ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Chins

I don't think we've seen the real Coach Chin yet. By nature he's an aggressive coach who's not afraid to take risk if there's a decent chance it'll work out. Unfortunately our pass rush hasn't been effective enough for us to take many chances.

Hopefully the pass rush develops and we get to see what Chin really has in store for our Blackshirts!

Reactions: bshirt73
91171633.jpg.11803.0_display_image.jpg

Just need a pass rush. Get that and everyone will think he’s a genius
People didn’t like Charlie McBride at first either. Tons of complaints about how his slow Big 8 defense could not keep up with the Florida schools. And there was some truth to those complaints. So... NU shifted its recruiting focus in the early 90’s and started recruiting speed on defense. McBride suddenly became a riverboat gambler, playing man to man in the secondary and then blitzing the shit out of QB’s. The rest is history.

But it was a defense geared toward crushing the pocket passer offenses from Florida. It remained vulnerable, as all man to man schemes are, to the dual threat QB. It wasn’t a fluke that Corby Jones shredded that defense in 97.

It remains to be seen what our identity on defense will be under Chins. It looks to me like we want speed, speed, and more speed. McBride part II. Frost remembers those defenses too....

People didn’t like Charlie McBride at first either. Tons of complaints about how his slow Big 8 defense could not keep up with the Florida schools. And there was some truth to those complaints. So... NU shifted its recruiting focus in the early 90’s and started recruiting speed on defense. McBride suddenly became a riverboat gambler, playing man to man in the secondary and then blitzing the shit out of QB’s. The rest is history.

But it was a defense geared toward crushing the pocket passer offenses from Florida. It remained vulnerable, as all man to man schemes are, to the dual threat QB. It wasn’t a fluke that Corby Jones shredded that defense in 97.

It remains to be seen what our identity on defense will be under Chins. It looks to me like we want speed, speed, and more speed. McBride part II. Frost remembers those defenses too....
McBride laid the framework for how to stop offenses like what spurrier ran. No defense can be quite as effective against a dual threat QB.

I wouldn't say "we just need to get a pass rush" as we need several other things. Like better tackling, better technique getting off blocks, better communication and coverage so we don't give up the big 3rd down plays.

Our LB play has not been stellar by any measurement. Do we just have marginal players or is it something else. Asking for a friend.

I hope Chin figures it out here also. But right now there is no history that says he will be able to do that. If I am wrong please show me where it happened for longer than a game or so and ever against a decent offense! And no I will not find Auburn in the bowl game an acceptable example!

I don't think we've seen the real Coach Chin yet. By nature he's an aggressive coach who's not afraid to take risk if there's a decent chance it'll work out. Unfortunately our pass rush hasn't been effective enough for us to take many chances.

Hopefully the pass rush develops and we get to see what Chin really has in store for our Blackshirts!
It's kind of his responsibility to be able to generate a pass rush.

Down the stretch? You mean Maryland and Iowa the 2 worst offenses in the Big Ten? Not sure that says much. Early and late against Iowa I would not say the defense performed well at all!

Reactions: oldjar07
Down the stretch? You mean Maryland and Iowa the 2 worst offenses in the Big Ten? Not sure that says much. Early and late against Iowa I would not say the defense performed well at all!
the last sentence of every one of your posts ends in a !

I love it, cracks me up every time

How bout Wisconsin? 31 points if you exclude the special teams TD that screwed us. They played well enough for us to be in a position to win.

Edit: 30 points actually. I can’t math.

Last edited:

Northwestern may have had the worst offense of all time

Reactions: bigredhunter
He and the defense get more criticism than they deserve. What side of the ball improved this year from last year—offense, defense, or special teams? Which side of the ball bailed out the other side time and time again? Which coach had his job threatened the most by fans?

Chins and the defense were not the problem this year. They were serviceable—not great—but good enough to win more than 5 games. I don’t think we’ll ever have elite defenses under Chins, but above average should be damn good enough if this offense ever gets going like it’s supposed to, and special teams are no longer atrocious.

I do have to correct myself. Iowa and Maryland were 10th and 12th in the league in Big Ten games in scoring. However Iowa did score more than their average against us and Maryland was just under their normal output. Wisconsin also had about their normal offensive output as they averaged 30 points a game in conference! Add in Taylor had over 200 yards rushing so I would not call that a great defensive effort either!

McBride’s worst defenses were still way better than Chins best defense.

I’ll say this about the defense, they did NOT have the correct personnel out there. I’m willing to give this all some time and stop being a negative pansy like I was during the season. I saw progress towards the end. I can see the vision. I think we will be much better next year

I wouldn't say "we just need to get a pass rush" as we need several other things. Like better tackling, better technique getting off blocks, better communication and coverage so we don't give up the big 3rd down plays.

Our LB play has not been stellar by any measurement. Do we just have marginal players or is it something else. Asking for a friend.

I thought the rush D was better than the pass D. Two games where our lanes were horrible that stuck out were Minney and Wisc. The LB were especially bad in Minn. However, that team lost as soon as the went down on the score board. That was a hornets nest.

obviously the guy's been a lightning rod on the board, but credit where it's due: Coach Chins has gotten a lot of positive recognition on the recruiting front these past two weeks.

has he closed on anybody?

Really going to throw Georgia Tech in Charlie's memory when Charlie gave up over 40 a total of 4 times in 19 years and Chin has already given up 40 or more 4 times with one of those in the 50's? I might add one of the games for Charlie was against O-State when the offense scored 63. That seems like a fair comparison! Add in Georgia Tech ended that season ranked Numero Uno!

In fairness, I don’t think the tackling has been nearly as bad as it was under teams before Frost. Of course an improvement at the linebacker position is important but the lack of any pressure by a front 4 really stunts what a team wants to do. Furthermore, when he sent an extra player or two they also couldn’t get to the QB which left receivers wide open.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Really going to throw Georgia Tech in Charlie's memory when Charlie gave up over 40 a total of 4 times in 19 years and Chin has already given up 40 or more 4 times with one of those in the 50's? I might add one of the games for Charlie was against O-State when the offense scored 63. That seems like a fair comparison! Add in Georgia Tech ended that season ranked Numero Uno!

Lol, my post was more about the idea that Charlie's worst defenses were better than Chins best. Peter Tom Willis also says hi. Troy Edwards and Tim Rattay also give their thumbs up here.

The big difference is Charlie saw that something was not working right and he went out of his comfort zone and fixed the issue. Also if someone was screwing up, Coach McBride would sit their ass.

I don’t see Chin doing either

I hope Chin figures it out here also. But right now there is no history that says he will be able to do that. If I am wrong please show me where it happened for longer than a game or so and ever against a decent offense! And no I will not find Auburn in the bowl game an acceptable example!
You know, this is an opinion-based board :p You don't have to qualify yourself all over the place. Just say you don't like Chins. You ask for people to convince you then qualify what they can use as evidence. You've already made up your mind, just own it.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
10 of your 24 points were scored by the Nebraska D, were they not? Also 1 TD given up by NE was a kick return. It would appear that of the 27 Iowa points your defense in a overall sense gave up 10. That’s good imo.

We finished 95th in rush defense. I don't care how bad the offense was, the defense wasn't much better. Not going to win a lot of games giving up nearly 200 rushing yards per contest.

Reactions: phoenix4nu
Defense gave up runs of 45 and 55 for touchdowns in the first quarter. Not sure where you are getting ten points allowed from!

In fairness, I don’t think the tackling has been nearly as bad as it was under teams before Frost. Of course an improvement at the linebacker position is important but the lack of any pressure by a front 4 really stunts what a team wants to do. Furthermore, when he sent an extra player or two they also couldn’t get to the QB which left receivers wide open.

The numbers don't lie. See above posts for total D. Our tackling was dismal at best. In fairness, the philosophy of Chins D is to get lots of people to the ball which led to much of the over pursuit I believe. But there is no sugar coating this tackling as a team, it was not good.

Defense gave up runs of 45 and 55 for touchdowns in the first quarter. Not sure where you are getting ten points allowed from!
Iowa scored 20 points on the defense (7 was kick return)
NE defense however effectively scored 10 points of its own via pick six and generating turnover for fg.
Thus overall yielded 10 points.

He and the defense get more criticism than they deserve. What side of the ball improved this year from last year—offense, defense, or special teams? Which side of the ball bailed out the other side time and time again? Which coach had his job threatened the most by fans?

Chins and the defense were not the problem this year. They were serviceable—not great—but good enough to win more than 5 games. I don’t think we’ll ever have elite defenses under Chins, but above average should be damn good enough if this offense ever gets going like it’s supposed to, and special teams are no longer atrocious.
The defense gave our offense the ball what 5 times in the first half of a game this year ON the opponents side of the field and we scored I think 13 points out of that. Hell I think he gave the O the ball inside the 5 once and we failed to score. Yes we lost that game. Purdue maybe?

I miss ‘Mangino math’ on unsportsmanlike conduct when Kugler and Severe were the hosts.
Questions like “What weighs more, Mark Mangino, or two refrigerators each with 8 gallons of milk inside?” were fantastic. (Btw the answer was Mangino)

Reactions: BroskiRed
The defense gave our offense the ball what 5 times in the first half of a game this year ON the opponents side of the field and we scored I think 13 points out of that. Hell I think he gave the O the ball inside the 5 once and we failed to score. Yes we lost that game. Purdue maybe?

Yeah, not to mention gave us the ball back from a fumble with the chance to win late in the Iowa game. And kept us in the game i the first place with an INT return for a score.

obviously the guy's been a lightning rod on the board, but credit where it's due: Coach Chins has gotten a lot of positive recognition on the recruiting front these past two weeks.

Doesn't matter if they are taught the same bad habits, fundamentals, techniques , and schemes by Chins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT