Coach Chins

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by Top_Gun_, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Top_Gun_

Top_Gun_ Junior
    Expand Collapse

obviously the guy's been a lightning rod on the board, but credit where it's due: Coach Chins has gotten a lot of positive recognition on the recruiting front these past two weeks.

2. c3o

c3o Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Just need a pass rush. Get that and everyone will think he’s a genius

3. bigredhunter

bigredhunter Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

I don't think we've seen the real Coach Chin yet. By nature he's an aggressive coach who's not afraid to take risk if there's a decent chance it'll work out. Unfortunately our pass rush hasn't been effective enough for us to take many chances.

Hopefully the pass rush develops and we get to see what Chin really has in store for our Blackshirts!

bshirt73 likes this.
  4. WHCSC

WHCSC Senior
    Expand Collapse

5. Pennsyhusker

Pennsyhusker Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

People didn’t like Charlie McBride at first either. Tons of complaints about how his slow Big 8 defense could not keep up with the Florida schools. And there was some truth to those complaints. So... NU shifted its recruiting focus in the early 90’s and started recruiting speed on defense. McBride suddenly became a riverboat gambler, playing man to man in the secondary and then blitzing the shit out of QB’s. The rest is history.

But it was a defense geared toward crushing the pocket passer offenses from Florida. It remained vulnerable, as all man to man schemes are, to the dual threat QB. It wasn’t a fluke that Corby Jones shredded that defense in 97.

It remains to be seen what our identity on defense will be under Chins. It looks to me like we want speed, speed, and more speed. McBride part II. Frost remembers those defenses too....

6. Crazyhole

Crazyhole Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

McBride laid the framework for how to stop offenses like what spurrier ran. No defense can be quite as effective against a dual threat QB.

bshirt73 and Pennsyhusker like this.
  7. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

The problem is, his defense at UCF was also pretty bad, despite having a great pass-rusher like Griffin and several other future NFL draft picks while playing in non-P5 conference.

8. TruHusker

TruHusker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't say "we just need to get a pass rush" as we need several other things. Like better tackling, better technique getting off blocks, better communication and coverage so we don't give up the big 3rd down plays.

Our LB play has not been stellar by any measurement. Do we just have marginal players or is it something else. Asking for a friend.

oldjar07 and Husker_AMG63 like this.
  9. kidofSN

kidofSN Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

I hope Chin figures it out here also. But right now there is no history that says he will be able to do that. If I am wrong please show me where it happened for longer than a game or so and ever against a decent offense! And no I will not find Auburn in the bowl game an acceptable example!

Husker_AMG63 and hzzz like this.
  10. Wannabee8

Wannabee8 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Just my opinion, but I thought the defense improved a lot and looked considerably better down the stretch. I was more concerned with the offense down the stretch. Seeing Mills improve was nice though.

11. oldjar07

oldjar07 Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

It's kind of his responsibility to be able to generate a pass rush.

12. kidofSN

Expand Collapse

Down the stretch? You mean Maryland and Iowa the 2 worst offenses in the Big Ten? Not sure that says much. Early and late against Iowa I would not say the defense performed well at all!

oldjar07 likes this.
  13. Top_Gun_

Top_Gun_ Junior
    Expand Collapse

the last sentence of every one of your posts ends in a !

I love it, cracks me up every time

14. Wannabee8

Wannabee8 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

How bout Wisconsin? 31 points if you exclude the special teams TD that screwed us. They played well enough for us to be in a position to win.

Edit: 30 points actually. I can’t math.

14 Wannabee8, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  15. c3o

c3o Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Northwestern may have had the worst offense of all time

bigredhunter likes this.
  16. CC_Lemming

CC_Lemming First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

He and the defense get more criticism than they deserve. What side of the ball improved this year from last year—offense, defense, or special teams? Which side of the ball bailed out the other side time and time again? Which coach had his job threatened the most by fans?

Chins and the defense were not the problem this year. They were serviceable—not great—but good enough to win more than 5 games. I don’t think we’ll ever have elite defenses under Chins, but above average should be damn good enough if this offense ever gets going like it’s supposed to, and special teams are no longer atrocious.

17. kidofSN

Expand Collapse

I do have to correct myself. Iowa and Maryland were 10th and 12th in the league in Big Ten games in scoring. However Iowa did score more than their average against us and Maryland was just under their normal output. Wisconsin also had about their normal offensive output as they averaged 30 points a game in conference! Add in Taylor had over 200 yards rushing so I would not call that a great defensive effort either!

18. Bullsky

Bullsky Blackshirt
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

McBride’s worst defenses were still way better than Chins best defense.

spinner4 and Husker_AMG63 like this.
  19. c3o

c3o Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

I’ll say this about the defense, they did NOT have the correct personnel out there. I’m willing to give this all some time and stop being a negative pansy like I was during the season. I saw progress towards the end. I can see the vision. I think we will be much better next year

bshirt73 and Pennsyhusker like this.
  20. Crazyhole

Expand Collapse

Georgia Tech says hi.

TheBeav815, OzzyLvr and Pennsyhusker like this.
  21. c3o

c3o Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

I thought the rush D was better than the pass D. Two games where our lanes were horrible that stuck out were Minney and Wisc. The LB were especially bad in Minn. However, that team lost as soon as the went down on the score board. That was a hornets nest.

22. redli

redli Senior
    Expand Collapse

has he closed on anybody?

23. kidofSN

Expand Collapse

Really going to throw Georgia Tech in Charlie's memory when Charlie gave up over 40 a total of 4 times in 19 years and Chin has already given up 40 or more 4 times with one of those in the 50's? I might add one of the games for Charlie was against O-State when the offense scored 63. That seems like a fair comparison! Add in Georgia Tech ended that season ranked Numero Uno!

24. chicolby

chicolby First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

In fairness, I don’t think the tackling has been nearly as bad as it was under teams before Frost. Of course an improvement at the linebacker position is important but the lack of any pressure by a front 4 really stunts what a team wants to do. Furthermore, when he sent an extra player or two they also couldn’t get to the QB which left receivers wide open.

OzzyLvr likes this.
  25. Crazyhole

Expand Collapse

Lol, my post was more about the idea that Charlie's worst defenses were better than Chins best. Peter Tom Willis also says hi. Troy Edwards and Tim Rattay also give their thumbs up here.

26. spinner4

spinner4 First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

The big difference is Charlie saw that something was not working right and he went out of his comfort zone and fixed the issue. Also if someone was screwing up, Coach McBride would sit their ass.

I don’t see Chin doing either

27. dand84

dand84 Senior
    Expand Collapse

You know, this is an opinion-based board :p You don't have to qualify yourself all over the place. Just say you don't like Chins. You ask for people to convince you then qualify what they can use as evidence. You've already made up your mind, just own it.

Top_Gun_ likes this.
  28. desihawk

desihawk Newbie
    Expand Collapse

10 of your 24 points were scored by the Nebraska D, were they not? Also 1 TD given up by NE was a kick return. It would appear that of the 27 Iowa points your defense in a overall sense gave up 10. That’s good imo.

timnsun, bshirt73, bigboxes and 2 others like this.
  29. Chuck003

Chuck003 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

We finished 95th in rush defense. I don't care how bad the offense was, the defense wasn't much better. Not going to win a lot of games giving up nearly 200 rushing yards per contest.

phoenix4nu likes this.
  30. kidofSN

Expand Collapse

Defense gave up runs of 45 and 55 for touchdowns in the first quarter. Not sure where you are getting ten points allowed from!

31. barney44

barney44 Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

Are you saying he ate chins?

grayhairedfreak likes this.
  32. TruHusker

TruHusker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

The numbers don't lie. See above posts for total D. Our tackling was dismal at best. In fairness, the philosophy of Chins D is to get lots of people to the ball which led to much of the over pursuit I believe. But there is no sugar coating this tackling as a team, it was not good.

huskerfan66 and oldjar07 like this.
  33. Bullsky

Bullsky Blackshirt
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Tech was national champ.

34. Crazyhole

Expand Collapse

Wait? Seriously?

35. desihawk

desihawk Newbie
    Expand Collapse

Iowa scored 20 points on the defense (7 was kick return)
    NE defense however effectively scored 10 points of its own via pick six and generating turnover for fg.
    Thus overall yielded 10 points.

36. dinglefritz

dinglefritz College Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

The defense gave our offense the ball what 5 times in the first half of a game this year ON the opponents side of the field and we scored I think 13 points out of that. Hell I think he gave the O the ball inside the 5 once and we failed to score. Yes we lost that game. Purdue maybe?

timnsun and Top_Gun_ like this.
  37. vs540husker

vs540husker Defensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I miss ‘Mangino math’ on unsportsmanlike conduct when Kugler and Severe were the hosts.
    Questions like “What weighs more, Mark Mangino, or two refrigerators each with 8 gallons of milk inside?” were fantastic. (Btw the answer was Mangino)

BroskiRed likes this.
  38. CC_Lemming

CC_Lemming First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, not to mention gave us the ball back from a fumble with the chance to win late in the Iowa game. And kept us in the game i the first place with an INT return for a score.

39. WestCoastCornhusker2

Expand Collapse

Doesn't matter if they are taught the same bad habits, fundamentals, techniques , and schemes by Chins.

40. Top_Gun_

Top_Gun_ Junior
    Expand Collapse

Oh, okay, thanks. They should probably just forfeit the next season & fold the football program altogether.