ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Cav

redinpuyallup

Oct 8, 2016
Puyallup Wa. via Hastings, Ne.
I have been a long time "lurker" on this board and a Big Red fan since growing up in Nebraska in the 1960's and 70's. Now, I'm a teacher at Graham Kapowsin High School outside of Seattle and currently have Foster Sarell in my Advanced Placement Government and Politics class. He was was in my Economics 2 years ago. Coach Cav was in town (4th time I have chatted with him while he is town while recruiting Foster) for the GK game last night. Every time I chat with Coach Cav, I come away more impressed with him as a gentleman. The genuine relationships he develops with his men epitomizes what is great about college football and I can tell you first hand that Foster loves the man and wants to play for him. I try not influence Foster (obviously I would love him to choose Nebraska) as I don't want to abuse my position in a student-teacher relationship. Listening to Cav go on and on about "his guys" as individuals left me proud to Husker fan. If Foster chooses Nebraska, it will be because of Coach Cav.

I know my first post after ten years wasn't much of substance, but I felt compelled to post this after my interactions with the man.

I have been a long time "lurker" on this board and a Big Red fan since growing up in Nebraska in the 1960's and 70's. Now, I'm a teacher at Graham Kapowsin High School outside of Seattle and currently have Foster Sarell in my Advanced Placement Government and Politics class. He was was in my Economics 2 years ago. Coach Cav was in town (4th time I have chatted with him while he is town while recruiting Foster) for the GK game last night. Every time I chat with Coach Cav, I come away more impressed with him as a gentleman. The genuine relationships he develops with his men epitomizes what is great about college football and I can tell you first hand that Foster loves the man and wants to play for him. I try not influence Foster (obviously I would love him to choose Nebraska) as I don't want to abuse my position in a student-teacher relationship. Listening to Cav go on and on about "his guys" as individuals left me proud to Husker fan. If Foster chooses Nebraska, it will be because of Coach Cav.

I know my first post after ten years wasn't much of substance, but I felt compelled to post this after my interactions with the man.
It was a great post after 10 years... shows once again how genuine these coaches are.

Post more often!

Great first post! Does Foster have any interest in Washington? I was wondering if their recent success was a big factor for him.

Reactions: ForeverHusker
Great first post! Does Foster have any interest in Washington? I was wondering if their recent success was a big factor for him.
Washington sure is after him. Peterson tried a Gary Pinkel trick and helicoptered in for the Curtis game. However, they wouldn't allow him to land at the high school so he had to land at a nearby airport. It kind of lost its impact! He really doesn't talk to much about UW. He liked his Notre Dame trip during the summer but would be surprised if he ended up there. In my opinion after talking with him. it's a two team race and Nebraska is one of them and UW isn't.

Washington sure is after him. Peterson tried a Gary Pinkel trick and helicoptered in for the Curtis game. However, they wouldn't allow him to land at the high school so he had to land at a nearby airport. It kind of lost its impact! He really doesn't talk to much about UW. He liked his Notre Dame trip during the summer but would be surprised if he ended up there. In my opinion after talking with him. it's a two team race and Nebraska is one of them and UW isn't.

Maybe you have some "influence" or can be an "advisor". Winking

Normally I would agree you shouldn't abuse your position to exert undue influence. However, in this case since him coming to Nebraska is clearly the only logical choice, I say go for it :)

Since he is into politics, consider telling him politics in Nebraska are pretty weak, so after he plays here and finishes his pro career, he can run for Nebraska governor and win.

Great post - thanks.

Are you a donor/booster? If so , walk wide. If not, then it's your call. Totally understand and appreciate your situation. Hopefully Foster does as well.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Not a booster, or even a graduate of UNL. I did my undergraduate work at UW Seattle. I was a student in the stands in my Husker gear in 92 when Mike Grant was tackeled for a safety. I think that was his last game as a starter. In fact, I have been to all the Husky v Husker games except the Holiday Bowl game, always in my Husker gear. I did my graduate work at Univ of Kansas in Lawrence.

Even though I have no formal ties, I just don't feel it's right to try and pressure him, and I certainly don't want him to think he might get a break from me in an AP class. It's a tough class and I'm a tough teacher. His education is my number one priority and he will earn his grade. Secondly, It's an important decision for him and he's got to make it.

He knows my passion on the Huskers. I wear my jersey every Friday. I've got a couple Husker posters in my classroom. Whenever he asks a question, like who's my favorite Husker lineman is (Dave Remington and Zach Wiegert) I'll answer. I just don't bring the subject of football up in conversation.

It is an interesting question since I have no formal ties. I guess I could teach him a little more about Husker history and "the Nebraska way". Actually, as I struggle with this, I would like other people's opinion on this. Thanks for making me feel welcome. I wouldn't have waited 10 years to post.

Nothing wrong with wearing some husker gear on casual friday

Wear a different Husker polo shirt or a tie every day. Put up some Husker posters and play There is No Place Like Nebraska to begin each hour of the day. Show some Husker videos from their Twitter account to end the hour. I could go on and on!! Winking

Last edited:

Your first post in 10 years was far more readworthy than most in that span of time, including the vast majority of mine! Thanks for sharing!

I think your approach to the situation is great. Obviously, we'd all like for you to pitch Nebraska at every appropriate opportunity, but I respect your stance as a teacher a lot more and I think it's great that you're putting that first.

~

Wear a different Husker polo shirt or a tie every day. Put up some Husker posters and play There is No Place Like Nebraska to begin each hour of the day. Show some Husker videos from their Twitter account to end the hour. I could go on and on!! Winking

How about the 1995 Fiesta Bowl on an endless loop? I know I never tire of that game.

If I ever make a post that gives that kind of insight i'll be amazed haha. I respect your stance as an educator, but I wouldn't be afraid to pimp your favorite school to him every now and again.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Good stuff thanks for sharing, he would be a fantastic get, great player and young man it appears.

Foster is a great kid. You should see him on the basketball court. The feet this kid has for his size is freakish. Six foot six and well over 300 running the wing on the fast break is an amazing sight. Let's just say I wouldn't want to be the one taking a charge.

He's also a very solid student and takes his acedemics very seriously. He takes mostly AP classes. In my AP class he has his first exam of the year next week. So we shall see. But who ever can get through Federalist #10 by Madison and fully understand it after reading it the first time should be ok.

Last edited:
Shows how classy of a guy you are by not trying to pressure the young man into a decision. I can only imagine how tough of a decision this would be for a young man and his family to make. Keep showing him how to be a great young man and he will make the best decision for him.

GO BIG RED

Reactions: huskerfan66
Shows how classy of a guy you are by not trying to pressure the young man into a decision. I can only imagine how tough of a decision this would be for a young man and his family to make. Keep showing him how to be a great young man and he will make the best decision for him.

GO BIG RED
I appreciate the kind words but I'm only doing what's right and what any person in my position should do. An old man like me shouldn't be pushing my biases, in football teams or in politics, on 18 year old young adults. It's my job to teach kids to develop their own opinions based on evidence, reason, and theory. Foster will do just fine and make the best decision for him. But man, he would look good in red!

GBR!

Great news that Foster has us on his short list. He seems like he's a humble kid and really keeps things close to the vest on his recruitment so it really is hard to get a read on what he's thinking. Perhaps we will all be pleasantly surprised once he announces .. Stanford is my big worry

Reactions: redinpuyallup
Giving the kid balanced, truthful information is what mentors are supposed to do.

Doing it "right" would mean not misleading him.

You're safe for doing little; but, that doesn't make it "right".

Thanks for posting. Its good information.

Not a booster, or even a graduate of UNL. I did my undergraduate work at UW Seattle. I was a student in the stands in my Husker gear in 92 when Mike Grant was tackeled for a safety. I think that was his last game as a starter. In fact, I have been to all the Husky v Husker games except the Holiday Bowl game, always in my Husker gear. I did my graduate work at Univ of Kansas in Lawrence.

Even though I have no formal ties, I just don't feel it's right to try and pressure him, and I certainly don't want him to think he might get a break from me in an AP class. It's a tough class and I'm a tough teacher. His education is my number one priority and he will earn his grade. Secondly, It's an important decision for him and he's got to make it.

He knows my passion on the Huskers. I wear my jersey every Friday. I've got a couple Husker posters in my classroom. Whenever he asks a question, like who's my favorite Husker lineman is (Dave Remington and Zach Wiegert) I'll answer. I just don't bring the subject of football up in conversation.

It is an interesting question since I have no formal ties. I guess I could teach him a little more about Husker history and "the Nebraska way". Actually, as I struggle with this, I would like other people's opinion on this. Thanks for making me feel welcome. I wouldn't have waited 10 years to post.

I think your playing it right, and I believe that intrigues him some that you are not pushing him. You do you sir!

Do the right thing. Abuse your position of authority.

Great OP!

Reactions: huskergibob

It seems the top four schools are Stanford, Washington, Notre Dame and Nebraska. His Mom has instilled the importance of education into Foster. The degree is more important than football. Or is as important as football. Foster takes football very seriously. Both aspects get great attention. My feeling is the prestige and supposed superiority of a degree from Stanford and Notre Dame outweigh a degree from Washington and Nebraska.

I think a Stanford degree gets your foot in the door. Certainly more interview opportunities and probably job offers. I think a more important factor is work ethic and mind set once the job is secured. That is where the personal make-up of a person becomes the most enduring reason for success. Sometimes, I check where a CEO gets his/her undergraduate degree from. I don't see Stanford mentioned inordinately so. I often think the private sector has different criteria for offering jobs than the general public believes is so. A lot of smaller, less renown schools have sent tons of graduates to the leadership ranks of the private and public sector.

My question for you is if you believe a degree from Nebraska is of lesser quality than the other 3 finalists? Does the Sarrell family believe the NU degree is of lesser quality? I think the intrinsic and innate qualities of a person take over once a job is started. Over a period of time, those characteristics stand out and employers figure it out. A resume is one thing, but a very detailed interview gives you HD picture. If you believe the NU degree is comparable, I don't think telling Foster what you think is stepping out of line. You have many years of work experience. You appear honest and straightforward. When is that a bad thing? I just don't want Foster and his family thinking a Nebraska degree is automatically inferior to those schools. Also, whatever particular major a kid wants is important. A discipline within a college can differ amongst all colleges and universities. Schools have different strengths and weaknesses just like players.

I think you're handling it right. If there is ever any doubt, just tell him what you've told us. That you're a huge husker fan, and then that sometimes you may get excoted and hype you're team, but that he should realize that it is just in good fun. And while you would love to see him attend there, his college choice will have absolutely no bearing on how you treat him as a student.

But be sure you are casual about it don't want to overdo it.

You need to meet our very own @ScienceGuy08
He is our head recruiter out of science class in Sioux Falls SD and is renowned for his ability at swaying his students our direction as well as other things.

Don't change a thing. Follow your gut. Your priorities are where they need to be.

Not sure if you have seen the movie focus with Will Smith and Margot Robbie, if nothing else it's worth the watch because of Margot. You need to get with a psych teacher and make him choose to be N with subliminal messages like they did in the movie focus, he may choose to be N anyways but this couldn't hurt with no one being the wiser. Lol, I'm kidding, no do it. Kidding, but seriously you should do it.

Reactions: pivopils

You could always put up a poster of Notre Dame Stadium, game day vs. Nebraska, 2000.

AAEJ008.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT