ADVERTISEMENT

Clowney hit dirty?

I'm an Eagles fan. Yes, should have been a penalty. That said, I'm not holding any ill will against Clowney. It's a violent sport and these things can happen. I don't think he intended to cause a concussion.

The Eagles were fortunate to make it to the playoffs, being decimated by injuries throughout the season. They have a lot of work to do in the offseason. They need to get younger and faster.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Led with the crown. Targeted his head. Textbook targeting. Should have been a penalty, tossed and fined. I'm not an Eagles fan either.
Definitely changed the game and probably the outcome. I LOVE violent hitting but I HATE those hits on guys who are obviously on the way down OR are already down. It's chicken shit football and somebody should have gone after Clowney after that hit.

Led with the crown. Targeted his head. Textbook targeting. Should have been a penalty, tossed and fined. I'm not an Eagles fan either.
IDK...Wentz has a responsibility to give himself up 5 yards before...he instead decided he was going to dive head first to get more yardage...a defender dives head first into a runner who is diving head first...no penalty. Carson is a 240 pound TE with good speed who also happens to throw. If he can't take the hits he needs to play within his means. That is the downside of being a dual threat. We can't make football a game where 240 pound qbs can run around, run head first with their crown perpendicular to the ground and not expect to take hits.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
BS hit should have been tossed...Saints fan..
As a Vikings fan, sorry man. Can't believe they didn't call that an offensive PI. Yeah they were hand fighting but IF it had been the other way around, I would have wanted that called. That said, I don't think the Saints or the Vikes were/are destined to win the next round.

As a Vikings fan, sorry man. Can't believe they didn't call that an offensive PI. Yeah they were hand fighting but IF it had been the other way around, I would have wanted that called. That said, I don't think the Saints or the Vikes were/are destined to win the next round.
After the 2009 bountygate game Vikings fans never have to apologize to Saints fans for ANYTHING, not even the Minneapolis Miracle made up for that game. I thought offensive PI could have been called, but since it wasn't called on the field I'm not surprised the replay officials didn't change the call. There were other non-calls that helped the Saints - on Thielens fumble the Vikes false started, which should have negated that play, they also missed a defensive PI call that kept Rudolph from making a key third down catch earlier in the game. The teams combined for 9 penalties, the refs were either lazy, or just decided to let them play.

It looks like Wentz diving/rolling towards Clowney's feet/legs contributed to Clowney's body position when contact was made, so I'm going to go with "not a dirty play". Of course if the QB had been Brady or Rodgers every official in the stadium would have thrown a flag and booted Clowney.
Exactly why the flag should have been thrown

It looks like Wentz diving/rolling towards Clowney's feet/legs contributed to Clowney's body position when contact was made, so I'm going to go with "not a dirty play". Of course if the QB had been Brady or Rodgers every official in the stadium would have thrown a flag and booted Clowney.

Agreed. It looked to me more like he was falling than trying to drive his helmet into Wentz.

It ticks me off that a ball carrier can lower his head and drive into a defender and it's no big deal, but if a defender reacts to that act or gets tripped up and is penalized for something far less egregious

I do think he was trying to punish Wentz with his shoulder. Wentz not afforded any special protection as he was a runner at that point and not sliding. Not sure the helmet to hemet was intentional but definitely trying to make him feel the tackle. Guess we’ll see if the league fines him.

The NFL should replay the game from that play forward. Penalize the Seahawks 15 yards, disqualify Clowney, and continue play. First down, Philadelphia. Delay the remainder of the playoffs 1 week (or however long it takes for Carson Wentz to be cleared medically) so that these two teams can duke it out to the finish. I'm waiting, Roger...

Oh...and fresh drinks for everyone at the Linc.

Last edited:
Exactly why the flag should have been thrown
The Eagles use Wentz as a running threat. The Seahawks have to gameplan around him running and getting extra yards because of his size and speed. If Brady or Brees were diving head first in such a way it would be a wildly out of control play and it wouldn't be a flag because they would appear out of control. They would have been sliding or if not they would be taking a huge hit. Brees has endured plenty of concussions.

Back in the day I think they called that "spearing". It was a cheap shot whether he was a QB or a RB. Years ago that would have been cause for a good shot to his knees by a TE cracking back on the next play.
Yep I was thinking the same thing, just like if you crowed the plate against Bob Gibson, you’d be sent a message really fast don’t do that when I’m pitching.

IDK...Wentz has a responsibility to give himself up 5 yards before...he instead decided he was going to dive head first to get more yardage...a defender dives head first into a runner who is diving head first...no penalty. Carson is a 240 pound TE with good speed who also happens to throw. If he can't take the hits he needs to play within his means. That is the downside of being a dual threat. We can't make football a game where 240 pound qbs can run around, run head first with their crown perpendicular to the ground and not expect to take hits.

Carson should look across the field and watch Russell. Russell is the king of sliding. Since I live here in the Northwest I watch or listen to Hawks games (usually do something on Sundays after spending all day watching college football on Saturdays). I think the Hawks were the best team in the NFC the week they beat the 49ers in Santa Clara. They haven’t been the same team since. Too many injuries. I think their season comes to an end this Sunday in Green Bay.

Not a flag. If this was a rb there would be no flag. He acted and ran like a rb on this play. The qb should not get special treatment unless they are giving themselves up. If they want every inch on the run be prepared for what rb would get. Rb’s get that all game long. You can’t get both sides of the coin or whatever the right saying is.....

Reactions: rednwash

Wentz was going down in a forward motion, Clowney was coming from the side and behind. Clowneys feet were not close to being directed by what Wentz was doing.

I didn't watch the game, have no dog in the right but if there was intent in that hit then it it doesn't exist. Head down, he knows who he is going after, most guys would fly over the top and touch the QB, you know they are a protected species.

It's kind of amazing that a few people actually think Wentz was going after Clowney when it was physically impossible for him to do so.

Reactions: njmcm
Wentz was going down in a forward motion, Clowney was coming from the side and behind. Clowneys feet were not close to being directed by what Wentz was doing.

I didn't watch the game, have no dog in the right but if there was intent in that hit then it it doesn't exist. Head down, he knows who he is going after, most guys would fly over the top and touch the QB, you know they are a protected species.
Wentz shouldn't be rewarded with 15 yards when he is diving head first for an extra 5 yards. That is a competitive advantage for the offensive just because their qb is 40 pounds heavier than the average qb. If you don't want a concussion as a qb...don't scramble, or if you scramble follow the rules and slide.

I'm an Eagles fan. Yes, should have been a penalty. That said, I'm not holding any ill will against Clowney. It's a violent sport and these things can happen. I don't think he intended to cause a concussion.

The Eagles were fortunate to make it to the playoffs, being decimated by injuries throughout the season. They have a lot of work to do in the offseason. They need to get younger and faster.

The Hawks are pretty beat up as well. Lost all three of their running backs, two of their best offensive linemen, a good defensive linemen and linebacker. Running backs Rashaad Penny and Chris Carson’s season ending injuries sure hurts a Pete Carroll run offense. I am hoping the young Texas kid can take the Chiefs all the way. Wore a Chiefs hat to the movie 1917 tonight. Got a few ugly stares from those in neon green and dark blue. (Some people take their sports far too seriously) I would like to see Russell lead the boys to a win against the Packers, but I don’t think it will happen.

Reactions: skintight
What? You lost me here... Are you saying they should have penalized Wentz for causing Clowney to hit him in the head?
This has to rank right up there with all-time stupid posts.

Diving at players going down, leading with your head is one of the dumbest thing football hasn't done anything about. That's not football, not macho, it's a cheap shot plain and simple.

Reactions: Baxter48
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT