ADVERTISEMENT

Clock management sucked!

Y’all are in for a long SF tenure if these are your expectations. He’s going to run zone read the entire game. He’s going to be aggressive until the clock hits zero. He will absolutely not line up under center and hand the ball off to a fullback three times in a row. Those days are over and for your sanity I hope you get used to it

Agreed. They need to come to the realization it isn't 1995. We aren't going under center, and he is going to coach how he is going to coach. Everyone of us are the best Head Coach / Coordinator that has ever lived, and our way for for sure work.

Y’all are in for a long SF tenure if these are your expectations. He’s going to run zone read the entire game. He’s going to be aggressive until the clock hits zero. He will absolutely not line up under center and hand the ball off to a fullback three times in a row. Those days are over and for your sanity I hope you get used to it

I didn't find a rule in the 2018 NCAA Football Rules and Interpretations book that states teams can't run the play clock down to five seconds in order to shorten the game clock while running an aggressive zone read system.

Good thing teams are still allowed to milk the clock in any offensive system in 2018. Winking

4540.jpg

I didn't find a rule in the 2018 NCAA Football Rules and Interpretations book that states teams can't run the play clock down to five seconds in order to shorten the game clock while running an aggressive zone read system.

Good thing teams are still allowed to milk the clock in any offensive system in 2018. Winking

4540.jpg

9/10 on the sarcasm meter........ I approve!

Reactions: TFrazier

4540.jpg
What part of being aggressive for 60 minutes didn’t you get. He’s not going to go have his offense stand around for 30 seconds and run a play just because it’s the end of the game. He thinks it kills momentum and it gives the defense time to rest. You’re going to be disappointed every game for the next many years if you think he’s going to change

With no timeouts, you effectively take away short passes over the middle and runs. The clock stops on 1st downs until the set the ball. If the opponent spikes it, they burn a down and allows the defense to reset. The way the monitor subs, if the offense subs out, the ref holds up play for the defense to match personnel. Even with multiple timeouts and the benefit of less than spectacular clock management by Nebraska, Colorado still needed a brain fart by a senior hitting a defenseless receiver to keep the drive alive and another brain fart by a grad transfer not being in position on a long pass play to score the necessary points.

No one thinks I need to run temp here, because Colorado is going to score and I need as much time on the clock as possible after they do to go at least 70 yards.

Reactions: Cloud@Heart
With no timeouts, you effectively take away short passes over the middle and runs. The clock stops on 1st downs until the set the ball. If the opponent spikes it, they burn a down and allows the defense to reset. The way the monitor subs, if the offense subs out, the ref holds up play for the defense to match personnel. Even with multiple timeouts and the benefit of less than spectacular clock management by Nebraska, Colorado still needed a brain fart by a senior hitting a defenseless receiver to keep the drive alive and another brain fart by a grad transfer not being in position on a long pass play to score the necessary points.

No one thinks I need to run temp here, because Colorado is going to score and I need as much time on the clock as possible after they do to go at least 70 yards.
That last one you mentioned is a perfectly valid strategy and gives you a better chance to win than milking the clock in that situation.

Frost is a relatively new head coach who has just lost a very talented QB. He still has a lot to learn as he made some bone headed calls with us that just happened to work out overall. I'd give him and his staff a few years before panicking. You got beat by a very good Troy team.

His philosophy is to play fast and they do that no matter what time is on the clock. SF has done that everywhere he has been.

No, at UCF he would routinely, take the whole play clock if his D had just left the field. He would change pace all game long, to keep the D guessing.

Under Heupel, they put the pedal down all game, and are seconds faster ( they no longer line up, check the D alignment potentially change the call)than under the SF system. They try to catch the D not lined up, and have done so often.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT