ADVERTISEMENT

Clock management sucked!

My theory is that he (Frost) probably knew they weren't going to convert a first down on that possession after Martinez went down and Bunch having to come in quickly. So then try to put a sophomore walk-on QB in a position he's at least familiar with and try to convert. If it doesn't work, at least you got more time in the event Colorado kicks a FG and the QB has a few snaps at the tempo you want for a final drive.

While it was disappointing, in the end Nebraska still had chances to make plays to win the game and sadly weren't able to finish it.

The only thing I can think of is, it was a drive that started 1st and 20 with a sophomore walk-on QB. Frost played it safe (outside of JD’s drop)...knew CU would probably get it back with the potential to go up. Perhaps he was trying to give his offense the final chance, I don’t know. At the time, I was face palming myself.

My theory is that he (Frost) probably knew they weren't going to convert a first down on that possession after Martinez went down and Bunch having to come in quickly. So then try to put a sophomore walk-on QB in a position he's at least familiar with and try to convert. If it doesn't work, at least you got more time in the event Colorado kicks a FG and the QB has a few snaps at the tempo you want for a final drive.

While it was disappointing, in the end Nebraska still had chances to make plays to win the game and sadly weren't able to finish it.
I‘m thinking this also. And it almost worked.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86

I thought I heard SF allude to something like that on the radio after the game. Didn't hear the details, though.

The only thing I can think of is, it was a drive that started 1st and 20 with a sophomore walk-on QB. Frost played it safe (outside of JD’s drop)...knew CU would probably get it back with the potential to go up. Perhaps he was trying to give his offense the final chance, I don’t know. At the time, I was face palming myself.

Again, as I said, above,

I thought I heard SF allude to something like that on the radio after the game. Didn't hear the details, though.

It that's what he was thinking, then he wasn't thinking too well. Even for a walk-on QB, just standing for an extra 20 seconds each time should not be too much to grasp.

It that's what he was thinking, then he wasn't thinking too well. Even for a walk-on QB, just standing for an extra 20 seconds each time should not be too much to grasp.

Both quarterbacks were doing the exact same thing with the play clock in the fourth quarter so that strategy is coming from Coach Frost.

no Riley doesn't know this... he proved it time and again. quit listening to Brock Huard and you might be better off.

Nice assumption, but I wasn't listening to Huard..... Just watching a ball being snapped with 22 seconds left on the clock, knowing it was idiotic! (Even with a glitchy Espn 3 internet conection and radio feed)

I shouldn't have brought up Riley...

Reactions: TFrazier
Junior high coaches know better than to snap the ball with 15+ seconds left on the clock with the lead with under 3:00min to play. Piss poor! Did it 3 times in a row! Hell, even Riley knows this!

But if he would have done it then we wouldn't have had a final drive? They could have kicked the game winning field goal with no time or scored a deep td with 15 seconds left...the announcers were idiots complaining about the clock...both teams are hurry up offenses, colorado had 3 timeouts, running the clock was meaningless unless we could move the ball and get a first down, and that has to be the focus. Plus you have a guy who has never played trying to slow the pace...something they do not practice. We don't win that game by backing down and running the clock...we win that game by executing and we didn't do it. The best coaches don't win by doing what billy bob coach would have done back in 1967...he is trying to instill confidence in his team...sitting on that ball tells the team that he doesn't think the qb can play, the online can block, and the defense can get a stop. Who cares if we lose...the team knows their coach believes in them and he time they fail they learn how to succeed.

Huard's theory was that Frost just didn't want to deviate from "who we are" so wasn't willing to slow things down. I hope Frost isn't that rigid. I don't know what he was doing at that time.

But if he would have done it then we wouldn't have had a final drive? They could have kicked the game winning field goal with no time or scored a deep td with 15 seconds left...the announcers were idiots complaining about the clock...both teams are hurry up offenses, colorado had 3 timeouts, running the clock was meaningless unless we could move the ball and get a first down, and that has to be the focus. Plus you have a guy who has never played trying to slow the pace...something they do not practice. We don't win that game by backing down and running the clock...we win that game by executing and we didn't do it. The best coaches don't win by doing what billy bob coach would have done back in 1967...he is trying to instill confidence in his team...sitting on that ball tells the team that he doesn't think the qb can play, the online can block, and the defense can get a stop. Who cares if we lose...the team knows their coach believes in them and he time they fail they learn how to succeed.

This.
Thank you.

I disagree... The coach shows confidence in his back-up, his o-line, and his running backs by running the clock down and running the ball, while simultaneously showing confidence in his defense to stop the opposing team with 1:27 to play and only one timeout.

Billy Bob coaches from 1967.... Got me there!

Very poor clock management by Scott Frost today. Was very surprised nobody on his team did not notice this as well.

I apologize for questioning the decisions of our coaching staff and for having an opinion.... I guess I shouldn't do that on this message board, as I am not putting 400 hours a month into understanding how this team can truly perform.

I would still have questioned the clock management even if Bunch throws a TD at the end and the Huskers win. Hopefully I will have no further criticisms of this staff, or at least I will know to keep them to myself.

I saw 2 plays where Bunch snapped the ball with 25 seconds on the clock. You take a minute off the clock and it puts things into your favor. You run the RB's like Bell when they are averaging 8 yards a carry when there is 4 mins and the lead at mid-field. You grind 1st Downs not run zone read for your QB at 4 mins to go and up 1.

With 2:43 left and a first down, leading by a point, I don't care who your QB is, 99% of coaches are trying to run the clock down to a minute or at least time outs be taken.... Frost was not thinking his defense was going to fail him and that his offense would have to come back on the field and win the game....
Then they would have just used their timeouts and still had over 2 minutes left for a field goal attempt. I'm glad you're not the coach.

You're absolutely right. Anyone who says differently doesn't know what they're talking about.

Reactions: F5Tornado
If Nebraska hadn't turned it over 3 times, commit 11 penalties, drop a few crucial passes, it never would have come to the ending it did. Had Nebraska run it down to about a minute and a half and punted or gave it over on downs, cu still might have scored and then you're left with very little, if any time left to do something about it.

But you learn your lessons and try to get better for Troy.

I disagree... The coach shows confidence in his back-up, his o-line, and his running backs by running the clock down and running the ball, while simultaneously showing confidence in his defense to stop the opposing team with 1:27 to play and only one timeout.

Billy Bob coaches from 1967.... Got me there!
1:27 left with 1 timeout is an eternity when all you need is a field goal.

Reactions: xxUNRIVALEDxx
I have zero issues with the clock management. We had damn near 600 yards of total offense running the up tempo pace. Frost called an aggressive game the entire time and decided to keep the pressure on CU with that pace, rather than suddenly playing a slow-it-down, conservative game.

Had Spielman caught that perfectly thrown 3rd down pass, as he damn well should have, we wouldn't be having this conversation. The offensive scheme worked. The execution by one of our better players sucked.

They would have no timeouts so they may have not had to time to score other than a long field goal. The clock was at 40 seconds several times. His offense was tired. Clear as day.

Take some time and let your offensive line have maximum effort. We need first downs. Not more points. The punt was terrible as well.

What we did allowed Colorado to take their time and call whatever play instead of hurrying in their play calling allowing us the advantage.

The amount of time left after they scored was less than the time we could have run out the clock.

This was football 101 and we flunked.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
And going for it on all those 4th and 1's, and not making it.

Its the play calling on 4th.

This is why I wish someone could bring back Tom's offense.
Under center formations can be deadly.

Still miss the QB option out of the Maryland I on 4th downs.

Reactions: lemmy666rip
Then they would have just used their timeouts and still had over 2 minutes left for a field goal attempt. I'm glad you're not the coach.

I think that is what SF alluded to in his radio interview right at game's end. So, he factored the entire picture with cu's time outs, etc., and not just the clock

Reactions: xxUNRIVALEDxx
Junior high coaches know better than to snap the ball with 15+ seconds left on the clock with the lead with under 3:00min to play. Piss poor! Did it 3 times in a row! Hell, even Riley knows this!

I agree. It didn't make any sense. That should have been Nebraska's win. I really feel sorry for Martinez. He is something special. I hope he recovers fully so we can watch him for several years.

You grind 1st Downs not run zone read for your QB at 4 mins to go and up 1.
And going for it on all those 4th and 1's, and not making it.
Its the play calling on 4th.

This is why I wish someone could bring back Tom's offense.
Under center formations can be deadly.

Still miss the QB option out of the Maryland I on 4th downs.
Y’all are in for a long SF tenure if these are your expectations. He’s going to run zone read the entire game. He’s going to be aggressive until the clock hits zero. He will absolutely not line up under center and hand the ball off to a fullback three times in a row. Those days are over and for your sanity I hope you get used to it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT