ADVERTISEMENT

"Cliche Basis of the problem post"

Jhollenbeck41

Graduate Assistant
Nov 29, 2018
This is real, this is honest, and this is blunt. Here it is simply put. Going to fly over the heads of some people, but not everyone. We have too many guys on this team that play "at" Nebraska instead of playing "for" Nebraska and "for" Coach Frost. Each player in the 90s played "for" Nebraska and "for" T.O. Not just "at" Nebraska because they were recruited here and got a scholarship. Once we have enough guys starting, playing, and quality depth that play "for" Nebraska and "for" Coach Frost again, this shit will be special. It's glaringly from the TT this morning and from what we've seen on the field that some of these guys simply just do not care enough or don't care as much as others who really want this. And that's fine, but just not here.

Reactions: Gerard10
Fine, then start holding those players accountable. Most of us are tired of hearing about culture and buy-in at this point.

At this point it sounds like an excuse, not a reason. It should have been fixed by the end of last year. It sure sounded like it was fixed.

Play the players who play ‘for’ Nebraska. Sit the ones who play ‘at’ Nebraska, Scott. You have a long leash, so there should be no excuses at this point.

Fine, then start holding those players accountable. Most of us are tired of hearing about culture and buy-in at this point.

At this point it sounds like an excuse, not a reason. It should have been fixed by the end of last year. It sure sounded like it was fixed.

Play the players who play ‘for’ Nebraska. Sit the ones who play ‘at’ Nebraska, Scott. You have a long leash, so there should be no excuses at this point.
I get it. Doesn't make it any less true though.

This is real, this is honest, and this is blunt. Here it is simply put. Going to fly over the heads of some people, but not everyone. We have too many guys on this team that play "at" Nebraska instead of playing "for" Nebraska and "for" Coach Frost. Each player in the 90s played "for" Nebraska and "for" T.O. Not just "at" Nebraska because they were recruited here and got a scholarship. Once we have enough guys starting, playing, and quality depth that play "for" Nebraska and "for" Coach Frost again, this shit will be special. It's glaringly from the TT this morning and from what we've seen on the field that some of these guys simply just do not care enough or don't care as much as others who really want this. And that's fine, but just not here.

That will change. UCF players always said they would run through a brick wall for Frost. You can tell the freshman have the same mindset. So do a few sophomores. After Frost has two more classes in you will see that the players are going to work their butt off for Frost and not "at Nebraska" like you mention. "At Nebraska" has been the mentality for nearly two decades,but that will change.

Frost is still a young coach and ran into some problems of his own doing and some out of his control. MR was fired after 3 years. That was not a fair shake for MR, nor any coach as Bo actively encouraged kids to leave Nebraska and MR therefore only had 2 classes of his own to build on. He was also forced to change coaches after just two years. He was treated like crap, as were his players. Then a "savior" came in and basically stated that the guys here are garbage, that the previous staff was garbage, and we need better players..da, da, da. So a bunch left for Oregon state or transferred and went where they were wanted...a number of those guys would provide depth this year...and the leftovers had to continually answer questions about why they suck...because Frost doesn't suck, it must be the players. Frost did nothing to build up MRs players, he viewed them and still does as soft and inferior to the type of players he wants. He hasn't changed his scheme to match his players and hasn't maximized their limited talent. Some have embraced him and grown and developed but a lot are just beat down and hopeless. This is the main reason we continually underachieve. It will get better but this first 18 months has been a lesson in inefficiency and underachievement...maybe for the good but still

Reactions: tpmcg and dand84
Frost is still a young coach and ran into some problems of his own doing and some out of his control. MR was fired after 3 years. That was not a fair shake for MR, nor any coach as Bo actively encouraged kids to leave Nebraska and MR therefore only had 2 classes of his own to build on. He was also forced to change coaches after just two years. He was treated like crap, as were his players. Then a "savior" came in and basically stated that the guys here are garbage, that the previous staff was garbage, and we need better players..da, da, da. So a bunch left for Oregon state or transferred and went where they were wanted...a number of those guys would provide depth this year...and the leftovers had to continually answer questions about why they suck...because Frost doesn't suck, it must be the players. Frost did nothing to build up MRs players, he viewed them and still does as soft and inferior to the type of players he wants. He hasn't changed his scheme to match his players and hasn't maximized their limited talent. Some have embraced him and grown and developed but a lot are just beat down and hopeless. This is the main reason we continually underachieve. It will get better but this first 18 months has been a lesson in inefficiency and underachievement...maybe for the good but still
Bo encouraged kids to leave Nebraska? If that's the case then I think Riley did that too, right?

Reactions: huskerfan66

Same everywhere, no one plays for Michigan or Ohio State anymore either, it's just that is the ticket to get them in the NFL and they have smarter coaches and better players. It's no longer larger than life for most players.

Same everywhere, no one plays for Michigan or Ohio State anymore either, it's just that is the ticket to get them in the NFL and they have smarter coaches and better players. It's no longer larger than life for most players.
Isn't that what makes Nebraska unique though....landing those types of kids who are outliers that want to play for something more?

Is it "most" of us or the loudest of us?

Easy to say play those players, but do we really want a team of freshman, redshirt freshman, and sophs taking the field?

Bo encouraged kids to leave Nebraska? If that's the case then I think Riley did that too, right?
Didn't you watch his final speech to the team at North Star...it was leaked...and a good chunk of our dline left because of coach K....Bo is at YST for a reason...and a lot of it had to do with how he left the program. If he would have left with class I bet he is coaching somewhere in D1 right now...but he has another year or two and he will be a forever position coach.

I wonder if the Bama players all played FOR Alabama all these years during their championship runs?

I doubt it.

That whole 'play for' thing came about after the fact, the brotherhood and such during our dominating run, but it wasn't the cause of it, just an after effect.

If there are guys that don't love football who are on the team, then they need to go.. that one is pretty black and white. If you're just half assing it, then you don't love the game and don't really care.

I just read the transcript from that meeting. It didn't look to me like he encouraged anyone to leave. He did acknowledge that it would happen, as he referenced his time as a Buckeye when Earl Bruce was canned....and he did say he'd help out anyone with anything they needed. Nothing wrong with that.

I wonder if the Bama players all played FOR Alabama all these years during their championship runs?

I doubt it.

That whole 'play for' thing came about after the fact, the brotherhood and such during our dominating run, but it wasn't the cause of it, just an after effect.

If there are guys that don't love football who are on the team, then they need to go.. that one is pretty black and white. If you're just half assing it, then you don't love the game and don't really care.
I disagree with the first half but agree with the second half of what you said. Like I've said several times, Nebraska is unique in that matter because that's what we preach here. When we've been successful, those concepts and "morals" if you will have been established and running strong. When they aren't, we've been ass. Nebraska is a unique place where those principles have to be strong. You don't have to agree with me but the data suggests otherwise.

I just read the transcript from that meeting. It didn't look to me like he encouraged anyone to leave. He did acknowledge that it would happen, as he referenced his time as a Buckeye when Earl Bruce was canned....and he did say he'd help out anyone with anything they needed. Nothing wrong with that.

Bo was a turd.

Poaching kids should have been breach if contract and nullified any future payments at the time. If that wording wasn't in the contract it sure as heck should have been

Coach K was the worst. He was. Young cocky and a prick. He ran a lot of good kids out of Iowa. Adrian Claiborne almost was going to kick his but. He was a cancer to both teams.

Poaching kids should have been breach if contract and nullified any future payments at the time. If that wording wasn't in the contract it sure as heck should have been
I'd find it hard to believe that the school didn't know he was doing such a thing, but a bunch of people on an internet chat board, with no direct ties to the team, do.

ADVERTISEMENT