ADVERTISEMENT

Cleveland Guardians

I heard the 5 options they had to pick from this morning on the Dan Patrick show and they picked the absolute worst one.

The 5 options were
1 The Cleveland Baseball Club
2 Cleveland Rockers
3 Cleveland Spiders
4 Cleveland Municipals
5 Cleveland Guardians

1 or 3 would have been my choice.

Cleveland Careys

Some kids must have voted after watching guardians of the galaxy

Chief is a 15th century English word. Just take away the arrowhead and put some British wanker on it.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Since when is Indians offensive? are the Chiefs next?
I don't believe the term "Indians" is what necessarily drew the ire of Native Americans (I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me); I believe the main were objections to the caricature that was used for a long time by the ballclub (the red-faced cartoonish character), along with the use of the drum by some fans - which some Native Americans felt was demeaning to what is normally a religious ceremony for them. You may or may not agree with the feelings of Native Americans on this matter, but that is my understanding of the background.

Hopefully the Guardians won't lose any fans over this. I suspect that most of their fans follow the team because they like baseball and have some connection to the city of Cleveland, not because of the team nickname.

I don't believe the term "Indians" is what necessarily drew the ire of Native Americans (I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me); I believe the main were objections to the caricature that was used for a long time by the ballclub (the red-faced cartoonish character), along with the use of the drum by some fans - which some Native Americans felt was demeaning to what is normally a religious ceremony for them. You may or may not agree with the feelings of Native Americans on this matter, but that is my understanding of the background.

Hopefully the Guardians won't lose any fans over this. I suspect that most of their fans follow the team because they like baseball and have some connection to the city of Cleveland, not because of the team nickname.
And frankly, it's kind of stupid that we use the term "Indian" because this is not the Indies like Columbus initially thought. You don't visit Spain and refer to the locals as Polish. Is that enough to change a baseball team name? Maybe not, but it's done and Spiders would have been a better choice just for originality (Rockers would have been changed quickly because John Rocker was a racist 🙊).

I heard the 5 options they had to pick from this morning on the Dan Patrick show and they picked the absolute worst one.

The 5 options were
1 The Cleveland Baseball Club
2 Cleveland Rockers
3 Cleveland Spiders
4 Cleveland Municipals
5 Cleveland Guardians

1 or 3 would have been my choice.

Was the Cleveland Burning Rivers taken?

Guardians.. 🤔I’m interested in seeing what kind of mascot their going to make out of this..

This is why pro sports are dead to me... more worried about what the $%^&* lunatics' think than what is best for the sport. Tell these flaming idiots to %$#@ off. They don't represent what Americans stand for.

They should call themselves "Bentovers"...

And frankly, it's kind of stupid that we use the term "Indian" because this is not the Indies like Columbus initially thought. You don't visit Spain and refer to the locals as Polish. Is that enough to change a baseball team name? Maybe not, but it's done and Spiders would have been a better choice just for originality (Rockers would have been changed quickly because John Rocker was a racist 🙊).

It's even more stupid that we use the term "Caucasian" to classify all white people of European descent. Neither me nor my ancestors ever lived anywhere near the Caucasus mountains, and the same is true for almost all other white people.

However, I would not care in the slightest if there were was a baseball team with the nickname "Caucasians" that had a mascot of a goofy-looking white guy.

It's even more stupid that we use the term "Caucasian" to classify all white people of European descent. Neither me nor my ancestors ever lived anywhere near the Caucasus mountains, and the same is true for almost all other white people.

However, I would not care in the slightest if there were was a baseball team with the nickname "Caucasians" that had a mascot of a goofy-looking white guy.
giphy.gif

Well I have good news, the term "Caucasian" is falling out of favor for that reason and because it is apparently considered to have white supremacist origins (shoulda seen that one coming). I also don't foresee teams calling their team the Honkies and using a toothless, cousin-f***ing NASCAR fan as a mascot for some reason. If that's what WFT chooses, all merch would be perpetually sold out. But they'll probably go with a boring animal mascot.

The "Woke" crowd will never be happy, they will continue to want more. A mascot change may be needed, but the name change makes no sense to me.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Notre Dame fighting Irish. Stereotypes the Irish as drunken brawlers.
Sadly, the US did not steal the Irish land and essentially eradicate them from the earth. Still time though. Have you seen Connor MacGregor? Bono? The Irish totally asking for it. You been downtown in Omaha on St Pats Day? What kind of mongrel country produces red heads and potatoes? One that deserves a heaping dose of manifest destiny.

Sadly, the US did not steal the Irish land and essentially eradicate them from the earth. Still time though. Have you seen Connor MacGregor? Bono? The Irish totally asking for it. You been downtown in Omaha on St Pats Day? What kind of mongrel country produces red heads and potatoes? One that deserves a heaping dose of manifest destiny.

Someone failed history class. Stick to your day job newbie.

So by banning all the references to native Americans, indians, redskins, etc. Aren't they effectively erasing them from culture?

When was the last time you thought about indians other than a sports team - and even then it wasn't about heritage or culture. That never comes up. Was it when the leftist woke shamers brow beat you over your privilege during Columbus day? Or when Senator Warren fraudulently claimed to be native?

Seems like this wokeness is doing more to erase than protect.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT