ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson v Nebraska Orange Bowl (1981 season)

Redmich

Senior
Jun 21, 2022
please help me

if we beat an undefeated Clemson in the 1982 (1981 season) Orange Bowl are we national champions?
Texas finished 10-1-1 .. we would have been 10-2 (but we entered the bowls ranked ahead of Texas)

we lost to Iowa and Penn St earlier (started the season 1-2)

our first 4 games of 1981 were -- Iowa, Florida St, Penn State, Auburn 🙀

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
Penn state entered their bowl game with 2 losses but won and would have finished 10-2 as well, having beat us earlier in the year IN LINCOLN

we entered the bowl ranked #4 and PSU #7

It was 1981. But to your point, I still believe Nebraska probably would have won the title. Based on beating Clemson as well as winning 9 straight to end the season. If I recall they were talking about it during the game that the winner would be national champions.
I have always thought that was the NC game but forgot we already had 2 losses entering the bowl game

It was 1981. But to your point, I still believe Nebraska probably would have won the title. Based on beating Clemson as well as winning 9 straight to end the season. If I recall they were talking about it during the game that the winner would be national champions.
True. And Clemson got put on probation afterward I believe, those cheating f 'ers. Shoulda gave us the NC.

Reactions: FissionReaction
Yes, it was billed as the game for the NC. Damn ref kept calling Rimmington for holding Fridge. Would have won with Turner but he was hurt and Mauer QB’d that game IIRC. Remember driving out after the game and seeing jail bars over all the churches and businesses and praying to hit all green lights.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Some guys older than me can probably add more. I was 2 but know the story.

We started the season off 1-2 and were losing to Auburn at Half. TO said enough is enough and put Turner Gill in. Won the game and took care of everyone after that.

The reason we moved up vs Penn State was because we lost early. That use to be a big thing in the Polls. Also we looked much better with Turner. Likely undefeated going in to Clemson if Gill is starter day one

From 1982: The National Collegiate Athletic Association, citing a ''large number'' of serious recruiting violations, today placed Clemson University's football program on probation with severe sanctions. It imposed a two-year ban on television and postseason appearances on the school, and stripped the program of 20 scholarships.

Yes, it was billed as the game for the NC. Damn ref kept calling Rimmington for holding Fridge. Would have won with Turner but he was hurt and Mauer QB’d that game IIRC. Remember driving out after the game and seeing jail bars over all the churches and businesses and praying to hit all green lights.
Where were you? At the game?

I was only 11 at the time but seemed like everyone above us lost so a win would've given us the NC. I was pissed. Not as bad as '84 Orange Bowl though. Lol

Reactions: libbity bibbity
please help me

if we beat an undefeated Clemson in the 1982 (1981 season) Orange Bowl are we national champions?
Texas finished 10-1-1 .. we would have been 10-2 (but we entered the bowls ranked ahead of Texas)

no! 2 losses says no

The irony about that 81 team is TO has two really good QBs on the roster but started the season with Mark Mauer. He had Turner Gill and Bruce Mathison and goes with Mauer. See he didn’t always make the right choices. LOL

Mathison is basically a never was at NU but dude played 5 or 6 years in the NFL. He probably played more snaps in the NFL then he did in College. Bruce was Matt Cassel before Matt Cassel

no! 2 losses says no
8-0 with Turner Gill @ QB. And yes Turner Gill over Mauer changes the equation. Everyone should know this or at least understand after the learn it

It’s like comparing Mike Grant lead Nebraska team to Tommie Frazier lead Nebraska team

Where were you? At the game?
A group of Frat brothers and I went to the game and several Florida sites over Christmas break. Great time but damn glad I didn’t have to live there and have to raise a family there, especially a daughter. New Years Eve in the Beach bars was very eye opening to some green behind ears Nebraska boys.

Reactions: 8990
please help me

Yes

I was a kid at the time and remember it well. It was my first year following Husker Football.

It wasn't really known until game time that this could be a title chance for NU. What transpired earlier in the day made it a possibility: Texas beat #3 Alabama and Pitt beat #2 Georgia. Even though NU had 2 losses, a win vs an undefeated and #1 Clemson team would have likely meant they get voted #1.

If Turner Gill would have been healthy, NU wins that game. Mauer played well against OU but just wasn't a playmaker.

8-0 with Turner Gill @ QB. And yes Turner Gill over Mauer changes the equation. Everyone should know this or at least understand after the learn it

It’s like comparing Mike Grant lead Nebraska team to Tommie Frazier lead Nebraska team
7-0 with Turner playing, but only 6-0 with him starting. It was my second year at UNL, and I attended every game, home and away.

Mauer and Nate Mason split the starts over the first four games. The Auburn game was the one where Gill played the second half. Gill's first start was a 59-0 shellacking of Colorado in Lincoln. He started five more games, but was injured against Iowa State, and gave way to Mauer, who then also started and played well in a 37-14 victory at Oklahoma, and who started the Orange Bowl versus Clemson.

On New Year's Day 1982, #6 Texas beat #3 Alabama in the Cotton Bowl, and #10 Pitt beat #2 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. That set up #4 Nebraska and #1 Clemson to play for the national title. Anything could have happened with the vote after, sure, but the assumption at the time set up the Huskers for a national title. We lost 22-15.

Went to that game with 4 other college friends jammed into some smaller 4 door sedan. What I still recall….
—must have eaten at 6 different Waffle Houses between St Louis and Daytona Beach.
—Got pulled over somewhere in Georgia I think and we were told we were in “a heap of trouble “, as there were 10x as many Clemson fans passing thru compared to Nebraska fans.
—4 of us slept on the floor of one of the guys grannies double wide. Good times.
—At the game sat/stood in front of 2 super hot Clemson honeys. They were there with their dads.
—We’re threatened by Miami’s finest to be thrown in jail if we unrolled our Husker flag one more time all the while Clemson flags were everywhere.
—On the way home got detoured by a massive snowstorm that I believe closed part of I70 so we headed west on some roller coaster highway thru Mark Twain National Forest in southern Missouri.

7-0 with Turner playing, but only 6-0 with him starting. It was my second year at UNL, and I attended every game, home and away.

Mauer and Nate Mason split the starts over the first four games. The Auburn game was the one where Gill played the second half. Gill's first start was a 59-0 shellacking of Colorado in Lincoln. He started five more games, but was injured against Iowa State, and gave way to Mauer, who then also started and played well in a 37-14 victory at Oklahoma, and who started the Orange Bowl versus Clemson.

On New Year's Day 1982, #6 Texas beat #3 Alabama in the Cotton Bowl, and #10 Pitt beat #2 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. That set up #4 Nebraska and #1 Clemson to play for the national title. Anything could have happened with the vote after, sure, but the assumption at the time set up the Huskers for a national title. We lost 22-15.
Yep

As stated a few times above , Gill was out. If we would have won we most likely get a title. I remember the officials seemed to favor Clemson.
They were calling rimington for false start because they said he was moving forward before snapping the ball . Try that sometime. It's impossible. He was just that quick

It was New Years days like this that made college football so much fun. 3 games to decide the national championship. Drama all day long and exciting games with upsets. Unfortunately those days are long gone. Honestly wish we could turn back time.

It was New Years days like this that made college football so much fun. 3 games to decide the national championship. Drama all day long and exciting games with upsets. Unfortunately those days are long gone. Honestly wish we could turn back time.
Actually, the 12-team playoff sets up a similar New Year's Day if they do it right. The current plan is this:
  1. Four first-round games (Seed 12 at 5, 11 at 6, 10 at 7 and 9 at 8) the Friday and Saturday before Christmas (Dec. 20-21, 2024).
  2. Four quarterfinal games in four of six bowl major games on New Year's Day (Jan. 1, 2025)
  3. Semifinals at the other two major bowl games the second Monday after New Year's Day.(Jan. 13, 2025)
  4. Title game at another pre-determined site the Monday after the semifinals (Jan. 20, 2025)
That means four high-stakes games on NYD. It's not like the 1960s-1990s, but it's better than what we've seen the last 20 years on NYD.

My. only question: Which SEC team is going to have to play in Lincoln on Dec. 21, 2024? Of course, that assumes we won't be a 1-4 seed. ;)

IIRC, Mathison was a few games short of qualifying for his pension and likely out of football when the players went on strike in 1987. Mathison signed on as a replacement player, thus getting the games on active roster he needed to get his NFL pension.

They were calling rimington for false start because they said he was moving forward before snapping the ball . Try that sometime. It's impossible. He was just that quick
in side note, Danny Ford put a bug in the officials ears before the game about that and Remington holding. Not only was turner out so was Nate mason and Mauer had a torn rotator cuff he couldn’t throw much further that 10 yards

Reactions: Laner2
please help me

Tough non conference schedule.

in side note, Danny Ford put a bug in the officials ears before the game about that and Remington holding. Not only was turner out so was Nate mason and Mauer had a torn rotator cuff he couldn’t throw much further that 10 yards
We we're definitely limited. They had a QB Jordan (?) that was pretty good from what I remember.

Reactions: Gonzo3705
Some guys older than me can probably add more. I was 2 but know the story.

We started the season off 1-2 and were losing to Auburn at Half. TO said enough is enough and put Turner Gill in. Won the game and took care of everyone after that.

The reason we moved up vs Penn State was because we lost early. That use to be a big thing in the Polls. Also we looked much better with Turner. Likely undefeated going in to Clemson if Gill is starter day one
That Auburn team had a freshmen phenom named Bo Jackson, I remember it well, trailing 7-0 at half, we went on to win 41-7, sorry that was 1982.

Similar thing happened in 1965.. #4 Alabama had one loss and a tie, #1 Michigan St lost to #5 UCLA in the Rose bowl and #2 Arkansas lost to LSU in the Cotton Bowl which set up #3 unbeaten Nebraska against Alabama in the Orange Bowl. Tide won 39-28 and ended up with the national title..

Reactions: 9and4
We had a total of 63 passing yards in that game -

Rozier had 25 of the 63 yards passing on a TD pass

• Wow
Reactions: king_kong_
The irony about that 81 team is TO has two really good QBs on the roster but started the season with Mark Mauer. He had Turner Gill and Bruce Mathison and goes with Mauer. See he didn’t always make the right choices. LOL

Mathison is basically a never was at NU but dude played 5 or 6 years in the NFL. He probably played more snaps in the NFL then he did in College. Bruce was Matt Cassel before Matt Cassel
Love your last line....

The one game I recall Mathison coming in and playing significant time was '82 Mizzou. TG went down afte rthe cheap shot and Bruce kept things on track in what was a close game. Rozier was also dinged up but played through it.

The one game I recall Mathison coming in and playing significant time was '82 Mizzou. TG went down afte rthe cheap shot and Bruce kept things on track in what was a close game. Rozier was also dinged up but played through it.
Believe Rozier had a hip pointer and wasn’t expected to play and came off the bench and gained over 100 yards..

Reactions: Gonzo3705

no kidding!!! but he did not play! i think pitt with 1 loss gets the vote~ maybe? Back then, any 2 loss is NOT getting voted #1

Last edited:
Went to that game with 4 other college friends jammed into some smaller 4 door sedan. What I still recall….
—must have eaten at 6 different Waffle Houses between St Louis and Daytona Beach.
—Got pulled over somewhere in Georgia I think and we were told we were in “a heap of trouble “, as there were 10x as many Clemson fans passing thru compared to Nebraska fans.
—4 of us slept on the floor of one of the guys grannies double wide. Good times.
—At the game sat/stood in front of 2 super hot Clemson honeys. They were there with their dads.
—We’re threatened by Miami’s finest to be thrown in jail if we unrolled our Husker flag one more time all the while Clemson flags were everywhere.
—On the way home got detoured by a massive snowstorm that I believe closed part of I70 so we headed west on some roller coaster highway thru Mark Twain National Forest in southern Missouri.
Sounds like a great time, serious.

Reactions: Laner2
agreed, the short answer is yes, that winner would have been NC either way was popular thinking as I recall, not likely PSU jumps us points wise as other teams, namely Clemson wouldn't be voted below PSU and such back then, like todays voting changes on a dime so dramatically........

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT