ADVERTISEMENT

Claimed National Titles

I need a transcript, ain't no io_egian that has a 3-minute attention span able to listen to that.

Gave it a listen... I’ve always said the same thing..

Only team that Nebraska could realistically claim would be in 1915 when they beat Notre Dame and schools who were rewarded were Cornell,Pittsburgh, Minnesota and Oklahoma..

Two years I really have a problem with Alabama are 1964 and 1978..

Arkansas beat Nebraska( Cotton) and Texas who beat Bama in the Orange and went on to be the only unbeaten team in the country that year..o_O

In 1978 USC whipped Bama 24-14 in the regular season and Bama was still given the AP title by beating at the time #1 Penn State..:rolleyes:

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Turner Gill Should have thrown the ball more to the outside and we wouldn’t be having this discussion..
Or if the players would have taken the game more seriously, in a interview with the players like 20 after the game most admitted they thought all they had to do was show up and the trophy was there’s

Gave it a listen... I’ve always said the same thing..

Only team that Nebraska could realistically claim would be in 1915 when they beat Notre Dame and schools who were rewarded were Cornell,Pittsburgh, Minnesota and Oklahoma..

Two years I really have a problem with Alabama are 1964 and 1978..

Arkansas beat Nebraska( Cotton) and Texas who beat Bama in the Orange and went on to be the only unbeaten team in the country that year..o_O

In 1978 USC whipped Bama 24-14 in the regular season and Bama was still given the AP title by beating at the time #1 Penn State..:rolleyes:

How about 1973 Alabama?
Was undefeated & #1 playing undefeated and #2 ND in the Sugar Bowl. ND won the game, but Alabama still went on to claim they were also National Champions. LOL
SI did a really good article a while ago about teams claiming titles. They called out Bama and Michigan for claiming the most titles they didn’t get.
The opposite was ND. They will only recognize consensus titles from a major source. The NCAA recognizes 13, but ND only recognizes 11 because two were not consensus. If ND recognized all titles by any source (like Bama and Michigan), they could claim 22.

How about 1973 Alabama?
Was undefeated & #1 playing undefeated and #2 ND in the Sugar Bowl. ND won the game, but Alabama still went on to claim they were also National Champions. LOL
SI did a really good article a while ago about teams claiming titles. They called out Bama and Michigan for claiming the most titles they didn’t get.
The opposite was ND. They will only recognize consensus titles from a major source. The NCAA recognizes 13, but ND only recognizes 11 because two were not consensus. If ND recognized all titles by any source (like Bama and Michigan), they could claim 22.

Yes I did miss the 1973 season after USC won it in 1972.Alabama had no business having a share of the title especially losing to Notre Dame in the Bowl game...

But Notre Dame won in 1966 with out playing and winning a bowl game and Bama went unbeaten and whipping Nebraska in the Sugar and Michigan St was also left with a empty hands after a tie with ND which the Irish sat on the ball to run out the clock with out trying to win the game.:rolleyes:

osborn should have kicked the extra point,instead of going for two, miami was out of gas.
Agree with the kick but with no overtime Miami could have been dead and it wouldn’t have mattered. The tie would have given us at least a share if not all the Natty. That is worth a lot of $$$$$$ and notoriety.

Ryen Russillo had a pretty funny rant on his podcast today skewering programs for claiming national titles when there were 6+ publications naming different winners.

NU came out clean, since we only celebrate titles that we, you know, actually earned.

worth a listen.
https://www.theringer.com/2020/7/16...e-mcginest-on-belichick-cam-and-be-the-change

I joked about this a few times on Twitter, when you got teams like Michigan, Tennessee, Minnesota, Iowa and UCF claiming national titles. I say we should do it too Then we’d have what, 14 National titles if we did like this guys done? Somewhere in that area....

Claimed nat'l titles 5 (1970, 1971, 1994, 1995, 1997)
Unclaimed nat'l titles 9
Conference titles 46
Division titles 10

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football

Last edited:
Yes I did miss the 1973 season after USC won it in 1972.Alabama had no business having a share of the title especially losing to Notre Dame in the Bowl game...

But Notre Dame won in 1966 with out playing and winning a bowl game and Bama went unbeaten and whipping Nebraska in the Sugar and Michigan St was also left with a empty hands after a tie with ND which the Irish sat on the ball to run out the clock with out trying to win the game.:rolleyes:
That’s what I don’t care for Norte dame they screwed Michigan st

Reactions: scarletred
How about Oklahoma in the 50’s and and either 74 or 75 they got put on probation, you can cheat but they got caught just like Clemson in 1981 those shouldn’t count imo

Yea I see OU losing to Kennedy as a problem in 1950..In 1974 NO one was better than OU despite being on probation.. In 1975 Arizona St went unbeaten and beat Nebraska in their home stadium in a bowl game by a FG, but the Sooners beat Nebraska in Norman by 25 points..

Yea I see OU losing to Kennedy as a problem in 1950..In 1974 NO one was better than OU despite being on probation.. In 1975 Arizona St went unbeaten and beat Nebraska in their home stadium in a bowl game by a FG, but the Sooners beat Nebraska in Norman by 25 points..
Be that as it may, 1975 Oklahoma lost to an unranked Kansas team in November, 23-3.

The 1975 ASU football wikipedia page doesn't have their opponent rankings, so I can't gauge their quality of competition other than the common opponent you mentioned: Nebraska.

Reactions: Baxter48
Be that as it may, 1975 Oklahoma lost to an unranked Kansas team in November, 23-3.

The 1975 ASU football wikipedia page doesn't have their opponent rankings, so I can't gauge their quality of competition other than the common opponent you mentioned: Nebraska.

Arizona State played in the WAC back in those days but did beat PAC 8 Washington who ended up 6-5 and TCU who played in the SWC but had a 1-10 record.So the only ranked team they beat besides Nebraska was #18 Arizona in the WAC..;)

#3 OU beat #5 Michigan in the Orange Bowl and was the first time another Big 10 could play in a bowl game besides the Rose Bowl..:)

#11 UCLA upset #1 Ohio St in the Rose Bowl.

Reactions: saluno22
Remember when aTm did this?

17ye3famk8pabjpg.jpg

Texas a&m picks up 2 national championships and 2 conf championships over the summer

i think it was the 1966 orange bowl vs. alabama, we went into the game favored and out weighing the defense by about 30 lbs. but the snake stabler had his way with our slow white db's.a year later steve sloan i think filling in for joe namath did it again.bear bryant had devaneys number,he was out coached both times.

ADVERTISEMENT