ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Wilcher

dacred

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 11, 2002
Can't find why he didn't play vs IL? Is he available for the post season

I am not convinced he is a gigantic help. Yea he is OK but he is not a great shooter. I have not watched every game.

Why would you type something like this and add that you have not watched every game? Just look at the stats. He was flirting with a 50/40/90 season off the bench before he hit a cold stretch that every player will eventually have during a season. He is an excellent shooter and helped us win several games this season.

He has reverted to "bad CJ" for quite a spell now. Not just cold, but more of the head-scratching plays as well. I have a hunch we will need a big one from him or JLaw. Hope he's got one more in him!

He has reverted to "bad CJ" for quite a spell now. Not just cold, but more of the head-scratching plays as well. I have a hunch we will need a big one from him or JLaw. Hope he's got one more in him!

If this team can win more than 1 game in the tourney it will be because Wilcher went off for 20+ in a game or two. I don’t see a scenario where this team goes on a run without Wilcher going off at least one game. jMO

If this team can win more than 1 game in the tourney it will be because Wilcher went off for 20+ in a game or two. I don’t see a scenario where this team goes on a run without Wilcher going off at least one game. jMO

Huskers have plenty of guys that can step up. JLaw started shooting lights out right as CJ hit his cold streak.

Reactions: V-Doub and 90sman
Huskers have plenty of guys that can step up. JLaw started shooting lights out right as CJ hit his cold streak.

Absolutely, Mast can go off, Lawerence can, Williams can and of course Tominaga can. But I think we’ll need Wilcher’s scoring at some point if this team is able to go on a run. Honestly, we’ll need everyone to have their “night” at one point or another if we’re gonna go on a run. JMO

I am not convinced he is a gigantic help. Yea he is OK but he is not a great shooter. I have not watched every game.
It’s a depth issue. Now you have to play another player that maybe wouldn’t play. And when the opposing team is the 12th ranked team on the country that’s an issue.

Reactions: dinglefritz
When Sam Hoiberg was interviewed after we beat Indiana he mentioned that Williams played and he wasn’t feeling well. Must have had a stomach bug or something go through the locker room last week

Which is abundantly clear from your prior sentence…
You can't be a great player and show up half the time. We have another player who does that, and people want to hang his jersey in the rafters. He is a great shooter and a fun kid to watch. Overall he is a decent player. Nothing more. Easily taken out of a game if the opposing coaches want to.

It takes a team and that is why Nebraska is winning. Very happy to see it. Can't wait to see it in person Friday.

Reactions: scarletred
Wilcher is valuable this season. When Tominaga has been off, he came in and hit.

Before this year we expected/needed too much out of him, he’s a spot up shooter who should be limited in ball handling as much as possible.

Depth gives you the ability to use specialized guys like Wilcher. If we had a true PG this season that would have been even more evident

It's not like he plays all the time. It's almost like, and just hear me out.... Fred knows what he's doing. This team does not depend on Wilcher to win games. But if he gets a few minutes of run and looks hot, he absolutely can shoot this team to a big win. But hey, I get that its time for the experts that haven't watched all season to tell us all about this team.

It's not like he plays all the time. It's almost like, and just hear me out.... Fred knows what he's doing. This team does not depend on Wilcher to win games. But if he gets a few minutes of run and looks hot, he absolutely can shoot this team to a big win. But hey, I get that its time for the experts that haven't watched all season to tell us all about this team.
I could be wrong but I believe he plays at random due to back spasms. Not bc he's not a good player (wouldn't say great) he has though come in at crucial moments and is probably a major factor in a few of our important wins.

Reactions: mgbreis
I could be wrong but I believe he plays at random due to back spasms. Not bc he's not a good player (wouldn't say great) he has though come in at crucial moments and is probably a major factor in a few of our important wins.
He's a 6th guy, very valuable, but agree that his minutes vary a lot I'm sure depending on multiple issues.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I am a big fan of Lawrence but I wish he would look to score more. On one hand it's great to have a guy who is content to be the 4th or 5th option on offense. But when things are not clicking for Tominaga, Mast, etc., Lawrence needs to put up points. I thought he was on his way to a 20-point game against Illinois but he didn't even look at the basket in the 2nd half.

Reactions: mgbreis
I am a big fan of Lawrence but I wish he would look to score more. On one hand it's great to have a guy who is content to be the 4th or 5th option on offense. But when things are not clicking for Tominaga, Mast, etc., Lawrence needs to put up points. I thought he was on his way to a 20-point game against Illinois but he didn't even look at the basket in the 2nd half.
Lawrence is going to really surprise some people next year. It just took him awhile to adjust to his new role this year being more of a distributor and it effected his shot and overall game. Besides really Williams he is the one guy that can create his own shot. I too keep wishing we would get a chance to see him really seek his shot more often. He has a great mid range jumper also where he really can elevate. I can see him being a 15 point a game type of guy next year.

Reactions: mgbreis and schuele
I just hope we get ALL of the valuable guys back next season. It will be fun to see who Fred can add. Also really looking forward to seeing Eli Rice on the floor.

Reactions: regionsdoc
Lawrence is going to really surprise some people next year. It just took him awhile to adjust to his new role this year being more of a distributor and it effected his shot and overall game. Besides really Williams he is the one guy that can create his own shot. I too keep wishing we would get a chance to see him really seek his shot more often. He has a great mid range jumper also where he really can elevate. I can see him being a 15 point a game type of guy next year.
Yes, he's also a rocket in the open court - maybe the fastest guy in the whole conference going from end-to-end. Would also like to see that in action more often, because a couple fast breaks like that really make an opponent think twice about sending so many guys to the offensive glass.

Reactions: EVERED
You can't be a great player and show up half the time. We have another player who does that, and people want to hang his jersey in the rafters. He is a great shooter and a fun kid to watch. Overall he is a decent player. Nothing more. Easily taken out of a game if the opposing coaches want to.

It takes a team and that is why Nebraska is winning. Very happy to see it. Can't wait to see it in person Friday.
Keisei may not be a great player, or deserve to have his number retired, but he is far more than decent, especially on offense. Even when he doesn't score, he affects the game. When he does score, especially in the bursts he does, he provides what often amounts to a knockout blow. There's a reason teams invest so heavily in denying him the basketball.

His PER is 23rd in the conference, his BPM is 20th, and win shares is 27th. His offensive win shares - 10th. Those are the numbers of a very good player.

Nobody said he was “a great player” but he is probably the 2nd best shooter on the team and one of a handful of players that can go off for 20+ on the right night. As you said, it’s a team game, and we will need CJ if we’re gonna go on a run.

Reactions: Corncountry
I know Blaise K really has no future with that foot but it feels like it would be great for Ne if he got to get a couple minutes in the dance and throw some elbows around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT