ADVERTISEMENT

Chubba

I just see little upside to Smothers. Weakest arm of the bunch, and fumble prone.

Chubba actually seems more effective as a scrambler than Smothers. Certainly throwing after extending the play.

I'd like to see more of a horizontal quick passing gameplan moving forward. Extension of run game, control clock, run counters and trick plays and PA off of run game and horizontal pass game.

Unless CT gets to running more aggressively and willingly, I think Chubba is the best caudate for the above gameplan.
Where are we getting Smothers is Fumble prone & are we now grading/evaluating who is a better scrambler? You have your take & I have agreed with a lot but definitely not this take. Smothers can flat out run and has plenty arm strength for us to win with. No, not as strong as the others but good enough.
I understand. I'm a little hesitant for Chubba due to the weakness in his arm, but when I tried to find how many fumbles Smothers was responsible for, I couldn't find any. Do you know how many he did lose?
I understand. I'm a little hesitant for Chubba due to the weakness in his arm, but when I tried to find how many fumbles Smothers was responsible for, I couldn't find any. Do you know how many he did lose?
💯 what you just said!

This play in particular was amazing on Purdy's part. Thompson would've been sacked - AGAIN. And I'm not so confident Smothers makes this play. Worth considering, as I'm sure coaches are this bye week.

Smothers & Heinrich makes that play lol
Scramble right and throw it 15 yards while running to your right. Sometimes we make some plays out to be bigger than what they are. No mistake, Chubs did a great job keeping the play alive and making the throw on the run…..

Where are we getting Smothers is Fumble prone & are we now grading/evaluating who is a better scrambler? You have your take & I have agreed with a lot but definitely not this take. Smothers can flat out run and has plenty arm strength for us to win with. No, not as strong as the others but good enough.

💯 what you just said!
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But I've seen enough of the few plays we've seen with Smothers in to know he's risky business with the ball while running. He's a decent backup, but not starter material for what we need. In my opinion.

Also, the play in question where you say Smother and Heinrich make the play...it's possible. But there were two receivers in play on that particular play. Where the other two would've likely taken the easy check down that was available (maybe not Heinrich) Chubba was aggressive and made the throw to the deeper route that actually earned more yards. And how fast he avoided the instant pressure...I've seen Smothers in those types of situations already, and he does NOT automatically avoid that rush.

Seriously...for all the Smothers fans who've hyped up how fast he is, he really seems no faster than any other QB we have had running the ball in the past years or this year. Maybe faster runner in general than CT, I'll give him that I suppose.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
205lbs. How big is Chubs, CT, Frazier, Crouch?
Slim “sample size” of his play. Not his stature. He hasn’t played in that many games (Iowa, Georgia southern (1play)) and he turned the ball over on RPOs in both. Which is what drove fans crazy about Adrian

Reactions: BleedRed78
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But I've seen enough of the few plays we've seen with Smothers in to know he's risky business with the ball while running. He's a decent backup, but not starter material for what we need. In my opinion.

Also, the play in question where you say Smother and Heinrich make the play...it's possible. But there were two receivers in play on that particular play. Where the other two would've likely taken the easy check down that was available (maybe not Heinrich) Chubba was aggressive and made the throw to the deeper route that actually earned more yards. And how fast he avoided the instant pressure...I've seen Smothers in those types of situations already, and he does NOT automatically avoid that rush.

Seriously...for all the Smothers fans who've hyped up how fast he is, he really seems no faster than any other QB we have had running the ball in the past years or this year. Maybe faster runner in general than CT, I'll give him that I suppose.
Enough few plays? He has played 2 plays and you are calling him risky business with the ball. He got several reps last year before the Iowa game and NO one including me was reporting he has a ball security problem.
Why do defenses practice relentless on punching the ball out? Because in a particular moment it can work. Example, runner in the act of already going down from being tackled. Doesn’t put 2 arms on ball before landing. We have all seen it work numerous times. Smothers had this happen but good thing for us he didn’t fumble. Remember, replay reviewed it. Yes, ball did get punched out but we didn’t lose possession & it was a heck of a read on their DT and followed up with a good, tough run. Had he put both arms on ball as going to the ground everyone would have talked about the good run.
Definitely a learning moment for all to see on film, definitely for Smothers.
Hyped? Reported times is the only reliable source we have.
We must be watching a different play to be judging which receiver a QB might throw it to. The rush that was avoiding instantly was a “A” gap pressure that was almost on the QB by the end of his drop. All our other QBs avoid it “IF” their eyes are looking where Chubs is looking. I don’t really care who would or wouldn’t avoid a rush. Chubs can play and Smothers can play. Period….

Enough few plays? He has played 2 plays and you are calling him risky business with the ball. He got several reps last year before the Iowa game and NO one including me was reporting he has a ball security problem.
Why do defenses practice relentless on punching the ball out? Because in a particular moment it can work. Example, runner in the act of already going down from being tackled. Doesn’t put 2 arms on ball before landing. We have all seen it work numerous times. Smothers had this happen but good thing for us he didn’t fumble. Remember, replay reviewed it. Yes, ball did get punched out but we didn’t lose possession & it was a heck of a read on their DT and followed up with a good, tough run. Had he put both arms on ball as going to the ground everyone would have talked about the good run.
We must be watching a different play to be judging which receiver a QB might throw it to. The rush that was avoiding instantly was a “A” gap pressure that was almost on the QB by the end of his drop. All our other QBs avoid it “IF” their eyes are looking where Chubs is looking. I don’t really care who would or wouldn’t avoid a rush. Chubs can play and Smothers can play. Period….

The coaches did their job and gave Smothers a shot in a tight game. Its Smothers fault he's put the ball on the ground 50% of the time he's touched the ball.

Every coach Smother was going to have this year is having their financial future determined in some cases on the turn of a few plays. If you want to play, don't f up when coach calls your number.

Reactions: BleedRed78
The coaches did their job and gave Smothers a shot in a tight game. Its Smothers fault he's put the ball on the ground 50% of the time he's touched the ball.

Every coach Smother was going to have this year is having their financial future determined in some cases on the turn of a few plays. If you want to play, don't f up when coach calls your number.
Some of the ball security issues could be that the QBs don’t get hit in practice.

I agree they can both play. I just think Chubba can play better then Smothers based on perceived ceiling.

Reactions: Bruce1981

How did Smothers F up? vs Ga Southern He went in, got us a great 1st down on his read option play. CT came in and WE went down and scored on the drive.
vs NW he went in, had a 8 yard run plus the facemask added another 15.

Reactions: leodisflowers
ADVERTISEMENT