ADVERTISEMENT

Chubba

Casey shows a great ability to push the ball downfield. Chubba clearly has a shot to be the starting QB down the road. I think you have to give Casey the nod unless things go real sideways.
I’d like to see them play Ryker Fife’s cousin at QB

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
mr-whipple.png

Whipple went from Hero to Zero real fast on this board.
That's just dumb. I think he's a really good coach. BUT... Frost got fired so I don't see the controversy in assuming there is a tiny, tiny chance that's he's back next season. That's how it works, no?

Reactions: king_kong_
Some of the inability to find and hit receivers at times IMO is that he has to try to throw over 6'9" guys and there's no passing lane. Our OTs are getting collapsed and can't keep a throwing lane for him. The best thing I saw Whip do was to call some rollouts. Thompson was a sitting duck in the pocket
CT had the same 2 issues at UT.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I wonder if KU's current quarterback would transfer to Nebraska if Leipold is hired here. I think he's a junior this year.
He sure could, and we'd pay him a bunch of money too. Lincoln Riley brought this guy over from Oklahoma to USC. The kid is lighting it up

Some of the inability to find and hit receivers at times IMO is that he has to try to throw over 6'9" guys and there's no passing lane. Our OTs are getting collapsed and can't keep a throwing lane for him. The best thing I saw Whip do was to call some rollouts. Thompson was a sitting duck in the pocket
He had the same 2 issues last year at Texas.

CT is not the leader I think others make him out to be. He is however a quick decision maker and throws a pretty good ball. I do like other guys on the QB roster, but they have weaknesses too.

Here is the main question I would ask...

Who is going to be my QB next year? That is who I am playing from here on out.

This is the same really for most all positions.

My reasoning? Guys in the starting spots are going to be less likely to transfer out.

So everyone you want to keep that is an underclassmen, I would consider making them starters, just so that they don't leave.

Just spitballin' here... how about Leipold just brings the whole damn team? I bet no one ever thought of that. You're welcome.
There was a play where this 300 pound defensive end ran down field like a madman, weaving through traffic to pursue the Houston I back. He dove at the goal line and nearly caught the kid. I haven't seen that level of desire and determination in years. I gave the kid a standing ovation. Damn I miss Husker football of old

Just spitballin' here... how about Leipold just brings the whole damn team? I bet no one ever thought of that. You're welcome.
I've suggested that a college team bring in some NFL players. Like if MN gets off to a hot start and might contend...suit up some Vikings backups.

Who's going to stop us, the police?? Anything goes now.

• Wow
Reactions: mgbreis
CT is not the leader I think others make him out to be. He is however a quick decision maker and throws a pretty good ball. I do like other guys on the QB roster, but they have weaknesses too.

Here is the main question I would ask...

Who is going to be my QB next year? That is who I am playing from here on out.

This is the same really for most all positions.

My reasoning? Guys in the starting spots are going to be less likely to transfer out.

So everyone you want to keep that is an underclassmen, I would consider making them starters, just so that they don't leave.
I don't hate it. I'd just keep in my upperclassmen in where they are truly better than others (Grant). Makes this whole question trickier, but like you said, who's the guy NEXT year. Might be worth looking at building him up now.

If Casey individually does something to undermine coaches or team.
I don't think he'd do that. But I could see him getting tired of getting hit over and over and begin playing minimal effort/avoid the hit.

Again, wouldn't blame him. Purdy might embrace it though if he were to think it was his job to win for next season when the rebuild begins.

All of the things i see stem from the ineffectiveness of our offensive line. If the line was average, we wouldn't be discussing Chubba as a potential replacement due to the inaccuracies. Now for CT missing throws, it's no longer excusable to be inaccurate because of injury. Those are throws that should be made easily, and CT does not make it look easy.

I don't trust Chubba's arm strength, but we're not going all the way on every single down, so I'm not super heavy on that, but this line will eat Chubba alive if CT goes down. Which leads me to Smothers. He can get the job done. Nothing outstanding about him, may be a little lean, but that's all i can think of right now.

All of the things i see stem from the ineffectiveness of our offensive line. If the line was average, we wouldn't be discussing Chubba as a potential replacement due to the inaccuracies. Now for CT missing throws, it's no longer excusable to be inaccurate because of injury. Those are throws that should be made easily, and CT does not make it look easy.

I don't trust Chubba's arm strength, but we're not going all the way on every single down, so I'm not super heavy on that, but this line will eat Chubba alive if CT goes down. Which leads me to Smothers. He can get the job done. Nothing outstanding about him, may be a little lean, but that's all i can think of right now.
I just see little upside to Smothers. Weakest arm of the bunch, and fumble prone.

Chubba actually seems more effective as a scrambler than Smothers. Certainly throwing after extending the play.

I'd like to see more of a horizontal quick passing gameplan moving forward. Extension of run game, control clock, run counters and trick plays and PA off of run game and horizontal pass game.

Unless CT gets to running more aggressively and willingly, I think Chubba is the best caudate for the above gameplan.

I just see little upside to Smothers. Weakest arm of the bunch, and fumble prone.

Chubba actually seems more effective as a scrambler than Smothers. Certainly throwing after extending the play.

I'd like to see more of a horizontal quick passing gameplan moving forward. Extension of run game, control clock, run counters and trick plays and PA off of run game and horizontal pass game.

Unless CT gets to running more aggressively and willingly, I think Chubba is the best caudate for the above gameplan.
I understand. I'm a little hesitant for Chubba due to the weakness in his arm, but when I tried to find how many fumbles Smothers was responsible for, I couldn't find any. Do you know how many he did lose?

I understand. I'm a little hesitant for Chubba due to the weakness in his arm, but when I tried to find how many fumbles Smothers was responsible for, I couldn't find any. Do you know how many he did lose?
I guess if he hasn't lost any, he's certainly risked several by now. Seems to struggle when going down with contact (ball protection). I'm just not sure we've seen enough of Purdy yet to determine how good or bad his ball security is. I'd like to see more of him though.

This play in particular was amazing on Purdy's part. Thompson would've been sacked - AGAIN. And I'm not so confident Smothers makes this play. Worth considering, as I'm sure coaches are this bye week.

This play in particular was amazing on Purdy's part. Thompson would've been sacked - AGAIN. And I'm not so confident Smothers makes this play. Worth considering, as I'm sure coaches are this bye week.

can somebody please buy benhart a one-way ticket to anywhere he'd like to go?

perhaps the worst football player on the planet

Oh, and rumor has it that Whipple is pretty upset with the turmoil at Nebraska and might leave after this season to help coach Pickett with the Steelers next year when they finally turn him loose. I wonder if Chubba bails when that happens - unless he's given his opportunity?
Chubba doesn't fit Leipolds system so he'll be leaving. Kansas state is my guess

Right. We have nobody better then Benhart? I have never seen or at least remember seeing such poor play out of a OL. Why is even sniffing the field is scary.
Any offensive tackle on the squad that can't beat Benhart out, should be removed from the squad.

Reactions: Walleye79
That's just dumb. I think he's a really good coach. BUT... Frost got fired so I don't see the controversy in assuming there is a tiny, tiny chance that's he's back next season. That's how it works, no?
And 2 year contract, correct?

I agree with what you're saying about his ability to scramble. He's made a couple of defenders look funny last week.

He can certainly operate the short passing game.. I'm not sure if he processes things as fast as CT, but I also think he's a better team leader, in that he might keep the rest of the unit more poised during adversity.

I hope he gets more playing time.

I don’t know how a fair judgment can be made about any quarterback in this offense, with this weak-arse offensive line.

Put Casey or Chubba on OU’s team and they would look a helluva lot better.
Well not Benhart. Who’s going to cover for his pass blocking. He would never start for OU as he currently pass blocks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT