ADVERTISEMENT

Chubba

BleedRed78

Blackshirt
Oct 22, 2019
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, considering how the backup QB is often the most popular player in Nebraska lol.

But I wonder out loud if Chubba doesn't give us the best chance to win? Now, I do believe Thompson to be the better overall qb at this time, make no mistake.

But so long as our OL is more akin to turnstiles, I wonder if Chubba having more ability to scramble could give us the better chance to win overall? Not that winning is coming right now anyway...

Thompson is great with minimal/subdued pressure. Anything more than that though, and he suddenly becomes useless unfortunately, which is a lot with this line. Chubba looked a bit like AM on that TD run, but seems better passing ability (less consistent than we've enjoyed with Thompson of course).

Not calling for it by any means, and I've defended Thompson plenty. But at this point, I wonder. Just like everything else with this team...

Oh, and rumor has it that Whipple is pretty upset with the turmoil at Nebraska and might leave after this season to help coach Pickett with the Steelers next year when they finally turn him loose. I wonder if Chubba bails when that happens - unless he's given his opportunity?

Reactions: leodisflowers
Oh, and rumor has it that Whipple is pretty upset with the turmoil at Nebraska and might leave after this season to help coach Pickett with the Steelers next year when they finally turn him loose. I wonder if Chubba bails when that happens - unless he's given his opportunity?
I mean, I think "might leave" is a pretty strong understatement. It's weird how people assume guys like Whipple or Joseph would still be around next year. I know at times current assistants are retained but it has to be about 99% that the entire staff is gone by the Saturday after Thanksgiving or thereabouts.

If the season plays out as expected (dumpster fire with exploding cans of gasoline), the entire coaching staff is gone. And yea, Whipple will go coach Pickett is the opportunity is there. He may do that even if the season is somehow salvaged.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Why would Whipple be here next year? Less than 1% chance.

My point in bringing this up is purely tactical/strategic. CT is def the better QB with respect to their different stages of growth. Although Chubbas ceiling could potentially be higher, but remains unknown.

CT can run a little, but has shown little ability of blown up the middle. Chubba (granted he played against secund string defense) still had pressure up the middle, but was able to escape it and at least try to make a play (and made some at least).

Kind of "make the best of a bad situation". CT is good, but likely gone after this year (why would he sick around for the rebuild?) while Chubba might leave if/when Whipple leaves. But he might stay if he's given the opportunity this season and can serve more long term with immanent rebuild on the horizon.

My point in bringing this up is purely tactical/strategic. CT is def the better QB with respect to their different stages of growth. Although Chubbas ceiling could potentially be higher, but remains unknown.

CT can run a little, but has shown little ability of blown up the middle. Chubba (granted he played against secund string defense) still had pressure up the middle, but was able to escape it and at least try to make a play (and made some at least).

Kind of "make the best of a bad situation". CT is good, but likely gone after this year (why would he sick around for the rebuild?) while Chubba might leave if/when Whipple leaves. But he might stay if he's given the opportunity this season and can serve more long term with immanent rebuild on the horizon.
Where would Thompson go next year? I don’t think he would get drafted.

Exactly why I said preseason I doubted CT would be an improvement over Martinez behind this OL

• Sad
Reactions: BleedRed78
I was very happy to see QB#2 get so much playing time. What, was CT sacked like 3 times in the 1st Qtr.?!

Yikes. We need to keep whoever is #2 warmed up & ready.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, considering how the backup QB is often the most popular player in Nebraska lol.

But I wonder out loud if Chubba doesn't give us the best chance to win? Now, I do believe Thompson to be the better overall qb at this time, make no mistake.

But so long as our OL is more akin to turnstiles, I wonder if Chubba having more ability to scramble could give us the better chance to win overall? Not that winning is coming right now anyway...

Thompson is great with minimal/subdued pressure. Anything more than that though, and he suddenly becomes useless unfortunately, which is a lot with this line. Chubba looked a bit like AM on that TD run, but seems better passing ability (less consistent than we've enjoyed with Thompson of course).

Not calling for it by any means, and I've defended Thompson plenty. But at this point, I wonder. Just like everything else with this team...
Our quarterback for 2023 is not on the roster currently. No way Leipold can win with any of these guys.

Wisconsin and Iowa do just fine with a pedestrian QB and solid line and great running game. We dont need a superstar back there to just get us to be solid again. You want to take the next step and challenge for the league or playoff? Then you need a stud like OSU usually has. We are YEARS away from being ready for that. We have plenty of QBs on the roster who can win us the West. Hoping we can keep our running backs as well

Reactions: RaulJones
He put up 7 pts against the only real team we've played.
Yep. And still he’s been a marked improvement over our last guy in literally every single quarterback metric

it sucks CT can’t play all 22 positions. We’d be a lot better.

Our quarterback for 2023 is not on the roster currently. No way Leipold can win with any of these guys.
I wonder if KU's current quarterback would transfer to Nebraska if Leipold is hired here. I think he's a junior this year.

Yep. And still he’s been a marked improvement over our last guy in literally every single quarterback metric

it sucks CT can’t play all 22 positions. We’d be a lot better.

He'll likely continue to be ineffective against teams with a rush. Overall, he's been okay, nothing great. Has missed a lot of throws a high level player doesn't miss.

Reactions: king_kong_
I only saw a couple of throws but you all think CT has stringer arm vs Chubba? I thought the opposite.
Yeah I don't think he has a noodle arm whatsoever. Unrefined, sure. But just as much if not more power than CT.

CT is just accurate AF. Doesn't mean much if oline doesn't block well though...

Reactions: HuskerDana
Yeah I don't think he has a noodle arm whatsoever. Unrefined, sure. But just as much if not more power than CT.

CT is just accurate AF. Doesn't mean much if oline doesn't block well though...
CT is unable to hit a receiver over the middle, if the receiver is moving. The ball is guaranteed to be behind the receiver. Same with low throws, he is 0 for his career.

Chubba completed 7 passes for 35 yards, or 5 yards per catch. He did a real good job of avoiding pressure, miles better than CT. But, when Chubba is on the move his lack of arm strength really stands out. Not only are his passes lacking velocity, but his accuracy suffers.

He can be effective if they keep him in areas where his strength is used and his weaknesses are avoided.

Putting those QB's in pass patterns that they are strong at lies at the feet of Whip. If CT is going to throw a crossing pattern in the short middle, its best to do it on 2nd and short, that way, when CT throws behind the runner AGAIN, maybe NU can pick it up on 3rd and short.

Chubba has a better chance with some RPO's or zone reads, rolling out to throw short balls, and tucking it away and taking off running. The more Chubba plays, the closer the cover guys will move to the line of scrimmage and dare him to go medium or long.

I'm trying not to dog either kid, but the coach(s) need to put these kids in a position where their strength is consistent and not ask them to do things that are clear weaknesses.

Just my opinion.

Or slot him to the left side and have him pick up/slow down Benhart's man once he moves past Benhart.
Something. I hate to call out kids, but I haven't seen someone that bad since Dylan Utter where they literally can't even touch dudes. All tackles are going to have their hands full, but it's its literally like these DE's are just playing against air or doing dummy work. Make one move and go to the QB untouched.

T
Why would Whipple be here next year? Less than 1% chance.
he might be but the odds are against it. Maybe if Mickey lands the job he would keep Whipple. I do think Whipple is a really good coach. He's about as steady as they come but he probably needs to take Frost's advice and be a little more creative in the run game. Just running off tackle handoffs to the RB probably aren't going to cut it with how our O line is struggling. I also think we have to have some form of QB run game to pressure the defenses.

CT is unable to hit a receiver over the middle, if the receiver is moving. The ball is guaranteed to be behind the receiver. Same with low throws, he is 0 for his career.

Chubba completed 7 passes for 35 yards, or 5 yards per catch. He did a real good job of avoiding pressure, miles better than CT. But, when Chubba is on the move his lack of arm strength really stands out. Not only are his passes lacking velocity, but his accuracy suffers.

He can be effective if they keep him in areas where his strength is used and his weaknesses are avoided.

Putting those QB's in pass patterns that they are strong at lies at the feet of Whip. If CT is going to throw a crossing pattern in the short middle, its best to do it on 2nd and short, that way, when CT throws behind the runner AGAIN, maybe NU can pick it up on 3rd and short.

Chubba has a better chance with some RPO's or zone reads, rolling out to throw short balls, and tucking it away and taking off running. The more Chubba plays, the closer the cover guys will move to the line of scrimmage and dare him to go medium or long.

I'm trying not to dog either kid, but the coach(s) need to put these kids in a position where their strength is consistent and not ask them to do things that are clear weaknesses.

Just my opinion.
Some of the inability to find and hit receivers at times IMO is that he has to try to throw over 6'9" guys and there's no passing lane. Our OTs are getting collapsed and can't keep a throwing lane for him. The best thing I saw Whip do was to call some rollouts. Thompson was a sitting duck in the pocket

Reactions: RaulJones
ADVERTISEMENT