ADVERTISEMENT

Chubba making a move?

Of course … that doesn’t mean you make comments about position x is player z’s to lose with 3 weeks left of camp

messaging matters - you win rather than not lose starting positions

in close games do Frost teams play to win or “not to lose”?

ffs in the Iowa after the blocked punt - we still had the lead in the 4th quarter, had out played them and were at home and the head coach was quoted as saying he knew the game was lost after that play - after 3+ years under Frosts leadership the players knew the game was lost as well
Do you think it's a situation like back in the day when, in a basketball game, with Indiana and Bobby Knight trailing by a wide margin to LSU, coached by Dale Brown? Knight said after the game, "we were way behind, and then I looked down the other bench and seen Dale Brown. Right then I knew we had a chance."

Let's hope Frost has learned from his mistakes. But based on his comments he has not learned anything yet!

I get that as fans we want a "competition" for the spot but usually if you have a true competition, it means neither of them are all that great.

The old Montana and Steve Young thing doesn't happen much.

Reactions: RaulJones
NU is 40% of the way through fall practice. At this point, it "appears" these will be the starters: (Subject to change).

Thompson, Grant, Palmer, Omar, Teddy, Corcoran, Hixson, Vokolek.
Nelson, Robinson, Mathis, Nick, Luke, Farmer, Newsome.

7-8 positions on each side of the ball is pretty solid with 3-4 spots on each side still undetermined.

It may not make much difference if the other DT/NT is Nash or Wynn, they'll both play alot. Same with the other positions.

I think the OL could still have some pretty good battles left between RG and maybe even RT.
Looks like they will play 3 guys at nickel, so whoever starts isn't that big a deal.

I probably forgot a player or two who may have separated themselves from the position group.
Sounds right.

Reactions: king_kong_
you absolutely need your no. 2 qb experienced and comfortable running the no. 1 offense. no doubt he will have to step in and win a tight game at some point. same with no. 3 qb as soon as no. 2 looks pretty ready. could care less what any coach says this time of year.

you absolutely need your no. 2 qb experienced and comfortable running the no. 1 offense. no doubt he will have to step in and win a tight game at some point. same with no. 3 qb as soon as no. 2 looks pretty ready. could care less what any coach says this time of year.
50/50 split right now. Casey being biatch about his thumb.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
true for sure. however we have certainly learned you cant put all your eggs in one basket. always thought a little bench time would have done wonders for am's game
he did get benched

came back same as ever

Yeah...but they wear those clothes for themselves...not to be looked at!!!!
Yea, she must have been 20 or 21 with perfect skin, Booty shorts with the bottom of her cheeks hanging out, and Tank top with a slit to show cleavage and no bra. Way more comfortable than t-shirt and sweatpants!

• Love
Reactions: SuperBigFan
for the mental mistakes or for injuries. then again we had a stable full of projects to back him up
They tried Luke at QB in 2020. He led us to our first victory vs Penn State. Next week Luke lays an egg and we lose to Illinois. Amart started the rest of his time here.

Reactions: huntered
I’m not sure I’d say that McCaffrey led us to a victory over Penn State. It’s more like he went along for the ride.
Was I the only one who was excited with that win? I thought Luke provided a shot in the arm. Was he the one? No. He led us to victory regardless of how everything turned out. I figured how much worse could it get than Amart.

Was I the only one who was excited with that win? I thought Luke provided a shot in the arm. Was he the one? No. He led us to victory regardless of how everything turned out. I figured how much worse could it get than Amart

We caught a team off guard with Luke’s athleticism in his first start. By halftime, Luke had led the team to a comfortable lead. But Penn St made halftime adjustments and dominated the second half. We were lucky to hang on and win. But Penn St was highly regarded and a win is a win. A rarity of late.

Yea, she must have been 20 or 21 with perfect skin, Booty shorts with the bottom of her cheeks hanging out, and Tank top with a slit to show cleavage and no bra. Way more comfortable than t-shirt and sweatpants!
Dude, my gym is littered with those girls, it is nuts what they wear to the gym.

I would think by now gyms would have a "wrist band" or something that you could get when you walk in, a certain color would mean you are open to being approached or single or whatever because face it, I am sure half the people at the gym are single and looking.

Dude, my gym is littered with those girls, it is nuts what they wear to the gym.

I would think by now gyms would have a "wrist band" or something that you could get when you walk in, a certain color would mean you are open to being approached or single or whatever because face it, I am sure half the people at the gym are single and looking.
Beware of the scantily clad "chicks" wearing a scarf as a fashion accessory.

• Love
Reactions: SuperBigFan
Hard to believe that Luke McCaffrey was the only quarterback recruit in 2019 and Smothers was the only quarterback recruit in 2020.
Harry Potter's Grandpa's hand picked QBs......... Thank goodness we have an OC/QB coach who knows what a D-1 QB looks like. That said, I believe we could win games with a run based offense with Smothers running it. The key for this season IMO will be our O line play.

Of course … that doesn’t mean you make comments about position x is player z’s to lose with 3 weeks left of camp

messaging matters - you win rather than not lose starting positions

in close games do Frost teams play to win or “not to lose”?

ffs in the Iowa game after the blocked punt - we still had the lead in the 4th quarter, had out played them and were at home and the head coach was quoted as saying he knew the game was lost after that play - after 3+ years under Frosts leadership the players knew the game was lost as well
Everybody on God's green earth knew that the job was Thompson's job to lose from the day he was signed. Everybody.

Harry Potter's Grandpa's hand picked QBs......... Thank goodness we have an OC/QB coach who knows what a D-1 QB looks like. That said, I believe we could win games with a run based offense with Smothers running it. The key for this season IMO will be our O line play.
I agree with what you said about Verduzco. But I don’t think we would win many games with Smothers. He doesn’t run or pass as well as Martinez.

Since none of know how NU will fare this season, but with hopefully a really solid defense, an improved special teams play and a run based offense with Smother, IMO the top side record for NU might be about 7-5. OU, MU, WU, IA and throw in a loss somewhere between MN, PUR.

I DO think 1-2 series in each half with Smothers and a run based offense to really give defenses things to prepare for could benefit the Huskers. We still remember how NU just walked the ball downfield on OSU when they were ill prepared to defend it.

Catching that other team transitioning on defense in their 4th or 5th defensive change, resting some key personnel is always a good time to try that type of offense.

Given Whipple's tendency to throw the ball, it's doubtful NU would resort to Smothers, barring injury to the top 2 QB's.

The idea that NU is going to run the ball pays off in the overall offense. I'm all for an aggressive OL.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Don't be fooled. Before Whipple, not a single QB got added to the team without Frost's specific endorsement and approval. Frost liked "Harry Potter's Grandpa" so much precisely because he deferred all those decisions to Frost and never argued with him about Frost's recruiting choices. I think the best thing about Whipple is that he isn't afraid to stand up for his own views. Now time will tell if Whipple is better or not but his past track record would say he probably is. Performance on the field will tell us one way or the other.

Everybody on God's green earth knew that the job was Thompson's job to lose from the day he was signed. Everybody.
Agree again dingle. No question Whipple and Frost were determined to bring in a QB with P5 experience that has shown the ability to throw the ball, and run enough to keep the defense honest. It was a clear indication that Smothers had a determined topside.

With Chubba's history of injury, and his lack of actual game experience was a nice addition. Although, I'd rather not have Frost annoint Thompson as having the job as his to lose, we all know what their plan was from the day Thompson signed.

August 10 1995 - 3 weeks before the first
game

TO doesn’t even name Tommie Frazier the starter let alone make an idiot statement that the job is his to lose despite everybody on gods green earth knowing that Frazier is the starter. Everybody.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: WHCSC and huntered
game

TO doesn’t even name Tommie Frazier the starter let alone make an idiot statement that the job is his to lose despite everyone on gods green earth knowing that Frazier is the starter

Nebraska had 2 QBs with significant experience and starts the previous season. Both won games and showed themselves worthy. And yes, TO was the master at giving nothing away when he spoke.

Frost is not TO. Not in any way possible. He has failed again and again here. No arguments there.

But him saying it’s Thompson’s job to lose isn’t Armageddon. We all know Frost doesn’t always think about his words before he speaks. So he said it’s Thompson’s job to lose. If Purdy overtakes him, it doesn’t mean, as you suggest, that Thompson sucked down the stretch. Purdy could just be better.

And I don’t think Thompson’s confidence will take a hit if that’s the case. He doesn’t strike me as the fragile type.

Nebraska had 2 QBs with significant experience and starts the previous season. Both won games and showed themselves worthy. And yes, TO was the master at giving nothing away when he spoke.

Frost is not TO. Not in any way possible. He has failed again and again here. No arguments there.

But him saying it’s Thompson’s job to lose isn’t Armageddon. We all know Frost doesn’t always think about his words before he speaks. So he said it’s Thompson’s job to lose. If Purdy overtakes him, it doesn’t mean, as you suggest, that Thompson sucked down the stretch. Purdy could just be better.

And I don’t think Thompson’s confidence will take a hit if that’s the case. He doesn’t strike me as the fragile type.
I had high hopes that he would be able to choose his words more wisely since he has been relieved of most of his actual coaching duties

game

TO doesn’t even name Tommie Frazier the starter let alone make an idiot statement that the job is his to lose despite everyone on gods green earth knowing that Frazier is the starter

1. TO is the GOAT when it comes to understatement to the media.

2. This is like comparing apples to hand grenades.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT