ADVERTISEMENT

Chubba making a move?

Purdy is Whipple's guy. This hopefully keeps them both hungry and they will both probably have to play this year. I still think p5 experience starts in Ireland.

I always defend Scott but Chubba wants to fight till the end to win the job. He didn’t need to say that. Serves no purpose
It's one thing to be #1 in practice and lead the squad, it's another when the real games count. Hopefully, Thompson plays really, really well and takes the team over through productive play.

I have confidence Whipple and Frost know who is likely the top guy. However, if NU IS committed to trying to win, it's pointless to have a repeat of the last 4 years in the event Thompson's play falls short. Whipple talks a lot about turnovers, so he enters season #1 with the mentality of NU not beating themselves. Whipple definitely places a LOT of importance on the fact hat Thompson has that game experience.

I'm hopeful Chubba will continue to get reps with the 1's so he's ready to step in should an injury or a struggling performance need a change up.

We already know what Smothers can do. He's shown he can do a good job of running the offense, and that's a nice thing to have as NU begins a long, physical season.

It's been a long time since NU had a quarterback who kept physical/mental mistakes to a minimum.

Last edited:
What's wrong with saying that? Is it not true? Couldn't it motivate the other QBs?
With 3 weeks of practice left before the first game - the narrative should be about players continuing to win the job rather than on Aug 5 declaring the position someone’s to lose or choke away

if Purdy has an amazing few weeks of practice and is named the starter or co #1 the narrative is about Thompson losing the job because Frost declared it his to lose on Aug 5 rather than Purdy winning it

stupid choice of words -

Last edited:
Reactions: ssmill777
May the best man win the QB job. I don't care who it is as long as he gets the job done. Regarding Purdy it's certainly no surprise that he would have improved with practices he didn't get while injured in the Spring. Prudent in my opinion to give both the top 2 QBs reps with the First Offense as a contingency plan.

What happened to DeColdest Crawford? “ Corcarans injury isn’t serious,” seems Frost uses that phrase allot, Fidone last year, Prochazka last year, Martinez the last two years, Steppe for two years. Frost has said all along this team has the chemistry, now their saying that no one wants to lead. Seems to reflect the coaching.

With 3 weeks of practice left before the first game - the narrative should be about players continuing to win the job rather than on Aug 5 declaring the position someone’s to lose or choke away

if Purdy has an amazing few weeks of practice and is named the starter or co #1 the narrative is about Thompson losing the job because Frost declared it his to lose on Aug 5 rather than Purdy winning it

stupid choice of words -
NU is 40% of the way through fall practice. At this point, it "appears" these will be the starters: (Subject to change).

Thompson, Grant, Palmer, Omar, Teddy, Corcoran, Hixson, Vokolek.
Nelson, Robinson, Mathis, Nick, Luke, Farmer, Newsome.

7-8 positions on each side of the ball is pretty solid with 3-4 spots on each side still undetermined.

It may not make much difference if the other DT/NT is Nash or Wynn, they'll both play alot. Same with the other positions.

I think the OL could still have some pretty good battles left between RG and maybe even RT.
Looks like they will play 3 guys at nickel, so whoever starts isn't that big a deal.

I probably forgot a player or two who may have separated themselves from the position group.

Reactions: king_kong_
NU is 40% of the way through fall practice. At this point, it "appears" these will be the starters: (Subject to change).

Thompson, Grant, Palmer, Omar, Teddy, Corcoran, Hixson, Vokolek.
Nelson, Robinson, Mathis, Nick, Luke, Farmer, Newsome.

7-8 positions on each side of the ball is pretty solid with 3-4 spots on each side still undetermined.

It may not make much difference if the other DT/NT is Nash or Wynn, they'll both play alot. Same with the other positions.

I think the OL could still have some pretty good battles left between RG and maybe even RT.
Looks like they will play 3 guys at nickel, so whoever starts isn't that big a deal.

I probably forgot a player or two who may have separated themselves from the position group.
Of course … that doesn’t mean you make comments about position x is player z’s to lose with 3 weeks left of camp

messaging matters - you win rather than not lose starting positions

in close games do Frost teams play to win or “not to lose”?

ffs in the Iowa game after the blocked punt - we still had the lead in the 4th quarter, had out played them and were at home and the head coach was quoted as saying he knew the game was lost after that play - after 3+ years under Frosts leadership the players knew the game was lost as well

Last edited:
Of course … that doesn’t mean you make comments about position x is player z’s to lose with 3 weeks left of camp

messaging matters - you win rather than not lose starting positions

in close games do Frost teams play to win or “not to lose”?

ffs in the Iowa after the blocked punt - we still had the lead in the 4th quarter, had out played them and were at home and the head coach was quoted as saying he knew the game was lost after that play - after 3+ years under Frosts leadership the players knew the game was lost as well
I do kinda agree with you Redmich. There's no doubt Nelson, Teddy, Mathis, etc etc are gonna be the starters.

In competitive position battles, I'd as soon hear them say, "at this point Thompson is in a position to start. There's a slight separation among him and the other QB's, but there's still a long way to go in fall practice."

NU is a program that needs to put their foot on the gas and keep it there. So many unanswered questions that the upper Top 20 teams don't even have to think about.

If interested, we fans should do a "checklist" of things NU hasn't shown in 4 years that will have to be shown to indicate NU is turning the corner. Other than the obvious of not winning. It IS a loooonnnngg list I think.

Reactions: king_kong_
Hard to believe that Luke McAffrey was the only quarterback recruit in 2019 and Smothers was the only quarterback recruit in 2020.
One word: hubris

frost is all out of teeth. hopefully he’s ready to do some kicking himself for a change

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT