ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Klieman to KSU for 2.3M/yr

Who is that? (says 90% of the college football watching fans)

I bet it's less than 90% but then again it says more about the ones that don't know than the hire. Did ya think Riley was a good hire because lots of people knew who he was and thought he was a good guy? LOL.

On the afternoon of September 17, 2016, in Iowa City, the legendary North Dakota State met #11 Iowa. The NDSU Defense was under the field direction of the brilliant All-American captain and middle-linebacker Nick DeLuca, formerly All-Nebraska First Team and Super-State Team middle-linebacker of the State Champion Millard North High School of Omaha. The NDSU Offense was under the field direction of the equally brilliant captain and quarterback Eston Stick, formerly All-Nebraska First Team and Super-State Team quarterback of Creighton Prep High School of Omaha.

Iowa, of course, suffered a disastrous and humiliating defeat to NDSU, but later that Fall preceded to beat Nebraska, as expected. Did the football geniuses in Lincoln ask at the time what the hell these two brilliant Omaha high school football players were doing at a university in Fargo, North Dakota? Yes, Coach Klieman knows how to recruit real talent! I have seen the great Norh Dakota State not only beat Iowa in the last decade, but also Kansas State. Thank God that the Big 10 conference has now decreed that their teams will no longer accept games with FCS teams! Nebraska will not be the next ghastly victim. v

RollingLaugh

I think for KSU this is a pretty good hire. Have you watched his teams play?

The only coach who has ever had success at KSUcks is Bill Snyder. Bill Snyder is one of the best coaches of all-time. Are you saying this guy is on par with Bill Snyder?

We're talking about jumping up a whole level-not just going from minor conference school to major conference school. There are a few who have successfully made the jump-Jim Tressel, Jim Harbaugh and Brian Kelly(who had a couple of stops at minor conference FBS schools before being hired at Notre Dame), but many more that have not worked out.
True, but most coaches don't work out. What % of coaches have been canned? 99%?

Coaching football is coaching football...it doesn't matter the level. The only thing that will matter is if he can recruit talent that is either comparable to what KSU has had or recruit even better talent. Then...make that talent even better once on campus.

He's a coach that will recruit the midwest hard. Gives us more competition for the 500 mile radius kids. And his style is suited to kids in the area.

K State currently only has 11 commits and a bunch of open scholarships. I assume they will have to hit JUCO pretty hard and I wonder if they will offer some of our walk on commits and targets.

K State currently only has 11 commits and a bunch of open scholarships. I assume they will have to hit JUCO pretty hard and I wonder if they will offer some of our walk on commits and targets.

They may lose a couple guys still due to the coaching change.

I think it is a decent hire. Wouldn't be thrilled about not having the freedom to hire my own staff

How many does he have to retain?

Talked to my cousin in Moorhead and their hoping their Defensive coordinator gets the Bison Head Coaching job..

Would you say Kleiman is a better head coach than Bohl?

As of now till he is there for a couple of years I’d say NO.

Good question, I think no one really knows, Bohl had some great games against Power 5 schools too, and Bohl actually built that ND program. Brian Kelly had success at Western Mich and then Cincy, which got him the Notre Dame job. Others fail miserably like Brady Hoke and Dan Hawkins, Bohl struggling... so no one really knows right now, I'd say it's a risky hire IMHO, I'd take Troy's coach or someone proven to win more games against power 5 teams.

This is a reasonable hire for KSU. I think they are going to struggle in the future, regardless of who they hired. But this is a nice gig for Kleiman, landing a P5 job without having to go through a smaller FBS school first. KU landing Miles definitely over-shadows this hire, and I’m sure KSU fans are a little nervous that they are about to be passed.

Talked to my cousin in Moorhead and their hoping their Defensive coordinator gets the Bison Head Coaching job..
No clue. Just going off what's been said here that ksu making new coach retain some assisstants

Could you assemble an entire coaching staff from sons of coaches? I think someone should try. Obviously Snyder Jr. and Ferentz Jr. are in. Who else? Did Paterno's kid coach?

There was talk that Litrell didn’t like the fact that he couldn’t bring his whole staff and that he would have to keep some K State staff. I assume Jr was one.

That's a bad idea to hamstring a coach before he starts coaching your team. Snyder still has some power evidently.

Talked to a friend of mine who bleeds purple. Said AD was asked about this at press conference. Said we have some very good assistant coaches that they would like to see get an interview, but in no way would they not permit him to choose his own staff.

So I guess that's that.

Manhattan Kansas is not any different than Fargo, North Dakota.[/
This is a reasonable hire for KSU. I think they are going to struggle in the future, regardless of who they hired. But this is a nice gig for Kleiman, landing a P5 job without having to go through a smaller FBS school first. KU landing Miles definitely over-shadows this hire, and I’m sure KSU fans are a little nervous that they are about to be passed.
didn't kst make its living on jucos? People say it's difficult to recruit to lincoln Nebraska, well lincoln is a crown Jewel compared to Manhattan Kansas. I think the days of raiding the jucos for kst is over, simply because all schools do now including bama Georgia, Ohio state just to name a few. I don't think that was the case in the late 80's early 90's, kst had there pick of the best

Craig Bohl built NDSU, and he's gone 28-35 at Wyoming.

Klieman has zero FBS coaching experience. Good luck on the recruiting trail.
Klieman was there with Bohl...some think Klieman was the reason Bohl had so much success. Klieman has beat FBS teams. He'll be fine.

Talked to a friend of mine who bleeds purple. Said AD was asked about this at press conference. Said we have some very good assistant coaches that they would like to see get an interview, but in no way would they not permit him to choose his own staff.

So I guess that's that.
Kleiman has known Snyder for decades and has immense respect for him. I read somewhere today that he actually went to camps when he was a kid that Snyder put on. I don't think keeping a few assistants is a problem for him.

Here's hoping it is a terrible hire and it sends KSU further into the dumpster.

Multiple articles by the Manhattan Mercury sports staff and other reliable media as well as statements by the KSU AD's office have torpedoed the social media rumors that many here seem to believe that keeping any of Snyder's staff was ever included as a requirement for Klieman or any of the other candidates who were talked to about the job. If any are retained it will have been the new head coach's decision to do so.

Our current AD was actually the AD at NDSU who hired Bohl and then promoted Klieman in house when Bohl moved on. Lots of agents for coaches like to put out false info about "offers" in order to keep their clients' names "out there" as hot items on the market while also providing excuses for the reasons they either wouldn't or couldn't take a particular job offer.

Why and how did we hear so little about Brent Venables and this job??

I don’t necessarily agree with this but some would say being the Defensive Coordinator at Clemson playing for national championships and making over 2 million a year is a better job than being the Head Coach at Kansas State even for more money.

Why and how did we hear so little about Brent Venables and this job??

I'm not a premium board member but it looked like, from many of the threads on there, that a lot of fans were hoping BV would get the offer and take the job. Me, I still think that the whole Stoops crew-- including Mangino and Venebles-- who Oklahoma hired away from Snyder the week before our 11-0 CCG with A&M in '98 didn't really give their all for their team knowing what it would be like to recruit against Snyder with a MNC game under his belt.

So far as I've seen though the AD is going to remain tight-lipped about who he talked with-- apparently he holed up in New York and flew the candidates in there for meetings to avoid media scrutiny. I myself think because of his previous job as AD at NDSU he was pretty set on this hire.

We're obviously not going to be able to replace Snyder, he's one of a kind. I'm an old fan from way back and remember the bad old days-- seems like most younger K-State fans, many of whom have been calling for Snyder's head for several years now-- are in for quite a shock in the next few years. I hope Klieman can keep things from going completely down the drain the way they did with Prince but I've been preparing myself for this day since the first time Snyder retired and honestly, while I'm keeping an open mind, I'm sure not expecting another Miracle in Manhattan. If we can be a 7-5 or 8-4 team year-in and year-out we should consider ourselves very lucky going into the next round of conference re-alignments.

So far as I've seen though the AD is going to remain tight-lipped about who he talked with-- apparently he holed up in New York and flew the candidates in there for meetings to avoid media scrutiny. I myself think because of his previous job as AD at NDSU he was pretty set on this hire
The Kansas State AD holed up in New York and flew in candidates there for meetings to avoid media scrutiny? That sounds like something the AD of Norte Dame or Alabama might need to do. But Kansas State?

The Kansas State AD holed up in New York and flew in candidates there for meetings to avoid media scrutiny? That sounds like something the AD of Norte Dame or Alabama might need to do. But Kansas State?

The NFF awards dinner was there, so several prospective coaches were already going to be there. Good chance to talk to several without a lot of BS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT