ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly is either a genius.....

Originally posted by HuskerDana:
or a complete moron and has no idea what he is doing.
I am guessing moron. They need to get Demarco Murray or they are in serious trouble.

Maybe he figures Bradford is better trade bait as the draft gets closer? Bradford is already a better QB having been under Kelly for a few hours now.....I have no idea what he's doing but it's fun to watch from afar.

Originally posted by BetterRed:

Trading for Bradford has got to be the biggest head scratcher. Aside from him being an injury machine, how does he fit Kelly's offense? He's a drop back passer with not much mobility. I don't get it.
I think everyone has completely forgot about that offense that Bradford ran at Oklahoma. It was a fast, up-tempo offense that relies on the short to intermediate passing game like Kelly wants to run. The main difference is that Bradford lacks mobility to be an Oregon like QB, but I think Kelly is catching on that the mobile qb is never going to pan out in the NFL. On the surface, it doesn't seem bright. But if Bradford can get healthy, I think it'll be a better fit than most think.

Originally posted by shine003:

Trading for Bradford has got to be the biggest head scratcher. Aside from him being an injury machine, how does he fit Kelly's offense? He's a drop back passer with not much mobility. I don't get it.
I think everyone has completely forgot about that offense that Bradford ran at Oklahoma. It was a fast, up-tempo offense that relies on the short to intermediate passing game like Kelly wants to run. The main difference is that Bradford lacks mobility to be an Oregon like QB, but I think Kelly is catching on that the mobile qb is never going to pan out in the NFL. On the surface, it doesn't seem bright. But if Bradford can get healthy, I think it'll be a better fit than most think.
I'm hardly a Philly fan........but I thought Foles ran things just fine for that offense. So it's not so much picking up Bradford, but also getting rid of Foles. To me, just a dumb move all around.

Right on the money...

Originally posted by c2o:
Bradford is better than Foles.
He is.
They both get hurt.
Bradford looks good when he is on the field (more upside than Foles). But he can't stay on the field. Not sure is Chip thinks his superior training program will cure Sam, or if he got access to the medical records that show Bradford now has bionic knees after the last surgery.

Risky decision IMHO.

Originally posted by HuskerNinja:
Not a genius by NFL standards. It is dumb to leave your defense on the field for so long.
Yep. His shtick will wear out its welcome in the league. Kelly will be back in college in 2 years......and college football will be better for it.

He may not be in love with Bradford, but maybe, after looking at the draft and all the available QB's, he figures Bradford is his best chance to win in the next 2 years, if he can stay healthy. Nobody thinks Mariotta is going to come in and operate at a high level and the few free agents out there aren't blowing anyone's doors off either. That's all I can think of, because this is a head scratching move, especially when you consider how much Bradford is under contract for.

Chip Kelly doesn't really value the RB position as much. Yes, he of course would rather have talent than no talent, but his general offensive mindset is that he wants a power house O line and a QB who knows how to make reads. He thinks his system will always result in eye-popping rushing yards from a RB.

Can we just go ahead and call Kelly a genius?

His plan may or may not work, but going out and trading for Bradford (who is a good fit for his system) has now positioned them to likely sign Demarco Murray, who was Bradford's college roommate at RB. Again, it has to translate to success on the field, but on paper, it worked.

His plan may or may not work, but going out and trading for Bradford (who is a good fit for his system) has now positioned them to likely sign Demarco Murray, who was Bradford's college roommate at RB. Again, it has to translate to success on the field, but on paper, it worked.
Considering the fact that the NFL is a quarterback driven league these days, unless you are lights out on defense like Seattle, it looks dumb as hell. Bradford is hot garbage and all the running backs in the world won't change that.

What worked? He gave big money for an aging, oft injured RB.......when RBs are mostly disposable in the NFL. Im a Cowboys fan and I am glad they didn't give that kind of scratch to Murray. I want that money to go toward pass rush help and draft an RB.

Originally posted by jteten:

What worked? He gave big money for an aging, oft injured RB.......when RBs are mostly disposable in the NFL. Im a Cowboys fan and I am glad they didn't give that kind of scratch to Murray. I want that money to go toward pass rush help and draft an RB.
27 is "aging"? Jheesh, I'm freaking ancient then. Plus, giving big money to Dez is a waaay bigger risk IMO. I get they couldn't keep both, I'm just not sure I would be crowing about this if I were a Cowboy fan. UNLESS, AP is on the way. Then, you can crow. That would be sweet, for Cowboy fans, of which I am not.

As a Cowboys fan I'm THRILLED that we didn't give Murray that contract. I don't think it's an upgrade for the Eagles. We have to see what the Cowboys do at RB but there are guys out there that I would say aren't much of a downgrade. Murray (at 27) is "aging" in the RB world. There are lots of RBs who started their decline around that age. Would I have liked to see him stay in Dallas? Yes. But that contract was never going to work there.

As a Cowboys fan I'm THRILLED that we didn't give Murray that contract. I don't think it's an upgrade for the Eagles. We have to see what the Cowboys do at RB but there are guys out there that I would say aren't much of a downgrade. Murray (at 27) is "aging" in the RB world. There are lots of RBs who started their decline around that age. Would I have liked to see him stay in Dallas? Yes. But that contract was never going to work there.

Originally posted by litespeedhuskerfan:

Originally posted by jteten:

27 is "aging"? Jheesh, I'm freaking ancient then. Plus, giving big money to Dez is a waaay bigger risk IMO. I get they couldn't keep both, I'm just not sure I would be crowing about this if I were a Cowboy fan. UNLESS, AP is on the way. Then, you can crow. That would be sweet, for Cowboy fans, of which I am not.
27 is aging for NFL RBs. And I wouldn't want to pay big money for AP either. Would love to have either of them for the next couple of years, but not for that kind of money. I would rather see that money go to Dez every day of the week.

All Downhill From Here

I can't imagine Cowboy fans are as happy as they claim with him walking out the door. I have no choice but to wonder if it's a situation where you didn't get to keep him, so everyone is acting like they didn't care. Maybe not, but that's 2 Cowboy fans now telling me they don't mind him walking out the door, I find that hard to believe.

I can't imagine Cowboy fans are as happy as they claim with him walking out the door. I have no choice but to wonder if it's a situation where you didn't get to keep him, so everyone is acting like they didn't care. Maybe not, but that's 2 Cowboy fans now telling me they don't mind him walking out the door, I find that hard to believe.
As a lifelong Raiders fan, I can confirm that having your NFL team degrade it's talent is never a winning formula.

Do I like him walking out the door? Of course not. Would I have been happy with that contract? No. It's simple. That's 2 different things. Dallas just lost 2 starting LBs and there are other issues on the defense. I'd rather them go get a RB in the draft, whether it's first round or second now and use the money to fill in those holes on D now.

Also, the Eagles just signed Ryan Matthews. So now they have Sproles, Polk, Matthews and Murray.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind the Cowboys kicking the tires on Trent Richardson who just got released by the Colts. He'd likely a dirt cheap deal to prove himself. That is if he's committed to being a football player after the last couple years. But at this point he has to be an extremely low risk/high reward guy. Pair him with a RB from the draft and who knows.

Originally posted by Metalfan:
To be honest, I wouldn't mind the Cowboys kicking the tires on Trent Richardson who just got released by the Colts. He'd likely a dirt cheap deal to prove himself. That is if he's committed to being a football player after the last couple years. But at this point he has to be an extremely low risk/high reward guy. Pair him with a RB from the draft and who knows.
Agreed. You can win in the NFL with a cheap RB or committee approach. Put the $$$ elsewhere (O line for instance).

Originally posted by Metalfan:
Agreed with your previous post, but a big no thanks on Trent Richardson. Would rather have any number of draft picks in the 2nd or 3rd round than that guy. Too bad Randle is an idiot, because he showed some promise.

but on paper, it worked.

roll.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT