ADVERTISEMENT

Chin's Tackling Method

donahues17

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 5, 2005
I read an article the other day that Chin teaches basically a rear pocket tackling method. Where they teach the tackler to aim his head for the far back pocket of the ball carrier. Please explain this too me. Ive always taught kids that head across front of body with facemask aimed at the ball. How does he teach this back pocket method?

Reactions: BleedRed78
I dont know if thats true or not, but what you’re referring to is now known as “Seahawks tackling”, made famous by pete carrols good seattle defenses. Its based on rugby tackling and prevents cutbacks.

Check it out on youtube. Seahawks tackling.

I read an article the other day that Chin teaches basically a rear pocket tackling method. Where they teach the tackler to aim his head for the far back pocket of the ball carrier. Please explain this too me. Ive always taught kids that head across front of body with facemask aimed at the ball. How does he teach this back pocket method?
Because usually our defenders are chasing someone from behind?

Got me. I was taught to focus on mid section and drive through eliminating head and shoulder fakes.

Of course I wouldn't make it through a game today. Be thrown out for spearing or targeting by halftime

I dont know if thats true or not, but what you’re referring to is now known as “Seahawks tackling”, made famous by pete carrols good seattle defenses. Its based on rugby tackling and prevents cutbacks.

Ive seen this before. I dont think its a very effective method to teach college kids as they arent near as strong or fundamentally sound as pros. To put your body behind the ball carrier and be strong enough to wrap them up and roll is not easy.

Read or heard something in the last few days from Chins in which he said he teaches tackling where the helmet hits where the change would be in someone's pocket. I thought to myself, "Well, that's original. I wonder who else coaches to hit someone there?"

Yeah, it is the new rage...you ideally don't want your head to get slammed into by the dudes knees.

They use a big donut to practice it...

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Whatever tackling method they're teaching hasn't been working. I would have guessed the method they were teaching was called 'reach and pray.'

• Haha
Reactions: donahues17
Yeah, it is the new rage...you ideally don't want your head to get slammed into by the dudes knees.

They use a big donut to practice it...
If thats what you are worried about then join the cheer squad. Obviously we have too many players now that have the same concerns as you.

Put your head and outside should in front of the runner and smash him with your inside shoulder. Its much harder to break a tackle when 2/3 of a body is in front of you. When its just your inside arm stopping the ball carrier they can run right through it. Seems like what we do alot.

Reactions: BleedRed78
The bigger problem is if they're tackling in practice at all. We know that Frost would take every possible opportunity to reduce contact in practices and scrimmages.

thats why it looked like farmer patted that sun belts team running back on the ass, on his way to the endzone...
yeah thats officially over..if trev hires me as hc.

The bigger problem is if they're tackling in practice at all. We know that Frost would take every possible opportunity to reduce contact in practices and scrimmages.
NU didn't even tackle during the first half of the spring game the last two years, meaning the 1-2 teams were exempt from tackling for fear of getting hurt.

Reactions: oldjar07
Unathletic guys miss tackles in open space no matter how good they are at tackling techniques. Even subpar tackling technique is hidden by speed, agility, and strength which are all suboptimal. How good of a tackling technique did Suh have? Did anyone care while watching him throw Colt McCoy?

NU didn't even tackle during the first half of the spring game the last two years, meaning the 1-2 teams were exempt from tackling for fear of getting hurt.

These are the two most inexcusable things about SF that made him fail at Nebraska and pisses me off to no end besides not taking special teams seriously enough to win games..

This is the way USA football is telling youth coaches to teach tackling to prevent injury as well.

It makes sense in that regard, and I've seen it be very effective (both with the Seahawks and with the kids I coach), but like others have said above, it all comes down to A) the tackler being able to tackle and B) practicing the skill.

Withouth A and B, nobody ends up on the ground.

Sounds like whatever they were teaching in regards to tackling it was all theory and not actually practiced

Reactions: oldjar07
More so our personnel is an absolute joke and guys are also taking bad angles. We are always out of place and out schemed. Our defense is not good regardless but we can make some tweaks to get better.

add a DL and get rid of the nickel. take our Farmer. These two things get you slightly better

ADVERTISEMENT