ADVERTISEMENT

Chinander

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
Chinander has been a DC for 47 total games (UCF and NEb). Of those 47 games his D has allowed a team to score 50+ 3 times. 40+ 8 times. 30+ 23 times. 20+ 34 times. He has held a team under 20 13 times. Right now his teams are averaging 27.36 ppg. That average would put us in the 60s and 70s most years. Im sorry but that is not going to cut it. It just isn't. I know Nebraska has had a tendency to to hire and fire coaches and staff. I know we need stability, but Chinander has be a DC for almost 4 full years. That is enough data to have a pretty good idea of what you are getting out of a coach. That data suggest he isn't going to be good enough. Just my opinion.

wow haven't heard anyone call for Chin's job on this board. thank you for your bravery posting such an original thought.
giphy.gif

I’m with you on this. We desperately need continuity, but keeping a DC that can’t cut it for the sake of continuity is not the answer. I also think you provided more than just an opinion, that was a lot of data to back it up. Plus those UCF defenses had guys like Hughes, Griffen, Hill and still struggled. So even if we get a lock down corner, dominating pass rusher and massive NT, we might still be average?

A move I wouldn’t mind seeing (and I know I’ll catch flick for this) is to for DeWitt to move on. Chin and move to OLB/Co-DC and being in a Co-DC to run the thing. Schools like Alabama and Ohio State have done this recently, with a lot of success. I would also like to see Walters move on. Frost clearly runs the offense and out WR’s have been bad. I know this board isn’t fond of the guy, but the recruiting and development were so much better under Williams, also look at the job Donte Williams has done with OLB’s and recruiting at Oregon. Wish we would have kept both.

Chinander has been a DC for 47 total games (UCF and NEb). Of those 47 games his D has allowed a team to score 50+ 3 times. 40+ 8 times. 30+ 23 times. 20+ 34 times. He has held a team under 20 13 times. Right now his teams are averaging 27.36 ppg. That average would put us in the 60s and 70s most years. Im sorry but that is not going to cut it. It just isn't. I know Nebraska has had a tendency to to hire and fire coaches and staff. I know we need stability, but Chinander has be a DC for almost 4 full years. That is enough data to have a pretty good idea of what you are getting out of a coach. That data suggest he isn't going to be good enough. Just my opinion.

Are you suggesting Frost let Chins go and hire a stud DC, possibly Pruitt?

This style of offense of going fast is going give the opposing team more time to score points. Never have a top 10 defense running that hyper speed offense especially when they aren't moving the ball.

Please stop with the TOP excuse. Look at the times of possession. The times are not lopsided.

This style of offense of going fast is going give the opposing team more time to score points. Never have a top 10 defense running that hyper speed offense especially when they aren't moving the ball.
The problem is the offense has sucked and doesn't go "hyper speed" Yet the D still allows average teams to put up monster numbers. Walks like a duck, talks like a duck, its a duck.

The problem is the offense has sucked and doesn't go "hyper speed" Yet the D still allows average teams to put up monster numbers. Walks like a duck, talks like a duck, its a duck.
Our offense allowed teams to put up monster numbers. We're thin at linebacker and are playing 3rd string safeties at times. Our offense HAS to sustain drives and score points. IMO not much of our defensive woes are Chinander's fault. Ultimately he gets the blame but man he lost his best linebacker to graduation last year and is trying desperately to develop what he has to work with. IMO MOST of our defensive problems are the direct result of a couple of insufficiently talented linebackers AND our injuries at safety. I have ZERO doubt that we would be at 7 wins right now IF we had our original starting safeties healthy and still had Gifford this year. The freshmen redshirting this year HAVE to step up next year as redshirt freshmen. Scary proposition but it's what we were left with.

Last edited:
The up tempo offense allows teams to get more possessions and plays. Riley and Pelini BOTH were lucky to get an offensive snap off before they got a delay of game penalty. It does matter. I'm not saying that our D has been good. I'm saying that looking at a stat like that is comparing apples to oranges.

@husker2612 , I would love it if you would start a thread about tweets Wandale liked instead of a thread about tweets his father liked.

TIA.

Rather then fire the guy, give him a goal (assuming that hasn't been done) and give him time to succeed.

Reactions: DropKickSkeelo
Rather then fire the guy, give him a goal (assuming that hasn't been done) and give him time to succeed.

Give him a raise and a new goal. Get all the assistants over $1 million. Why not? If he leaves next coach picks up $1 million

I’m with you on this. We desperately need continuity, but keeping a DC that can’t cut it for the sake of continuity is not the answer. I also think you provided more than just an opinion, that was a lot of data to back it up. Plus those UCF defenses had guys like Hughes, Griffen, Hill and still struggled. So even if we get a lock down corner, dominating pass rusher and massive NT, we might still be average?

A move I wouldn’t mind seeing (and I know I’ll catch flick for this) is to for DeWitt to move on. Chin and move to OLB/Co-DC and being in a Co-DC to run the thing. Schools like Alabama and Ohio State have done this recently, with a lot of success. I would also like to see Walters move on. Frost clearly runs the offense and out WR’s have been bad. I know this board isn’t fond of the guy, but the recruiting and development were so much better under Williams, also look at the job Donte Williams has done with OLB’s and recruiting at Oregon. Wish we would have kept both.
Just get rid of him if it's at the point where he gets demoted. I see no good that can come from that situation. Besides I think Chinander and his attitude is a bad influence on Frost. If he's not cutting it at DC, best to get him as far away from the program as possible.

Should have already been done. Chinander is what he is. I don't think time is going to change anything.

Total D rank: 76
Total O rank: 66

2018 total O was in top 25.

Basically if your O was humming like last years version different w-l record. Or perhaps DCs are trying to adjust to your O a little better.

Just another perspective.

Basically if your O was humming like last years version different w-l record. Or perhaps DCs are trying to adjust to your O a little better.

We shouldn't have to rely on our offense to put up 40+ to win games. Besides, everytime our inept offense scores, subsequently our defense gives up a touchdown. You must have missed Purdue's 3rd string QB go 6 for 6 on the game winning drive.

Reactions: HuskerDana

Trying to strike while his seat is hot.

Its not at a bad thing. Not looking at the offense at all....would Chinander be a welcome change for Iowa at DC?

.....thought so.

We shouldn't have to rely on our offense to put up 40+ to win games. Besides, everytime our inept offense scores, subsequently our defense gives up a touchdown. You must have missed Purdue's 3rd string QB go 6 for 6 on the game winning drive.
TBF, that is exactly what Frost's system is supposed to do, generate 40+ points per game and D that gives up less than that. I believe that is basically what he did at UCF. I really hate to look at it like this, but the D has actually improved in a linear fashion for PPG from 2017 through 2019. The Offense, on the other hand, is scoring almost exactly what Riley scored in 2017. I know that calling for Chin's head is the popular approach at the moment, but the O is actually the unit that is performing no where near what is needed to run the entire system as designed.

TBF, that is exactly what Frost's system is supposed to do, generate 40+ points per game and D that gives up less than that. I believe that is basically what he did at UCF. I really hate to look at it like this, but the D has actually improved in a linear fashion for PPG from 2017 through 2019. The Offense, on the other hand, is scoring almost exactly what Riley scored in 2017. I know that calling for Chin's head is the popular approach at the moment, but the O is actually the unit that is performing no where near what is needed to run the entire system as designed.

The O has been terrible. Even when it does execute well, Martinez has been horrid. Now the D does have it's moments where it can hold it's own such as Colorado for 3 qtrs, Purdue for 2 qtrs, Illinois in the 4th qtr but we gotta remember that those teams were playing with a lot of backups and young guys. We can all agree that we know exactly the turning point in each game where the defense is going to break.

@husker2612 , I would love it if you would start a thread about tweets Wandale liked instead of a thread about tweets his father liked.

TIA.
Well there is one that I see, that is positivity towards the coaches and the program, but you are more than welcome to start one if you see more.

I get what you're saying about the offense and wholeheartedly agree, but weak sauce calls our D swiss flavored suck.

The run D at the beginning of the year looked good and guys were swarming to the ball, it looked promising, maybe IF development was better or recruiting was eye opening on that side of the ball I could say I see hope for Chins, but man its looking horrible for him......record wise as a DC.

Frost's offense basically made him look ok for his entire UCF stint.

I think that is legitimate. However, the offense lost a lot of production and has had a lot of injuries. I think most fans see that the offense will probably be fine long term, but are having a very hard time seeing how the defense will be.

Well there is one that I see, that is positivity towards the coaches and the program, but you are more than welcome to start one if you see more.
I’m not on Twitter, or any other social media. I just think it makes more sense to hear straight from the player, not relatives of the player.

The drop off in #7 has been noticeable all year. He was a monster last year. I've seen others make excuses about his role being changed, etc. A prime example of how the coaching is just not working for these guys.

I’m not on Twitter, or any other social media. I just think it makes more sense to hear straight from the player, not relatives of the player.
It isn't a secret that his family wanted him to go the Kentucky and still want him there. I think they are using the poor season as a way to attempt to get in Wandale's head ,to transfer. The question is will he continue to do what he wants or will he cave to family pressure. If indeed he does end up transferring to Kentucky that would be hilarious because they are currently at 4-4.

It won't change a thing but if Scott doesn't have a better replacement then we should keep him on board and watch our miserable defense for another year.
He's proven to be a below average coordinator who is unwilling to change. It wouldn't be hard at all to find a better replacement. Even a good position coach or lower level coordinator would be a better option than bringing him back for another year.

It isn't a secret that his family wanted him to go the Kentucky and still want him there. I think they are using the poor season as a way to attempt to get in Wandale's head ,to transfer. The question is will he continue to do what he wants or will he cave to family pressure. If indeed he does end up transferring to Kentucky that would be hilarious because they are currently at 4-4.
weird, this direct quote from his family says otherwise:

His mother was against the option to stay home from the start.

“I wanted him to get out of Kentucky,” she said. “I did not want him to stay, I guess, because I believe that’s where his dad made his mistake. I did not want it to happen to him. I’m not saying it would, but I think that was my thought.”

Dale’s advice in that time last fall?

“Easy is not always what’s best,” he said. “Go to Nebraska, where you can be a man.”

His father’s troubled past drives Wan’Dale, he said, as does the message conveyed regularly to him by Dale, whose own father drove him hard in athletics but rarely exhibited the love that Dale strives to show Wan’Dale.

“You’re the one to break the cycle,” Wan’Dale said his dad tells him.

must be a slow day at the bullshit factory if you're putting words in their mouths that contradict direct, published quotes in the middle of the afternoon on a Monday.

Reactions: WHCSC and egaRdeR

His offense is designed to be a big play, quick striking offense that puts up a lot of yards and a lot of points. We are so early into this yet that not all things are in place yet to have the O be as explosive as it eventually will. Some of the adaptations of the offense will be incorpting some "Big Ten Weather" stuff into the offense.

On D it is about turnovers and keeping teams below a certain threshold of points. Frost isn't looking to have the #1 defensive and never will push for that. A functional defense that can make plays to win games.

In 8 losses under Frost, we are one score away from 8 more wins or the other way, 8 more defensive stops.

We are literally 3 drives away from having a 7-2 record.

His offense is designed to be a big play, quick striking offense that puts up a lot of yards and a lot of points. We are so early into this yet that not all things are in place yet to have the O be as explosive as it eventually will. Some of the adaptations of the offense will be incorpting some "Big Ten Weather" stuff into the offense.

On D it is about turnovers and keeping teams below a certain threshold of points. Frost isn't looking to have the #1 defensive and never will push for that. A functional defense that can make plays to win games.

In 8 losses under Frost, we are one score away from 8 more wins or the other way, 8 more defensive stops.

We are literally 3 drives away from having a 7-2 record.

So is Frost firing Chinander or what? You have studied Frost, and claimed he will do what’s right when necessary.

All this proves is that Chinstrap Chinander sucks when our offense is good and also sucks when our offense is bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT