ADVERTISEMENT

Chinander lost this game

What if you had destroyed the team the year before with outside runs?
So because something worked one year it will automatically work another? Is that the logic? Is so, never change the game plan and always just run the same plays no matter what the D is doing.

We used to have Fullback runs for 2 yards and kept running it.

It's about keeping the defense honest

If they knew we would never run the Fullback the option play would never be effective
There is always some setting up of the other team with plays. We used to do a lot of things but don't anymore, and neither does anyone else. By this logic, we just need to bring in a FB for a few plays?

I know everyone wants to blame Frost for losing the game because of the onside kick call. And I too think it was a stupid call at a stupid time in the game. Especially since our defense was playing like shit and onside kicks are low percentage plays, so the odds were you were going to give their offense a short field against our shit defense.

Which brings me to my main point. The fact is, our offense, despite poor play calling in the run game, did enough to win that game. It was our defense that lost that game for us. Period. Not the offense. Not Frost. Chinander's defense was beyond wretched against a team that last year had one of the worst offenses in P5 football. Now, they might be better this year than last, but my gut says the rest of the season will show us that their offense is not that much improved to explain what we all saw last Saturday.

Everybody gave Chinander props last year for fielding a stingier defense than what we have seen around here in a while. But that is not saying much and last year's defense still had huge issues with getting off the field on third down and which gave up TD drives to the opposing team at the most inopportune moments when you really needed them to rise to the occasion and make a stop. Remember the opening drive by Illinois to start the second half? Or how about the entire freaking first half against Minnesota which was a total embarrassment? And this year's defense looks like a version of Cosgrove's 2007 defense or Diaco's defense in 2017. Weak. Under conditioned. Poor fundamentals and technique. Bad schemes. Confusion.

Had our defense played better then our offense would have gotten more touches and would have had better field position. How many of our drives started inside our ten because our defense let NW get enough first downs to punt from midfield or so? Same problem as last year. Had our defense played better then maybe at the end Thompson would not have been in full "press" mode realizing that the offense needed to score every ****ing time they had the ball since our defense was such a porous sieve.

Chinander is a joke just like his boss. And as we analyze why we lost that game, let's stop focusing on one play -- the onside kick -- and realize that the real reason we lost is that our defensive coordinator is a journeyman hack who has never fielded a really good defense in his entire career.
Lots of truth in your post. He was very conservative early. Northwestern’s O line is legit and Chin had no answer. Their QB was VERY well prepared for what Chin threw at him. We failed to replace the guys who left for the NFL. Domman Daniels CTB etc. brain block on the other DT/DE. We’re screwed without Jurgens at center too.
Right on que, playcalling is in question. That didnt take long.

So, if a play doesn't work, it was a bad call? If we don't run certain plays then it is bad playcalling?

How many toss sweeps (not run much in the spread) did NW run? Or getting Helsinki on the edge? By those standards, their play calling stunk as well.

There are some designed QB runs but many are from a read so the QB has the option. What if we ran 10 outside plays and averaged 2 yards, would that be good or bad playcalling?
There was one read option where Thompson obviously should have kept the ball. He would have run a long ways. It was the kind of opening that Adrian would have housed. It might have been why we came back with Smothers later on that play. Smothers’ speed would have given them fits in the run game.

So because something worked one year it will automatically work another? Is that the logic? Is so, never change the game plan and always just run the same plays no matter what the D is doing.
Cmon, you're a lot smarter than this.

our 2 inside LBs are poor to average by power 5 standards

they get overinflated in their evaluations because of where they hail from - not only by the fanbase but by the LB coach whose connections to the state cloud his judgement

Reactions: tjlSker90
Lots of truth in your post. He was very conservative early. Northwestern’s O line is legit and Chin had no answer. Their QB was VERY well prepared for what Chin threw at him. We failed to replace the guys who left for the NFL. Domman Daniels CTB etc. brain block on the other DT/DE. We’re screwed without Jurgens at center too.

There was one read option where Thompson obviously should have kept the ball. He would have run a long ways. It was the kind of opening that Adrian would have housed. It might have been why we came back with Smothers later on that play. Smothers’ speed would have given them fits in the run game.
At the very minimum dingle, you're gotta at least present the threat, right? Who's to say Logan doesn't stay in for an entire series, NU possibly scores, and the game result is an NU win by 4 points.

Here is hoping that Frost exerts some authority here and insists that we either run Thompson more or we get Smothers in for a series or two to shake things up. We have a real chance to experiment with that in the next two games. At the very least it forces our future opponents to spend practice time on what to do if Smothers comes in.

At the very minimum dingle, you're gotta at least present the threat, right? Who's to say Logan doesn't stay in for an entire series, NU possibly scores, and the game result is an NU win by 4 points.
It’s pretty clear that it isn’t something that Whipple is comfortable with.

Reactions: scarletred
Here is hoping that Frost exerts some authority here and insists that we either run Thompson more or we get Smothers in for a series or two to shake things up. We have a real chance to experiment with that in the next two games. At the very least it forces our future opponents to spend practice time on what to do if Smothers comes in.
The quarterback run game limits the offense

it’s jv shit

hand the ball off and block somebody like real teams do

Reactions: poundth3rock
I don’t think chins defense is built for the big 10, you cant have to slogan bend but don’t break, look at last week’s game the defense did get a few stops but I think only one three and out. So northwestern crosses mid field punts and pins us in side the 5. I’ve just come to the conclusion that this team isn’t designed to play in the big 10 west. And yes the big ten west is like watching the four corner stall in basketball and until we can start winning regularly we need to do just like Wisconsin and Iowa three freaking yards in a cloud of dust and a strong defense

Reactions: RaulJones
I "assume" Thompson has the option to run on the zone read plays. It just doesn't appear he is comfortable doing that. I think it is overblown a bit on all this "future opponents" needing to prepare. As a D you are preparing for what you have seen on film, good and bad, whether it worked or not, they ran that play, they might run it again. They also have shout outs, hey #8 is in the game, then you go back to the plays you already watched and prepared for just like every other play. The change in QB's in itself creates a tendency that is likely not new. The cat is out of the bag for Smothers.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

Yep, that was a missed read for sure. From press reports, the insertion of Smothers was planned so not a reaction. Good D's adjust, maybe get burned once or twice but they adjust just like Iowa did last year.

I don’t think chins defense is built for the big 10, you cant have to slogan bend but don’t break, look at last week’s game the defense did get a few stops but I think only one three and out. So northwestern crosses mid field punts and pins us in side the 5. I’ve just come to the conclusion that this team isn’t designed to play in the big 10 west. And yes the big ten west is like watching the four corner stall in basketball and until we can start winning regularly we need to do just like Wisconsin and Iowa three freaking yards in a cloud of dust and a strong defense
The problem is the zone. Anytime anybody any good needs yards, just throw the ball to the wide open middle of the defense. He is very predictable on what defense NU will run, especially on 3rd and medium/long. Even a hack like Brian Ferentz knew the exact coverage NU would run and they had specific plays designed for those down and distances. They knew exactly how NU would line up and what area would be open.

How many times was a NW receiver catching cold right down the middle? It's a flaw in Chin's approach. As long as their OL protects from out to in, the opponent will own the middle. If NU is not getting any penetration they only have to prevent a sack or pressure from the outside. They probably need to run some twists and gimmicks to try to run into some good plays, cause sitting back has not been effective.

After losing the 6th year seniors from last year, this defense has the look of a Cosgrove defense. You know, holes you can drive a truck through. And I like Eric as a man, but, adjustments is the name of the game in football. Way too many smart coordinators in the BIg Ten and elsewhere to just play same style year to year.

Everybody has seemed to forget Scott's system on D which is what Chins runs, is designed to give up the big play. Big risk, big reward, but it gives up about 30 points per game, which has been about the same year after year. Northwestern scored 31 points.

The offense is supposed to be putting up way more than this. We only put up 28 points because the offense didn't excute a full 4 quarters.

The people that think the D is the problem don't understand the system and what they are being asked to do.

Everybody has seemed to forget Scott's system on D which is what Chins runs, is designed to give up the big play. Big risk, big reward, but it gives up about 30 points per game, which has been about the same year after year. Northwestern scored 31 points.

The offense is supposed to be putting up way more than this. We only put up 28 points because the offense didn't excute a full 4 quarters.

The people that think the D is the problem don't understand the system and what they are being asked to do.
You watch the Chins D from 5 years and compare. This has become an old wives tale.

You watch the Chins D from 5 years and compare. This has become an old wives tale.
What part are you questioning? The D has always averaged around 30 points per game. Could they get better? Yes. I think even Frost said he would like to see it get down to 26 pts per game, but here it has averaged right at about 30. Last week was no exception.

The offense is supposed to be geared to score higher than that, with tempo. Now I understand it has changed to Whipple's offense, but I don't think they have changed the defensive strategy.

I would like to see that change, in fact it made no sense at all to run the high risk / high reward defense all these years when the offense sucked, because you're just giving up way too many points, but so far, we are seeing more of the same.

Those of you blaming the defense are blaming the system more than anything. Do a new system, all for it, but Chins is still running the same D as he was when he got here.

What part are you questioning? The D has always averaged around 30 points per game. Could they get better? Yes. I think even Frost said he would like to see it get down to 26 pts per game, but here it has averaged right at about 30. Last week was no exception.

The offense is supposed to be geared to score higher than that, with tempo. Now I understand it has changed to Whipple's offense, but I don't think they have changed the defensive strategy.

I would like to see that change, in fact it made no sense at all to run the high risk / high reward defense all these years when the offense sucked, because you're just giving up way too many points, but so far, we are seeing more of the same.

Those of you blaming the defense are blaming the system more than anything. Do a new system, all for it, but Chins is still running the same D as he was when he got here.
They shouldn’t give up 31 to Northwestern.

They shouldn’t give up 31 to Northwestern.
Well I find it amusing.. all the retarded people on this board that were so happy we were going to have an attacking defense when Scott Frost came here, and they didn't realize what that actually meant and apparently still don't.

The only thing I question is your comment on play calling for the run game. What should have been called differently. NW D was controlling the LOS and their backers filled quickly. Not to mention.we couldn't move anyone with our OL. There was just no where to run.
option

2018 NU allowed 31.3 ppg NU scored 30.0 ppg
2019 NU allowed 27.8 ppg NU scored 28.0 ppg
2020 NU allowed 29.4 ppg NU scored 23.1 ppg
2021 NU allowed 22.7 ppg NU scored 27.9 ppg

2018 NU allowed 31.3 ppg NU scored 30.0 ppg
2019 NU allowed 27.8 ppg NU scored 28.0 ppg
2020 NU allowed 29.4 ppg NU scored 23.1 ppg
2021 NU allowed 22.7 ppg NU scored 27.9 ppg
Tried to separate numbers a bit, but when I edited there was no change.

I understand perfectly well what Chins defense is designed to do. Been discussed since he got here. I just disagree with the philosophy.

Well I find it amusing.. all the retarded people on this board that were so happy we were going to have an attacking defense when Scott Frost came here, and they didn't realize what that actually meant and apparently still don't.
If you don’t have the athletes to put pressure on the QB — and we apparently don’t — then an attacking defense is just an invitation for disaster.

“In this day and age of the way your offensive football is going, the way to win games on defense is sacks, plus turnovers, minus explosive plays,” said Chinander. “We have to be aggressive, we have to take some chances.”

Conf Rank (conf only stats)

Turnovers forced
2020 - 12th
2021 - 12th

Sacks
2020 - 9th
2021 - 12th

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
Gf
“In this day and age of the way your offensive football is going, the way to win games on defense is sacks, plus turnovers, minus explosive plays,” said Chinander. “We have to be aggressive, we have to take some chances.”

Conf Rank (conf only stats)

Turnovers forced
2020 - 12th
2021 - 12th

Sacks
2020 - 9th
2021 - 12th
Chinander is all talk. His defenses have always given up a lot of points and for some reason he rarely wants to put pressure on the QB. Unless we see a miraculous change during this season, he needs to go too.

Gf

Chinander is all talk. His defenses have always given up a lot of points and for some reason he rarely wants to put pressure on the QB. Unless we see a miraculous change during this season, he needs to go too.
Unless things change, they’ll all go by the end of the season.

Let's play catch defense. Same coverages, same spill run defense with slow unathletic LBs and 2 blitzes that never get home.

So explain the logic behind your question. It worked last year.

If something worked last year and it worked in the few times you tried it this year, then you may want to keep trying it. Like I said, you're smarter than this. You just decided you wanted to argue.

If something worked last year and it worked in the few times you tried it this year, then you may want to keep trying it. Like I said, you're smarter than this. You just decided you wanted to argue.
I am smarter than that, it was a simplistic statement. I called plays at the HS level, you can kill them with a play the entire first half and not get a yard the second with the same call. It's like saying, last year we passed for 300 yards so the must mean we can pass for 300 this year.

There are so many variables to play calling, what did the coach send in, what did the QB see and adjust to, what did the QB change to based on what he saw, what did the D change pre snap to cause OL call changes among a few. I understand stretching the field laterally but there are many ways to do, reverse, QB option read, toss, and more. Watch the games today and you see very little lateral game because of the speed of the D. Teams tend to go between tackles take it outside rather than racing to the boundary. You can also accomplish the stretch with the passing game which it appears to me is what Whips is doing.

I always ask what a good play call is and never get an answer. I assume kne that doesn't get 4 years. Then I want to know why? Bad call change, poor blocking, RB miss reads? Second question I have is what is an outside run? Outside the tackles?

Sorry, but just saying we need to do something because we did it before or it worked in the past seems less than adequate. Oh, and we need a FB again, sure it could work and if it really did work well, just a wild guess some coaches would be doing it but they aren't. We have glory years of idolizing our FBs at Nebraska so they are naturally are gold. Thr pros hardly use a FB anymore.

You can't win football games if the defense can't stop anything.

Loss is on Chin and D coaching staff.

We've had some pretty poor defenses over the years - but at all levels, this defense doesn't do anything well. I'm amazed we can be this bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT