ADVERTISEMENT

Chinander’s comments

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
Chins seems pretty optimistic about DL and DB.
It was good to hear him mention Henrich and Reimer ready to push the senior ILB’s. Greene and Mauga are unknown, but could make their case for playing time.

His take was that OLB is still the biggest question mark, saying Dawson has his work cut out for him.

I heard that he was hopeful the new comers were going to step in and play at the level of the twins last year. I'd love to see it, but I have my doubts.

I am lost. What twins are we talking about? The Davis twins played d-tackle/end. They were ok/pretty good. What twins were in the secondary? The Jackson/Bootle/Lee twins? The Demuke/Williams twins? I am lost.
Twins need to be replaced on the line. Chin feels like the newcomers can come in and we don’t miss too much.

I think they were serviceable at NU, but never really made a huge impact. A lot of the NFL Draft is driven on speculation based on your numbers and the potential it brings. The Davis Twins are freak athletes for their size, but that never seemed to translate at NU. They were highly inconsistent. You can attribute that to a lot of things as they went through a lot in terms of coaching, but I thought they would be much better and more consistent.

Chins always sounds positive (which is a good trait) so I would take his language with a grain and salt. There's a huge mystery as to how our d-line and linebackers are going to perform. If they don't step up, we'll continue to see the same product as the past two years.
a consistently improving product?

Reactions: Red I 73
Chins always sounds positive (which is a good trait) so I would take his language with a grain and salt. There's a huge mystery as to how our d-line and linebackers are going to perform. If they don't step up, we'll continue to see the same product as the past two years.
I’m with you, I’ll wait and see what shows up on the field. Frost and co have little to be proud of in two seasons at Nebraska. Both those seasons were preceded with big talk and optimism from all phases - O, D, ST , and S&C, only to watch our kids get abused many times. So, it’s nice that Chins is giddy. We shall see...

I think they were serviceable at NU, but never really made a huge impact. A lot of the NFL Draft is driven on speculation based on your numbers and the potential it brings. The Davis Twins are freak athletes for their size, but that never seemed to translate at NU. They were highly inconsistent. You can attribute that to a lot of things as they went through a lot in terms of coaching, but I thought they would be much better and more consistent.
They were best suited to be 4-3 DTs and they got saddled with the job of being 3-4 jacks of all trades. Including playing well above what's probably their most ideal weight to exploit their athleticism.

Not a fan of Chin..he might know the x's and o's, But he is not a very good coach.They gave up alot of points at ucf and only won alot because there offence was able to score alot.To win in the Big they need to get alot better and nasty mean,like Black Shirt Mean!

Not a fan of Chin..he might know the x's and o's, But he is not a very good coach.They gave up alot of points at ucf and only won alot because there offence was able to score alot.To win in the Big they need to get alot better and nasty mean,like Black Shirt Mean!
Im not fully off of Chin, but I was concerned when Frost brought him along that his Ds gave up to many points to have success in the BIG10. So far that seems to be the case. I think this year will be very telling. If the D struggles to hold teams under 30 again he needs to go. We have had 15 games the last 2 years where we gave up 30 or more points. As an example Iowa has had 3. Wisc 6. Mich 5. Penn St 4. Ohio St 5. If we want to compete for the BIG10 or even just the west we have to be in those levels as well.

Im not fully off of Chin, but I was concerned when Frost brought him along that his Ds gave up to many points to have success in the BIG10. So far that seems to be the case. I think this year will be very telling. If the D struggles to hold teams under 30 again he needs to go. We have had 15 games the last 2 years where we gave up 30 or more points. As an example Iowa has had 3. Wisc 6. Mich 5. Penn St 4. Ohio St 5. If we want to compete for the BIG10 or even just the west we have to be in those levels as well.

Cue up the excuses:
1. Its's a complete rebuild - these take at least 4-5 years
2. Moved from a 4-3 to a 3-4
3. 30 in 15 games would have been fine if the O would have just scored one more point
4. It is Frost's plan to play fast and have an aggressive D
5. There is sufficient buy-in from the players yet

Bonus - The S&C was very lacking and they are still playing catch up.

What did I miss?

Edit: I forgot one - we had to let a coach go and we have a new coach at OLB.

Last edited:
Cue up the excuses:
3. 30 in 15 games would have been fine if the O would have just scored one more point

What did I miss?

Yes I know, we Neb fans have been very good at finding excuses the last 20 years. Good coaches and teams win, and win quickly. We haven't had either the last 20 years. Frost needs to starting winning and soon.

I’m with you, I’ll wait and see what shows up on the field. Frost and co have little to be proud of in two seasons at Nebraska. Both those seasons were preceded with big talk and optimism from all phases - O, D, ST , and S&C, only to watch our kids get abused many times. So, it’s nice that Chins is giddy. We shall see...

Agree with this 100% - Time for the excuses to go away

They were very marginal vs. the run and Carlos in particular was often terrible with leverage vs. run support.

I think Kahlil will be able to hang around the league for a while as a situational 4-3 defensive tackle who can collapse the pocket.

Cue up the excuses:

What did I miss?

I’m ok when some excuses are valid and coaches do need time... but one could argue 3 years in the pieces they have on defense are about as good as it’s gonna get “until they win.” The roster won’t get any better by itself going forward.
They have both experience and options on DL and experience at DB and enough experience/options at LB to get the job done. Time for coaches to earn that paycheck.

This year may turn into a cluster, but if there’s any signs Chins can’t get his team ready from a coaching/preparation perspective then I’d be ready to move on.

Reactions: timnsun
Chins seems pretty optimistic about DL and DB.
It was good to hear him mention Henrich and Reimer ready to push the senior ILB’s. Greene and Mauga are unknown, but could make their case for playing time.

His take was that OLB is still the biggest question mark, saying Dawson has his work cut out for him.

I'm much more worried about Chins coaching ability than the players.

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
Agree with this 100% - Time for the excuses to go away
I think some Nebraska fans just assume Frost is safe for the duration of his contract. I don't, nor do I think he should be. As stated most good coaches can get a program going within 3 years. This is my make it or break it year with him. Another losing season and I just don't see him succeeding here no matter how long he is given. IMO, he needs to get to a bowl at the minimum this year. Next year he needs to get to 8 or he should be gone. 4 years to achieve 8 wins shouldn't be that much to ask.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
I think some Nebraska fans just assume Frost is safe for the duration of his contract. I don't, nor do I think he should be. As stated most good coaches can get a program going within 3 years. This is my make it or break it year with him. Another losing season and I just don't see him succeeding here no matter how long he is given. IMO, he needs to get to a bowl at the minimum this year. Next year he needs to get to 8 or he should be gone. 4 years to achieve 8 wins shouldn't be that much to ask.

That POV would be news to his boss.

"We're all a little frustrated I know because of our record, but we're in it for the long haul and building a program, and it's going to take several years," Moos said before the game. "It just made sense to do it now — I was going to do it anyway. And this, I think, is a good piece for some good morale and good energy in our program."

“Coach Frost has shown tremendous leadership in beginning to rebuild our football program. We appreciate that a change of this nature will not happen overnight. We are committed to Scott and the direction he is taking this program.

“Scott is the right coach at the right time for this program. We are excited for the heights to which he will take Nebraska football and the tremendous impact he will have in the development of our student athletes.”

That was six months ago. Certainly doesn't marry up to a "this year is a make or break for me". I believe Rambo or Dingle or someone posted an interview a few months ago where Moos said something about an evaluation after year five but I can't remember.

Last edited:

"We're all a little frustrated I know because of our record, but we're in it for the long haul and building a program, and it's going to take several years," Moos said before the game. "It just made sense to do it now — I was going to do it anyway. And this, I think, is a good piece for some good morale and good energy in our program."

“Coach Frost has shown tremendous leadership in beginning to rebuild our football program. We appreciate that a change of this nature will not happen overnight. We are committed to Scott and the direction he is taking this program.

“Scott is the right coach at the right time for this program. We are excited for the heights to which he will take Nebraska football and the tremendous impact he will have in the development of our student athletes.”

That was six months ago. Certainly doesn't marry up to a "this year is a make or break for me". I believe Rambo or Dingle or someone posted an interview a few months ago where Moos said something about an evaluation after year five but I can't remember.
Five years seems right. If things haven't improved by then, he will likely be gone. And so will Moos if he isn't willing to go along with that.

Reactions: Crazyhole
Agree. However, the funny thing is that the Defense was probably a little better than our Offense was last year.

I don't know about this considering COVID being involved. There are way... WAY to many unknowns to say this is a make it or break it for anyone. We have no idea what the coaches and players are able to even do at this point. Considering we are even questioning if we are even going to have a season, should be enough ground to give a little pass for what happens this year. Hell they may not even play 8 games for all we know?

I don't know about this considering COVID being involved. There are way... WAY to many unknowns to say this is a make it or break it for anyone. We have no idea what the coaches and players are able to even do at this point. Considering we are even questioning if we are even going to have a season, should be enough ground to give a little pass for what happens this year. Hell they may not even play 8 games for all we know?
This is a fair point.

To be fair, most good ADs or bosses in general are not going to talk bad about a coach / employee. They are going to encourage and show support until the very end and they have no choice but to let them go.

he's doing a good job with what he is being asked to do... frost wants to play an aggressive defense, and that style of defense will give up points by design. If you don't like the defensive results, it's more about the scheme being played than the defensive coordinator. Those guys have played hard for coach chins.

I could buy into this is Covid was only in Nebraska. Way too many people willing to give Scott passes for embarrassing football.

he's doing a good job with what he is being asked to do... frost wants to play an aggressive defense, and that style of defense will give up points by design. If you don't like the defensive results, it's more about the scheme being played than the defensive coordinator. Those guys have played hard for coach chins.
Does Frost tell him to never use an effective pass rush scheme?

Last edited:
Luckily Moos will have Scott the time he needs to build a program.. might be 5+ years but it will be no worse than the last 10.. coaching carousel has not worked well.. he needs to be our Ferentz... Now cue the “win now or get the hell out” crowd. That is what got Solich canned which is what started this whole mess...

Reactions: bshirt73 and GILL T
Luckily Moos will have Scott the time he needs to build a program.. might be 5+ years but it will be no worse than the last 10.. coaching carousel has not worked well.. he needs to be our Ferentz... Now cue the “win now or get the hell out” crowd. That is what got Solich canned which is what started this whole mess...
Why do some people think it needs to take 5 years plus, seriously? Why doesn't it take that long to flip a team? Yes I know, the culture was horrible, the previous ADs sucked, MR players were mental head cases, Frost needs his players, yada yada yada. Then you go and look at what Mac Brown has done/ is doing and UNC. You mean to tell me a place like that where football has been an after thought since the beginning of time is able to flip a culture and program around in 1-3 years. But a place like Nebraska it is going to take more than 5. Im not buying it. Good coaches just win, and they do it usually within 3 years.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Why do some people think it needs to take 5 years plus, seriously? Why doesn't it take that long to flip a team? Yes I know, the culture was horrible, the previous ADs sucked, MR players were mental head cases, Frost needs his players, yada yada yada. Then you go and look at what Mac Brown has done/ is doing and UNC. You mean to tell me a place like that where football has been an after thought since the beginning of time is able to flip a culture and program around in 1-3 years. But a place like Nebraska it is going to take more than 5. Im not buying it. Good coaches just win, and they do it usually within 3 years.

You seem to believe that Moos and the other University leadership are just being inauthentic in what they are telling Nebraskans the path forward is. Good luck with that delusion.

Compare the current vibe to Riley, Pelini, and BC near the end and they are nowhere near the same.

I'll go ahead and let you have your obligatory "I have better standards than Moos then" post.

I understand what everyone is saying about the time it should take to turn things around. Record-wise, I just keep thinking about NU’s early days in the Big 10 when it was much easier: Brady Hoke at Michigan, OSU on probation prior to Urban, Penn State on probation, plus the TV money which is the great equalizer with the lesser programs now able to hire top coaches and assistants. This is a really tough league and I think we will continue to see the BIG and SEC separate themselves from the other due to the $.

I understand what everyone is saying about the time it should take to turn things around. Record-wise, I just keep thinking about NU’s early days in the Big 10 when it was much easier: Brady Hoke at Michigan, OSU on probation prior to Urban, Penn State on probation, plus the TV money which is the great equalizer with the lesser programs now able to hire top coaches and assistants. This is a really tough league and I think we will continue to see the BIG and SEC separate themselves from the other due to the $.
OSU and PSU had probation to get over and never suffered a losing season or missed a bowl game (except for their probation penalties). But, I do realize, probation is no where close to the mountain of taking over Nebraska.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT