ADVERTISEMENT

Chase Androff is N

Yeah but Betts is a local Nebraska kid, we should expect and demand to land all our top local talent.

Not getting your ass kicked 7-8 games a YEAR! These kids want to go to places where they WIN more than they LOSE, be in bowl games and be in the hunt for conference titles yearly.

Also that they want to be DEVELOPED into better players than they were in the 10th GRADE with a GOOD shot to be drafted in the NFL if they do what they are taught.

NO MORE gimme's and benefit of the doubt any more. Other schools see blood in the water that's why they circling in the water.

It was time not long ago when you rarely saw out of state schools wasting their time recruiting Nebraska's best talent. The only one they really went after were the ones we overlooked or slow-played...

Not getting your ass kicked 7-8 games a YEAR! These kids want to go to places where they WIN more than they LOSE, be in bowl games and be in the hunt for conference titles yearly.

Also that they want to be DEVELOPED into better players than they were in the 10th GRADE with a GOOD shot to be drafted in the NFL if they do what they are taught.

NO MORE gimme's and benefit of the doubt any more. Other schools see blood in the water that's why they circling in the water.

It was time not long ago when you rarely saw out of state schools wasting their time recruiting Nebraska's best talent. The only one they really went after were the ones we overlooked or slow-played...
I knew someone would take the bait.

Just that he was recruited as an offensive player. It is just easier to move a guy from TE to OT.

I will admit that I don't know if he plays defense in high school, I am sure he does. I don't want this to sound bad, but if a guy is a 3 star TE, is 6-6 230 and plays defense in high school and isn't getting looks to play defense, then I assume he is an offensive player. That is just me.

I don't think people realize the different mindset there is to play defense, especially DLine. You get you ass kicked play after play, double teamed, chip blocked from the TE etc. You have to want to play there. Not everyone wants that.

Do you get your ass kicked when you attack?

I know you know everything about recruiting and football. You talk about recruiting and how that correlates to national championships. No shit. But that's not where Nebraska is.

The coaching staff has had their paws burnt reaching for stars. I think they're just looking for good football players now. Build something and then reach out. I like the approach. Seems like the staff has learned something. I believe development has been talked about. Good job getting that questionable 4* that never played a down. Yea, no.

Reactions: dinglefritz

I know you know everything about recruiting and football. You talk about recruiting and how that correlates to national championships. No shit. But that's not where Nebraska is.

The coaching staff has had their paws burnt reaching for stars. I think they're just looking for good football players now. Build something and then reach out. I like the approach. Seems like the staff has learned something. I believe development has been talked about. Good job getting that questionable 4* that never played a down. Yea, no.
rent free

If hes good enough to recieve an offer from us and commit to us.....he is worth welcoming aboard IMHO
FWIW, I live a mile from South. Like Benhart, great kid from a great family. Good athlete, but is somewhat limited by his top end speed. Nice hands and catch radius, but South really didn't use him except for blocking as they really like to run the ball. My take, with added weight can become a LT because of his footwork. Will need to be developed, but this young man has potential and a great work ethic. Think Benhart light. Keeper.

I have no idea what you are talking about though as I live rent free in your head. I am hearing echoes in the vastness.

So because Nebraska hasn't had luck with some 4 star players, they need to only recruit 3 star players and develop them? That makes zero sense.

What is this the great reset? Sorry guys, we went star hunting for the first 3 years and that hasn't worked out.

Overall prospect or TE? I would say Riley is a distant third behind Woods and Jackson overall. And what makes you think he's headed to Io_a? I wouldn't be surprised, I just hadn't heard that they were the team to beat with him.
Jackson = legit

Woods...let’s just say Nebraska should not worry about “losing” that one.

Reactions: dinglefritz
#5 player in the state of Minnesota. That state looks a lot like Nebraska typically does in terms of overall talent with only 1 4* in its top-10. I could be wrong, but I generally thought there was a little more depth in D1 talent in the state.

That aside, it'll be interesting to see how he develops. It'll also be interesting to see if TE target Austin Terry is in Lincoln for his scheduled visit on June 18. GBR!

rent free
No, I think you're silly. You contradict yourself often. I believe you just like to argue to your own detriment and credibility.

I have no idea what you are talking about though as I live rent free in your head. I am hearing echoes in the vastness.

So because Nebraska hasn't had luck with some 4 star players, they need to only recruit 3 star players and develop them? That makes zero sense.

What is this the great reset? Sorry guys, we went star hunting for the first 3 years and that hasn't worked out.

Did I say anything about not recruiting a 4* player. I don't think I did. You whine about stars, but then they leave in the fall because Nebraska was the fall-back school. But how do you develop a kid in that time frame? You're disingenuous. I think the staff has learned from their mistakes. The big recruits come later, unless we get better bagmen.

So the bold says they've had their paws burnt reaching for stars.
The Red says they're just looking for good football players now. Build something and then reach out.
The Blue says they have learned something, I believe development has been talked about.
The Yellow says good job getting that questionable 4 star that never played a down.

That clearly infers that they are no longer reaching for stars and are going to do something different. I assumed that different was not reaching for stars, considering you sarcasm when you wrote that getting questionable 4 stars that never play a down apparently is not a good strategy. Then you wrote that again they have learned something and now development is being talked about, as if that was a new approach.

Your whole post was downplaying highly rated players. Good try though

So the bold says they've had their paws burnt reaching for stars.
The Red says they're just looking for good football players now. Build something and then reach out.
The Blue says they have learned something, I believe development has been talked about.
The Yellow says good job getting that questionable 4 star that never played a down.

That clearly infers that they are no longer reaching for stars and are going to do something different. I assumed that different was not reaching for stars, considering you sarcasm when you wrote that getting questionable 4 stars that never play a down apparently is not a good strategy. Then you wrote that again they have learned something and now development is being talked about, as if that was a new approach.

Your whole post was downplaying highly rated players. Good try though

Spin, spin, spin. Context is important. You have the last word.

Hoping he sees that NU can hang with the #1 and take em to the brink!!!
I had a dream about a week ago that the Oklahoma game we are all dreading turned into a laugher where our passing game ran circles around Okie in a blowout game. Sorry for the fantasy. It was just a dream. If that actually happened or even a win against them might change some legit recruits minds about Frost's supposed great offense. That is the part of this team that just amazes me on how inept they seem at times. I was the guy many years ago who said the Huskers needed to hire young assistant coach Scott Frost instead of old proven mediocre coach Riley and let him figure it out on the fly. My justification was he would definitely work very hard to do just that. Unfortunately, it seems we are getting that same formula from a guy they are paying a mint to come in like he is Bob Stoops or Urban Meyer. Results on the field would ease my mind a lot.

I had a dream about a week ago that the Oklahoma game we are all dreading turned into a laugher where our passing game ran circles around Okie in a blowout game. Sorry for the fantasy. It was just a dream. If that actually happened or even a win against them might change some legit recruits minds about Frost's supposed great offense. That is the part of this team that just amazes me on how inept they seem at times. I was the guy many years ago who said the Huskers needed to hire young assistant coach Scott Frost instead of old proven mediocre coach Riley and let him figure it out on the fly. My justification was he would definitely work very hard to do just that. Unfortunately, it seems we are getting that same formula from a guy they are paying a mint to come in like he is Bob Stoops or Urban Meyer. Results on the field would ease my mind a lot.
Was this an actual sleep dream, or just another daytime awake fantasy?

I'm sure NU will take all of the blue chip talent it can get to sign an intent letter. But competition for those kids is high. So the program also has to fill out a roster with kids that are less regarded by the services. I know NU likes to run the ball, so a big kid who has already developed good blocking skills as a high school TE would be a kid NU wants on the roster.

Reactions: WHCSC and headcard

Who is to say that this kid won't be a 4 star after a normal senior season of football this fall? I would hate to be the guy trying to evaluate some of these kids right now. The good news is that our roster has a lot of eligibility left so I'm not sure we're in dire need of anything but a QB.

Who is to say that this kid won't be a 4 star after a normal senior season of football this fall? I would hate to be the guy trying to evaluate some of these kids right now. The good news is that our roster has a lot of eligibility left so I'm not sure we're in dire need of anything but a QB.

The difference is that 4* really wants to be in Lincoln. I want 4 and 5*, but they have to stick. Otherwise, it is a waste of time.

There is truth in here, but there was a time that most Omaha kids were Husker fans and dreamed about playing for the Huskers...that may still be true in rural Nebraska, but it’s no longer the case in Omaha. These kids that are now in high school grew up with Nebraska being an afterthought on the national scene.

6'6" 230lbs and he looks skinny. He's going to be a very large human being when he fills out. You have to take kids like this and see what they grow in to. Some of them are going to grow in to college tackles.
Minnesota feels otherwise. When was the last
TE that grew into a tackle??? This staffs recruiting and roster management is quickly becoming a disaster.

Regardless of the star ranking, they have to STOP recruiting injured guys.

I think that has been the rub. We got all this 4 star talent that was injured, and most didn't contribute.

Get the highest stars you can, but just stop with recruiting guys with serious injuries.

TE that grew into a tackle??? This staffs recruiting and roster management is quickly becoming a disaster.
Don't know about this kid specifically at OT, but if he turns out to be a big TE that can run block and catch the ball when open, that would be a plus for NU offensively. As for TEs that transition to OT, that isn't a routine happening, but here's an entire article on just a few B1G examples.

Not to pile on, but if he was told by the staff that his role was going to be similar to that of Vokolek and Allen, moving him to tackle wouldn't be too big of a stretch.

If you go down the list of NFL tackles you will find a fairly large number of them that played TEs in high school. The most notable example of that would be Vikings former left tackle Reilly Reiff. He was a high school TE/DE and we recruited him as a DE. He went to Iowa and they converted him in to a left tackle.

More close to my home, one of my friends has a son who was a skinny TE/DE (6'6" 220) in high school. He wemt tp SDSU and they built him up to a 305lb OT and he started for 2 years. There are damned few kids playing tackle in high school who are athletic enough to play OT in P5 football. You're going to have to develop some. Hell on the other side of the line Adam Carriker was a high school QB. Warren Sapp was a high school TE and LB.

If you go down the list of NFL tackles you will find a fairly large number of them that played TEs in high school. The most notable example of that would be Vikings former left tackle Reilly Reiff. He was a high school TE/DE and we recruited him as a DE. He went to Iowa and they converted him in to a left tackle.

More close to my home, one of my friends has a son who was a skinny TE/DE (6'6" 220) in high school. He wemt tp SDSU and they built him up to a 305lb OT and he started for 2 years. There are damned few kids playing tackle in high school who are athletic enough to play OT in P5 football. You're going to have to develop some. Hell on the other side of the line Adam Carriker was a high school QB. Warren Sapp was a high school TE and LB.
No shit?

ADVERTISEMENT