ADVERTISEMENT

Charleston Classic: Success or Failure?

icedragon

Walk On
Mar 17, 2004
I have been thinking about this for a couple of days now. I have some questions about the Charleston Classic....

1. Was the Charleston Classic a success or failure?
2. Was it to much too soon or just what NU needed?
3. Is Miles making good decisions with scheduling or is he pushing to quickly?

I think the Charleston Classic was a failure 2-1 would have been a success, but 1-2 not a good showing. I think Miles made a mistake in entering this tournament. It was a year to early. I knew when he put it on the schedule. He should have stayed with the Sun bowl classic. Where we stood a chance of winning the whole thing. We need success to build on. I guess I am of the thinking that you don't move up to play tougher competition UNTIL you can beat the guys your are already playing. The CC was an up grade in talent and we were not ready for it and our record showed. If we come in next year to the CC, with a seasoned team, we could win the whole thing. We should have played somewhere else. I think this is the second mistake he has made with the schedule. I thought he should have entered the post season tournament we were offered. I think his ego or his enthusiasm is getting the better of him. He is not make decisions that are in the best interest of the program.

This post was edited on 11/26 3:12 PM by icedragon

Not a mistake. You play better teams to get better otherwise they call it practice.

I liked how they Hung with Umass, I think playing those teams will help Identify real deficiencies early and provide time to correct what's correctable. Better to get a real evaluation early. That's my feeling. If they can come together and realize what they need to do to beat top 25 teams. GBR

Dude..you are the same guy who tried to argue that the NCAA committee does not look at out of conference SOS. I don't think you know much about scheduling.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

DUDE.... , this is not even a sentence, you forgot the OUR "the NCAA committee does not look at out of conference SOS". Hard to put someone down when you can't even spell correctly. Just like you cannot write a proper sentence, you cannot respond properly to a post, neither can you cannot properly grasps another's point. You are still harping on an article I wrote over 1.5 years ago, that you still cannot grasp the point. The only conclusion i can come to is that you are a teenage boy and that you are young and dumb, because no adult man would respond like you do. You just don't have the experience and wisdom to know better. You need to give more thought to your responses and stick to the point. It is what an adult would do.

My sentence is just fine. Not my problem you failed to comprehend it. You don't get rewarded for playing cupcakes. This has been discussed to great depths but it continues to go over your head. Miles has a formula that has proven to be successful and he's sticking to it.

Scheduling[/B]

Has Miles "cracked the code" on how to earn a high Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) number, which is one of the tools of the NCAA selection committee?

"I've been accused of that by SportsIllustrated.com," he said, "and then ESPN picked up on it."

Consider Miles' first season at Nebraska. The Huskers (15-18) were the only team in the country with a losing record to finish in the RPI Top 100.

That's why you see Florida Gulf Coast and the Charleston Classic and a road game against Cincinnati this season, even with more scholarship newcomers (seven) than returnees (five).

"I've talked to some of the members of the selection committee," Miles said. "They say it really matters to us what you do and what you can control. You can't control how good your league is going to be, but you can control who you play in the nonconference.

"That seemed to make sense to me to play good teams. So we have."

Miles' postscript to that: "I'm not going into the Hall of Fame anyway. I don't need a career record that is sparkling."

LINK

Yet, Another childish response. You have failed to grasp that Miles has not proven anything yet. They said the same about Doc and Barry. And look at what happened. I am a show me the money kind of person. Show me the victories, Show me the victories. Success at one level dose not mean success at another level, ask Nick Saben, ask Calipari.

I know all about the rpi and the ken pom "gap." yet when given the oppertunity to play in post season he said "NO" to two different tourneys, not really a wise decision, turn down a oppertunity to play because and i quote "no team from the big 10 has ever played in the CBI/CIT" That is ego.

Originally posted by icedragon :

Yet, Another childish response. You have failed to grasp that Miles has not proven anything yet. They said the same about Doc and Barry. And look at what happened. I am a show me the money kind of person. Show me the victories, Show me the victories. Success at one level dose not mean success at another level, ask Nick Saben, ask Calipari.
Not childish at all...you tried to take this to a personal level when it was you who failed to comprehend the actual sentence. Now that you realize it was you who screwed up you are embarassed and are trying to point the finger back at me. I have "showed you the money" over and over and over again but you are not understanding that out of conference SOS is very important. I've provided numerous of links and I can provide more if you want. I can provide you links on how Tim Miles has more or less cracked the "RPI code." By all means, wait on those wins...if they don't come it's not because Tim Miles failed to get us into the Sun Bowl tournament.

I'm not sure you do as you are questioning a coach who most have stated filled that gab. And how exactly is this an ego problem with Miles when he has played into CBI in the past? If it had to do with ego he would have never ever played in it at CSU right?

I really don't want to, bu since you want to argue of the past, here is the statement that I was refering to about the CBI. It is a fact the we had an oppertunity to play and Miles did not like the Idea. infer what you want from that. Bad decision in my view. He has made some very bad decision since he has taken over the helm. 1. Corey Hilliard. 2 tuning down the CBI, 3. Not giving Coleman a better postion 3. Scheduling the Charleston Classic, with and in experianced team. 4. Think that 1-2 in the CC is good enough. 5. not scheduling for 20 wins.

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0SO8zDlZpZSm0wAGhlXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzMW1uNmZwBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDMwNF8x/SIG=14uaspfr7/EXP=1385617253/**http%3a//journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/hoops-no-postseason-for-husker-men/article_378cdbe6-8f6f-11e2-ad8b-001a4bcf887a.html

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0SO8zDlZpZSm0wAGhlXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzMW1uNmZwBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDMwNF8x/SIG=14uaspfr7/EXP=1385617253/**http%3a//journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/hoops-no-postseason-for-husker-men/article

If you don't think we're in a better position, roster-wise and coaching-wise (see aforementioned roster of players)...I'm not convinced you're a serious observer of the bigger picture.

FWIW, I think the tourney was a good experience. Playing cupcakes prior to playing in a conference with half of its teams in the top 25 is not great preparation. This team needed to have its strengths highlighted and weaknesses exposed as they develop team chemistry.

We played poor defense, had a hundred and fifty fouls against high-scoring UMass and nearly beat them. In years past, we'd have been overlooked and 'surprised them' with gutty defense and lost by 25...something like 55-30.

I'm excited.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I agree our roster is much imporved. I also think the Kenya Hunter pick up offsets the Colemen Mistake and even gives Miles a few points in his favor is Hunter sticks around for a while. My concern is that that there is a need to win NOW. Not next year or the year after that, building the program long term is not the only goal. When we get in to the conference schedule we are going to get hammered, We need as many wins NOW to make sure we will have a winning record and something to build on. What this comes down to is the philosophical approach. We have multipul goals, just the NCAATourney. that is the Long range plan. not the immediate goal. we need wins, that is not negotiable. no win = no postseason.

Yeah, I went through the schedule, and 20 wins will mean winning a few conference games that, prior to the season, I wouldn't have thought possible. If we improve our defense and establish a rotation of guys, I think we will compete better than expected in the Big 10. Will be interested to see what pans out. A scenario of going from where we've been to winning a couple of tourney games is probably premature, I suppose...

He was wrong for dismissing a player for robbery? Nope. Hillard only has himself to blame for that one. Also, not sure what your obsession with 20 wins is but it doesn't mean much if you get there by playing patsies. The only way to find out what you need to work on and where you stand is to play good basketball teams. Also, playing a weak non conference doesn't help us any hen we start big ten play.

icedragon....ask Iowa what playing cupcakes in the OOS did for them with 20 wins last year as far as getting into the NCAA tourney?

Sadler went the route of scheduling cupcakes all year long to try and build wins....how did that do for us?

Miles has a plan in place. Luckily he isn't one of those coaches that thinks he has to win NOW. Does this mean he isn't going to do everything in his power to win? But to look at this roster from an athletic standpoint compared to years past is really amazing considering how little he has been here. And considering only 1 of them is a senior is pretty exciting in my eyes.

I also think this team can still go 9-4 in the OOS which wouldn't be bad considering our schedule has some tough games (UMASS, UAB, Miami, Creighton, Cincy).

This Miami game is a big one tonight for NU.

Do you even check facts??? Hillard was Innocent and not even involved. here is the link It was on Miles He hurt the kid and hurt the team. Maybe that is why he did not kid Biggs off the team. A 2 game suspension that is an approprate punishement. Maybe Miles learned his lesson.
This post was edited on 12/4 4:08 PM by icedragon

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0SO80kkpp9S9XgANipXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzM3I1cDZmBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDMwNF8x/SIG=15davnl8t/EXP=1386223268/**http%3a//journalstar.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/ex-husker-basketball-player-s-robbery-case-di

Korver11 I think you miss my point. Let me clarify. Many people think i nterms of Powerhouses or cupcakes. I don't. I think in terms of classes like Boxing. In boxing there are 17 classes. Heavyweight to minimum wight. We want to be in the Heavy weight class. To make the rest of my point I will use only 8 classes.

1. Heavyweight
2. Crusierweight
3. Light Heavyweight
4. Middle weight
5. Welterweight
6 Light weight
7 Feather weight
8 Fly weight

Nebraska is NOTa Heavy weight, Nor are they a Crusier weight., they Might quallify as Light Heavyweight with a poor record, but is most likely a MiddleWeight or a Welter Weight.

That being the case we need to schedule approprately. Why because we play in a Heavy weight Conference and we will get plenty Heavyweight & crusiers weiths on our Schedule. We don't need to schedule them unnecessarly. We need to schedual Light Heavy weight's, Middle Weights and Welterweigths, With a few from the lower catagories to get the wins. Like it our not the charleston classic was a Crusier weight Tourneyment, it was a good tourneyment, but out of our weight class. we got one win from a tem in the same postion we are in the bottom half of a weaker conference. Not a good sign. all though it will sell tickets. it exposes us for what we are a Middile weight team at best. There is no point in trying to be anything else right now. It will only hurt us. RPI only counts when making a toruney ment. only the top 4 weigth classes get to play post season. While we want to be in the heavyweight division, we must accept the reality that we are not there YET. By the end of the seaon we could be a very good Light Heavy weight team, with a poor record and still make the NIT. But because of the Losses It might take it's toll on our Psycology and motivation. The Schedule is Miles fault. He scheduled a lot of Heavy Weights and Crusier weights and our record will show that. Miami tonight is either a good Light weight team or a bad Crusier weight. It depends on which team shows up.

So Hillard was innocent of stealing a bike? Hmmm yeah, not so much. BTW Hillard is avg a whopping 3 points for the dons. Yeahhhh, Miles really screwed up by cutting him!

Sorry, but Miles is a millions times smarter than you. Especially when it comes to scheduling and really just over basketball knowledge. 1. Our schedule in the non-conference is not all that difficult. 2. Everyone but you appears to know you don't get better by playing a cake schedule...or in your mind a welterweight schedule. Beating Iowa school of the blind in December does nothing for you when you start playing good teams. Our OOC SOS is predicted to be the 204th hardest in the nation yet here you are complaining it's too difficult? Lmao!

hb13, sucking up to miles get you nothing. As far as his intelligence we have about the same IQ and personality. since you can't follow my argument., don't check the facts, want to slander innocent people, don't admit you're wrong, attack people personally, engage in black & white thinking. I suggest you don't post any more. you aren't adding anything to the conversation. There is no value coming from you. just a suggestion.

My arguments are not based on the strength of the schedule to bad you did not get that to begin with. So let me explain what it is based on, it is based on the strength of the team, it's experience, the number wins we can achieve overall and our over all objective to make tourney play and build the brand, NOT ON THE RPI NUMBER. You can get a higher non con RIP, many different ways. NEWSFLASH: It take WINS + RPI to make tournement play, not just RPI, Not just WINS, BOTH

Hey looks we beat the bottom of the ACC, good match up for us. we will see how this team goes and how we do against Creighton, be careful about the Arkansas St team, near the top of the sunbelt could come up and bite you in the rear. Just saying UAB near the top of cusa. could be a trap.

You have the same IQ as Miles? Hahahabaha! Now that's great. Really is. Once again you want to play a very easy non con and every cupcake in the book...what do I do? I refute you that our non- con schedule is ranked in the 200's and it goes right over your head. And then we have come full circle, you talking about getting a bid not even realizing once again the committee does indeed look at your Non con SOS. Just round and round we go. Beating up on a weak team doesn't get your team ready for the Big ten.

Hb13 once again you have shown your lack of intelligence and lack of ability to grasp the concepts I have put forth. It shows a simple mind. You have also not added any value to the conversation. Since you cannot grasp what I am saying they me show you what I am talking about in stead of telling you. Maybe if you have a visual you will get it. there are 12-14 games in the non-con. we will take 13 game as our model. I will show you the Schedule I propose I will use the last 4 years, including this years to show you the schedule I propose.

1. Floridia gulf coast
2. Georgia
3. South Dakota St
4. Hofstra
5. UAB
6. Arkansas St
7. Tulane
8. USC
9. Miami
10. Valpo
11. TCU
12. Rhode Island
13. Creighton

This is the Schedule I propose. This is a Better Schedule then We are playing and does on not hurt us. Notice full of name brand programs, but all winnable match ups, except Creighton

Hb13 once again you have shown your lack of intelligence and lack of ability to grasp the concepts I have put forth. It shows a simple mind. You have also not added any value to the conversation. Since you cannot grasp what I am saying they me show you what I am talking about in stead of telling you. Maybe if you have a visual you will get it. there are 12-14 games in the non-con. we will take 13 game as our model. I will show you the Schedule I propose I will use the last 4 years, including this years to show you the schedule I propose.

1. Floridia gulf coast
2. Georgia
3. South Dakota St
4. Hofstra
5. UAB
6. Arkansas St
7. Tulane
8. USC
9. Miami
10. Valpo
11. TCU
12. Rhode Island
13. Creighton

This is the Schedule I propose. This is a Better Schedule then We are playing and does on not hurt us. Notice full of name brand programs, but all winnable match ups, except Creighton
Please see the bold above....and you want to call into question MY intelligence? That's rich coming from a guy who can barely formulate a sentence.

That schedule you put together is cute...the only problem is...it's not that easy. You just can't call up any given school and say.."Hey, want to play a basketball game?"....Sorry, doesn't work that way. Being that you have the same IQ as Tim Miles I'm shocked you did not know this. But let's play your little game...below is the predicted RPI's of your "proposed" schedule.

1. Floridia gulf coast- 251
2. Georgia- 166
3. South Dakota St- 269
4. Hofstra- 262
5. UAB- 93
6. Arkansas St- 154
7. Tulane- 276
8. USC- 134
9. Miami- 216
10. Valpo- 129
11. TCU- 187
12. Rhode Island- 207
13. Creighton- 40

=Avg RPI 183...
Also, where in the world is those name brands you speak of? I guess I'm not seeing very many unless you are talking football and want to include Miami and USC as name brands.

Now, on to our actual schedule....

1. Florida Gulf Coast- 251
2. Western Illinois- 229
3. South Carolina St- 329
4. Umass- 14
5. UAB- 93
6. Georgia- 166
7. Northern Illinois- 268
8. Miami- 160
9. Creighton- 40
10. Arkansas St- 154
11. Citadel- 340
12. Cinci- 44

= Avg RPI 174....
Wow! Talk about a major difference. Maybe you are right...Miles really screwed up making our schedule so difficult! Our predicted OOC SOS of 177 is just so tough....we should shoot for about 300 next year.

Sorry for bringing actual numbers and facts to the discussion.....as you can see there really is not much of a difference between your "proposed" schedule and our actual schedule. The main difference is Miles actually did schedule some name brands.....and scheduled some games that would benefit us if we were in the discussion to receive a bid.

This post was edited on 12/10 8:09 AM by huskerbaseball13

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT