ADVERTISEMENT

Changes that change our outcome on Saturday?

pahusker139

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2008
The Villages, Florida
Following up on Tuesday 11/12/19 RSS Chat about changes that might make a major impact on the game vs. Wisconsin on Saturday.

I am not predicting an upset but like the idea of discussion about what Husker fans think "might" make a significant difference in the game and make it possible for us to come away with a W.

Sean, thinks having A. M. run often would be significant.

What else...?

NorthgateCaveman said: ↑

If I came from the future and told you with certainty that Nebraska beat Wisconsin this weekend, what would be the most obvious pregame coaching decision that made it possible?

Let Martinez be aggressive and running him hard early.

79 Yesterday at 2:28 PM

Running him hard early is good to a certain extent, but decision making is where he needs to improve. If he is rolled out of the pocket on a pass play and there is 10 yards of green ahead and he needs 4 yards he needs to go get that 4 yards with his feet vs. throwing to a covered receiver where at best there is a 50-50 shot to complete the pass. If the guy is wide open fine, take the shot and it it fails so be it, but the running him early I don't think is the problem, it's him making the correct decisions.

Same thing goes when he is reading the D on the RPO or zone reads. He has struggled with that as well and a lot of times is making the wrong read.

Would playing a 4-3 defense make a difference against Taylor and the run game?

no. We essentially run a 4-3 because ALex Davis is basically a 4-3 end. The only thing that will make the defense a difference maker in this game is an attitude adjustment. They need to WANT to win every play more than the other team. They need to be able to score on some big plays on offense.

Martinez is the key. He has to play better. I think that starts with limiting his options. He played much better when they kept it simple (slow blinker) Basically give him 1 read if it isn't there tell him to take off. I also think if he is struggling the first few series, bench him and go with Vedral or Mccaffrey. He has had plenty of opportunity to turn his play around this year. If he comes out looking the same there is zero benefit to leave him in there. As we know Wisc game is ball control, we are not going to get many opportunities to score so we have to make the ones we do get, count. A struggling Martinez is not going to give us the opportunities we need.

Reactions: Lincoln100 and c3o
Defense
Eliminate big plays from 23... stack the box and get some TFL
Cover Cephys or however you spell his name.

Offense

Block.
Sounds simple but i think we have seen or scheme gets guys wide open even against wisky defense last year.. we just need to block whether its pass blocking or run blocking.
The way they mix up coverage and send exotic blitzes we have to block.. if not AM needs to extend plays avoid sacks and get out of the pocket.. should result in some big plays

My opinion is that A.M. needs to be a true Dual threat QB who moves around in the pocket, outside of the pocket and run even if it is just for a few yards if the pass is not open. We need to have manageable 3rd downs.

Reactions: headcard
Keys to win this game: Point blank, slow Taylor down and win the turnover battle. Our D is going to have to want this more on every single play, not a drive here and there.

As for our offense, Martinez will have to be very smart and not fumble or overthrow wide open receivers. If we do all these things, we can absolutely beat these guys.

My opinion is that A.M. needs to be a true Dual threat QB who moves around in the pocket, outside of the pocket and run even if it is just for a few yards if the pass is not open. We need to have manageable 3rd downs.
Why does it seem Martinez has turned into more of pass 1st run 2nd type of qb this year? Is it the coaches telling him not to run? Is it him just making poor reads? Is he hurt and afraid to take hits? I just don't understand how a kid with so much potential last year has turned into a complete dud this year.

Martinez has struggled with his reads. The blueprint has been put in place on him all year. Mix fronts and disguise coverage and he can't read it.
He needs to show huge improvement in game management.
Win field position and win turnover battle will be huge against this clock burning Wisconsin squad.
Oh and Nebraska's small WRs need to not get mauled by Wisconsin's DBs
Beat coverage and get open, and hope that Adrian steps up his game for a complete game wire to wire
I'm sick of Nebraska being the victim. If this team comes out with the same sorry ass attitude for four quarters, Wisconsin don't give a damn, they'll roll. Bring the fight all game.

Following up on Tuesday 11/12/19 RSS Chat about changes that might make a major impact on the game vs. Wisconsin on Saturday.

I am not predicting an upset but like the idea of discussion about what Husker fans think "might" make a significant difference in the game and make it possible for us to come away with a W.

What else...?

If I came from the future and told you with certainty that Nebraska beat Wisconsin this weekend, what would be the most obvious pregame coaching decision that made it possible?

That's fine. How does the D stop Wisconsin

That's fine. How does the D stop Wisconsin
I don't see anything so far this year or in recent matchups that tells me they do. The offense would need to score and get Wisco into a situation where they feel compelled to throw to keep up in a scoring contest and then grab a crucial pick or two.

I don't see any of that happening. I think Wisonsin's D will live in our backfield like every other decent team has most of the year and the run game will continue to be totally absent.

I have no doubt Scott and the staff can think of a bunch of clever plays that would exploit Wisconsin's defensive tendencies. I don't trust the offense to execute them or to succeed at the set-up plays that make those wrinkles work effectively.

Reactions: huskerfan66
If you came from the future and told me Nebraska beat Wisconsin. It would be because:

On Defense: Nebraska stacked the box to stop the run, manned up on the WR's and Coan couldn't make plays in the passing game.

On Offense: Martinez ran around and made plays on his own. Escaped the pocket and took some shots down filed, made something out of nothing with his feet and ripped off a couple big runs.

I don't see anything so far this year or in recent matchups that tells me they do. The offense would need to score and get Wisco into a situation where they feel compelled to throw to keep up in a scoring contest and then grab a crucial pick or two.

I don't see any of that happening. I think Wisonsin's D will live in our backfield like every other decent team has most of the year and the run game will continue to be totally absent.

I have no doubt Scott and the staff can think of a bunch of clever plays that would exploit Wisconsin's defensive tendencies. I don't trust the offense to execute them or to succeed at the set-up plays that make those wrinkles work effectively.
I would tend to agree. Gotta stop the run effectively. Been absent this year

Wisconsin is careless with the ball and we run Martinez into the ground.

Not sure we can win if we allow a Wiscy to control the clock.

Nebraska uses the whole play clock, no up tempo, run run run.

Wisconsin turns it over and over and over.

Then we strike quickly in the 4th with a deep pass to JD for a 17 to 14 score.

Defense then stops Wisconsin on their final drive to win the game in the final minute.

Victory formation with no bad snap.

Taylor is injured in pregame warm ups.
Nakia Watson is not too shabby either.... next in line when Taylor moves on.

Nebraska needs to run effectively and will need a minimum +3 TOs IMO to stay in this game.

How did Illinois beat 6th ranked Wisconsin? Wisconsin dominated Illinois in total offense, 1st downs, and time of possession (more than 40 minutes!) and still lost….

1. Illinois nearly matched Wisconsin on run yards; and
2 -the key- Illinois scored TDs off of 2 Badger fumbles and a crucial INT to seal the win.

Last edited:

What else...?

There are no changes we can make, it will get ugly early.

Things ain't looking too good with Darian Daniels and Wandale Robinson doubtful. Not that it was looking good anyway. Lol

What else...?

They should just make Marty play running back to thoughin him up

run Martinez hard? the guy who can't take a hit and avoids contact.. sure, good plan

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT