ADVERTISEMENT

Change on Iowa FB Staff

Drinkin Buddy

Nov 5, 2015
There is a change coming on Iowa's staff.

Reese Morgan, a name you probably don't know, is retiring.

At Iowa, he's coached OL, TE and most recently DL. A great all-around teacher to say the least.

He is also a HOF HS coach in the state of Iowa before he joined Iowa's staff 19 years ago.

He recruited Iowa, Nebraska and the Dakotas. Never took a plane - just logged many miles over the road.

Reese coached three Outland Award winners: Chad Hennings (Benton HS, IA / Air Force), Robert Gallery and Brandon Sherff. He also coached a Mackey Award winner (Dallas Clark) and a Groza award winner (Nate Kaeding, Iowa City West HS / Iowa).

More recently, he was responsible for pulling in Noah Fant and TJ Hockenson.

He also found **Chad Greenway playing 8-man ball up in the Dakotas. And **Josie Jewell from NE Iowa. There are countless others who he found and ended up having very productive B1G and NFL careers.

Guys like Reese (69) don't just fall out of trees and worst thing is losing his experienced eye for talent and the technical teaching and personal mentoring he provided.

Iowa lost a heck of a coach today, but Reese's family gained a good man back full-time.

Peace

No. I thought I'd share with my neighbors to the west.

It's the slow season heading into Spring Ball, and I always like to read and share info on the B1G sites so I can see how things are shaping up.

I thought it was more interesting than reading my way-way too early top 25.

:)

Peace
Well, that was very thoughtful of you. ;)

There is nothing wrong with discussing some football on this forum. If it was some doof from another conference telling us about one of their position coaches retiring, I would tell him I didn't care. An Iowa position coach retiring is news especially since they're on our schedule. Nothing wrong with getting educated on the opponent.

However, assistant coaching turnover reminds me of a time when I went to the eye doctor and we were going through the typical eye exam...

Eye Doc: 1 or 2?
Me: Yes

Eye Doc: 1 or 3?

Eye Doc: 2 or 3?

Eye Doc: 1, 2 or 3?
Me: All of them.

Eye Doc: Ya, me too. Your eyes are good.

three-hotties-in-yoga-pants.jpg

He was probably Iowa's best assistant coach. The loss will hurt, but I expect Iowa to still be good along the LOS.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Someone on staff that long is a big loss. He's sure given us fits in more ways than one.

There is nothing wrong with discussing some football on this forum. If it was some doof from another conference telling us about one of their position coaches retiring, I would tell him I didn't care. An Iowa position coach retiring is news especially since they're on our schedule. Nothing wrong with getting educated on the opponent.

However, assistant coaching turnover reminds me of a time when I went to the eye doctor and we were going through the typical eye exam...

Nothing to say.To the top.

There is a change coming on Iowa's staff.

Reese Morgan, a name you probably don't know, is retiring.

At Iowa, he's coached OL, TE and most recently DL. A great all-around teacher to say the least.

He is also a HOF HS coach in the state of Iowa before he joined Iowa's staff 19 years ago.

He recruited Iowa, Nebraska and the Dakotas. Never took a plane - just logged many miles over the road.

Reese coached three Outland Award winners: Chad Hennings (Benton HS, IA / Air Force), Robert Gallery and Brandon Sherff. He also coached a Mackey Award winner (Dallas Clark) and a Groza award winner (Nate Kaeding, Iowa City West HS / Iowa).

More recently, he was responsible for pulling in Noah Fant and TJ Hockenson.

He also found **Chad Greenway playing 8-man ball up in the Dakotas. And **Josie Jewell from NE Iowa. There are countless others who he found and ended up having very productive B1G and NFL careers.

Guys like Reese (69) don't just fall out of trees and worst thing is losing his experienced eye for talent and the technical teaching and personal mentoring he provided.

Iowa lost a heck of a coach today, but Reese's family gained a good man back full-time.

Peace
Always nice to have those types of coaches on a staff, Iowa will miss him more than what we all think.

Best wishes to the coach!

What a difference. If a Nebraska thread like this was posted on the Iowa board, it would be met with name calling, rude comment, and alot of spitting. GBR

Best wishes to the coach!

What a difference. If a Nebraska thread like this was posted on the Iowa board, it would be met with name calling, rude comment, and alot of spitting. GBR

I was going to say the exact same thing. It would have been a lot worse then we see with this one here. To top it off with the name calling, rude comments and a lot of spitting with Insults, Iowa fans ranting and raving how bad Huskers are when we had Mike Riley and how they managed to kick us while we were down while forgetting how Bo Pelini and Huskers owned them right before Riley came to town. There wouldn’t have been one decent comment in the thread. It’s fun seeing the obsession Iowa fans have with us...heck look at this post. ;)

Always nice to have those types of coaches on a staff, Iowa will miss him more than what we all think.

I didn't know the coach, but I love the story. Successful HS coach rises up to the Big D-I school. Sticks to what he knows, recruits locally, and uncovers numerous gems. I know that some of the best coaches in the nation are still at the HS level. It's just circumstances like career path & lack of networking, setting down roots in an area and not wanting to live the nomadic life of a college coach, etc. that keep them at the HS level.

Coach Morgan also led Iowa City West HS to prominence in the 1990s before moving down Melrose to the university. Long-time high school coach who didn't start coaching in college until he was nearly 50 years old.

Kind of the same career as Milt Tenopir. And almost as successful (no national championships).

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
Iowa has won 5 of the last 6. If the roles were reversed, would Nebraska fans be any better? Personally, as a Nebraska fan I would prefer we prove something again before we talk about obsessive fans. Razzing another fan base is one thing but I try to keep things in perspective.

I would prefer we have the coaching stability Iowa has had. Hell, Stille said the other day he's on this 3rd position coach. Same with LBs and the DBs are on their 4th coach. That's tough on those kids.

Iowa has won 5 of the last 6. If the roles were reversed, would Nebraska fans be any better? Personally, as a Nebraska fan I would prefer we prove something again before we talk about obsessive fans. Razzing another fan base is one thing but I try to keep things in perspective.

I would prefer we have the coaching stability Iowa has had. Hell, Stille said the other day he's on this 3rd position coach. Same with LBs and the DBs are on their 4th coach. That's tough on those kids.
I agree with this for the most part, except that message board Iowa fan was as bad or worse when Nebraska owned Iowa football, which until 2015 was the reality. They’ve earned everything they get.

Reactions: SOHusker11
He was probably Iowa's best assistant coach. The loss will hurt, but I expect Iowa to still be good along the LOS.
maybe but i believe Phil parker is a notch above. Where he excelled was digging out players who with some development would shine

maybe but i believe Phil parker is a notch above. Where he excelled was digging out players who with some development would shine

Phil Parker has almost exclusively focused on defensive backs, especially since he took the DC role - and has had some great ones come in, develop, and go on to solid NFL careers.

Reese had successfully recruited OL, DL, TE, and LBs, and he coached OL, DL, and TE. His versatility is something that Parker can't match.

But, Phil is a critical coach. Just like Chris Doyle is. Reese was the third leg of the stool, and we're going to find out how wobbly that stool is going to be heading into this season.

Peace

PS. 3 of the 6 Iowa verbals for 2020 were recruited by Reese.

No doubt this retirement is going to hurt tremendously but it is what it is, you can only hope the replacement knows how high the bar has been set and HC KF along with Phil Parker set the expectations and monitor the performance.

Phil Parker has almost exclusively focused on defensive backs, especially since he took the DC role - and has had some great ones come in, develop, and go on to solid NFL careers.

Reese had successfully recruited OL, DL, TE, and LBs, and he coached OL, DL, and TE. His versatility is something that Parker can't match.

But, Phil is a critical coach. Just like Chris Doyle is. Reese was the third leg of the stool, and we're going to find out how wobbly that stool is going to be heading into this season.

Peace

PS. 3 of the 6 Iowa verbals for 2020 were recruited by Reese.

I can see some similarities between the Nebraska and Iowa secondaries. We each return our corners but each have back-ups coming in at the safety position. You guys have Milani and Stone but I don't know much about those dudes but it seems you guys are missing the depth at safety.

As of now, Nebraska's best safety prospect (IMO is Domann) lining up at one of the LB spots because the depth isn't good at LB. That leaves D. Williams at one spot and a lot of guys without much experience to fill in the depth.

I can see some similarities between the Nebraska and Iowa secondaries. We each return our corners but each have back-ups coming in at the safety position. You guys have Milani and Stone but I don't know much about those dudes but it seems you guys are missing the depth at safety.

As of now, Nebraska's best safety prospect (IMO is Domann) lining up at one of the LB spots because the depth isn't good at LB. That leaves D. Williams at one spot and a lot of guys without much experience to fill in the depth.
Agree. And I believe you meant Ojemudia - not Malani(a Trump?!!?). :)

Losing Gervase and Hooker puts a dent in things, and Geno Stone played SS last year and will probably move to the Spur role for 2019 that Hooker played in 2018 (beginning after the Wisconsin game) so we can continue to deploy a 4-5-2 scheme. Names to look for - and these are young players - are Julius Brents, Dallas Craddietth, and DJ Johnson. Riley Moss started quite a few games (injuries and performance) last year as a true frosh, held up nicely, and is in the mix.

We took our lumps last year @ LB with three first-year starters and should see that group improve.

To your point, we have a lot to shore up in the secondary - and DL as well, losing 2.5 starters (I'll count Epenesa as a a quasi starter, based on performance.)

What do you guys have returning at LB and DL?

Peace

Agree. And I believe you meant Ojemudia - not Malani(a Trump?!!?). :)

Losing Gervase and Hooker puts a dent in things, and Geno Stone played SS last year and will probably move to the Spur role for 2019 that Hooker played in 2018 (beginning after the Wisconsin game) so we can continue to deploy a 4-5-2 scheme. Names to look for - and these are young players - are Julius Brents, Dallas Craddietth, and DJ Johnson. Riley Moss started quite a few games (injuries and performance) last year as a true frosh, held up nicely, and is in the mix.

We took our lumps last year @ LB with three first-year starters and should see that group improve.

To your point, we have a lot to shore up in the secondary - and DL as well, losing 2.5 starters (I'll count Epenesa as a a quasi starter, based on performance.)

What do you guys have returning at LB and DL?

Peace

Ojemudia, DJ Johnson, Julius Brents are the leaders for Hooker's position. DB isn't a big concern. DE is a bit of one this season with the loss of Nelson & Hesse. Plug in Epenesa as full time starter & Gholston who made huge strides & they'll be in decent shape.

Reactions: Drinkin Buddy
Coach Morgan is a great coach and great man as well. His experience will definitely be missed.

ADVERTISEMENT