ADVERTISEMENT

% Chance of winning Big Ten West next year?

FWIW, at first glance it appears Nebraska, Purdue & Minnesota may have the easiest schedule vs the East in 2019.

West vs East in 2019:

Nebraska plays OSU, Ind @ Maryland
Iowa plays @ Mich, PSU, Rutgers
Wisconsin plays Mich, MSU @ OSU
NW plays MSU, PSU @ Ind
Purdue plays @ PSU, Mary, Ind
Minn plays @ Rutgers, Mary, PSU

PSU can't play four West teams next year.

Catch50 is the idiot that thinks frosts offense can never work in the B1G. Just ignore him. Clearly he is ignoring the obvious results from this year. Year one. With freshman in key roles.

Correction. I say it can't win the Big 10. Obvious results this year? Tell me what tackles Nebraska has (including 2019 recruits who are going beat the Joey Bosa's, Rashan Gary's and Chase Winovich's enough to win. Even Iowa DE's. Idiot.

I've seen it before. The law of averages will catch up with this offense. Not in a good way.

So your estimate is based on what again? I’ve seen pret
FWIW, at first glance it appears Nebraska, Purdue & Minnesota may have the easiest schedule vs the East in 2019.

West vs East in 2019:

Nebraska plays OSU, Ind @ Maryland
Iowa plays @ Mich, PSU, Rutgers
Wisconsin plays Mich, MSU @ OSU
NW plays MSU, PSU @ Ind
Purdue plays @ PSU, Mary, Ind
Minn plays @ Rutgers, Mary, PSU

This. The West is within better than 2/3 probability. Say, 75%. Iowa and NW will be the competition, and we can beat both. Defense will improve as they have during the year and the O will be awesome. Should be fun to watch!

So your estimate is based on what again? I’ve seen pret

This. The West is within better than 2/3 probability. Say, 75%. Iowa and NW will be the competition, and we can beat both. Defense will improve as they have during the year and the O will be awesome. Should be fun to watch!

AM was under pressure all season long. I don't know what you were seeing.

There are a lot of people who watch a lot of football. That doesn’t mean they know jackshit

I see the same failures and mistakes over and over. That is how to start solving a problem.
I also see success. Iowa and Wisconsin do it with smash mouth football. Ohio State is the only team in the Big 10 who can recruit well enough to win with a spread offense. But even they running the ball well.

I see the same failures and mistakes over and over. That is how to start solving a problem.
I also see success. Iowa and Wisconsin do it with smash mouth football. Ohio State is the only team in the Big 10 who can recruit well enough to win with a spread offense. But even they running the ball well.
Penn State runs a spread offense. They still in the big ten?

Correction. I say it can't win the Big 10. Obvious results this year? Tell me what tackles Nebraska has (including 2019 recruits who are going beat the Joey Bosa's, Rashan Gary's and Chase Winovich's enough to win. Even Iowa DE's. Idiot.

Benhart says hello...

Beyond that, we had a ton of success this year with freshmen in key positions. We gave some good defenses fits. You have no idea what you’re talking about.

Benhart says hello...

Beyond that, we had a ton of success this year with freshmen in key positions. We gave some good defenses fits. You have no idea what you’re talking about.

The only 6'8 or taller Tackle who ever worth a damn was Tony Boselli. I would never draft a tackle taller than 6'6.

Benhart says hello...

Good Defenses such as Minnesota, Bethune-Cookman? Forgive me if my spider sense does not give me a good feeling about Nebraska winning Big 10 Championships.

Good Defenses such as Minnesota, Bethune-Cookman? Forgive me if my spider sense does not give me a good feeling about Nebraska winning Big 10 Championships.

Spider sense? Most have a different set of terminology for your insight.

I suggest you look at a map. Be even they can't recruit like OSU.

But enjoy your spread offense.
Don’t need a map to understand that it is a very effective offense with great concept. You need a fullback to be happy? Good lord man, wake up

There should be no games next year where NU is a decided underdog. Hardest B1G teams are at home. If the D can win on third down more often NU can beat any on the schedule.

Don’t need a map to understand that it is a very effective offense with great concept. You need a fullback to be happy? Good lord man, wake up

A fullback would be nice.

Let's end this right here.

I welcome you rubbing it in my face if SF wins the West next year.

And I'll say, "Thank you sir. May I have another?"

Last edited:
6-6 with this schedule is hardly improvement. Again, do you believe in Frost or not? If you do, then start showing it, because 6-6 with that schedule is not showing any faith in him. 6-6 next year and the national media starts portraying Frost as a failure. No, we must do better than 6-6 next year, or things start getting pretty dicey. Do you believe in him or not? It is time for people to start showing their faith, or admitting openly that they don't believe in him and think we made a mistake in hiring him.
I’m completely on board with Scott & Company—we have the right coach. While I don’t think Chinander is the best D Coordinator right now, he needs a lot of really good football players and that will take a few years of recruiting/development. I don’t think we should expect miracles. I’m saying 6-6 conservatively, maybe 7-5, but we have to give these guys some time—they’ll get us there. GBR.

%25 percent maybe and that may be high. Defense and depth needs to make major improvements and that will be hard in year 2 for SF. Also, we need a much better DC.

well at least the conversation isn't all sunshine and rainbows, but I'm on the 2020 train for actual hardware in the case - still need to back-fill from graduation and add quality depth, especially if the coaches won't change or add packages to help what they have in place player wise.....the majority of players will require two years of training & table to win in the B1G.

I’m bitter as hell about being 4-8 again. I’m also bitter as hell about how NU’s defense looks so helpless so often.

However, I’m also optimistic about how NU improved the 2nd half of the season. I kept waiting for NU to implode against OSU, Iowa, and MSU - because God knows the opportunity was there to collapse in all 3 of those games. Instead, NU put themselves in position to win all 3 of those games. In one they got the key stop. The others they did not.

That should carry over into off-season training , and NU will be better positioned to make the plays they’re just missing on.

That said, NU’s schedule is the most favorable they’ve had since joining the B1G - and we’ve all seen how schedule influences who wins the West. I think odds are 75% or better that NU wins the West.

Just think how many SRs we had too. We have a bunch of 3* backing them up. No depth or talent. AM, Washington, and Spielman will never last.

I’m completely on board with Scott & Company—we have the right coach. While I don’t think Chinander is the best D Coordinator right now, he needs a lot of really good football players and that will take a few years of recruiting/development. I don’t think we should expect miracles. I’m saying 6-6 conservatively, maybe 7-5, but we have to give these guys some time—they’ll get us there. GBR.
I understand not expecting miracles, but we should also expect to do better than the bare minimum standard of success. 6-6 with next year's schedule would be a disappointment at best. A young coach who was the hottest prospect when he was hired needs to do better than 6-6 in his second season. I don't think seeing 8 wins at least next year would be expecting miracles.

Reactions: jlb321
Reading these threads were either light years away from being good or it's just around the corner. I will always stay with what's tried and true for Nebraska and the Big 10. Run ball , stop run. Who know when we will figure that out again. I think it will come down to beating Iowa and Wisconsin next season. I just don't know where we get a defensive line, 25 % chance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT