ADVERTISEMENT

% Chance of winning Big Ten West next year?

West was really weak this year. Don’t know if it gets any better next year. We get Indiana and Maryland next year. Weak.

I’m bitter as hell about being 4-8 again. I’m also bitter as hell about how NU’s defense looks so helpless so often.

However, I’m also optimistic about how NU improved the 2nd half of the season. I kept waiting for NU to implode against OSU, Iowa, and MSU - because God knows the opportunity was there to collapse in all 3 of those games. Instead, NU put themselves in position to win all 3 of those games. In one they got the key stop. The others they did not.

That should carry over into off-season training , and NU will be better positioned to make the plays they’re just missing on.

That said, NU’s schedule is the most favorable they’ve had since joining the B1G - and we’ve all seen how schedule influences who wins the West. I think odds are 75% or better that NU wins the West.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Right now, I’ll say 35% and that’s being generous. If we can improve substantially at stoping the run, creating turnovers, and continue to develop our receivers then I’ll bump it up to 70%. We still have Wisky and Iowa who make it a career day at rushing when they play us.

I’m bitter as hell about being 4-8 again. I’m also bitter as hell about how NU’s defense looks so helpless so often.

However, I’m also optimistic about how NU improved the 2nd half of the season. I kept waiting for NU to implode against OSU, Iowa, and MSU - because God knows the opportunity was there to collapse in all 3 of those games. Instead, NU put themselves in position to win all 3 of those games. In one they got the key stop. The others they did not.

That should carry over into off-season training , and NU will be better positioned to make the plays they’re just missing on.

That said, NU’s schedule is the most favorable they’ve had since joining the B1G - and we’ve all seen how schedule influences who wins the West. I think odds are 75% or better that NU wins the West.
I don't think I can go that far-75% is awful high. But I would like to see some acknowledgment by the negativists that our schedule is much more favorable next year. We heard a lot before this season about how incredibly tough our schedule was this year and why we shouldn't expect much. Well, it's pretty clear our schedule is more favorable next year, so shouldn't that, plus an improving team, make a difference?

I would say 75% is reasonable. Schedule is favorable.. Brohm is gone, NW QB graduates, Iowa is Iowa, I think

Reactions: Bold Words
20%

If I’d use the Phil Steele method for finding the next hot team, I’d make it higher, as he uses games lost within a touchdown as a win the next year in many cases.
Using that calculus, NU would have nine wins in 2019

You can throw out Illinois and Minnesota - that leaves 5 other teams that I think we can say are all pretty average - so about 20% give or take

I say improvement but still a few years from contending. 6-6 and a bowl game.
6-6 with this schedule is hardly improvement. Again, do you believe in Frost or not? If you do, then start showing it, because 6-6 with that schedule is not showing any faith in him. 6-6 next year and the national media starts portraying Frost as a failure. No, we must do better than 6-6 next year, or things start getting pretty dicey. Do you believe in him or not? It is time for people to start showing their faith, or admitting openly that they don't believe in him and think we made a mistake in hiring him.

Useless poster! 13,283 messages to 243 like's? Ya you're a credible poster...NOT!!!!

I just see failure in the raw. Two consecutive sacks. No TE help.
QB goes down. Backup can't get the job done. All that hard work by the rest of them down the drain.
Ridiculous. Little pass rush. They should have dropped eight.

Stupid coaching? Plenty of it around America.

I just see failure in the raw. Two consecutive sacks. No TE help.
QB goes down. Backup can't get the job done. All that hard work by the rest of them down the drain.
Ridiculous. Little pass rush. They should have dropped eight.

Stupid coaching? Plenty of it around America.

Did you happen to catch mo Washington catching passed out of the backfield today? Think about that, it is a great chance to enhance your football knowledge.

Our schedule is favorable for once. If Martinez stays healthy we will have a shot.
FWIW, at first glance it appears Nebraska, Purdue & Minnesota may have the easiest schedule vs the East in 2019.

West vs East in 2019:

Nebraska plays OSU, Ind @ Maryland
Iowa plays @ Mich, PSU, Rutgers
Wisconsin plays Mich, MSU @ OSU
NW plays MSU, OSU @ Ind
Purdue plays @ PSU, Mary, Ind
Minn plays @ Rutgers, Mary, PSU

Last edited:
20 to 25% seems about right. The only way we win is if we have a turnaround in our ability to win close games. We went 1-5 in games decided by one possession. We also lost 5 games where we scored at least 28 points. That shouldn't happen in an offensively inept league like the BIG10. Games where we score 28-31 seems to leave us vulnerable because they go down to the wire.

Until the offense can consistently put up over 40 and can just run and hide from other teams, I don't like our chances. In any games that the difference between us winning and losing is one defensive stop in crunch time, I doubt we win more than half of those types of games. This year is about as bad as you could do at 1-5 and we got an assist from the weather in the one we won.

Northwestern went 4-1 in league games decided by one score and won the west. For us to win the league, we have to have a record similar to that in close games.

7-5 or 8-4 is probable next year. I'd say right around 30% chance wr win the west.

Did you happen to catch mo Washington catching passed out of the backfield today? Think about that, it is a great chance to enhance your football knowledge.

Yes I did. I also caught losses to NW and Purdue. Blowouts to Michigan and Wisky. A 4-8 season and no studs on either line on the roster or the pipeline. Now a bunch of these teams will have an extra 3-4 weeks of bowl practice while our top guys can only have another 5 - 10 lbs at most more to increase on the bench press. Perhaps you think Duval can produce a whole corp of receivers who run a 4.1 forty.

Based on what? Not history. You are coming up with a completely contrived percentage that has no basis in anything except blind pessimism.

I've seen it before. The law of averages will catch up with this offense. Not in a good way.

Yes I did. I also caught losses to NW and Purdue. Blowouts to Michigan and Wisky. A 4-8 season and no studs on either line on the roster or the pipeline. Now a bunch of these teams will have an extra 3-4 weeks of bowl practice while our top guys can only have another 5 - 10 lbs at most more to increase on the bench press. Perhaps you think Duval can produce a whole corp of receivers who run a 4.1 forty.

Is that about protection schemes for you or a reason to bitch?

Catch50 is the idiot that thinks frosts offense can never work in the B1G. Just ignore him. Clearly he is ignoring the obvious results from this year. Year one. With freshman in key roles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT