ADVERTISEMENT

Century Link attendance vs the other Regionals?

huskerbux

Recruiting Coordinator
Aug 24, 2006
Omaha
Anyone know how we stacked up to day one numbers? From the games I watched all over, it appeared we were head and shoulders above most in the morning games.....might be my rose colored glasses though.

I did not watch the day session, but game 1 last night looked weak. I didn't see the late game because we went to the baseball game. I am guessing it filled in nicely.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The hard part about judging based on what you see on TV, is the team's allotment is behind team benches. So in Game 1, but empty sections behind the bench were the team's allotment who played in game 2.

Originally posted by 4.6.3:
I did not watch the day session, but game 1 last night looked weak. I didn't see the late game because we went to the baseball game. I am guessing it filled in nicely.
Was at the first session tons of KU and WSU fans attendance was 16,907 at night at first it looked like people didn't make it in till a little later due to the 5:50 start but ended up with 17,534 during the time Wisconsin played.

This post was edited on 3/21 11:08 AM by scarletred

Session 1 had 16,907. Session 2 had 17,534. Numbers taken from respective schools box score or recap of games.

Not sure on others, but Portland had under 28,000 total for their sessions.

Strictly judging from TV, it seems like fans in Omaha do a better job of showing up for games in which their primary team is not playing. One of the bad things about the "pod" system that went into effect a few years ago is that all 8 teams at a location are no longer from the same regional, so fans are not as inclined to attend games to see who their team will play in the next round or two. It's always frustrating to see huge blocks of empty seats near the court, when the only tickets available to other fans are in the rafters.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
Session 1 had 16,907. Session 2 had 17,534. Numbers taken from respective schools box score or recap of games.

Not sure on others, but Portland had under 28,000 total for their sessions.
Attendance is a large reason why Omaha is getting a Sweet 16/Elite 8 in 2018 (??). The other three cities that year are: LA, Atlanta, and Boston. Omaha kinda sticks out in that crowd, but it shows that if a city supports events, they will be rewarded with events that otherwise seem destined for larger (and frankly, better) cities.

The Sweet 16 should be the biggest thing ever in Omaha. The Capitol District project should be completed with the new high rise Marriot and Office towers.

A high-rise Marriott? I remember when Daub gave the green light on that during his last few days in office and then Landow came in and vetoed it and went with the smaller Hilton instead.

That would have been Fahey who vetoed it (probably on the advice of Landow), and it was one of the dumbest moves in that entire development down there. The original plan was for the Marriott to be built in the same location as the Hilton currently occupies and be somewhere around 30 floors, a defining building on our skyline but alas it was canned. Instead we get a 4 story butt ugly building next to a shiny convention center/arena.

Now we have the "Capitol District" with another Marriott planned this time though only about 15 stories.

I read that Omaha placed third in overall attendance with 52,654, behind Louisville (64,684) and Columbus (55,116).

Not too shabby.

Once again, Omaha proves it is a premier event city. It is a lot of work to host a 2nd and 3rd round opening weekend. Props to all involved. Very well done.

Originally posted by chicolby:
I read that Omaha placed third in overall attendance with 52,654, behind Louisville (64,684) and Columbus (55,116).

Not too shabby.
Considering UK played in Louisville and Dayton played in Columbus, Omaha did the best job of all the sites with no local team.

Originally posted by Aksarben:
That would have been Fahey who vetoed it (probably on the advice of Landow), and it was one of the dumbest moves in that entire development down there. The original plan was for the Marriott to be built in the same location as the Hilton currently occupies and be somewhere around 30 floors, a defining building on our skyline but alas it was canned. Instead we get a 4 story butt ugly building next to a shiny convention center/arena.

Now we have the "Capitol District" with another Marriott planned this time though only about 15 stories.
Would have been the 3rd tallest building in Omaha. It was Fahey/Landon who axed it (and then built a baseball stadium nearby with the bases laid out completely wrong for outdoor baseball).

In their defense, the city was at a bigger risk if a larger hotel would have been built, but in seeing all the others that have been built since, I sure wish the original High Rise plan would have happened.

Not too shabby.
Thanks. Not too shabby at all!

Fahey never did a single thing unless Landow told him to do it. It was an idiotic move because anchor hotel space is the primary driver for booking conventions and moving to the smaller Hilton ensured that larger conventions would never seriously consider Omaha.

Originally posted by NJ4Neb:

Not too shabby.
Considering UK played in Louisville and Dayton played in Columbus, Omaha did the best job of all the sites with no local team.
Was at the games, great crowds, but you have to consider KU and WSU pretty local.

Originally posted by Charlie Marlow:
A high-rise Marriott? I remember when Daub gave the green light on that during his last few days in office and then Landow came in and vetoed it and went with the smaller Hilton instead.
It is a 2 sq block develpment.Done deal . The picture of the project stands on a large sign at 10th and Capitol.

As for high rise it qualifies in Omaha. Hotel I think like 15 stories on 10th St with another just smaller. It is being coined as an entertainment district with bars and restaurants between the 2 buildings. A Moylan project. We will have to wait and see.

Originally posted by 4norsemen:

It is a 2 sq block develpment.Done deal . The picture of the project stands on a large sign at 10th and Capitol.

As for high rise it qualifies in Omaha. Hotel I think like 15 stories on 10th St with another just smaller. It is being coined as an entertainment district with bars and restaurants between the 2 buildings. A Moylan project. We will have to wait and see.
What is the plan to replace the loss of parking space that these new buildings will absorb? There isn't going to be a parking spot left in Downtown Omaha by the time MECA is finished.

Originally posted by TheNewNU:

What is the plan to replace the loss of parking space that these new buildings will absorb? There isn't going to be a parking spot left in Downtown Omaha by the time MECA is finished.
Ever been to a real city? Open parking lots don't exist in real cities. Once Omaha starts putting buildings on valuable real-estate downtown, people will start to capitalize on the opportunity to build parking structures. Like it or not, downtown Omaha will start to become more metropolitan as it continues to grow, and no more open parking lots is a part of that.

Originally posted by shine003:

Originally posted by TheNewNU:

Ever been to a real city? Open parking lots don't exist in real cities. Once Omaha starts putting buildings on valuable real-estate downtown, people will start to capitalize on the opportunity to build parking structures. Like it or not, downtown Omaha will start to become more metropolitan as it continues to grow, and no more open parking lots is a part of that.
True. Find an open parking lot in any other downtown arena / ballpark. Pittsburg, Cincinnati,etc. Rapid transit gets people to a big city downtown venue. Even Lincoln does not have the disaster of Omaha's acres of concrete parking and thats why it has so much more of an urban feel to PBA. MECA is crazy about parking. It sure as hell has never hurt NU Football.

A case in point is when I lived in the Old Market in the mid eighties their were 90 of us and we could park on the streets in Jobbers Canyon. Now with Jobbers demolished there are 3500 people in the market with hardly any street parking. People adjust.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT