ADVERTISEMENT

Cedric Benson Dead at 36

RIP, One of the reasons I sold my Harley. Too many crazies texting and not paying attention to the road.
sadly bikers are often the cause of their own demise too. I had a guy on a Harley just yesterday make a left turn in front of me with no turn signal. I've had guys go racing past me on either side on a 4 lane with no warning weaving in and out of traffic. Had a guy out byRapid City go by me doing 90mph+ on the interstate doing a sustained wheelie. He vanished out of sight still on one wheel. Drinking and driving is really bad. Drinking AND biking is just insane. IF there's one place you don't want even a millisecond of delayed reaction time , it's on a motorcycle. Riding at night is another stupid idea. Hitting a deer with your car can make a mess of your car. Hitting a deer on your bike usually makes a mess of you. I've known a guy killed by hitting a horse on a county oil at night and another guy who died hitting an Angus cow out by Alliance at night. Bikes even ridden cautiously are just plain dangerous.

Watch out for those bikes, people.

RIP, One of the reasons I sold my Harley. Too many crazies texting and not paying attention to the road.
I find it interesting that almost anytime you read about motorcycle vs car accidents, many people just assume the driver of the car was at fault. Based on a different article, the motorcycle hit the van, not the other way around; and the driver of the van isn't going to be cited. Putting those two things together, I don't think the van was at fault. Still tragic and terrible, but also probably his fault.

with as many people texting and driving as there are, i would not want to be riding a motorcycle.

with as many people texting and driving as there are, i would not want to be riding a motorcycle.
A few years ago, I thought about buying a scooter for my wife to run errands around the neighborhood. I brought it up to my insurance agent and he said the same thing. Too many distracted drivers on the road.

I used to ride and I almost always was going too fast. I had a GS 750 Suzuki, full fairing, crash bars, etc and had a guy do a tune job on it. I picked it up and he said to take it out for a spin to see if it made a difference. I jumped on and started through gears in what I recall as a mostly residential area of G.I. Next thing I know I look down at my speedometer and I was hitting 100 mph in town. That is one of many dumb things I did on bikes.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
sadly bikers are often the cause of their own demise too. I had a guy on a Harley just yesterday make a left turn in front of me with no turn signal. I've had guys go racing past me on either side on a 4 lane with no warning weaving in and out of traffic. Had a guy out byRapid City go by me doing 90mph+ on the interstate doing a sustained wheelie. He vanished out of sight still on one wheel. Drinking and driving is really bad. Drinking AND biking is just insane. IF there's one place you don't want even a millisecond of delayed reaction time , it's on a motorcycle. Riding at night is another stupid idea. Hitting a deer with your car can make a mess of your car. Hitting a deer on your bike usually makes a mess of you. I've known a guy killed by hitting a horse on a county oil at night and another guy who died hitting an Angus cow out by Alliance at night. Bikes even ridden cautiously are just plain dangerous.
Don't want this to be a"dump on bikers" post, but my experience of close calls has been about 50/50 and I might be generous to the bikers. Never had an accident but definitely some close calls with one just this past week. Driver hwy 81 by Geneva. Two bikers in the right lane and I'm in the left lane. One biker right beside me with the other ahead of me by about 10 car lengths. Lead biker signals to come into my lane. No problem. Just assumed a normal lane change. Next thing I know the bike's brake lights come on. There's a turning lane there but for some reason the biker decided not to use it while trying to make a left hand turn on the freeway. I locked my tires up, brand new now probably have flat spots.

Good thing there was no oncoming traffic because if biker had to wait, the individual would have been smoked.

Now, same thing could have been done by a car but getting plowed over while riding a bike would not have been good.

Geeze, that's terrible news, motorcycle or not. He will be missed by all his family and friends. He was a helluva player at Texas.

I find it interesting that almost anytime you read about motorcycle vs car accidents, many people just assume the driver of the car was at fault. Based on a different article, the motorcycle hit the van, not the other way around; and the driver of the van isn't going to be cited. Putting those two things together, I don't think the van was at fault. Still tragic and terrible, but also probably his fault.
I agree. My experience riding it was mostly the crotch rockets doing dumb shit who ended up street meat. But I lost count of how many times I would see a car veering into the other lane while texting going 65 mph.

Benson had a pretty long list of alcohol related and speed related driving incidents in the past. May, or may not, have been factors this time...just sayin

Reactions: RedSea
In this modern day atmosphere of widespread vehicle driver distraction, it's honestly not worth it driving on busy city roads, IMO. Too many are being killed by negligence.

Anymore, not even helmets will save you in these kinds of accidents.

I wonder if he wore a helmet. In Texas it isn't necessary for most riders over 21.

I saw him his high school senior year in the championship game. They kept feeding him the ball, and he wore them down. They couldn't stop him by the end of the game. He was the most dominant RB I've seen in Texas HS football. The combination of the big HS football schools and the way his team just fed him the ball over and over until they won the title. High school football made him the legend. He wasn't that great in college or the pros, just solid to good. But HS he was superman.

Benson had a pretty long list of alcohol related and speed related driving incidents in the past. May, or may not, have been factors this time...just sayin
According to eye witness reports Benson was traveling at a "high rate of speed". The minivan driver was not ticketed.

Giving serious thought to giving up the Harley, as much as I love it. The older I get, the more accidents I see...especially being in health care for a profession. I just am not sure the joy is still worth the risk.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE

Exactly.... I loved my bike when I had it, but I'll never own another one because of all of the morons out there not paying attention.

It is dangerous no doubt. I commuted on the LA freeway probably three workdays a week for 36 years. I have to admit I was getting real nervous before I retired about my number coming up and only drove my car the last three months before retirement.

That being said, if I had to explain to someone why the danger is worth it, I'd be wasting my time. A person either understands or he doesn't. I suppose people who skydive, hang glide, free climb, etc. feel the same way about me thinking they are crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT