ADVERTISEMENT

CB for Fidone.. he and family loves Nebraska!!

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_7b98409e-d9d1-571a-ab5b-9f29f364d11e.html
Tight end Thomas Fidone, Council Bluffs, Iowa

Fidone, a 6-5, 210-pounder at Lewis Central High, is one of the most sought-after prospects in the Midwest. Last week alone, he picked up offers from Georgia and Florida, and already has a host of Big Ten interest.
The four-star prospect has been on campus in Lincoln several times already and is slated to make a return trip.
Brody Brecht, wide receiver, Ankeny, Iowa

Brecht is a big receiver at 6-4 and 190 pounds and has offers from in-state Iowa and Iowa State, along with the Huskers, Kansas and others.
Brecht has been to Lincoln multiple times and is making another trip this weekend. He is a three-star prospect for both 247Sports and Rivals.
Keagan Johnson, athlete, Bellevue West

The most recent in-state prospect to pick up a scholarship offer from Nebraska, Johnson is a good athlete who could potentially play either side of the ball in his college career. He was used primarily at wide receiver as a junior for Michael Huffman’s prolific offense at Bellevue West.

Johnson also has offers from Iowa and Iowa State. His dad, Clester, played at Nebraska; his oldest brother, C.J., was a productive receiver at Wyoming; and his middle brother, Caden, is an FCS All-American at South Dakota State.
NU has one known 2020 official visitor set to come to campus this weekend, wide receiver Kris Abrams-Draine of Spanish Fort, Alabama. Abrams-Draine played quarterback for most of his senior season out of necessity and put up big numbers, helping guide Spanish Fort deep into the postseason despite being new to the position.

He posted impressive figures, rushing for 1,745 yards and throwing for 723, compiling 26 total offensive touchdowns and adding a pair of interception return scores.

Those aren’t likely to be the only players on campus, and lists do tend to change over the course of time leading up to events. A few players currently slated to be on campus Jan. 25 include defensive linemen Jeffrey Bowie (West Branch, Iowa) and Ryan Keeler (La Grange Park, Illinois), athlete Seth Malcom (Tabor, Iowa) and Kearney Catholic quarterback Heinrich Haarberg.

image.png

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_7b98409e-d9d1-571a-ab5b-9f29f364d11e.html
Tight end Thomas Fidone, Council Bluffs, Iowa

Fidone, a 6-5, 210-pounder at Lewis Central High, is one of the most sought-after prospects in the Midwest. Last week alone, he picked up offers from Georgia and Florida, and already has a host of Big Ten interest.
The four-star prospect has been on campus in Lincoln several times already and is slated to make a return trip.
Brody Brecht, wide receiver, Ankeny, Iowa

Brecht is a big receiver at 6-4 and 190 pounds and has offers from in-state Iowa and Iowa State, along with the Huskers, Kansas and others.
Brecht has been to Lincoln multiple times and is making another trip this weekend. He is a three-star prospect for both 247Sports and Rivals.
Keagan Johnson, athlete, Bellevue West

The most recent in-state prospect to pick up a scholarship offer from Nebraska, Johnson is a good athlete who could potentially play either side of the ball in his college career. He was used primarily at wide receiver as a junior for Michael Huffman’s prolific offense at Bellevue West.

Johnson also has offers from Iowa and Iowa State. His dad, Clester, played at Nebraska; his oldest brother, C.J., was a productive receiver at Wyoming; and his middle brother, Caden, is an FCS All-American at South Dakota State.
NU has one known 2020 official visitor set to come to campus this weekend, wide receiver Kris Abrams-Draine of Spanish Fort, Alabama. Abrams-Draine played quarterback for most of his senior season out of necessity and put up big numbers, helping guide Spanish Fort deep into the postseason despite being new to the position.

He posted impressive figures, rushing for 1,745 yards and throwing for 723, compiling 26 total offensive touchdowns and adding a pair of interception return scores.

Those aren’t likely to be the only players on campus, and lists do tend to change over the course of time leading up to events. A few players currently slated to be on campus Jan. 25 include defensive linemen Jeffrey Bowie (West Branch, Iowa) and Ryan Keeler (La Grange Park, Illinois), athlete Seth Malcom (Tabor, Iowa) and Kearney Catholic quarterback Heinrich Haarberg.
Meanwhile we're sliding down to the coldest temps of the winter for the area....

Show them a replay of the Packers game from last Sunday, and have them watch the Chiefs game from this Sunday. Those kids all think they are playing in the NFL in 3-4 years so they better get used to it.
I’ve got a feeling that most of them have no problem playing in freezing conditions - when they’re getting paid to do it.

The amount of weight you guys give to the idea that top football recruits are too p***y to go someplace where it gets cold during the winter is amazing. You know PSU, OSU, and Michigan all have winter right? And they all out-recruit Nebraska?

A lot of kids will probably be excited to see the snow if they haven't really been out of the south.

Show them a replay of the Packers game from last Sunday, and have them watch the Chiefs game from this Sunday. Those kids all think they are playing in the NFL in 3-4 years so they better get used to it.
No need to scare them with playing in icy January in Lincoln. The home season ends in November and the average November weather isn’t terrible.

Reactions: Bauer2119

I always thought this was a BS rationale. 4 or 5 years in college is a long time. If I had my choice, I would be playing in San Diego, LA, or even Hawaii for 5 years instead of cold winters.

How did Oregon utilize the TE when Frost and Lubick were there? Hoping they can land Fidone this weekend with a strong pitch. Getting him N may get tougher as his stock skyrockets.

I always thought this was a BS rationale. 4 or 5 years in college is a long time. If I had my choice, I would be playing in San Diego, LA, or even Hawaii for 5 years instead of cold winters.
It’s a way of combatting negative recruiting as it relates to cold weather. Nothing more, nothing less. If you have hopes of going to the league, you don’t get to choose where you go.

That’s all. It’s not a perfect rebuttal, but it may help someone who is on the fence and unsure of the bad weather...

It’s a way of combatting negative recruiting as it relates to cold weather. Nothing more, nothing less. If you have hopes of going to the league, you don’t get to choose where you go.

That’s all. It’s not a perfect rebuttal, but it may help someone who is on the fence and unsure of the bad weather...
Even if a player gets drafted to a warm climate team, they’ll most likely have to play an opponent on the road during the regular season or playoffs when it’s winter conditions. A player isn’t going to tell his coaches, I’m sorry, I can’t go to New England this weekend for a playoff game because it’s cold & snowy.

Well you're in the minority on that one chief, last time I checked all those places had awful teams and play in front of 25% full Pac12 stadiums. So playing in the BIG 10/SEC football crazed conferences for mostly sold out crowds holds a little more priority with young players...not your retirement mentality.

Reactions: HBK4life
The amount of weight you guys give to the idea that top football recruits are too p***y to go someplace where it gets cold during the winter is amazing. You know PSU, OSU, and Michigan all have winter right? And they all out-recruit Nebraska?

A lot of kids will probably be excited to see the snow if they haven't really been out of the south.
How many cold weather teams have won the national championship in the last 20 years? Ohio State...and are a few hour drive from Louisville...so in proximity to the south. There is no coincidence that the team with the best access to the south happens to be the best team in the big 10...everybody else is picking up scraps. The winters in the north are brutal, especially on people not used to being trapped inside and away from the sun. Nebraska isn't for everybody.

All the talk of bad weather being a factor in recruiting really is a waste of time IMO. First, the weather can't be changed so whether that's a factor or not - it is what it is. Second, you can't generalize about recruits. For some it is a factor and for some it isn't. That we've known for a long time.

So unless you want to discuss putting a dome over Memorial Stadium, there's nothing that can be changed regardless of weather is or should be a factor. It is what it is.

How many cold weather teams have won the national championship in the last 20 years? Ohio State...and are a few hour drive from Louisville...so in proximity to the south. There is no coincidence that the team with the best access to the south happens to be the best team in the big 10...everybody else is picking up scraps. The winters in the north are brutal, especially on people not used to being trapped inside and away from the sun. Nebraska isn't for everybody.

Ohio State has the best access to the south? What map are you looking at? OSU is a recruiting power because they are a blue blood program that has had great coaches. Kids went there to play for Tressel and Meyer, not because of proximity to Louisville. OSU’s recruiting advantage, next to being awesome, is that they are the, or one of the, best football programs near a lot of urban areas. Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburg, Chicago, etc.

Ohio State has the best access to the south? What map are you looking at? OSU is a recruiting power because they are a blue blood program that has had great coaches. Kids went there to play for Tressel and Meyer, not because of proximity to Louisville. OSU’s recruiting advantage, next to being awesome, is that they are the, or one of the, best football programs near a lot of urban areas. Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburg, Chicago, etc.

I’m whiling to bet once Frost starts pulling in 8-10 win seasons we will see Top 10 recruiting classes too. We are seeing Top 15 to Top 18 classes while losing, so I can only imagine how we will do once we start winning. We may never see OSU type levels but we could see Michigan type levels. Being a Blue Blood and winning helps a lot.

Last edited:
Well you're in the minority on that one chief, last time I checked all those places had awful teams and play in front of 25% full Pac12 stadiums. So playing in the BIG 10/SEC football crazed conferences for mostly sold out crowds holds a little more priority with young players...not your retirement mentality.

Uh, no I'm not, chief. People like warm weather better than cold weather. I thought most of us understood this simple concept.

And if you asked any person (old or young) if they would rather live in the weather of California or the weather of the Midwest or the Northeast, only the 10% that like the changes in the seasons would want Midwest/Northeast weather.

Uh, no I'm not, chief. People like warm weather better than cold weather. I thought most of us understood this simple concept.

And if you asked any person (old or young) if they would rather live in the weather of California or the weather of the Midwest or the Northeast, only the 10% that like the changes in the seasons would want Midwest/Northeast weather.

oh you’re correct there. When it comes to that, most people rather be in warm weather. There is no denying that. But players still come from Florida, Cali, Texas and all those warm weather places to play for cold weather teams. You can’t be hung up on playing in warm weather or you will never make it in the NFL and it’s good thing recruits know that.

oh you’re correct there. When it comes to that, most people rather be in warm weather. There is no denying that. But players still come from Florida, Cali, Texas and all those warm weather places to play for cold weather teams. You can’t be hung up on playing in warm weather or you will never make it in the NFL and it’s good thing recruits know that.

Understood. What timmsun said is correct. It's really the only thing we have to combat wanting to go to school in warm weather. As a player, I wouldn't buy it, and would spend 4 or 5 years in great weather, then would go to make bank in the NFL, wherever I had to go. It's far from retirement thinking.

With San Diego being arguably the nicest weather in the US, if I were San Diego St. I would spend whatever it took to hire a great coach with a proven record, like an Urban Meyer, and would use the great weather and Meyer's history to build a dynasty.

Reactions: timnsun
You once again made my point, living some place for decades and playing 3-5 years of football are completely different. This a football board, pretty easy concept to understand. What are you a travel agent?? As you said in your originally comment- San Diego, LA and Hawaii...those are laughable statements. Surprised you didn't throw out Monaco, Fiji and Sydney should have stellar football programs as well...

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
You once again made my point, living some place for decades and playing 3-5 years of football are completely different. This a football board, pretty easy concept to understand. What are you a travel agent?? As you said in your originally comment- San Diego, LA and Hawaii...those are laughable statements. Surprised you didn't throw out Monaco, Fiji and Sydney should have stellar football programs as well...

As near as I can tell, you have no point. Young kids can be duped with an argument that they are going to have to play in cold weather in the NFL, when that isn't the case at all. Kids are dopes, and believe that BS. The fact is...most people stay close to where they grew up. Nothing more, nothing less.

The lincoln winter weather analysis is simply fascinating. But Back to the point of the thread. Hoping we get a commit or two out of the group in Lincoln this weekend.

All I remember is, all those sun and warmth luvin thugs sprawled on the field, fourth qtr, while that northern team still had their helmuts on, telling them exactly where the ball was going.
So yea, take the wimps outta Nebraska,or leave them to their warm climes, young ballers want to ball, cold shouldn't matter, and may change a coaches mind too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT