ADVERTISEMENT

CB for Fidone.. he and family loves Nebraska!!

You can ever have too many good players. You never know if a kid will get hurt, get homesick, quit school, get in trouble, etc...
No doubt. Tell that to Mr. Bookman who seems content badmouthing the kid on a Nebraska site, saying over and over again how he is afraid of competition.

My larger point is Mr Bookman doesn’t need to be here. All he is doing is trolling.

No doubt. Tell that to Mr. Bookman who seems content badmouthing the kid on a Nebraska site, saying over and over again how he is afraid of competition.

My larger point is Mr Bookman doesn’t need to be here. All he is doing is trolling.
Yeah he’s something else. We just had a Nebraska fan get banned I think yesterday and came back with a new screen name today. I asked him how many screen names he has. His answer, as many as it takes to converse with my second favorite fan base. He’s so annoying like Bookman over here

Reactions: timnsun
Just because Iowa’s staff doesn’t offer as many as kids as Nebraska it doesn’t mean they don’t work hard. They just have different recruiting philosophy’s. I’m not sure if they’ve been to any of Fidone hoops games but they do go to prospects hoops games and wrestling meets when they can.
This was the same thing we heard under Bo.I know you guys and Bo to a lesser extent, rely more upon developing players, but as you climb the recruiting ladder, those kids options are much greater.
With that comes the heavy hitters, relentless recruiters, the snakeoil guys, the rumor mongers slighting other teams etc.
If you don't stay front and center with these guys,you will lose them.

My point is, if you get the guys you want, that by itself is limiting, in that it excludes guys like Epenesa, a clear difference in iowa performance. Of course, this doesn't exclude those players that have developed over the years that were close to his play, but, and hears the crux, if you dont pursue guys of Epenesas level, work your hind end off to get them, chances are they become exceptions, and not the rule.
Get it?

So yes, you do have to pursue many players, as you develop your recruiting board, because you learn if a player is interested over time or not. Just like going to the store, if theres only one type of a particular food, you buy that, but, when theres tons of options, anid just because you're a gifted athlete, all the prices are the same, so, a usually high priced bama burger is the same as a iowa burger, guess what he's likely to buy?

Bt, players can be sold, and if you're not on the shelves, or don't have great packaging,like relentless recruiting, you'll get passed over.

This was the same thing we heard under Bo.I know you guys and Bo to a lesser extent, rely more upon developing players, but as you climb the recruiting ladder, those kids options are much greater.
With that comes the heavy hitters, relentless recruiters, the snakeoil guys, the rumor mongers slighting other teams etc.
If you don't stay front and center with these guys,you will lose them.

My point is, if you get the guys you want, that by itself is limiting, in that it excludes guys like Epenesa, a clear difference in iowa performance. Of course, this doesn't exclude those players that have developed over the years that were close to his play, but, and hears the crux, if you dont pursue guys of Epenesas level, work your hind end off to get them, chances are they become exceptions, and not the rule.
Get it?

So yes, you do have to pursue many players, as you develop your recruiting board, because you learn if a player is interested over time or not. Just like going to the store, if theres only one type of a particular food, you buy that, but, when theres tons of options, anid just because you're a gifted athlete, all the prices are the same, so, a usually high priced bama burger is the same as a iowa burger, guess what he's likely to buy?

Bt, players can be sold, and if you're not on the shelves, or don't have great packaging,like relentless recruiting, you'll get passed over.
I agree recruiting is a never ending job and you have to put in a ton of time to sell a kid on your coaches, university, etc.. Also agree the more options a kid has you need to work even harder to get them. I’m ok with how many offers Iowa sends out. I think you can spend more time on the kids you’ve offered and aren’t spread so thin.
I’m pretty sure but could be wrong that Iowa sends out feelers or something like that in the mail to kids to see if they are interested in them and if they say no or don’t get a response they move on and spend time in kids that they know are interested in them. I could be wrong and maybe that’s something most schools do but I don’t know for sure.
I do know Iowa is on the low end for offers each year so there is some room to grow there. They’ve been getting commits from a lot of their early offers pretty early in the process though so maybe that has something to do with how many they send out too.
What I do know is they seem to be getting better prospects the last couple years and are off to a great start this year. Would myself and all Hawk fans love to land top 20 classes like you guys? Absolutely.

I agree recruiting is a never ending job and you have to put in a ton of time to sell a kid on your coaches, university, etc.. Also agree the more options a kid has you need to work even harder to get them. I’m ok with how many offers Iowa sends out. I think you can spend more time on the kids you’ve offered and aren’t spread so thin.
I’m pretty sure but could be wrong that Iowa sends out feelers or something like that in the mail to kids to see if they are interested in them and if they say no or don’t get a response they move on and spend time in kids that they know are interested in them. I could be wrong and maybe that’s something most schools do but I don’t know for sure.
I do know Iowa is on the low end for offers each year so there is some room to grow there. They’ve been getting commits from a lot of their early offers pretty early in the process though so maybe that has something to do with how many they send out too.
What I do know is they seem to be getting better prospects the last couple years and are off to a great start this year. Would myself and all Hawk fans love to land top 20 classes like you guys? Absolutely.
So, here again is a lowered level of low expectations.
The onus is always on the school, not the other way around. If a five star is truly open in their recruiting, a feeler wont go anywheres compared to an offer, a request to join in a camp, a phone call etc etc, or, all the different ways staffs use to entice a recruit.
Approaching it from the recruits perspective is a must, and feelers don't amount to much.

When a recruit commits to another team, and a team was in his feeling out process way down the line, I know iowa doesn't just give up, but, why so early in the process? You could make arguments it takes time away from other recruits, but in todays fast world of sound bites, it isn't long to make and keep constant contact, and the more you have, the more you have to work to make sure the schools interests are front and center with a recruit, which again, if highly sought after,are likely high in numbers as well.

Until told absolutely not, you keep trying imo, and many schools make this their recruiting approach, as it knocks on every door, leaves no stone unturned.

The onus is always on the school, not the other way around. If a five star is truly open in their recruiting, a feeler wont go anywheres compared to an offer, a request to join in a camp, a phone call etc etc, or, all the different ways staffs use to entice a recruit.
Approaching it from the recruits perspective is a must, and feelers don't amount to much.

When a recruit commits to another team, and a team was in his feeling out process way down the line, I know iowa doesn't just give up, but, why so early in the process? You could make arguments it takes time away from other recruits, but in todays fast world of sound bites, it isn't long to make and keep constant contact, and the more you have, the more you have to work to make sure the schools interests are front and center with a recruit, which again, if highly sought after,are likely high in numbers as well.

Until told absolutely not, you keep trying imo, and many schools make this their recruiting approach, as it knocks on every door, leaves no stone unturned.
I agree, to a degree, but there is only so much time, need to asses where you stand and not waste time on a lost cause.

Last edited:
I agree, to a degree, but there is only so much time, need to asses where you stand and not waste time on a list cause.
Yep. There’s no reason to bang your head against the wall when other kids you have a legit shot aren’t committed. You can offer a kid but if he’s not interested I don’t see a reason to keep reaching out to them.

Yeah he’s something else. We just had a Nebraska fan get banned I think yesterday and came back with a new screen name today. I asked him how many screen names he has. His answer, as many as it takes to converse with my second favorite fan base. He’s so annoying like Bookman over here
Yep. I know we’ve got bad fans too as far as message boards go, doesn’t make a difference what fan base.

Yep. There’s no reason to bang your head against the wall when other kids you have a legit shot aren’t committed. You can offer a kid but if he’s not interested I don’t see a reason to keep reaching out to them.
You always reach out to them.
It's well known,iowa like I said, goes after guys already committed to another team.
Is that them beating their heads too? You cant rationalize one,then do the other.

Again, I think iowas sights are smaller, I see no one wanting to expand the numbers. I think having a well established staff is very advantageous and effective,like upiowa has, we've had that as well, and at a higher level, but back then, going after a Tommy Frazier, fighting off several other big teams, and winning, really you could say made the difference in winning a couple of championships and almost a third.

Moving up by winning, by having a sound and established staff is nice, but it is limited by that staff, just look at our slow regression or, kansas states static ability. Under snyder, who was a great coach, had solid coaches in his staff, created a coaching tree of his own, he didn't reach for the stars, and his record too showed it.

At Nebraska,we have the brand, it gives us a leg up, and even as poorly as our past staffs recruited after Osborne, we still recruited nationally, did a portion of the things that brought us to the top, but just not as vigorously as was needed under new staff, and Bo was given time, but his longevity didnt show this improvement, even though he was seasoned here,giving him that advantage,plus the brand, it never reached the level required.
I see that going on at iowa today, as the Big and iowa has improved its brand, yes, your recruiting will improve, as has every team in the Big has, but I see no changes in iowa to reach that next level.

There's a careful balance of quality vs. quantity in offers and, of course, how much time you're willing to invest in a coveted recruited if there's a high probability of not only missing out on them, but losing out on more realistic targets in the process.

How many times did the Huskers shoot for big recruits over the years only to finish 2nd, including a few supposed "silent" comments. (In the end, they turned out to be completely silent.) If you don't have a proven ability to consistently close with elite recruits, you're playing a high-risk, high-reward game.

I understand why Iowa takes the approach they do. It may not be exciting, but they're getting good results and don't want to sacrifice their footing by taking wild swings for the fences. It's a more conservative approach but it's worked well for them as of late.

That right there is because Iowa finds out who’s interested in them and then offers the best possible players at each position that has Iowa as a leader or potential commitments and most times that early on its lower level recruits. The high level ones are waiting and taking visits first. They don’t waste their time trying to earn a Top 100 or Top 250 player unless the player has Iowa at Top or at least up there. Iowa fans think this is a good thing and it’s not. They even tease us about the number of offers we give out even though other top teams do the exact same thing.

If they actually bust their butts like S Frost, K Smart, U Meyer did, N Saban, D Swinney and those teams that recruit top 10 to top 15 classes, they too would probably land Top 20 or better classes. Even Jeff Brohm at Purdue is starting to do the same thing and it’s been paying off lately. Iowa could be so much better if they’d actually try and stop settling for the low level recruits. This is me trying to go back to my old ways and the way I USED respect the hell out of Iowa and Ferentz before Iowa fans pushed me to hate everything about Iowa.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
There's a careful balance of quality vs. quantity in offers and, of course, how much time you're willing to invest in a coveted recruited if there's a high probability of not only missing out on them, but losing out on more realistic targets in the process.

How many times did the Huskers shoot for big recruits over the years only to finish 2nd, including a few supposed "silent" comments. (In the end, they turned out to be completely silent.) If you don't have a proven ability to consistently close with elite recruits, you're playing a high-risk, high-reward game.

I understand why Iowa takes the approach they do. It may not be exciting, but they're getting good results and don't want to sacrifice their footing by taking wild swings for the fences. It's a more conservative approach but it's worked well for them as of late.
Ok, yes,Bo missed out, MR missed out, BC?
You are making my point

Ok, yes,Bo missed out, MR missed out, BC?
You are making my point

Bill Callahan it the lone Head Coach that killed in recruiting and still couldn’t get things going. That or he need a little more time. I’d love to seen how things gone had he been allowed to pull in Blaine Gabbert and that Top 5 class he had going when he got fired. Gabbert was a legit QB. He might have been the one thing Callahan needed for his offense to fire on all cylinders.

Getting so many guys early can be negative, as other guys blow up before their HS season is done.
So, other guys youve offered, if you jump early, have that smaller 'likely' focus, others in consideration that blow up later you miss on.
Not exactly the same thing, but to show how a guy may blow up later, and isnt offered earlier, and instead you fill that slot with another player, Joe Burrow.
Now again, its not the same,but it is by seeing how he blew up, and wouldnt have had near the controversy if he hadnt.
It's no mistake we finished much much higher than people thought we would have. So, if a coach is told by a recruit, I'm deciding on such and such a date, the staff can then decide, or hold and let them be a silent commit.

You always reach out to them.
It's well known,iowa like I said, goes after guys already committed to another team.
Is that them beating their heads too? You cant rationalize one,then do the other.

Again, I think iowas sights are smaller, I see no one wanting to expand the numbers. I think having a well established staff is very advantageous and effective,like upiowa has, we've had that as well, and at a higher level, but back then, going after a Tommy Frazier, fighting off several other big teams, and winning, really you could say made the difference in winning a couple of championships and almost a third.

Moving up by winning, by having a sound and established staff is nice, but it is limited by that staff, just look at our slow regression or, kansas states static ability. Under snyder, who was a great coach, had solid coaches in his staff, created a coaching tree of his own, he didn't reach for the stars, and his record too showed it.

At Nebraska,we have the brand, it gives us a leg up, and even as poorly as our past staffs recruited after Osborne, we still recruited nationally, did a portion of the things that brought us to the top, but just not as vigorously as was needed under new staff, and Bo was given time, but his longevity didnt show this improvement, even though he was seasoned here,giving him that advantage,plus the brand, it never reached the level required.
I see that going on at iowa today, as the Big and iowa has improved its brand, yes, your recruiting will improve, as has every team in the Big has, but I see no changes in iowa to reach that next level.
Oh they offer kids already committed but from what I can remember our mod saying those kids reached out to us first. My memory could be off but I think that’s what I remember reading. Like I said earlier, at least as of late a reason they have less offers out than most schools is they are getting commits early from their first wave of offers. In years past they’ve had to scramble to fill a class and a good amount of offers went out later but that hasn’t been the case the last couple years and looking like they will get most kids this class out of their early offers.
I’m not saying they can’t iffer more kids or shouldn’t, just that their approach lately has been working. It’s not like they don’t offer 4 and 5 stars, they just don’t have a high rate on hitting on them. The good thing is they’ve been getting more 5.6 and 5.7 at least. Nebraska’s approach has been working for them and Iowa’s has been working for them but there’s definitely still room to improve. They are off to a great start for 21 and hopefully if they can have another solid season this year they can build off of that even more.

Getting so many guys early can be negative, as other guys blow up before their HS season is done.
So, other guys youve offered, if you jump early, have that smaller 'likely' focus, others in consideration that blow up later you miss on.
Not exactly the same thing, but to show how a guy may blow up later, and isnt offered earlier, and instead you fill that slot with another player, Joe Burrow.
Now again, its not the same,but it is by seeing how he blew up, and wouldnt have had near the controversy if he hadnt.
It's no mistake we finished much much higher than people thought we would have. So, if a coach is told by a recruit, I'm deciding on such and such a date, the staff can then decide, or hold and let them be a silent commit.
That is a valid point on kids blowing up but if a kid wants to commit that you identified and offered early you take them imho.

Nebraska has always been innovative, using or creating advantages,SnC,diet, etc.

Bobfather bring ing black athletes, but, every move they made made their eventual replacements with more to work with, other just than brand, which declines over time unless it's upheld, but even then,wont improve unless more is added.

Oh they offer kids already committed but from what I can remember our mod saying those kids reached out to us first. My memory could be off but I think that’s what I remember reading. Like I said earlier, at least as of late a reason they have less offers out than most schools is they are getting commits early from their first wave of offers. In years past they’ve had to scramble to fill a class and a good amount of offers went out later but that hasn’t been the case the last couple years and looking like they will get most kids this class out of their early offers.
I’m not saying they can’t iffer more kids or shouldn’t, just that their approach lately has been working. It’s not like they don’t offer 4 and 5 stars, they just don’t have a high rate on hitting on them. The good thing is they’ve been getting more 5.6 and 5.7 at least. Nebraska’s approach has been working for them and Iowa’s has been working for them but there’s definitely still room to improve. They are off to a great start for 21 and hopefully if they can have another solid season this year they can build off of that even more.
So, Bo and MR were also famous at scrambling last second. But, going after guys that you always get gets you where youve always been.
That's my point, it's safe,under a seasoned staff,efficient and usually will end in good results.

I'm just saying, if Nebraska had wanted to fill their class early with 5.6-5.7 rated players, we certainly could have.
Theres a reason we didnt, theres a reason why we surprised. It wasn't brand alone.

That right there is because Iowa finds out who’s interested in them and then offers the best possible players at each position that has Iowa as a leader or potential commitments and most times that early on its lower level recruits. The high level ones are waiting and taking visits first. They don’t waste their time trying to earn a Top 100 or Top 250 player unless the player has Iowa at Top or at least up there. Iowa fans think this is a good thing and it’s not. They even tease us about the number of offers we give out even though other top teams do the exact same thing.

If they actually bust their butts like S Frost, K Smart, U Meyer did, N Saban, D Swinney and those teams that recruit top 10 to top 15 classes, they too would probably land Top 20 or better classes. Even Jeff Brohm at Purdue is starting to do the same thing and it’s been paying off lately. Iowa could be so much better if they’d actually try and stop settling for the low level recruits. This is me trying to go back to my old ways and the way I USED respect the hell out of Iowa and Ferentz before Iowa fans pushed me to hate everything about Iowa.
Iowa has offered 38 four or 5 stars in the 21 class out of out of 86 offers if I counted right.

Iowa has offered 38 four or 5 stars in the 21 class out of out of 86 offers if I counted right.

right and Iowa could still do so much better. Just look how you guys finish off most years and then look how others are finishing off that work it harder? That should be obvious. Hopefully, for Iowa’s sake, when Kirk Ferentz retires then the next Head Coach goes out and hires a great recruiter and they kill it. Iowa has the potential just like the Huskers, Wisconsin, PSU and teams like that do. We need to make the East great...and that means Iowa, Huskers and the Badgers doing better and getting the absolute best we can get.

Reactions: Mr. Bookman
right and Iowa could still do so much better. Just look how you guys finish off most years and then look how others are finishing off that work it harder? That should be obvious.
Part of it is familiarity,part just being older. KF I'm sure doesn't relish recruiting like he did in years past, and its always good to inject your staff with great recruiters that can coach.
I just remember Franky and staff falling down as they got older.

Not saying it's happening at iowa, but the energy to make it better/harder doesn't seem to be there.

Reactions: huskerssalts
So, Bo and MR were also famous at scrambling last second. But, going after guys that you always get gets you where youve always been.
That's my point, it's safe,under a seasoned staff,efficient and usually will end in good results.

I'm just saying, if Nebraska had wanted to fill their class early with 5.6-5.7 rated players, we certainly could have.
Theres a reason we didnt, theres a reason why we surprised. It wasn't brand alone.
You guys are certainly recruiting well. Iowa’s has improved with the new coordinator we got a couple years ago. The 21 class is off to an even better start. Things definitely seem to be trending in the right direction right now.

Part of it is familiarity,part just being older. KF I'm sure doesn't relish recruiting like he did in years past, and its always good to inject your staff with great recruiters that can coach.
I just remember Franky and staff falling down as they got older.

Not saying it's happening at iowa, but the energy to make it better/harder doesn't seem to be there.

thats just it. It’s like Kirk Ferentz and their AD is fine with just staying old average Joe. Hopefully their new HC will have more fire in his belly...when he finally comes around. Kirk doesn’t have much time left.

You guys are certainly recruiting well. Iowa’s has improved with the new coordinator we got a couple years ago. The 21 class is off to an even better start. Things definitely seem to be trending in the right direction right now.

no offense but you guys said the exact same thing about the 2020 class. You guys start off fast but then fall down the rankings as others fill up. Happens every year with Iowa.

Now, the coaches also have to deal with guys that are not only bmoc's, but big man in area or state.
It also can lead to other problems,one of the few times 'too much testosterone in this room' is easily seen, even for a headknocker.

Reactions: iafan44
no offense but you guys said the exact same thing about the 2020 class. You guys start off fast but then fall down the rankings as others fill up. Happens every year with Iowa.
2020 finished 32. Up 8-10 spots from previous could years but yes, we will fall as other fill up, just have higher rated kids already for 21 than the 20 class.

Reactions: huskerssalts
2020 finished 32. Up 8-10 spots from previous could years but yes, we will fall as other fill up, just have higher rated kids already for 21 than the 20 class.

I love seeing other fellow BIG East teams doing great. I don’t know about you guys but I get tired of hearing about Michigan and OSU every year with the occasional PSU mention.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT