ADVERTISEMENT

CB for Fidone.. he and family loves Nebraska!!

I’ll give Martinez a pass. His freshman year he threw over 64% and had the highest adjusted completion percentage in the BIG 10 that year. He did had a rough year this past season and followed it up with surgery right away. I’m going to assume playing hurt all year had an effect on him. But if Martinez can’t get it done then there is Luke McCaffrey and Logan Smothers (a Top 250 QB ranked at 171 in the country). We will have someone to get him the ball...believe that.
He HAS to be better this year than last. I'll cut him some slack but not all of his issues were injury problems. He flat out didn't see the open guy on many plays. He was not good at getting through his progressions. Maybe that will be better with better O line play.

He HAS to be better this year than last. I'll cut him some slack but not all of his issues were injury problems. He flat out didn't see the open guy on many plays. He was not good at getting through his progressions. Maybe that will be better with better O line play.
I still dont think it was always not seeing guys, as the guys who dont do what theyre supposed to do during the progression, they may later open up, but the qb has already read them earlier,and they weren't open.

Jamming guys, having defenders in the passing lane because a different guy didn't pull him out etc.
Spacings another, I think Lubick fixes much of this, and all the sudden AM looks so much better, when actually its spacing and guys getting their jobs done.

You put the defense in a if this, then that situation, but our two guys have to be doing their stuff right.
If they safety stays shallow for bubble or outside zone, then, the TE breaks off his out route and runs the seam.
I just looked at us, and we looked worse than year one, and nothing like the perfection of ucf.

Keep digging a hole with your "spacing" reasoning. There are generally options on routes depending on the coverage. It's the WR job to run the route the D dictates and get open and the QB's job to find him. Of course they aren't open at all times during a route, it's called getting separation. Good QB's can also throw a WR open by leading them to an open spot.

I went back and watched plays of Adrian and when all the speculations were flying about injury, his head was a mess and all that I came to the conclusion he just was not seeing the field well. Some players have it, some don't. I saw multiple plays where he was in the pocket and stepped forward to scramble and guys were sitting down and he didn't see them. My theory was that Ozigbo took a lot of hear off him with a 1,000 yard season and the biggest advantage was Stanley being able to get open even when staring him down.

My best guess is they will be working on Adrian's eyes and keeping his head up to see the field. Our WR were not super great last year but I don't think they were as bad as it appeared.

Last edited:
I’m not to worried about those guys. There are 3 TEs in the Top 100 and a number of them in the Top 250. It appears Thomas Fidone is looking to stay in the BIG 10 country and a heavy Husker lean (again we are his childhood favorite). Here’s Bama potential top TE target and appears he’s a Bama lean.

And Clemson has their TE

Man poor TE, has two blue chip TEs in their state and don’t get either of them.

Keep digging a hole with your "spacing" reasoning. There are generally options on routes depending on the coverage. It's the WR job to run the route the D dictates and get open and the QB's job to find him. Of course they aren't open at all times during a route, it's called getting separation. Good QB's can also throw a WR open by leading them to an open spot.

I went back and watched plays of Adrian and when all the speculations were flying about injury, his head was a mess and all that I came to the conclusion he just was not seeing the field well. Some players have it, some don't. I saw multiple plays where he was in the pocket and stepped forward to scramble and guys were sitting down and he didn't see them. My theory was that Ozigbo took a lot of hear off him with a 1,000 yard season and the biggest advantage was Stanley being able to get open even when staring him down.

My best guess is they will be working on Adrian's eyes and keeping his head up to see the field. Our WR were not super great last year but I don't think they were as bad as it appeared.
Then AM will truly have a great turnaround

This makes no sense. He was a Freshman-All American...he has it. They overloaded him and forgot he is 19...most players in his position take step back or only take a small step forward their 2nd season. He forgot he hasn't won anything and started acting like he was a heisman candidate, and everyone forgot he is a work in progress. He didn't play his senior year, so isn't polished like some...and has been banged up regularly because the style they expect him to play. Frost needs to get his head out of asses and realize you can't get a guy hit 10-15 times AND have him throw accurately on time, with as little experience as Adrian actually has. He can be a scrambler but he isn't going to be a Tebow, short yardage back, make all the throws and still save the day when the oline sucks or makes bad snaps. They need to pick a style...bulk him up and limit the pass game to 15 a game, with 40-50 rushes a game from many sets. Or they thin him down and take out the power run game...but throw more often for a balanced attack. Right now he is tweener.

This makes no sense. He was a Freshman-All American...he has it. They overloaded him and forgot he is 19...most players in his position take step back or only take a small step forward their 2nd season. He forgot he hasn't won anything and started acting like he was a heisman candidate, and everyone forgot he is a work in progress. He didn't play his senior year, so isn't polished like some...and has been banged up regularly because the style they expect him to play. Frost needs to get his head out of asses and realize you can't get a guy hit 10-15 times AND have him throw accurately on time, with as little experience as Adrian actually has. He can be a scrambler but he isn't going to be a Tebow, short yardage back, make all the throws and still save the day when the oline sucks or makes bad snaps. They need to pick a style...bulk him up and limit the pass game to 15 a game, with 40-50 rushes a game from many sets. Or they thin him down and take out the power run game...but throw more often for a balanced attack. Right now he is tweener.

Well, I guess that hikes that were thrown all over the place probably didn't help AMart much either.

Reactions: donahues17
https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_7b98409e-d9d1-571a-ab5b-9f29f364d11e.html
Tight end Thomas Fidone, Council Bluffs, Iowa

Fidone, a 6-5, 210-pounder at Lewis Central High, is one of the most sought-after prospects in the Midwest. Last week alone, he picked up offers from Georgia and Florida, and already has a host of Big Ten interest.
The four-star prospect has been on campus in Lincoln several times already and is slated to make a return trip.
Brody Brecht, wide receiver, Ankeny, Iowa

Brecht is a big receiver at 6-4 and 190 pounds and has offers from in-state Iowa and Iowa State, along with the Huskers, Kansas and others.
Brecht has been to Lincoln multiple times and is making another trip this weekend. He is a three-star prospect for both 247Sports and Rivals.
Keagan Johnson, athlete, Bellevue West

The most recent in-state prospect to pick up a scholarship offer from Nebraska, Johnson is a good athlete who could potentially play either side of the ball in his college career. He was used primarily at wide receiver as a junior for Michael Huffman’s prolific offense at Bellevue West.

Johnson also has offers from Iowa and Iowa State. His dad, Clester, played at Nebraska; his oldest brother, C.J., was a productive receiver at Wyoming; and his middle brother, Caden, is an FCS All-American at South Dakota State.
NU has one known 2020 official visitor set to come to campus this weekend, wide receiver Kris Abrams-Draine of Spanish Fort, Alabama. Abrams-Draine played quarterback for most of his senior season out of necessity and put up big numbers, helping guide Spanish Fort deep into the postseason despite being new to the position.

He posted impressive figures, rushing for 1,745 yards and throwing for 723, compiling 26 total offensive touchdowns and adding a pair of interception return scores.

Those aren’t likely to be the only players on campus, and lists do tend to change over the course of time leading up to events. A few players currently slated to be on campus Jan. 25 include defensive linemen Jeffrey Bowie (West Branch, Iowa) and Ryan Keeler (La Grange Park, Illinois), athlete Seth Malcom (Tabor, Iowa) and Kearney Catholic quarterback Heinrich Haarberg.

I would have never have guessed this topic would have gone 11 pages and going when you posted it. I know we have our Husker obsessed Iowa fans chiming in like we need to hear their opinions and all...but dam. Thomas Fidone is a great TE prospect and myself, I don’t see him ending up anywhere else outside being a Husker. Considering he grew up a Husker fan and all...GBR

I would have never have guessed this topic would have gone 11 pages and going when you posted it. I know we have our Husker obsessed Iowa fans chiming in like we need to hear their opinions and all...but dam. Thomas Fidone is a great TE prospect and myself, I don’t see him ending up anywhere else outside being a Husker. Considering he grew up a Husker fan and all...GBR
Imagine how many pages it will get too when Fidone comes N? Smokin

Reactions: huskerssalts
Does anybody know if he’s going to take all of his visits before he’s N with his lifelong team? What’s timeframe for his commit?

Does anybody know if he’s going to take all of his visits before he’s N with his lifelong team? What’s timeframe for his commit?
bookworm will ask his HS friends at the kegger this weekend.
giphy.gif

It’s not like the competition at mighty Iowa, but Fidone just landed an Alabama offer.

I think that snap fiasco, that lasted the better part of last season, and constant protection breakdowns, did as much to destroy his season as anything. And who knows how much the injuries impacted him.

If you get him great for you, I’m not in the least concerned whether he goes to Iowa or not as he has pretty much admitted he would be far down the depth chart. As Tight End U the Hawkeyes just plugnplay.

Clearly, you aren’t concerned. That’s why you are on here 24/7, because you are so not concerned.
Iowa gets him and it will be, "He came here because he knows we will put him in the NFL"
Iowa if they don't get him " He went there because he knew he would be buried on the depth chart and never play here"

Reactions: headcard
11 pages of comments over a 17 year old kid who plays TE who, even if he came to Nebraska, probably wouldn't contribute significantly until 2022 at a position that rarely does much for this team.

But I guess it is February, and there isn't much else to discuss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT