ADVERTISEMENT
How about .. “we are happy with our QB room but as with every position on the team we are always evaluating ways we can get better or add depth”

burrow wasn’t coming - the above quote makes it look like it was burrows decision rather than Frost laughing at the prospect of him joining the team

there are a million different ways that could have been answered and not ended up as an all time foot in your mouth quote
And my guess , you have Never faced the media, you have no idea how you would answer, Hindsight is 20/20!

Nebraska is where good QB’s go to die if we cannot fix our OL and run game. Thompson will be no exception. However, I want them to be good so bad!
The most promising element is what’s been mentioned, but probably not enough:
quicker decisions/release. That will go a long way.

But we all know the OL is a ??

Reactions: BleedRed78
And my guess , you have Never faced the media, you have no idea how you would answer, Hindsight is 20/20!
I also wouldn’t have said we’ll be competing for the division title in year 2 and then it will only get better … or the big ten will have to adjust to us … or that Purdue is a winnable game right before playing them … or whine about Iowa clapping

• Haha
Reactions: CriticalObserver
I also wouldn’t have said we’ll be competing for the division title in year 2 and then it will only get better … or the big ten will have to adjust to us … or that Purdue is a winnable game right before playing them … or whine about Iowa clapping
I agree Frost has said some dumb stuff, but the quote we are talking about at the time wasn’t one of them, if you compare the stats minus wins and loss,JB was not better than Adrian the first year!

Reactions: OzzyLvr
The most promising element is what’s been mentioned, but probably not enough:
quicker decisions/release. That will go a long way.

But we all know the OL is a ??
I don’t really understand the guy’s comment?

the only good QBs we’ve had since Crouch are Ganz and Armstrong

EDIT: and The General, Zac Taylor

Last edited:
Not going to debate merits just putting it out as a fact

since Frazier we have had three 1st team all conf selections at QB (media or coaches)

Crouch
Zac Taylor
Taylor Martinez
Taylor, like AM, was a person who happened to take snaps, not a quarterback.

Reactions: Baxter48
One other piece of the analysis:
While not being used as much as a running QB, Thompson fumbled 3x and lost 1.
1 fumble per 18 carries. 1 lost per 55 carries.

Adrian fumbled 7 times and lost 3.
1 fumble per 19 carries. 1 lost per 44 carries.

Fumbling at a similar rate, but Adrian strung together 4 years with the other 3 all being a little worse than last year.
Thompson only had the one year with significant carries.

Adrian was our bell cow “top rusher,” and if you had a regular bell cow RB, he wouldn’t last fumbling as often as Adrian.
Ball security for Casey will be extremely important if he wants to stay in good graces with the fans.

I kinda like what I see from Casey, but he still has a lot to prove here before I’m sold on what he can be for us.
The fastest way for Thompson to lose favor with the fans is to start turning the ball over and making obvious bonehead plays.

I think the regular NU fan has had a belly full of those actions to last a lifetime.

The fastest way for Thompson to lose favor with the fans is to start turning the ball over and making obvious bonehead plays.

I think the regular NU fan has had a belly full of those actions to last a lifetime.
As the season grows nigh, I am starting to think simply looking like a football team that has prepared to play football games will be enough for most to think we are improving

I watched the whole video. My thoughts:

Pros:
  • Really impressive start to the season. He got noticeably worse after the thumb injury.
  • Actually knows how to navigate a pocket and go through his progressions. Will step up to make a throw.
  • Looks good scrambling and throwing on the run, but he does it at the right time and doesn't bail early
  • Pump fakes.. remember those?
  • Hits receivers in stride. Especially on swing passes.
  • Actually a really good runner. Has some wiggle and some power. Doesn't have the straightaway speed of Martinez.
  • Can hit the deep ball. Seems like every game he hit a TD pass of 25+ yards
  • Not afraid to throw it. More of a gunslinger mentality for better or worse
  • Tough. Willing to take a hit to finish a throw. Willing to take a hit at the goal line to score.
  • Watching Texas lose to the old doormats of the B12 is really fun.. they gave up 35 points to KANSAS in the first half!
  • Got some glimpses of Ochaun Mathis and he was causing all sorts of trouble for their O-line
Cons:
  • Some mishaps handling the snap and handoffs. Really hoping we don't see that again this year
  • We need to be prepared for some interceptions. He has the occasional ill-advised or errant throw. He seemed to get into an occasional funk where multiple drives would stall on bad throws.
  • Not a great success rate with the 2 minute drill. But he at least finished some of them, so it'll be an improvement
  • Could use a little more touch on his throws. Sometimes he just rifled it and the receiver dropped it
  • Like you would expect a lot of his bad throws came when the O-line was struggling. We really need ours to step it up this year or it won't matter what Thompson's potential is
Overall I was pretty impressed and he looked better than I expected. I think his floor is a solid P5 QB, and there's a lot of upside if his thumb injury was really holding him back the second half of the season.

I watched the whole video. My thoughts:

Pros:
  • Really impressive start to the season. He got noticeably worse after the thumb injury.
  • Actually knows how to navigate a pocket and go through his progressions. Will step up to make a throw.
  • Looks good scrambling and throwing on the run, but he does it at the right time and doesn't bail early
  • Pump fakes.. remember those?
  • Hits receivers in stride. Especially on swing passes.
  • Actually a really good runner. Has some wiggle and some power. Doesn't have the straightaway speed of Martinez.
  • Can hit the deep ball. Seems like every game he hit a TD pass of 25+ yards
  • Not afraid to throw it. More of a gunslinger mentality for better or worse
  • Tough. Willing to take a hit to finish a throw. Willing to take a hit at the goal line to score.
  • Watching Texas lose to the old doormats of the B12 is really fun.. they gave up 35 points to KANSAS in the first half!
  • Got some glimpses of Ochaun Mathis and he was causing all sorts of trouble for their O-line
Cons:
  • Some mishaps handling the snap and handoffs. Really hoping we don't see that again this year
  • We need to be prepared for some interceptions. He has the occasional ill-advised or errant throw. He seemed to get into an occasional funk where multiple drives would stall on bad throws.
  • Not a great success rate with the 2 minute drill. But he at least finished some of them, so it'll be an improvement
  • Could use a little more touch on his throws. Sometimes he just rifled it and the receiver dropped it
  • Like you would expect a lot of his bad throws came when the O-line was struggling. We really need ours to step it up this year or it won't matter what Thompson's potential is
Overall I was pretty impressed and he looked better than I expected. I think his floor is a solid P5 QB, and there's a lot of upside if his thumb injury was really holding him back the second half of the season.
Good assessment.
For me the quick decisions stood out as a huge upgrade.
QBs get a bad rep sometimes for the INTs. Yes, it’s very important to minimize those, but if the trade off is gunslinging TDs, then I can cope with the aggressive play. You don’t wanna see stupid throws though.
Conversely, Adrian had a season with like 3 TDs thrown. I’d gladly trade some extra INTs to get the TD throws up over 16-20.

Well, Adrian was a 1 on the 1-10 scale, so….
Let’s watch the first 4 games before slamming AM too much. We may find that he wasn’t as bad as some believe. If our OL isn’t much better I’ll hope and pray that Thompson has a little bit of Houdini in him. AM did seem to have that from time to time.

I’ll check in on the topic after OU game. AM will have 3 games with KSU by then as well.

Last edited:

I just watched this entire video. Compared to AM2, here are some pro's & con's that I saw out of our new QB (in my expert opinion)....

Pro:
- Way better pocket presence & awareness
- Sense of urgency
- Accurate screen pass thrower (lol)
- Short throw accuracy
- Quick decision maker
- Physical
- Wears a visor on his helmet

Con:

- Questionable deep ball accuracy
- Played for Texas
- Probably just got chlamydia on his recent trip to Miami last week

Watch that video and let me know your thoughts!
GBR

According to Texas fans he was quite good before his hand injury and quite average after the injury. Will all depend if that hand is completely healed.

Con:

Dad played for Boomer Sooner.
As an OU fan I think Casey Thompson got a raw deal at Texas. His performance was marred by a very bad Texas OL. He would have looked a lot better with a better OL. The same thing happened to Hudson Card the other Texas QB. Card won the starting QB position at the start of the year but the Texas OL killed him too and then Thompson took over. Eventually Thompson was replaced by Card at the end of the year. Both are very good QBs but neither could operate behind that OL that Texas had. I know nothing of the NU OL this year but if they are good then Thompson will be good. Casey is not nearly as fast as his dad but is a much better passer.

Last edited:
Let’s watch the first 4 games before slamming AM too much. We may find that he wasn’t as bad as some believe. If our OL isn’t much better I’ll hope and pray that Thompson has a little bit of Houdini in him. AM did seem to have that from time to time.

I’ll check in on the topic after OU game. AM will have 3 games with KSU by then as well.
@BleedRed78 - taking your name down. Let’s revisit the discussion 4 or 5 games into the season. Fair?

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Oooooohhhbbb @BleedRed78 you’re in trouble. Got your name taken down.
Just taking it down so I can further the conversation once we have data to actually compare and discuss. The rolling laughing face emoji wasn’t real detailed so I’d like to discuss in more depth down the road.

I especially liked the "hoodie" comments with the cold Minnesota game. Really moved the team forward, didn't it? LOL

Reactions: Redmich
@BleedRed78 - taking your name down. Let’s revisit the discussion 4 or 5 games into the season. Fair?

We've already seen the clown show that was AM. There's no further discussion necessary...

• Haha
Reactions: Rick.Shaw
ADVERTISEMENT