ADVERTISEMENT
If AM hadn’t left, this would be the most depressing off-season in football history precluding essentially a 5-year march to the gallows for a native son

the only people posting here would be minn, iowa, kstate and purdue fans lol
I'm glad AM left so now I don't have to "dog" the kid.

I do, however, look forward to dogging the offensive linemen til some of them leave. LOL

I'm glad AM left so now I don't have to "dog" the kid.

I do, however, look forward to dogging the offensive linemen til some of them leave. LOL
40b364930464de7325f3aaec72d1865e1b5abf90.jpg

I think with Verduzco being gone and hopefully Whipple instilling a solid offensive plan, we may finally be able to turn the page on that non-leadership known as AM.

Most amazing to me was just Frost's and Verduzco's willingness to overlook what every else was seeing. If the QB cupboard was bare, it was from Frosts' and Verduzco's own choosing. NU was early enough in the new Frost regime to try to bring in another QB, if they indicated the job was truly up for grabs.

The indeciveness, the refusal to throw a receiver open, the bonehead turnovers at critical times, I just want a QB who can manage the game, stay within his ability, and gain the confidence of the players.

I felt when Martinez was the QB it resembled a pitcher who throws a ton of balls and walks a lot of guys and as a result the defense gets to standing around.

In football, that equates to less sharp routes, less attention to the route depth, since AM would refuse to throw a route that was open, and just as likely to take off and run.

I don't dislike Martinez as an athlete and person, and I hope he stays healthy so KSU fans can get a full dose of why NU's loss of a 4 year starter was looked as a a win for NU and their fans who are tired of losing.

We don't know if Thompson, Purdy or Smothers is going to be "the man." Hopefully, Thompson comes in and is able to do things that Martinez was allowed to not do over 4 years.

It would be nice to know IF a QB is struggling, the OC would be willing to make a change and not punish the whole offensive unit by sticking with a guy who's stinking up the place.

In the event, the OL can provide a little protection, it would be awesome to see our very talented receiver corp be able to run sharp routes and then have the ball delivered to one of them, and not pull the ball down and take off running.

Is there anyone who reads this that would have stuck with Martinez for 4 straight years that resulted in losing seasons?

Frost and by extension, Verduzco seemed to consciously or unconsciously sabotage the whole program by refusing to give anyone else a chance.

That's my Friday morning bitch session, and I apologize to those who disagree.

Who would he have gone with if not 2AM?

The McCaffrey experiment proved to me that he was worse at QB than AM. I do wish Smothers had gotten more opportunity last year. I thought he played well, for the most part, against Io_a last year and had us in a position to win the game even with his mistakes AND the blocked punt for TD. I thought his effort & focus were better than most everything that AM showed us. He just needed more experience.

Yes, it's on HCSF & Verdu that they didn't have someone else in the wings but I'm not sitting in the recruiting meetings so I don't know any of the discussions nor who we seriously had a shot at but didn't get. Unless anyone was sitting there, anything claimed would just be speculation. My recollection may be off but I don't believe the transfer portal before last season was near as good as this past one. I'm not sure I want them pursuing someone that isn't going to push for starting time.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Who would he have gone with if not 2AM?

The McCaffrey experiment proved to me that he was worse at QB than AM. I do wish Smothers had gotten more opportunity last year. I thought he played well, for the most part, against Io_a last year and had us in a position to win the game even with his mistakes AND the blocked punt for TD. I thought his effort & focus were better than most everything that AM showed us. He just needed more experience.

Yes, it's on HCSF & Verdu that they didn't have someone else in the wings but I'm not sitting in the recruiting meetings so I don't know any of the discussions nor who we seriously had a shot at but didn't get. Unless anyone was sitting there, anything claimed would just be speculation. My recollection may be off but I don't believe the transfer portal before last season was near as good as this past one. I'm not sure I want them pursuing someone that isn't going to push for starting time.
True. But, IF, and IF the reality was that Frost had Martinez penciled to be the unopposed QB, regardless of competition, that situation was caused by Frost.

IF, Frost ever felt Martinez was not going to lead NU to the heighths that Frost envisioned, he should have quit lieing to himself and aggressively pursued a QB that could replace or legitimately beat Martinez out.

Over the last 4 years look at the talent at QB from High School kids, Juco's and then decide for yourselves. Some of the kids who have graduated from high school or transferred among schools, or came in from the Juco's were probably far superior to Martinez. If I take the time to research it, I'm sure I can come up with a list of players that could have at least been considered.

It was clearly decided, by Frost, that that wouldn't happen. After year 1 you have sold a lot of kids on the idea of coming to play for NU, as we finished looking like an improving team and program.

When the suspicion is that NO ONE is going to beat Martinez out, why would a potentially good QB want to come here and be a back up? The kid could just stay where he's at and maybe have a chance to play.

"You think he's better than what we've got?" SAYS IT ALL.

Do you have to think in a "real" competition between Martinez and Joe Burrow who the winner would be? Burrow has proven both at LSU and Cincinnati he is at a totally different level than Martinez.

I'll take a look at "potential" players NU may have at least had a chance to talk to considering NU, other than Tennessee, was sending out over 400 contacts a year, the 2nd MOST contacts to players on almost a direct mail basis?

True. But, IF, and IF the reality was that Frost had Martinez penciled to be the unopposed QB, regardless of competition, that situation was caused by Frost.

IF, Frost ever felt Martinez was not going to lead NU to the heighths that Frost envisioned, he should have quit lieing to himself and aggressively pursued a QB that could replace or legitimately beat Martinez out.

Over the last 4 years look at the talent at QB from High School kids, Juco's and then decide for yourselves. Some of the kids who have graduated from high school or transferred among schools, or came in from the Juco's were probably far superior to Martinez. If I take the time to research it, I'm sure I can come up with a list of players that could have at least been considered.

It was clearly decided, by Frost, that that wouldn't happen. After year 1 you have sold a lot of kids on the idea of coming to play for NU, as we finished looking like an improving team and program.

When the suspicion is that NO ONE is going to beat Martinez out, why would a potentially good QB want to come here and be a back up? The kid could just stay where he's at and maybe have a chance to play.

Do you have to think in a "real" competition between Martinez and Joe Burrow who the winner would be? Burrow has proven both at LSU and Cincinnati he is at a totally different level than Martinez.

I'll take a look at "potential" players NU may have at least had a chance to talk to considering NU, other than Tennessee, was sending out over 400 contacts a year, the 2nd MOST contacts to players on almost a direct mail basis?
In 2019, Dillon Gabriel was the 48th rated QB coming out of high school and was from Hawaii. Same state as Mariota and Milton.
Zach Calzada was # 37 who is at A & M. McNamara from Michigan was # 15 out of the state of Nevada. Matt Duggan was # 10 out of Council Bluffs.

The Top Three kids out of high school were Rattler, Bo Nix, and Jayden Daniels ALL of whom have transferred from their original schools.

After 2018, and prior to 2019 this is a list of he Top Ten College QB's that transferred. Granted most, maybe all of them, would not have picked NU, but clearly NONE OF THEM were afraid to come into a system and compete with another QB.

Jalen Hurts, Justin Fields, Jason Eason, Kelly Bryant, Shane Beuschel (SMU),
Hunter Johnson (NW), Tate Martell (yeah, him), Alex Hornibrook (Fla St),

As pointed out by others in previous discussions, Joe Burrow's development at NU is only speculation at best. When HCSF made those comments, 2AM was full of promise and produced a solid Freshman season. Would Burrow have beat him out? Possibly, we may never know. He would have at least provided a quality back up. Would Burrow have come to NU to battle a highly-touted (at the time) Freshman QB? I doubt it. IF JB had really wanted to come to NU, he could have come, walked on and earned a scholarship. We also had other QBs in the stable that ended up transferring out so it wouldn't have just been battling AM. Instead, he went someplace where he felt he had the best chance to start. Would Burrow have rec'd the training, protection, WR that he had at LSU that propelled him to his Heisman season? Unlikely.

Here's Burrow's stats for the 2018 season at LSU (Junior):
G - 13
Completions - 219
Attempts - 379
Completion % - 57.8%
Yds - 2894
TD - 16
INT - 5
QBR - 133.2

AM's stats for the 2018 season at NU (Freshman):
G - 11
Completions - 224
Attempts - 347
Completion % - 64.6%
Yds - 2617
TD - 17
INT - 8
QBR - 139.5

Hindsight being 20-20 vision, just based on the 2018 stats and nothing else, if you had to choose one of the two for the 2019 season, who would you choose?

HCSF made a mistake in not going after better QBs the following seasons but I'm sure he also felt that AM would continue to improve significantly over his Freshman season. I wish we would just give up on the revisionist thinking. I don't recall anyone clamoring for Joe Burrow instead of AM heading into the 2019 season. The 2018 (and prior) stats would have been all we could go on and Burrow just didn't have the edge.

Re: Thompson’s running ability

HS career ran for over 3000 yds (avg 6 per carry) with 47 TDs and 6 fumbles (5 lost).

Reportedly a 4.5 40yd dash (something he also referenced in an interview I think- maybe said 4.6).
Recruited as a dual threat.

In an interview, he seemed excited to show off a little more of his running skills that got suppressed during his time in Texas.

I’m sure it will be less than AM in terms of rushing production, but I’m comfortable with him doing what needs to be done.

In 2019, Dillon Gabriel was the 48th rated QB coming out of high school and was from Hawaii. Same state as Mariota and Milton.
Zach Calzada was # 37 who is at A & M. McNamara from Michigan was # 15 out of the state of Nevada. Matt Duggan was # 10 out of Council Bluffs.

The Top Three kids out of high school were Rattler, Bo Nix, and Jayden Daniels ALL of whom have transferred from their original schools.

After 2018, and prior to 2019 this is a list of he Top Ten College QB's that transferred. Granted most, maybe all of them, would not have picked NU, but clearly NONE OF THEM were afraid to come into a system and compete with another QB.

Jalen Hurts, Justin Fields, Jason Eason, Kelly Bryant, Shane Beuschel (SMU),
Hunter Johnson (NW), Tate Martell (yeah, him), Alex Hornibrook (Fla St),
Thanks for the digging. That is very interesting info.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
As pointed out by others in previous discussions, Joe Burrow's development at NU is only speculation at best. When HCSF made those comments, 2AM was full of promise and produced a solid Freshman season. Would Burrow have beat him out? Possibly, we may never know. He would have at least provided a quality back up. Would Burrow have come to NU to battle a highly-touted (at the time) Freshman QB? I doubt it. IF JB had really wanted to come to NU, he could have come, walked on and earned a scholarship. We also had other QBs in the stable that ended up transferring out so it wouldn't have just been battling AM. Instead, he went someplace where he felt he had the best chance to start. Would Burrow have rec'd the training, protection, WR that he had at LSU that propelled him to his Heisman season? Unlikely.

G - 13
Completions - 219
Attempts - 379
Completion % - 57.8%
Yds - 2894
TD - 16
INT - 5
QBR - 133.2

G - 11
Completions - 224
Attempts - 347
Completion % - 64.6%
Yds - 2617
TD - 17
INT - 8
QBR - 139.5

Hindsight being 20-20 vision, just based on the 2018 stats and nothing else, if you had to choose one of the two for the 2019 season, who would you choose?

HCSF made a mistake in not going after better QBs the following seasons but I'm sure he also felt that AM would continue to improve significantly over his Freshman season. I wish we would just give up on the revisionist thinking. I don't recall anyone clamoring for Joe Burrow instead of AM heading into the 2019 season. The 2018 (and prior) stats would have been all we could go on and Burrow just didn't have the edge.
I would take the guy who led the LSU team to a 10-3 record....

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE about your comment on the revisionist thinking.

Future performance is no guarantee of past success,

but 10-3 vs. 4-8 isn't much of a contest. 15-0 vs. 5-7 is a bit lopsided.

G - 13
Completions - 219
Attempts - 379
Completion % - 57.8%
Yds - 2894
TD - 16
INT - 5
QBR - 133.2

G - 11
Completions - 224
Attempts - 347
Completion % - 64.6%
Yds - 2617
TD - 17
INT - 8
QBR - 139.5

I totally agree with the post , but prepare to duck, all the experts on here that know JB was better will take shots at you!

Thanks for the digging. That is very interesting info.
Please understand, this is just a philosophical disagreement, nothing personal.

When issues come into play, I'll always look for provable facts.

Good discussion on your part Ozzy.

Reactions: OzzyLvr

LSU had better players than us around the QB!

BUT, heading into the 2019 season, nobody, absolutely nobody knew JB would have that kind of year. As I said, if you had to choose based ONLY on the 2018 stats, who would you choose? I would have chosen AM if I'm looking ONLY at the 2018 stats. At that point, 2019 hasn't even played a single game. Fall practice hasn't even begun. You're fooling yourself IF you still say you'd have chosen JB at that exact time in history.

Reactions: king_kong_
I totally agree with the post , but prepare to duck, all the experts on here that know JB was better will take shots at you!
the issue isn't whether Burrow came here or not ... it was the idiotic bravado-laced statement by Frost that will continue to bite him in the ass for his remaining days

as has been pointed out - AM had pretty damn good freshman and there were no warning bells going off that he needed to be replaced - we did need a quality back up

instead of spouting off with "do you think he's better than we got" he simply could have said something to the effect of -- we are excited about our QBs but like every position we are always looking to get better, build depth and competition

Burrow doesn't;'t come here and it appears it was his (Burrows) choice as opposed to Frost laughing at the idea

this whole thing was just another self-inflicted wound by Frost

Last edited:
Re: Thompson’s running ability

HS career ran for over 3000 yds (avg 6 per carry) with 47 TDs and 6 fumbles (5 lost).

Reportedly a 4.5 40yd dash (something he also referenced in an interview I think- maybe said 4.6).
Recruited as a dual threat.

In an interview, he seemed excited to show off a little more of his running skills that got suppressed during his time in Texas.

I’m sure it will be less than AM in terms of rushing production, but I’m comfortable with him doing what needs to be done.
Last year at UT, Thompson ran the ball 55 times for 137 yds., avg 2.9ypc, 4 TD's and his long was 41 yards.

Last year at NU, Martinez ran the ball 133 times for 525 yards, avg. 3.9ypc., 13 T.D.'s, and didn't show longest run, but probably in the area of 70-80 yards maybe. Longer than Thompson's for sure.

BUT, heading into the 2019 season, nobody, absolutely nobody knew JB would have that kind of year. As I said, if you had to choose based ONLY on the 2018 stats, who would you choose? I would have chosen AM if I'm looking ONLY at the 2018 stats. At that point, 2019 hasn't even played a single game. Fall practice hasn't even begun. You're fooling yourself IF you still say you'd have chosen JB at that exact time in history.
I'll take a QB that led a team to a winning record over a 4-8 QB all day long.

Sorry to disagree, but we won't change each other's mind.

the issue isn't whether Burrow came here or not ... it was the idiotic bravado-laced statement by Frost that will continue to bite him in the ass for his remaining days

as has been pointed out - AM had pretty damn good freshman and there were no warning bells going off that he needed to be replaced - we did need a quality back up

instead of spouting off with "do you think he's better than we got" he simply could have said something to the effect of -- Adrian had a tremendous freshman year and we are excited about his future but like every position we are always looking to get better, build depth and competition

Burrow doesn't;'t come here and it appears it was his (Burrows) choice as opposed to Frost laughing at the idea

this whole thing was just another self-inflicted wound by Frost
Please refresh my memory, did Frost make those comments before the 2018 season or after the 2018 season? Burrow played at LSU in the 2018 season. That said, I agree he shouldn't have made the statement but it wasn't a problem until the 2019 season played out.

I'll take a QB that led a team to a winning record over a 4-8 QB all day long.

Sorry to disagree, but we won't change each other's mind.
With the Powerball as it is, I'll go 50-50 with you on a ticket as you seem to know the future. At least you knew the future back prior to the 2019 season. Did you win the lottery back then?

Please refresh my memory, did Frost make those comments before the 2018 season or after the 2018 season? Burrow played at LSU in the 2018 season. That said, I agree he shouldn't have made the statement but it wasn't a problem until the 2019 season played out.
After Burrow transferred from OSU in the spring of 2018.
Source: The Sporting News.

With the Powerball as it is, I'll go 50-50 with you on a ticket as you seem to know the future. At least you knew the future back prior to the 2019 season. Did you win the lottery back then?
I only play horses as a profession.

I did NOT hit the lottery, but I did buy more than just a few Bitcoin at .08 cents a piece.

After Burrow transferred from OSU in the spring of 2018.
Source: The Sporting News.
Thanks!

So HCSF's comments came prior to the 2018 season, which we can see AM had the better season and looked to be more promising for 2019. Neither had played the 2018 season at that point so the only complaint people should have had back then was that he was a NU legacy that we should have at least offered (or maybe that we needed the depth but he may have made those comments before the other QBs transferred). Sorry I'm not able to look it up at the moment, does anyone know with certainty whether JB was told he could walk on or not?

Back in the late 70s when I played, I wanted to play at NU but was told I could walk on (which I knew would be the best they'd do for me anyway). I could have done that but decided to give it a shot at a school where I had a full-ride academic scholarship (which I wouldn't have had at NU as it was specific to the college).

JB could have easily afforded to walk on - so why didn't he? He was a legacy who knew the B1G and knew the QB situation at NU - why didn't he walk on?

Thanks!

So HCSF's comments came prior to the 2018 season, which we can see AM had the better season and looked to be more promising for 2019. Neither had played the 2018 season at that point so the only complaint people should have had back then was that he was a NU legacy that we should have at least offered (or maybe that we needed the depth but he may have made those comments before the other QBs transferred). Sorry I'm not able to look it up at the moment, does anyone know with certainty whether JB was told he could walk on or not?

Back in the late 70s when I played, I wanted to play at NU but was told I could walk on (which I knew would be the best they'd do for me anyway). I could have done that but decided to give it a shot at a school where I had a full-ride academic scholarship (which I wouldn't have had at NU as it was specific to the college).

JB could have easily afforded to walk on - so why didn't he? He was a legacy who knew the B1G and knew the QB situation at NU - why didn't he walk on?
Nobody is going to walk on to a school when they can get a scholarship to another Power 5 school.

Thanks!

According to a quote from The Sporting News who wrote the article,

"When Frost got wind Burrow was interested in transferring to Nebraska, he had this to say, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky."

Oops, sorry, wrong quote.

The infamous "you think...."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Thanks!

According to Burrow the only real scholarship offer he had was from his Dad's team who was coaching in Ohio. Shortly thereafter, he did receive a scholarship offer from some unknown Offensive Coordinator/ Assistant Coach at East Carolina.

That dude at East Carolina was Lincoln Riley.

Nobody is going to walk on to a school when they can get a scholarship to another Power 5 school.
Exactly! At least when they're in his shoes. So I think that boils any complaint down to the fact he was a legacy that had reached out to NU twice and thus may have been worthy of a scholarship offer for that.

I hope we all realize we are all talking speculation. None of us were there, we don't know what did or didn't occur.

For every, of which there are few, Joe Burrow monster success stories, there are 50 that are less than a success.

Stepp from USC to NU, no production, injuries and now gone.

Jalen Hurts get benched at halftime of the National Championship game, Tua takes over permanently. Hurts transfers to OU and takes them to the playoffs and moves into the league, just like Tua. That's what can happen when you play for a coach who is COMMITTED to winning.

As mentioned, Gebbia transfers from NU, faces injuries and barely plays.

The RB from Michigan State who transferred in from Wake Forest goes from a real good RB to a great RB in a much stronger football conference.

It really is impossible to speculate with any certainty, BUT, IF you're going to be successful in the Biden era, you better be able to change a narrative and then pretend it's been your narrative all along.

Exactly! At least when they're in his shoes. So I think that boils any complaint down to the fact he was a legacy that had reached out to NU twice and thus may have been worthy of a scholarship offer for that.
Not totally true.

Kurt Warner had the coin to send what's his name to any school he wanted to, and receiving a scholarship wouldn't have been a factor.

Thank you - yes it was before not after the 2018 season which makes Frost’s statement even more idiotic since Frost had no idea what he had at QB in AM or Gebbia

Last year at UT, Thompson ran the ball 55 times for 137 yds., avg 2.9ypc, 4 TD's and his long was 41 yards.

Last year at NU, Martinez ran the ball 133 times for 525 yards, avg. 3.9ypc., 13 T.D.'s, and didn't show longest run, but probably in the area of 70-80 yards maybe. Longer than Thompson's for sure.
One other piece of the analysis:
While not being used as much as a running QB, Thompson fumbled 3x and lost 1.
1 fumble per 18 carries. 1 lost per 55 carries.

Adrian fumbled 7 times and lost 3.
1 fumble per 19 carries. 1 lost per 44 carries.

Fumbling at a similar rate, but Adrian strung together 4 years with the other 3 all being a little worse than last year.
Thompson only had the one year with significant carries.

Adrian was our bell cow “top rusher,” and if you had a regular bell cow RB, he wouldn’t last fumbling as often as Adrian.
Ball security for Casey will be extremely important if he wants to stay in good graces with the fans.

I kinda like what I see from Casey, but he still has a lot to prove here before I’m sold on what he can be for us.

Nebraska is where good QB’s go to die if we cannot fix our OL and run game. Thompson will be no exception. However, I want them to be good so bad!

Nebraska is where good QB’s go to die if we cannot fix our OL and run game. Thompson will be no exception. However, I want them to be good so bad!
I been assured by pass happy fans since callahan we can out recruit the nation for pass blocking linemen.
fret not..

Thank you - yes it was before not after the 2018 season which makes Frost’s statement even more idiotic since Frost had no idea what he had at QB in AM or Gebbia
You are an idiot, Burrow didn’t transfer until May of 2018 , Adrian enrolled in January of 18 went through the spring just like Gebbia ,Frost is a first year coach,,so he should picks QB that had no meaningful snaps ,who buy the way was not heavily recruited like Adrian was ,and Adrian had a similar year stat wise (not win wise),he should take the transfer,Not a change pal!

You are an idiot, Burrow didn’t transfer until May of 2018 , Adrian enrolled in January of 18 went through the spring just like Gebbia ,Frost is a first year coach,,so he should picks QB that had no meaningful snaps ,who buy the way was not heavily recruited like Adrian was ,and Adrian had a similar year stat wise (not win wise),he should take the transfer,Not a change pal!

please point out where I said Frost should have taken the transfer .. “pal”. I said Frost should have kept his mouth shut rather than opine about whether or not Burrow is better or not than what he had - just in case, you know, the guy turns out to have one of the best college football seasons ever and become a number one pick and his guy turns out to be a dud and as a result the “you think he is better then we got” lives in infamy as an all time idiotic quote that will be mocked for generations

Last edited:
Reactions: bigboxes
please point out where I said Frost should have taken the transfer .. “pal”. I said Frost should have kept his mouth shut rather than opine about whether or not Burrow is better or not than what he had - just in case, you know, the guy turns out to have one of the best college football seasons ever and become a number one pick and his guy turns out to be a dud and as a result the “you think he is better then we got” lives in infamy as an all time idiotic quote that will be mocked for generations
And how exactly is Frost supposed to answer that question he was asked, Adrian was a Top150 player the 7th ranked Dual threatQB in the country, and you have a Backup who wasn’t highly recruited. When asked about a possible transfer,, how would you answer!

And how exactly is Frost supposed to answer that question he was asked, Adrian was a Top150 player the 7th ranked Dual threatQB in the country, and you have a Backup who wasn’t highly recruited. When asked about a possible transfer,, how would you answer!
How about .. “we are happy with our QB room but as with every position on the team we are always evaluating ways we can get better or add depth”

burrow wasn’t coming - the above quote makes it look like it was burrows decision rather than Frost laughing at the prospect of him joining the team

there are a million different ways that could have been answered and not ended up as an all time foot in your mouth quote

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT