ADVERTISEMENT

Carl Pelini and Literature

NebChicago

Senior
Oct 14, 2009
Was reading Carl’s Wikipedia page. Did you know he is a man of letters and graduated with a degree in English Literature?

when he’s not blowing coke and chasing that strange, this guy is reading Hemmingway and Faulkner

“1989, Pelini completed his bachelor's degree in English literature from Youngstown State University

He also has 2 masters degrees

Was reading Carl’s Wikipedia page. Did you know he is a man of letters and graduated with a degree in English Literature?

when he’s not blowing coke and chasing that strange, this guy is reading Hemmingway and Faulkner

“1989, Pelini completed his bachelor's degree in English literature from Youngstown State University

He also has 2 masters degrees
English degree at YSU ...aka remedial reading degree

We laugh, but Carl was a hell of a D-Line coach. Suh, Crick and others all have said he is the reason they did well. He's a scumbag, but dude could coach.

Well.... have we had a better d line coach since?
His chops as a D line coach were vastly over hyped due to Suh and Crick. He had some dudes to work with. Our D line coaching miraculously fell off when those guys left. Even Crick's production dropped off when Suh left.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
We laugh, but Carl was a hell of a D-Line coach. Suh, Crick and others all have said he is the reason they did well. He's a scumbag, but dude could coach.
Suh and Crick were being nice. They were good because they had incredible physical talent and motors. IF he were that great of a D line coach, he would be coaching somewhere.

Reactions: huntered
Suh and Crick were being nice. They were good because they had incredible physical talent and motors. IF he were that great of a D line coach, he would be coaching somewhere.
Um, no they weren't. They were dead serious and I have talked to them both and others on that line. THis includes into their pro days. Sorry my man but many of his former D-Line have credited him for getting them to the next step. He is very technical and really helped a lot of his guys out at NU. Still a scumbag, but dude could coach the DLine.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
His chops as a D line coach were vastly over hyped due to Suh and Crick. He had some dudes to work with. Our D line coaching miraculously fell off when those guys left. Even Crick's production dropped off when Suh left.
Crick's numbers didn't drop off in 2010 and he got hurt in 2011. In fact they stayed basically the same.

2009 (With Suh) - 73 tackles - 12.5 TFL - 9.5 sacks
2010 (without) - 70 tackles - 14.5 TF: - 9.5 sacks while becoming the main focus of the offense on the line.

You don't have to like the guy, but he was a good D-Line coach.

Reactions: huntered
Crick's numbers didn't drop off in 2010 and he got hurt in 2011. In fact they stayed basically the same.

2009 (With Suh) - 73 tackles - 12.5 TFL - 9.5 sacks
2010 (without) - 70 tackles - 14.5 TF: - 9.5 sacks while becoming the main focus of the offense on the line.

You don't have to like the guy, but he was a good D-Line coach.
I refuse to admit that anything about Carl Pelini was good. He crapped in his bed and didn't stick to his job when he did venture out recruiting. His D line recruiting (part of his job) was terrible. Fortunately for NU, we fell in to a couple of guys at camps without other major college interest or we would have been starting a bunch of walk on caliber DTs those last few years.

I refuse to admit that anything about Carl Pelini was good. He crapped in his bed and didn't stick to his job when he did venture out recruiting. His D line recruiting (part of his job) was terrible. Fortunately for NU, we fell in to a couple of guys at camps without other major college interest or we would have been starting a bunch of walk on caliber DTs those last few years.

Well, that is an entirely different conversation, but as far as actual coaching goes, dude could get it done.

Well, that is an entirely different conversation, but as far as actual coaching goes, dude could get it done.
I think that my point would be that Crick and Suh would have been just fine with a trained monkey as their coach. IF Carl were all that, he would be coaching with an NFL team right now. Last I checked, he's out of coaching.

I think that my point would be that Crick and Suh would have been just fine with a trained monkey as their coach. IF Carl were all that, he would be coaching with an NFL team right now. Last I checked, he's out of coaching.
Lol. You crack me up Dinglefritz. Never want to take that L even when hit with facts. I don't think it is Carl's coaching that keeps him out of the coaching ranks, but have no inside info on ole crazy Carl.

Carl took over as head coach at Cardinal Mooney last year, so he is coaching “somewhere”. His leaving IMO is what led to Bo’s tailspin at NU, Carl was the only guy on staff that stood up to Bo and kept him somewhat grounded.

Carl took over as head coach at Cardinal Mooney last year, so he is coaching “somewhere”. His leaving IMO is what led to Bo’s tailspin at NU, Carl was the only guy on staff that stood up to Bo and kept him somewhat grounded.
Carl was a large part of the reason Bo was in hot water years before he was canned. Coaching at high school does not validate your defensive line coaching skills.

Lol. You crack me up Dinglefritz. Never want to take that L even when hit with facts. I don't think it is Carl's coaching that keeps him out of the coaching ranks, but have no inside info on ole crazy Carl.
IF he were all you want to think he is, the NFL would have snatched him in a minute. The issues he had with chasing tail and recreational pharmaceutical use nobody would blink an eye at on an NFL staff as a position coach. It's telling that the only place he can find employment at is his high school alma mater. Over rated. Clap clap.

even men of letters need someone to help straighten out their longfellow.
giphy.gif

Reactions: tpmcg
IF he were all you want to think he is, the NFL would have snatched him in a minute. The issues he had with chasing tail and recreational pharmaceutical use nobody would blink an eye at on an NFL staff as a position coach. It's telling that the only place he can find employment at is his high school alma mater. Over rated. Clap clap.
Yeah I guess I’ll take Suh and Crick’s opinion on this one. Clap clap

ADVERTISEMENT