ADVERTISEMENT

Can we PLEASE stop the hand clap snap signal?

It should have happened exactly once. Jurgens comes to the side and tells Austin that its Cam's fault, but the Iowa sideline was clapping which threw him off. Austin goes to Frost, Frost talks to ref. Ref then watches for it and flags Iowa.

Should NOT have been made a public excuse.

again - I posted the rule - how was Iowa allegedly in violation?

Reactions: EdgeCat

the rule - as written - uses the specific term PLAYERS - the terms opposing team, sideline, coaching staff, trainers, cheerleaders or other do not appear in the portion of the rule book in question

Year 3 and opposing teams clapping is still dealing us fits...hmmm. That is a pretty major indictment on a certain somebody right there...Name witheld to protect the incompetent.

Reactions: oldjar07
the rule - as written - uses the specific term PLAYERS - the terms opposing team, sideline, coaching staff, trainers, cheerleaders or other do not appear in the portion of the rule book in question

Was there a penalty called?

Was there a penalty called?

no - great job by the refs of not overstepping their authority.

was posting the rule in response to the tantrums, whining and tears from the Neb coaches and fanbase

Reactions: WHCSC
no - great job by the refs of not overstepping their authority.

was posting the rule in response to the tantrums, whining and tears from the Neb coaches and fanbase
in your never ending quest to out-technicality everyone, you've posted and continuously reference the wrong rule. here's the one they violated, if indeed there was deliberate action from the opposing bench:

12-3-1: There shall be no unsportsmanlike conduct. This applies to any act which is contrary to the generally understood principles of sportsmanship. Such acts specifically include, among others:

(i) Using acts or words by the defensive team that are designed to disconcert an offensive team at the snap

while the foul in question did have to do with the snap, the penalty itself, as it pertains to those on the sideline, is covered within the code of conduct & sportsmanship section of the rule book. in the NFL, this is a 15-yard penalty. in the NCAA, it's a 5-yard dead ball delay of game.

I don't know if anything actually occurred, or if there should've been a penalty. I just know you've wasted a lot of time defending the wrong stance in this instance.

Last edited:
Reactions: leodisflowers
The whole thing is childish on all sides. Classic "two wrongs don't make a right."

Iowa clearly was trying to screw up NU's snap count, there's video of it. Childish. MSU did the same thing a while back. Childish again. But at this point you see people are gonna try to do it to you, so f***ing fix the things that are in your control. Don't cry to me about other people's actions and refs. Control what you control.

They got Cam ONE time which accounts for the early snap. Plain as day. But he also threw it at Adrian's feet, which is his own fault. I assume he realized mid-motion that they got him and he shouldn't be snapping it but it was too late and kinda just dribbled it back.

The rest of his two years of inexcusable snaps are the fault of Cam Jurgens. At some point continuing to put him out there when you know he can't snap is the fault of Greg Austin and Scott Frost. They've put that poor kid in a position to be hated by the whole fanbase. He is THE topic of discussion for two weeks now. Now you're not doing right by your guy by keeping him in a position to fail. If that kid isn't miserable he isn't human.

Same deal as if Tom Osborne had dialed up 35 passes a game for Scott Frost when he was at QB. Dude was a great runner and a poor passer. They found ways to put him in a position to do what he did best. You turn him into a pocket passer you're ruining his damn life.

Reactions: Seascout3
Year 3 and opposing teams clapping is still dealing us fits...hmmm. That is a pretty major indictment on a certain somebody right there...Name witheld to protect the incompetent.

that was a cold - one might even say frosty - comment

in your never ending quest to out-technicality everyone, you've posted and continuously reference the wrong rule. here's the one they violated, if indeed there was deliberate action from the opposing bench:

12-3-1: There shall be no unsportsmanlike conduct. This applies to any act which is contrary to the generally understood principles of sportsmanship. Such acts specifically include, among others:

(i) Using acts or words by the defensive team that are designed to disconcert an offensive team at the snap

while the foul in question did have to do with the sthe penalty itself, as it pertains to those on the sideline, is covered within the code of conduct & sportsmanship section of the rule book. in the NFL, this is a 15-yard penalty. in the NCAA, it's a 5-yard dead ball delay of game.

I don't know if anything actually occurred, or if there should've been a penalty. I just know you've wasted a lot of time defending the wrong stance in this instance.

that is the NFL rule book - does not apply to the NCAA

regardless, there is no mention of clapping anywhere to be found - so the premise is purely speculative

lots of clapping on both sidelines throughout the game - who knows the intent

was it for encouragement, to get one of their own players attention, to signal disapproval, or maybe the person in question was simply overcome in the moment with fond memories of their youth doing the hand jive right along with George Thorogood and the destroyers? -- one can never be sure

lots of victory laps over the summer in confirming a strict constructionist to the supreme court - if there isn't trust for some of the finest legal minds in the world to interpret a document written over 200 years ago - then how can we trust joe blow official to interpret the motivation behind a clap when nowhere in the rule book is clapping mentioned - they need to apply the text strictly as it is written

a complaint was voraciously voiced by Nebs coaching staff - it was taken under consideration and determined that nothing nefarious was afoot

Last edited:
that is the NFL rule book - does not apply to the NCAA

regardless, there is no mention of clapping anywhere to be found - so the premise is purely speculative

lots of clapping on both sidelines throughout the game - who knows the intent

was it for encouragement, to get one of their own players attention, to signal disapproval, or maybe the person in question was simply overcome in the moment with fond memories of their youth doing the hand jive right along with the song (the George Thorogood version) ? -- one can never be sure

lots of victory laps over the summer in confirming a strict constructionalist to the supreme court - if there isn't trust for some of the finest legal minds in the world to interpret a document written over 200 years ago - then how can we trust joe blow official to interpret the motivation behind a clap when nowhere in the rule book is clapping mentioned - they need to apply the text strictly as it is written

a complaint was voraciously voiced by Nebs coaching staff - it was taken under consideration and determined that nothing nefarious was afoot
disconcerting signal fouls are outlined in the ncaa rulebook under Rule 7-1-9 & 9-5-1d:

"Team B cannot use disconcerting acts to induce a false start by Team A."

pretty simple. again, I don't know what happened during the game friday.

I do, however, know exactly what's happening here in this thread.

disconcerting signal fouls are outlined in the ncaa rulebook under Rule 7-1-9:

"Team B cannot use disconcerting acts to induce a false start by Team A."

pretty simple. again, I don't know what happened during the game friday.

I do, however, know exactly what's happening here in this thread.

can a clap be construed as a "disconcerting act"? -- speculative at best
again - perhaps the referee was a strict constructionist and didn't feel he was within his rights to infer what a clap did or did not intend

play on

can a clap be construed as a "disconcerting act"? -- speculative at best
again - perhaps the referee was a strict constructionist and didn't feel he was within his rights to infer what a clap did or did not intend

play on
covers abrupt movement, signals and words deliberately intended to draw illegal procedure, so yes, a clap could be construed that way within the context of a typical snap count

it's also very rarely called regardless of the specific act in question

Reactions: dinglefritz
covers abrupt movement, signals and words deliberately intended to draw illegal procedure, so yes, a clap could be construed that way within the context of a typical snap count

it's also very rarely called regardless of the specific act in question

Is that from the NFL or NCAA rule book?

both, under unsportsmanlike conduct.

NFL - 15 yard penalty, NCAA - 5 yard penalty.

it's rarely called in either league.
That is because clapping is not exclusively used for offensive purposes in a football game. Clapping to get the attention of the defense has been done since the beginning of time by coaches. Nebraska has had this problem for years. Ya change coaches but not a cadence? come on, man!

Iowa fan take - I think the Iowa coaches were trying to do it on purpose to mess them up here and there. Not a good look for Iowa and the staff imo. Nebraska knowing that should have just changed the cadence since there are obviously no fans in the stand and you don't need the clap for crowd noise.

Reactions: TheBeav815
ADVERTISEMENT