ADVERTISEMENT

Can we PLEASE stop the hand clap snap signal?

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
Frost said in his postgame comments that Iowa was using the old hand clap "defensive signal" to screw up our offense. Imagine that. It almost entirely eliminates the opportunity to ever draw a team off with a hard count when you use that stupid hand clap. I think it probably cost us a game during Bo's tenure due to repeated false starts by our guys. I hate it.

Frost said in his postgame comments that Iowa was using the old hand clap "defensive signal" to screw up our offense. Imagine that. It almost entirely eliminates the opportunity to ever draw a team off with a hard count when you use that stupid hand clap. I think it probably cost us a game during Bo's tenure due to repeated false starts by our guys. I hate it.

No hardcount ever.

I hate spread offenses

We shouldn't need but 2 good receivers instead of 5 .

No hardcount ever.

I hate spread offenses
I don't mind the spread but get your ass under center some and use a voice cadence. The hand clap thing is just stupid IMO. IF it were great the NFL would use it. A good DE can watch that QB's hands and potentially get a jump on an offensive tackle. A tenth of a second is a big deal to a defender.

Steve taylor said the same thing dump the clapping he also said use the receivers to bring in the plays instead of the stupid hand signs and pictures I tend to agree with him
I agree with the hand clap thing, use a cadence for crying out loud. I don’t agree with subbing in plays though. If you sub, you have to let the defense sub.

Mich St

Reactions: headcard

Handclaps (I believe) are used to overcome crowd noise in a shotgun snap setup.

So with the massive numbers in the stands this year.............

• Haha
Reactions: TheNewNU
Handclaps (I believe) are used to overcome crowd noise in a shotgun snap setup.

So with the massive numbers in the stands this year.............
Yes. The clap cuts through the crowd noise for the OL. Receivers have to watch the ball.

Just another thing being over-thought and poorly executed. They've gotta get Jurgens out of that C position and slide him to guard. Kid should be a hometown hero and instead they're turning him into a pariah by making him do something he clearly can't.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Just another thing being over-thought and poorly executed. They've gotta get Jurgens out of that C position and slide him to guard. Kid should be a hometown hero and instead they're turning him into a pariah by making him do something he clearly can't.
I agree. He would be good as a guard. He does well blocking for the most part just can’t snap

It is amazing that these Iowa fans cannot grasp the concept of simulating the snap count. They act like the claim is ridiculous, but they are on video doing it. The officials told them to stop because it’s against the rules. They weren’t even penalized, just asked to stop. And here they are two days after a game they won, crying about it. You can’t even make this stuff up. The obsession is real.

Reactions: dinglefritz
It is amazing that these Iowa fans cannot grasp the concept of simulating the snap count. They act like the claim is ridiculous, but they are on video doing it. The officials told them to stop because it’s against the rules. They weren’t even penalized, just asked to stop. And here they are two days after a game they won, crying about it. You can’t even make this stuff up. The obsession is real.
What's amazing to me is that the refs have to be reminded of the rules. F'n B1G.

I don't mind them clapping and I don't mind the other team trying to **** with it, I don't mind any defense/coaches trying to **** with the snap count no matter how they do it...if the refs don't deal with it, that is just smart moves by the other team.

While coaching, I have yelled shit from the sidelines a ton of times, hoping it messed things up.

Steve taylor said the same thing dump the clapping he also said use the receivers to bring in the plays instead of the stupid hand signs and pictures I tend to agree with him

Well, that works if you aren't running an uptempo offense. Amart needs a lot more time than that. Maybe that little extra time will allow him to clear his mind of all tension. Calgon. Take me a way!

Last edited:
Well, that works if you aren't running an uptempo offense. Amart needs a lot more time that. Maybe that little extra time will allow him to clear his mind of all tension. Calgon. Take me a way!
Wow, great commercial reset!

Trying my best as an Iowa fan to be respectful and open minded on this board. For a moment, let's say that someone or multiple people on the Iowa sideline were clapping on purpose and it confused the center as to whose clapping he was hearing. What I'm not grasping is why it didn't cause an early snap but instead caused the snap to be high, low, left or right?

Also wondering the distance the clapping is coming from. Someone can correct me but I believe the nearest hashmarks from the sideline is 60 feet away. Throw in another 6 feet from the sideline that players/coaches can not stand in and assuming the person clapping is on the line of scrimmage it means the clapping is coming from a minimum of 66 feet away and most likely more if the ball is not on the closest hash mark. Is the sound really the same coming 66 - 100 feet away from the side as opposed to from a QB who is 15 feet behind the center?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Trying my best as an Iowa fan to be respectful and open minded on this board. For a moment, let's say that someone or multiple people on the Iowa sideline were clapping on purpose and it confused the center as to whose clapping he was hearing. What I'm not grasping is why it didn't cause an early snap but instead caused the snap to be high, low, left or right?

Also wondering the distance the clapping is coming from. Someone can correct me but I believe the nearest hashmarks from the sideline is 60 feet away. Throw in another 6 feet from the sideline that players/coaches can not stand in and assuming the person clapping is on the line of scrimmage it means the clapping is coming from a minimum of 66 feet away and most likely more if the ball is not on the closest hash mark. Is the sound really the same coming 66 - 100 feet away from the side as opposed to from a QB who is 15 feet behind the center?

Thanks!
It did cause an early snap. There is a reason Iowa was told to stop doing it, it is against the rules. Why in the world are Iowa fans so salty about this? You got away with it, you won. What else do you want?

It did cause an early snap. There is a reason Iowa was told to stop doing it, it is against the rules. Why in the world are Iowa fans so salty about this? You got away with it, you won. What else do you want?
I didn't get away with anything and I did not win anything. Perhaps the team I follow did, but I'm not entirely sure that is correct.

I'm just trying to determine if it happened and what effect it caused if it happened. I don't recall an early snap occurring, maybe it did. I also do not recall a referee seeing/hearing it happen and warning or penalizing Iowa but rather that at half time Coach Frost complained about it and the referees told Coach Ferentz. Again that may not be accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdgeCat
I didn't get away with anything and I did not win anything. Perhaps the team I follow did, but I'm not entirely sure that is correct.

I'm just trying to determine if it happened and what effect it caused if it happened. I don't recall an early snap occurring, maybe it did. I also do not recall a referee seeing/hearing it happen and warning or penalizing Iowa but rather that at half time Coach Frost complained about it and the referees told Coach Ferentz. Again that may not be accurate.

Are you trying to say the Huskers are not disciplined? Are you struggling to say that on another team's message board? Just rip the bandaid off. We know we suck. We also don't need you to tell us that.

Reactions: headcard
I could be wrong but is it actually illegal for the opposing side to clap their hands on the sidelines? I didn't think it was so if I am wrong let me know. I know you cant do that on the field or call out snap counts but that is on the field of play.

I could be wrong but is it actually illegal for the opposing side to clap their hands on the sidelines? I didn't think it was so if I am wrong let me know. I know you cant do that on the field or call out snap counts but that is on the field of play.

I believe your correct in a normal setting when their would be 60-70,000 fans but this being a COVID season and besides the parents there is hardly any noise except for players yelling and barking out signals and yelling PASS or DRAW..

It a hard clap too not an applause which KF was trying to simulate🙄 in his press conference “ is this tennis or golf..

NCAA rules regarding Defensive Team Requirements Under NCAA Rule 7 - Snapping and Passing the Ball

can someone point out what rule Iowa was violating?

Defensive Team Requirements ARTICLE 5. The defensive team requirements are as follows:

a. Each of the following (1-5) is a dead ball foul. Officials should blow the whistle and not allow the play to continue. After the ball is ready for play and before the ball is snapped: 1. No player may touch the ball except when moved illegally as in Rule 7-1-3-a-1, nor may any player contact an opponent or in any other way interfere with him.(A.R. 7-1-5-I-II). 2. No player may enter the neutral zone causing an offensive lineman to react immediately or commit any other dead-ball offside foul (Rules 2-18-2 and 7-1-2-b-3-Exception) (A.R. 7-1-3-V and A.R. 7-1-5-III). 3. No player may cross the neutral zone and without making contact continue his charge toward any back. PENALTY [1-3]—Dead-ball foul, offside. Five yards from the succeeding spot [S18]. RULE 7 / SNAPPING AND PASSING THE BALL FR-75 4. Player(s) aligned in a stationary position within one yard of the line of scrimmage may not make quick, abrupt or exaggerated actions that are not part of normal defensive player movement (A.R. 7-1-5-IV).

5. No player shall use words or signals that disconcert opponents when they are preparing to put the ball in play. No player may call defensive signals that simulate the sound or cadence of, or otherwise interfere with, offensive starting signals. PENALTY [4-5]—Dead-ball foul, delay of game. Five yards from the succeeding spot

[S21]. b. When the snap starts: 1. No player may be in or beyond the neutral zone at the snap. 2. All players must be inbounds. PENALTY—Live-ball foul. Five yards from the previous spot [S18].

NCAA rules regarding Defensive Team Requirements Under NCAA Rule 7 - Snapping and Passing the Ball

can someone point out what rule Iowa was violating?

Defensive Team Requirements ARTICLE 5. The defensive team requirements are as follows:

a. Each of the following (1-5) is a dead ball foul. Officials should blow the whistle and not allow the play to continue. After the ball is ready for play and before the ball is snapped: 1. No player may touch the ball except when moved illegally as in Rule 7-1-3-a-1, nor may any player contact an opponent or in any other way interfere with him.(A.R. 7-1-5-I-II). 2. No player may enter the neutral zone causing an offensive lineman to react immediately or commit any other dead-ball offside foul (Rules 2-18-2 and 7-1-2-b-3-Exception) (A.R. 7-1-3-V and A.R. 7-1-5-III). 3. No player may cross the neutral zone and without making contact continue his charge toward any back. PENALTY [1-3]—Dead-ball foul, offside. Five yards from the succeeding spot [S18]. RULE 7 / SNAPPING AND PASSING THE BALL FR-75 4. Player(s) aligned in a stationary position within one yard of the line of scrimmage may not make quick, abrupt or exaggerated actions that are not part of normal defensive player movement (A.R. 7-1-5-IV).

5. No player shall use words or signals that disconcert opponents when they are preparing to put the ball in play. No player may call defensive signals that simulate the sound or cadence of, or otherwise interfere with, offensive starting signals. PENALTY [4-5]—Dead-ball foul, delay of game. Five yards from the succeeding spot

[S21]. b. When the snap starts: 1. No player may be in or beyond the neutral zone at the snap. 2. All players must be inbounds. PENALTY—Live-ball foul. Five yards from the previous spot [S18].

I'm pretty sure it's the part you highlighted :rolleyes:

Reactions: dinglefritz
Well, that works if you aren't running an uptempo offense. Amart needs a lot more time than that. Maybe that little extra time will allow him to clear his mind of all tension. Calgon. Take me a way!
i agree but so far I haven’t seen any tempo on offense

well, small point of clarification. were the PLAYERS doing it? or was it the coaches?

And yes, I think that anything that simulates the snap count that can be clearly heard by both teams on the field should count, regardless of from who.

It's a non issue and embarrassing that our coach brought it up. He needs to take the ref aside and tell him to watch the Iowa coach. If the clapping takes place at the time we are trying to snap, that's a foul. It's dirty pool. But, it never should have gone public as that makes frost look like Calliou from PBS. It's kind of comical that our center couldn't overcome it.

It should have happened exactly once. Jurgens comes to the side and tells Austin that its Cam's fault, but the Iowa sideline was clapping which threw him off. Austin goes to Frost, Frost talks to ref. Ref then watches for it and flags Iowa.

Should NOT have been made a public excuse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT