ADVERTISEMENT

Can this staff recruit?

I know for a fact that Gebbia and Martinez were taking equall reps with the number 1 offense with two weeks remaining in fall camp. He gave both a legit chance and decided AM was his best option at QB. The next day Gebbia made the choice to transfer. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that Frost ran off Gebbia.
he dragged it out because he was afraid Gebbia would transfer.. when he thought the transfer window had closed, he announced his QB competition winner..

just because he gave equal reps doesn't mean anything.. Frost knew who was going to play before spring ball.

Frost promised AM the job when he recruited him. That is how he got his commitment here.

Had Frost managed the Gebbia situation after spring ball and named Martinez the starter then, it might have led to Gebbia staying, but the fact that Frost was playing him, made Gebbia's father come up with an alternate plan because at that point, they all knew it was a farce.

Frost can be the right guy without being above reproach.
He should come under fire when he makes mistakes. He isn’t perfect. Problem is, there are so many different interpretations on what a mistake is or is not, depending on how one feels about the coaches. I obviously tilt in favor of benefit of the doubt for the coaching staff.

You are about as level-headed as they come when it comes to posters... you don’t let emotion interfere. I admire that. I can’t duplicate it though.

For me, I would rather be an idiot in support of the coaches than a genius who rails on the coaches. By that I mean if I’m wrong and time proves that Frost sucks, I’d still rather be super-supportive and called a homer than a negative poster who was right all along. Being the way I am helps me sleep better. :)

didn’t say I disagreed or agreed. I think it’s just taken its toll seeing this crap happen for this long and it happens everyday. I’m staying out of the opinions part of it. I just miss the days we all chatted and talked about Husker football.

you mean when we were winning 9-10 games a year and people still bitched and moaned about Pelini. Or the year Riley won 9 games and those who disliked him bitched because he didn’t win 10?

im not sure what board you were on when everyone was around the campfire singing Kumbaya and there was some sort of love fest. Hasn’t been that way in my few years on here anyway.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
he dragged it out because he was afraid Gebbia would transfer.. when he thought the transfer window had closed, he announced his QB competition winner..

just because he gave equal reps doesn't mean anything.. Frost knew who was going to play before spring ball.

Frost promised AM the job when he recruited him. That is how he got his commitment here.

Had Frost managed the Gebbia situation after spring ball and named Martinez the starter then, it might have led to Gebbia staying, but the fact that Frost was playing him, made Gebbia's father come up with an alternate plan because at that point, they all knew it was a farce.
So Frost was stupid and didn’t know when the transfer window closed? That’s your argument?

He should come under fire when he makes mistakes. He isn’t perfect. Problem is, there are so many different interpretations on what a mistake is or is not, depending on how one feels about the coaches. I obviously tilt in favor of benefit of the doubt for the coaching staff.

You are about as level-headed as they come when it comes to posters... you don’t let emotion interfere. I admire that. I can’t duplicate it though.

For me, I would rather be an idiot in support of the coaches than a genius who rails on the coaches. By that I mean if I’m wrong and time proves that Frost sucks, I’d still rather be super-supportive and called a homer than a negative poster who was right all along. Being the way I am helps me sleep better. :)

agreed there. 100%. I’d rather support and back the coaches and be wrong then be that “other guy”. Makes life so much easier.

you mean when we were winning 9-10 games a year and people still bitched and moaned about Pelini. Or the year Riley won 9 games and those who disliked him bitched because he didn’t win 10?

im not sure what board you were on when everyone was around the campfire singing Kumbaya and there was some sort of love fest. Hasn’t been that way in my few years on here anyway.

lol great way to twist my words...loved it. Some of you guys just can’t help yourselves just like I said.

Reactions: zrob
So Frost was stupid and didn’t know when the transfer window closed? That’s your argument?
no, if you play it through, it's easy to see what was happening.. the other poster made it a point because I said that Frost drove Gebbia out, and in a bit of a twisted way, that is how I see it. There was a chess match going on there with this whole QB competition, and because it kept getting dragged out to exactly that window, it showed that each side had been playing the other all along. IF Frost had approached that whole situation differently, things might have ended up differently. That is my argument. It was a mismanagement issue by the head coach.

didn’t say I disagreed or agreed. I think it’s just taken its toll seeing this crap happen for this long and it happens everyday. I’m staying out of the opinions part of it. I just miss the days we all chatted and talked about Husker football.
Ive avoided it, the board.
But saw the coming changes and what they could mean to and for the team being discussed, but got pulled in by trying to state some of the obvious things people can also concentrate on.
I guess if it isnt so obvious to some,especially at a time we see the staff doing well in recruiting, I should have ignored it also.

lol great way to twist my words...loved it. Some of you guys just can’t help yourselves just like I said.
I’m not twisting your words. This board and most others have been the same since I can remember. It just depends on which side of the argument you find yourself. When the majority of poster thought Pelini was a dumpster fire, everyone spent their time bitching about what a hot head he was and a lazy recruiter and can’t stop the run in the Big Ten. As long as you agreed with it and posted similarly, I’m sure it felt like just chatting about Husker football.

I’m not twisting your words. This board and most others have been the same since I can remember. It just depends on which side of the argument you find yourself. When the majority of poster thought Pelini was a dumpster fire, everyone spent their time bitching about what a hot head he was and a lazy recruiter and can’t stop the run in the Big Ten. As long as you agreed with it and posted similarly, I’m sure it felt like just chatting about Husker football.

I wasn’t pointing any fingers to start. Just saying in general this crap has gone a bit far. We can’t have a decent topic without it turning to BS. That’s all. Maybe I’m giving us to much credit...

Cant throw if you cant,or everyones covered. Cant run if you have no runners. Cant catch if you arent open. Cant block a zone if youve never had to. Cant tackle if you cant get there in time.
How can you play as a team when everything above is happening all too often?

Learning new schemes arent automatic, being a slow 258 pound MLB wont get you to the hole in a 3-4 etc etc etc.
Recruiting to positions of need because the older players simply had different body types takes time.
No POB, because he couldnt run,right? So, get AM, get LM.
Thats reality, its where we started, a true frosh at qb with a walkon qb as back up. One decent wr, late reaches on jucos, and a walkon was the best of them.
This isnt year _teen whatever at iowa,we dont have next man up in too many positions being filled by some very high potential

Sounds like a really bad group of players then if they can't do all of that. They need some coaching. The point is still the same - the basics of the game remain the same, it doesn't matter if it is 4-3 or 3-4, spread or power I. There are technique differences but really, think about it - there are what a top 250 HS kids and they come from all sorts of HS programs going to all sorts of college programs and end up in all sorts of NFL programs. None of this is static and as a coach you work with what you have, its called development.

Sounds like a really bad group of players then if they can't do all of that. They need some coaching. The point is still the same - the basics of the game remain the same, it doesn't matter if it is 4-3 or 3-4, spread or power I. There are technique differences but really, think about it - there are what a top 250 HS kids and they come from all sorts of HS programs going to all sorts of college programs and end up in all sorts of NFL programs. None of this is static and as a coach you work with what you have, its called development.
And a 4.9 40 beats a 5.3 most times.
One guy weighs 210, another 230 and is faster.
Having guys not knowing other systems they often fall back on means theyll stick with it.Like rookies.
We saw Bootle throwing body tackles one game, not so much the next.
This isn't bad coaching, its unlearning bad behavior. That's my point.

Doing the fundamentals are fine until previous ways crop up, and system to system, they arent always a match.
Everyone complained when the entire line dropped for cut blocks, but worked wonders at ucf,oregon etc.
As SF pointed out, its the little things,and often those little things get left behind from prior learning.

This staff seems to be able to get talent to Nebraska. After 3 seasons with 4,4, and 5 total wins, we are trending towards another top 25 class. It's not where we or the coaches want to be, but I think we can all say this staff has a knack for getting kids to come here.

It will be interesting to see how well things go recruiting wise if we can gain some real in season momentum.
In a one word answer....Yes they can recruit. And despite what one poster said, I think we do have more than one good recruiter.
Biggest thing we need to find out is whether they can develop. Gotta give the staff a chance. Gotta have coaching consistency.

Last edited:
In a one word answer....Yes they can recruit. And despite what one poster said, I think we do have more than one good recruiter.
Biggest thing we need to find out is whether they can develop. Gotta give the staff a chance. Gotta have coaching consistency.
Imo, dev seen at O line, db,qb and rb.
Some at olb,hard to say about D line,switching coaches, but they seemed better.
ILB? Coach Ruud redshirted into injury backup, so more time is needed.

Imo, dev seen at O line, db,qb and rb.
Some at olb,hard to say about D line,switching coaches, but they seemed better.
ILB? Coach Ruud redshirted into injury backup, so more time is needed.
Cam Jurgens: recognized he could be a better center than a TE. Despite technical difficulties with high snaps early, he came on strong at the end. Lamar Jackson: Boatloads of talent hiding behind a lazy work ethic. They made a lot of good strides there.

A lot of development comes with game situations. You can tell/coach/drill someone all you want, but experience is really the best teacher.

Things like ST, tackling and the like though make me go "hmmm" sometimes.

This staff seems to be able to get talent to Nebraska. After 3 seasons with 4,4, and 5 total wins, we are trending towards another top 25 class. It's not where we or the coaches want to be, but I think we can all say this staff has a knack for getting kids to come here.

It will be interesting to see how well things go recruiting wise if we can gain some real in season momentum.
Count me N for being very impressed with Frost & Co recruiting, especially with the second season results to sell around. That being said, I will temper any enthusiasm until I see how they play against somebody besides themselves.
Frost and Nebraska have won the B1G conference off-season the past two years - even against Ohio State (was anyone giving Day much love over Frost?). The regular season, though, has been overwhelmingly disappointing, so I will skeptically wait and hope for the best.

Ur just a Martinez hater. The flaw to ur argument is he had a good year in 2018. Do u believe or have any insight gebbia was the better guy?

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Ur just a Martinez hater. The flaw to ur argument is he had a good year in 2018. Do u believe or have any insight gebbia was the better guy?
He would have won the heisman? If Gebbia was better, plus year two, better yet, he would have had to have won the heisman right?

Its just excuses for not winning imo. AM should be a different qb next year, things like this will once again disappear.
I liked Grays tweet, rome wasnt built in a day, dont wait to be a fan.
Anyways, cruitin is rootin tootin fun, too bad some are missing it.

The guy who replaced him might not be much better.
I think he's much better. We started a walk on soph and a freshman center who had never played the position before. By the time we got to Wisconsin we were moving people and they're all back next year;. We were I believe 3rd in the B1G in rushing with a banged up Wandale, banged up starting QB, an AWOL Mo and no deep threat at WR. That says your O line was doing something right. We HAVE to have better athletes at a couple of positions to be a really good O line and I think that's being addressed.

I certainly afforded similar REASONING with Riley's staff. He took over a spread option team and implemented a WCO. Then the brain trust headed by Eichorst canned Banker and brought in a blithering idiot to run the D and completely changed that scheme. It was a colossal recipe for disaster. Who knows. MAYBE IF Riley had been allowed to keep Banker and run his system we would have been okay with Gebbia at QB these past 2 years.
If Riley had any kind of backbone, he could have kept Banker. Do we really want a head coach who allows himself to be pushed around by anybody and everybody? Hiring Riley in the first place was a disaster.

If Riley had any kind of backbone, he could have kept Banker. Do we really want a head coach who allows himself to be pushed around by anybody and everybody? Hiring Riley in the first place was a disaster.
I agree that firing Banker was not a good look. I don't think Riley wanted to do it but was told he had to. I'm not sure what his contract said, but I suspect that Eichorst had removed the clause that Bo had giving him complete control over who he hired or kept as assistants. It turned in to a disaster. It MIGHT have only been borderline mediocrity IF he had kept Banker.

I think he's much better. We started a walk on soph and a freshman center who had never played the position before. By the time we got to Wisconsin we were moving people and they're all back next year;. We were I believe 3rd in the B1G in rushing with a banged up Wandale, banged up starting QB, an AWOL Mo and no deep threat at WR. That says your O line was doing something right. We HAVE to have better athletes at a couple of positions to be a really good O line and I think that's being addressed.
Two years in a row our offensive line doesn't show up to start the year. It was only an injury that forced his hand to play Farmer at center last year. This year it's 9 games in before our offensive line starts playing at an average level after having been poor all year. Austin has been a terrible coach in his time here.

Two years in a row our offensive line doesn't show up to start the year. It was only an injury that forced his hand to play Farmer at center last year. This year it's 9 games in before our offensive line starts playing at an average level after having been poor all year. Austin has been a terrible coach in his time here.
I'm sorry but I don't agree with your opinion of his coaching. Did he teach Farniok to have repeated false starts? Was he coaching Jurgens to snap it over the QB's head? Why did we have to start a soph walk on at guard? Was it his fault that a good chunk of Riley's O line recruits aren't talented enough? Meh. Jimmies and Joes. Get at least one quicker guard and one quicker tackle and we're in good shape. We ARE limited by the athleticism of a couple of guys FAR more than we are by their coaching.

I admit I've been tempted before to think the same, but then the line started gelin. I'll reserve my judgement until the start of next season. If we can't push Purdue around right away and start the year where we left off with the same guys with maybe a better plug or two, then I'll join ya. Until then, they improved and all come back next season. Looking forward to success at the position and hope some solid depth at skill positions can emerge. And that AM can be healthy and turn things up a notch with a receiver like Manning.

I am highly critical of Martinez and saw issues with him his very first year, and was only one of a few people who publicly stated as much on this board. I would have pulled him a long time ago, and now I question Frost and his decision making on continuing to start him.

The issue of how the supposed QB battle went down is independent of my criticism for Martinez. That whole thing there is a ding against Frost and how he managed that situation. I do not know if Gebbia was better or worse, but I believe Frost promised the job to Martinez to get him to sign with Nebraska rather than Clemson. There were little tea leaves that supported this, but I cannot prove it.

You can go back to my posts in 2018 and you will see how I posted things about Martinez that were red flags (to me).

I don't want to see Nebraska suck for 4 years with that kid at the controls.. we have gone through 2 years, so I guess it is 2 more to go.. and it didn't have to be this way, but this is why coach Frost is making 5 million a year.. and giving you all (the fans) the middle finger, because he knows what he is doing and everyone should be running scared in the B1G. (Sarcasm)

I am highly critical of Martinez and saw issues with him his very first year, and was only one of a few people who publicly stated as much on this board. I would have pulled him a long time ago, and now I question Frost and his decision making on continuing to start him.

The issue of how the supposed QB battle went down is independent of my criticism for Martinez. That whole thing there is a ding against Frost and how he managed that situation. I do not know if Gebbia was better or worse, but I believe Frost promised the job to Martinez to get him to sign with Nebraska rather than Clemson. There were little tea leaves that supported this, but I cannot prove it.

You can go back to my posts in 2018 and you will see how I posted things about Martinez that were red flags (to me).

I don't want to see Nebraska suck for 4 years with that kid at the controls.. we have gone through 2 years, so I guess it is 2 more to go.. and it didn't have to be this way, but this is why coach Frost is making 5 million a year.. and giving you all (the fans) the middle finger, because he knows what he is doing and everyone should be running scared in the B1G. (Sarcasm)
But here’s the thing... very few people agree with you. In fact, you’re the only one that I have seen on this board who says Frost promised it to Martinez and strung Gebbia along. The only one.

I get that that’s what you believe happened, but you’ve been saying this for well over a year and haven’t had a single person on this board support this theory of yours. That doesn’t mean you are wrong, but I think it does mean you are in the vast minority of posters who feel this way.

I don’t know what AM could do at this point to change your mind... it’s already made up for you.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Nikki is not the only person on the board who has said that or that believes it. It is just others have been shouted down and decided that it was not worth it. There are some definite signs that there are some players who were outspoken about the decision and they are either no longer in Lincoln or sitting the bench. That is not supposition. There are some problems with the team being of one mind and Frost is the biggest problem. As a coach you cannot continue to blame players in public for problems. He can you make comments like we have to do certain things better of course. However you cannot make comments as a coach saying you have players who are not giving their all or are not on the same page etc. He continues to call Riley players soft etc. At some point in time Frost has to realize Bo was right about one thing. When you point a finger at someone three fingers are pointing at yourself! One more thing on the Gebbia/AMart competition. Frost promised them early on in the competition he would take them aside and tell them both the results. That did not happen. A coach does not make promises like that and not deliver.

Attack me all you want for these comments. I can take it. I have been told I have been wrong in the past and will be told that again in the future. I am just tired of people being scared to express their opinions or thoughts on this board due to being shouted down! Have at it people.

Nikki is not the only person on the board who has said that or that believes it. It is just others have been shouted down and decided that it was not worth it. There are some definite signs that there are some players who were outspoken about the decision and they are either no longer in Lincoln or sitting the bench. That is not supposition. There are some problems with the team being of one mind and Frost is the biggest problem. As a coach you cannot continue to blame players in public for problems. He can you make comments like we have to do certain things better of course. However you cannot make comments as a coach saying you have players who are not giving their all or are not on the same page etc. He continues to call Riley players soft etc. At some point in time Frost has to realize Bo was right about one thing. When you point a finger at someone three fingers are pointing at yourself! One more thing on the Gebbia/AMart competition. Frost promised them early on in the competition he would take them aside and tell them both the results. That did not happen. A coach does not make promises like that and not deliver.

Attack me all you want for these comments. I can take it. I have been told I have been wrong in the past and will be told that again in the future. I am just tired of people being scared to express their opinions or thoughts on this board due to being shouted down! Have at it people.
So you know much of what you are saying is not true, but you are determined to continue saying it because????

Last edited:

If you claim he cant do this, then Saban may as well shut it down too.
While Saban doesnt do it often, mainly because bama doesnt lose that often, but he still gets on the kids even in wins that were too hard to get.
You say SF never discussed with them the results? Is this what he meant when he said he would handle it differently next time? Or, was that something else? Just curious, I dont remember him not telling the qbs first?

First step is a pre season top 25 ranking!

Oh, wait... never mind.

first step is always recruiting. Urban Meyer, Nick Saban and all those coaches have even said this much. So please, TRY and down play it...you’re just making yourself look stupid when you do.

Plus you guys (Iowa) have your own worries to worry about. Winning by a last second FG the last couple seasons against bad Husker teams isn’t exactly anything to brag about. Just wait to Frost fields a solid to good football team...can you say Huskers win in a blow out over Iowa...better practice it now because it’s coming....and I bet anything Frost runs it up on you D Bags....then blows you a kiss on the way out...GBR

Last edited:
Reactions: headcard

Most of what you said here is different than what I was talking about. A lot of what you said I do agree with. What I’m referring to is Nikki’s continued account that Frost never intended to play Gebbia, that the QB battle was a sham.

Maybe I am wrong and others also said that, but quite honestly, I don’t remember that at all. It was Nikki, loud and often. He also questioned AM’s leadership and abilities, which I know others have voiced their opinions on. But I just don’t remember anyone else saying Frost promised AM the starting position and then botched the QB competition.

I'm extremely indifferent toward this opinion. You, Nikki and the lot are posting into the void.

I will, however, continue to be delighted at your cadence when posting. Very disappointed this one didn't end in an exclamation point!

Well, I’m just gonna attack this post. It’s mostly all bs. And btw, who the hell is scared to express their opinion on a freakin message board. It’s a message board!!! What? Is the gestapo gonna track you down and come after you? C’mon, man!

Reactions: headcard

The funny thing about nikki is that he ripped AM last year the first half of the season. Then when AM played great at Ohio st and minnesota, he said he was just messing around. Then when he struggled this year, he went back to the I knew Martinez sucked all along stuff. There is no one here more full of shit than nikki.

Martinez was statistically one of the best players in the conference the last two years....Gebbia?

Reactions: leodisflowers

What if Riley's players are soft? What if the same guys who were laughing on the sideling of a 40 point loss were actually not bought into doing everything it takes to win? Nearly the entire 2016 class was intact yet we could not muster a single captain from that group and had to rely on a recent transfer and a 19 year old. Frost talks nicely about them but also uses the bully pulpit to point out that there are some B17C58$ as well...Frost is a champion...Frost has coached with some of the best coaches the game has ever seen. Frost has an undefeated season, a BCS bowl win. Frost has been to a multitude of national title games. He knows winners and he doesn't have them. What is supposed to do? Talk nice? Motivate? and then what? When your team is bad you take risks...and he bashed his lack of leadership and talent only after 40 point losses...a perfect time to do it.

What if Riley's players are soft? What if the same guys who were laughing on the sideling of a 40 point loss were actually not bought into doing everything it takes to win? Nearly the entire 2016 class was intact yet we could not muster a single captain from that group and had to rely on a recent transfer and a 19 year old. Frost talks nicely about them but also uses the bully pulpit to point out that there are some B17C58$ as well...Frost is a champion...Frost has coached with some of the best coaches the game has ever seen. Frost has an undefeated season, a BCS bowl win. Frost has been to a multitude of national title games. He knows winners and he doesn't have them. What is supposed to do? Talk nice? Motivate? and then what? When your team is bad you take risks...and he bashed his lack of leadership and talent only after 40 point losses...a perfect time to do it.
Give them their own personal safe space rooms.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT