ADVERTISEMENT

Can this staff recruit?

Well Alabama has had a tremendous amount of turnover of coordinators especially. Make no mistake though, Saban is as much of a control freak as TO was. That said, he's dictating systems and coaching to his assistants so maybe the turnover isn't as tough to deal with AND he's hiring guys who can coach what he wants done.
All true, and, to an extent, so has wiscy. But, whats already established isnt fully grounded here yet, and both Barry at wiscy, and Saban at bame had to set that foundation.

I've been sitting back here reading the latest postings....the biggest question I have is....why is it okay for Nebraska to pay elite coaching salaries for a "learn as you go coach and staff" that hasn't proven anything yet on the field (nothing good anyway)? Don't say "no one else would come here"....stupid comment.....for $5 mill per year there would have been an experienced coach willing to come here who would not be learning on the job as Frost has been doing. IMO....maybe results would be the same...we will never know....but could be/should be much better then what we have been seeing to date.

Before you rip me...I am not saying fire Frost or that he isn't the right coach....I AM saying that we are not getting our money's worth and apparently it 's okay that we aren't.
I love this post, for all the wrong reasons... please point to the posters who are okay that we aren’t getting our money’s worth.

Much of your post was fine, but to end it that way was a fishing expedition. I agree, for what we are paying, we aren’t getting our money’s worth. But I also believe Frost is the guy ultimately that will turn it around. Am I fine with 4 and 5 win seasons? Nope. That’s gotta change. But am I patient enough to wait for it to happen? Yep. If he doesn’t get it done, he will be gone eventually. But to say that Frost supporters (many on here don’t seem to be Frost supporters) are ok with losing is ridiculous.

If you’re fed up, you don’t have to be here, you know, it’ll probably just make it worse for you in the short term...

I think this staff can recruit fine based on the results so far. But honestly after this season I'm now wondering a lot more these days if this staff can coach. Especially in the B1G.

Well, who knows? But I bet any HC alive would have problems in River City when initially his Oline simply couldn't block anybody. Sure, they still have a LONG ways to go but it's easy to see the desperately needed improvement of them (like vs Wisconsin & Iowa).

So..we'll see. Probably nowhere near being a real-deal pipeline but if it keeps going the right direction.....and we return the whole Oline.....I like our chances.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
Just so happens, the guy who cares the most, not about his record, but about this team came in at 5 mill.
Now, if you'd prefer him to have been at Florida,well,thats just your opinion.
Okay....I'll go with that...so you are saying he doesn't care whether he wins or loses...and his only worry is his team....what has he done to show he cares more than anyone else who has coached here recently (except maybe calahan)?

Okay....I'll go with that...so you are saying he doesn't care whether he wins or loses...and his only worry is his team....what has he done to show he cares more than anyone else who has coached here recently (except maybe calahan)?
Wait and see, but you probably will be long gone by then...you’re too fed up with what’s going on right now. Next fall you will probably be going on bike rides and nature hikes during the games so you don’t have to listen, you’re so fed up with these coaches...

I love this post, for all the wrong reasons... please point to the posters who are okay that we aren’t getting our money’s worth.

Much of your post was fine, but to end it that way was a fishing expedition. I agree, for what we are paying, we aren’t getting our money’s worth. But I also believe Frost is the guy ultimately that will turn it around. Am I fine with 4 and 5 win seasons? Nope. That’s gotta change. But am I patient enough to wait for it to happen? Yep. If he doesn’t get it done, he will be gone eventually. But to say that Frost supporters (many on here don’t seem to be Frost supporters) are ok with losing is ridiculous.

If you’re fed up, you don’t have to be here, you know, it’ll probably just make it worse for you in the short term...
Oh please...what a typical response from you here....you're missing my point....we for some reason as a fan base are okay with him having two crap seasons in a row with the possibility of three.

Oh please...what a typical response from you here....you're missing my point....we for some reason as a fan base are okay with him having two crap seasons in a row with the possibility of three.
No one is OK with it, in the sense that we want or expect it to continue. Some of us are choosing to look at the big picture and practice a little patience, as this staff improving and being successful is a must. We really do need this to work, this time. You choose to piss and moan about any and everything. Which you must think is more productive, somehow.

I am not pissing and moaning here, I have never worn rose colored glasses about anything. I also find it interesting that on a public message board there are those on here who think if another poster doesn't have the same opinion as they do then they are wrong.

The only wrong opinion at this point is "FIRE Frost!"...which is just totally moronic. I happened to think the coaching in almost all areas of the game so far has been less than stellar. ...which should not be the case....and should have fans concerned. Talking about it is "pissing and moaning"?....no. Most of the frustration is fueled by HCSF and his statements...so I guess I should take his comments with a grain of salt as "coach speak".

I am not pissing and moaning here, I have never worn rose colored glasses about anything. I also find it interesting that on a public message board there are those on here who think if another poster doesn't have the same opinion as they do then they are wrong.

The only wrong opinion at this point is "FIRE Frost!"...which is just totally moronic. I happened to think the coaching in almost all areas of the game so far has been less than stellar. ...which should not be the case....and should have fans concerned. Talking about it is "pissing and moaning"?....no. Most of the frustration is fueled by HCSF and his statements...so I guess I should take his comments with a grain of salt as "coach speak".
There are only two options - fire Frost or give him time to see if he can turn the program around. Most of us are in favor of the later option and don't feel the need to create an account just to piss and moan on a message board.

Si senor - they can recruit and well. Just think of the possibilities if we had a winning record or a bowl game in a warm and sunny venue. Get wandale back to his natural position and Manning on the flanks and JD slicing through the middle with a few more sturdy RB’s who can survive the BIG10 and open competition next spring and this could get much better.

Reactions: timnsun
Read my post again... no one is ok with having crap seasons.

Some on here feel its there right to vent about the coaching and point out all the flaws, even saying things like we will never be good again...

Others on here feel its their right to say be patient, it will get better, trusting in the process.

No one on here is saying they are ok with losing.

Now, maybe what you mean is that losing is ok if the end result is a return to prominence... if so, then say that. I hate losing, but if it ultimately means we will be better than we’ve been since the start of the new century, then I guess I’m guilty as charged.

But no one is ok with losing just because Scott Frost. No one except Iowa fan, that is...

Reactions: huskrz1
Ummm, I'm fed up with people what iffing.
Show me where prior to being a coach on this team any prior coach was so fed up, they went public with it, because they care?
Next, show me any of those coaches prior to being a coach here that went undefeated?
I know you can't, and you've put yourself in this conundrum, simply because you look at next year as a failure for certain,or possibly.
What you've brought upon yourself isn't a qualifier for others to consider.

Read my post again... no one is ok with having crap seasons.

Some on here feel its there right to vent about the coaching and point out all the flaws, even saying things like we will never be good again...

Others on here feel its their right to say be patient, it will get better, trusting in the process.

No one on here is saying they are ok with losing.

Now, maybe what you mean is that losing is ok if the end result is a return to prominence... if so, then say that. I hate losing, but if it ultimately means we will be better than we’ve been since the start of the new century, then I guess I’m guilty as charged.

But no one is ok with losing just because Scott Frost. No one except Iowa fan, that is...
If u have played sports and been competitive your entire life then to lose sucks. Whether it is you or your team that sucks. Losing makes most want to win even more - hence why many come here a voice their opinion. Not to bitch but to hope for improvement so we can go to games that mean something in Jan again. Ready for another Fiesta Bowl blowout or Orange Bowls/Battle at the Beach, or even a Rose Bowl in which we get rolled.

Reactions: timnsun
....we for some reason as a fan base are okay with him having two crap seasons in a row with the possibility of three.
oh-a-straw-man-you-must-win-arguments-all-the-50084633.png

I also find it interesting that on a public message board there are those on here who think if another poster doesn't have the same opinion as they do then they are wrong.
It's weird how the guys who say stuff like this are the guys who are bent out of shape because someone disagrees with them. Just so I get it straight... whatever you say is inarguable? Otherwise, I'm still waiting for your numerous examples of posters who are ok with how things are going. Again: NO ONE is ok with the last two seasons. No one.

This staff seems to be able to get talent to Nebraska. After 3 seasons with 4,4, and 5 total wins, we are trending towards another top 25 class. It's not where we or the coaches want to be, but I think we can all say this staff has a knack for getting kids to come here.

It will be interesting to see how well things go recruiting wise if we can gain some real in season momentum.

Top 21, Top 15 and so far this year Top 23 (and climbing)...and all this with 3 straight losing seasons? Yes sir, they most definitely can recruit. Frost puts together a 8-4 record or better...look out. We may see a Top 10 class or better ;)

Reactions: bshirt73
It's weird how the guys who say stuff like this are the guys who are bent out of shape because someone disagrees with them. Just so I get it straight... whatever you say is inarguable? Otherwise, I'm still waiting for your numerous examples of posters who are ok with how things are going. Again: NO ONE is ok with the last two seasons. No one.
I didn't say what I post is inarguable....please learn to read....you're the only one bent out of shape buddy.....I said I found it interesting ...nothing more.

I didn't say what I post is inarguable....please learn to read....you're the only one bent out of shape buddy.....I said I found it interesting ...nothing more.
Whatever, I get it. You're the reasonable guy.... who created a new account in November named "Fed-Up". LOL.

I would say the feeling is mutual.

When you feel strongly about your position, it’s hard to see it from another point of view. Both sides are guilty of this.

To make matters worse, it can be challenging, to say the least, to interpret message board posts. I know I have been misinterpreted may times, and I have misinterpreted others many times as well.

Who were the known players? Warner? Hurt. Wandale? Hurt. JD? Hurt and playing hurt.
Seeing your teamates going in hurt, you can't work your way on the field and contribute?

They're gone for a reason.
I have no idea what you are talking about.. you quoted my post and started talking about hurt players, so I don't get where you made the pivot here, unless you quoted me and were trying to reply to someone else.

Throwing, running, catching, blocking, tackling, playing as a team are all still the basics no matter the plays and schemes.
Cant throw if you cant,or everyones covered. Cant run if you have no runners. Cant catch if you arent open. Cant block a zone if youve never had to. Cant tackle if you cant get there in time.
How can you play as a team when everything above is happening all too often?

Learning new schemes arent automatic, being a slow 258 pound MLB wont get you to the hole in a 3-4 etc etc etc.
Recruiting to positions of need because the older players simply had different body types takes time.
No POB, because he couldnt run,right? So, get AM, get LM.
Thats reality, its where we started, a true frosh at qb with a walkon qb as back up. One decent wr, late reaches on jucos, and a walkon was the best of them.
This isnt year _teen whatever at iowa,we dont have next man up in too many positions being filled by some very high potential

Because they didn't fit the system and were negative guys in the locker room......hmmmm.. Think about that. Frost ran off some guys who were negative forces in the locker room. IF the guys don't fit your system and they don't fit the culture, you're better off freeing up a scholarship spot to try to fill it with somebody who does fit with the right mindset.

Gebbia was the only one we missed IMO and only because AM got hurt. Roberts COULD have helped but he was lazy and didn't want to put in the work. Should have we put up with him whining about his position coach not being retained or should we have run him off by sticking him on the 3rd team on the depth chart? Methinks they had seen enough of his attitude. The rest of the guys who left? Meh. Did not miss them at all.
Nah, he ran off guys the he didn't think fit his system, but he didn't consider what that loss of depth would do to his offensive unit in the coming years.. he thought he could get away with a one man band (Martinez) which turned out to be a disaster.. Frost still has something to learn about managing rosters, players, and recruiting. If I'm grading Frost, he gets a C- , which is being nice.. but I'm not going to be the fan who blindly sees him as some savior of husker football when there is still some stuff he hasn't squared away and we look so bad nationally, that the rest of our season gets relegated to the BTN channel. He deserves some criticism here.

I have no idea what you are talking about.. you quoted my post and started talking about hurt players, so I don't get where you made the pivot here, unless you quoted me and were trying to reply to someone else.
The thread has moved, what was your post I responded to?
Give me that, then we can go ahead or leave it.
I'm not chasing things around five different conversations ago.
No offense, but I'm just not going to search.

The thread has moved, what was your post I responded to?
Give me that, then we can go ahead or leave it.
I'm not chasing things around five different conversations ago.
No offense, but I'm just not going to search.
I'm not going to concern myself with it then. Thanks

Nah, he ran off guys the he didn't think fit his system, but he didn't consider what that loss of depth would do to his offensive unit in the coming years.. he thought he could get away with a one man band (Martinez) which turned out to be a disaster.. Frost still has something to learn about managing rosters, players, and recruiting. If I'm grading Frost, he gets a C- , which is being nice.. but I'm not going to be the fan who blindly sees him as some savior of husker football when there is still some stuff he hasn't squared away and we look so bad nationally, that the rest of our season gets relegated to the BTN channel. He deserves some criticism here.
So, he kept Gebbia til the last week of camp, then decided to run him off, with a loss of an available replacement if done earlier?

So, he kept Gebbia til the last week of camp, then decided to run him off, with a loss of an available replacement if done earlier?
in a way, he did run off Gebbia, because that wasn't a legit QB competition.. he was just trying to string the kid along, so bad player management there

in a way, he did run off Gebbia, because that wasn't a legit QB competition.. he was just trying to string the kid along, so bad player management there
nope, that was good player management. freed up a scholarship for another contributor.

good luck to him running the scout team at oregon st.

Where did you read this? Why was he so mad when Gebbia left? Are there no losers in competitions? Are the people in those competitions able to live with the results? If so, then why was SF upset with Gebbia leaving?
Where was this conversation about Gebbia getting the shaft while AM was getting heisman attention?

Reactions: TopGun_
Where did you read this? Why was he so mad when Gebbia left? Are there no losers in competitions? Are the people in those competitions able to live with the results? If so, then why was SF upset with Gebbia leaving?
Where was this conversation about Gebbia getting the shaft while AM was getting heisman attention?
It’s something Nikki has stated from the beginning. Don’t try to change his mind, you can’t. Maybe he’s right, but I haven’t heard any other poster or seen any other source say this.

Reactions: TopGun_
It’s something Nikki has stated from the beginning. Don’t try to change his mind, you can’t. Maybe he’s right, but I haven’t heard any other poster or seen any other source say this.
it's only a fair competition if AM loses. otherwise, conspiracy!

I know for a fact that Gebbia and Martinez were taking equall reps with the number 1 offense with two weeks remaining in fall camp. He gave both a legit chance and decided AM was his best option at QB. The next day Gebbia made the choice to transfer. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that Frost ran off Gebbia.

I know a few former players that were upset so many guys went to osu west, didnt like the look, like someone was steering them there, including Gebbia.
I liked Gebbia too, follow him a little, but he left his teammates, late, without a qb backup.

Wow, imagine that...another thread goes south. Another thread about a complete different topic suddenly gets turned into BS, pissing matches and negative opinions. We just can’t help ourselves can we?

Wow, imagine that...another thread goes south. Another thread about a complete different topic suddenly gets turned into BS, pissing matches and negative opinions. We just can’t help ourselves can we?
Well, we recruited over Gebbia, are pulling in our top guys late, are in the 20s in team class with more to come.
Some just hate it.

Well, we recruited over Gebbia, are pulling in our top guys late, are in the 20s in team class with more to come.
Some just hate it.

didn’t say I disagreed or agreed. I think it’s just taken its toll seeing this crap happen for this long and it happens everyday. I’m staying out of the opinions part of it. I just miss the days we all chatted and talked about Husker football.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
ADVERTISEMENT