ADVERTISEMENT

Can this staff recruit?

This staff seems to be able to get talent to Nebraska. After 3 seasons with 4,4, and 5 total wins, we are trending towards another top 25 class. It's not where we or the coaches want to be, but I think we can all say this staff has a knack for getting kids to come here.

It will be interesting to see how well things go recruiting wise if we can gain some real in season momentum.
I think this staff can recruit fine based on the results so far. But honestly after this season I'm now wondering a lot more these days if this staff can coach. Especially in the B1G.

I will touch on a couple of things. How many of the 4 star players that made up the Frost transition class are even still enrolled at Nebraska?

For the duration of the Riley regime, there were constant “battles” on this board about giving Riley time to bring in players that fit his system and the amount of time he would need to develop players. To which the rebuttal was always, I mean always, well a good coach should be able to improve the talent that was already here and get them to play better. Why is that not the expectation now? If previous staffs were expected to take what they inherited and develop those players and still win, shouldn’t that still be the case? We have at least 3 starting OLinemen and 5-6 additional linemen that were already on the roster when Austin and Frost arrived, how come those players haven’t developed in 2 springs, 2 summers and 2 falls? Don’t give me the BS about being lazy and not wanting to work, the majority of those players were RS freshmen or sophomores when Frost arrived. If they weren’t buying in, you get rid of them like you did the others that you didn’t want around. Hit the JUCOs and recruit over them. My point is that if you can evaluate Riley and his staff on development based on his short stay, you sure as hell can evaluate development by this staff.

Along those same lines, I’m growing tired of the “his guys” are only freshmen and RS freshmen. His guys are the 150 players on this team.

rant over. Enjoy your Saturday
4-3, 3-4,3-4 rugby tackling,3-4 new staff.
Power spread, WCO, tempo spread.
Need more?

Reactions: dinglefritz
I think this staff can recruit fine based on the results so far. But honestly after this season I'm now wondering a lot more these days if this staff can coach. Especially in the B1G.

This is a fair criticism and I tend to agree.

That said, we went out and hired a young coach with great pedigree, but very little HC experience. As much as we may not like it, or may think as a true Blue Blood we’re above it, we’re going to have to endure a significant level of OJT from our head coach. That’s going to require time and patience. I think the OJT evaluation period is minimum 5 years and more like 8-10.

As a business owner and entrepreneur I can tell you my business didn’t really take off until 5 years in. I’m nearly 8 years in and the growth between years 5 and 10 are far better than the growth between years 1 and 5. I expect a team rebuild to be similar.

And, how many have gone next level? With those two?
Dont see the mystery here?
I don’t care about that, consistency the last two years isn’t the issue. Why haven’t Jaimes Farniok Wilson, Sichterman, Bando et all improved? If they suck or haven’t bought in, why did they not hit the JUCO ranks for replacement?

When I hear people complaining,I'm thinking depth,I'm thinking ghost busters.
Who ya gonna call?
They're coming.

4-3, 3-4,3-4 rugby tackling,3-4 new staff.
Power spread, WCO, tempo spread.
Need more?

sounds like excuses that weren’t afforded to other staff’s is all I’m saying.

or you could go the other way and to quote, at least partially, an old SEC coach when talking about bear Bryant, he could take his and beat yours and take yours and beat his.

I don’t care about that, consistency the last two years isn’t the issue. Why haven’t Jaimes Farniok Wilson, Sichterman, Bando et all improved? If they suck or haven’t bought in, why did they not hit the JUCO ranks for replacement?
So, our O line looked the same the last three games?
We rang up over 200 yds on wiscy,who averaged 80s at the time.
Finished third in the Big.
Were we young? Did we have holes in the beginning of the year?
Now, did they improve over last years line? Stats say they did.

or you could go the other way and to quote, at least partially, an old SEC coach when talking about bear Bryant, he could take his and beat yours and take yours and beat his.
Excuses? Name a staff that's perennially successful that doesn't have continuity?
Or, put it another way, why are the staffs thats been together so successful?

Is this an excuse from you to not concede this is vitally important?

Oh, and I'd put up this staff against bear bryants 5th year of coaching, see what wrings out

So, our O line looked the same the last three games?
We rang up over 200 yds on wiscy,who averaged 80s at the time.
Finished third in the Big.
Were we young? Did we have holes in the beginning of the year?
Now, did they improve over last years line? Stats say they did.

young? We started 3 multi-year starters.

We’re close, I think we begin to see improvements this season. Bowl game should be the next step!
Good grief, a bowl game should be be the next step? Matt Campbell mastered that in season two taking over Iowa State. IOWA STATE! Guess what - they had some attrition and busts too, but theirs was 3 stars leaving because they didn’t have any 4 stars to begin with.

Reactions: Husker Hambone
young? We started 3 multi-year starters.
How many starts with the other two? And ,why did they finish better than the previous years line.led by two seniors?
Yes, we got better with two rookies.
So, were those rookies better than Farmer and Foster, or did the three you're talking about have anything to do with it?

How many starts with the other two? And ,why did they finish better than the previous years line.led by two seniors?
Yes, we got better with two rookies.
So, were those rookies better than Farmer and Foster, or did the three you're talking about have anything to do with it?
And after next year they will replace 3 senior 3plus year starters. Will we be young again after that? The players are here for a short time, youth isn’t the reason we have had 3 consecutive losing seasons.

My watermark has always been 10 4 stars per class. That will get us recruiting at the same level as top 10 programs. We're at 7 now, 3 more and I'll be content

My watermark has always been 10 4 stars per class. That will get us recruiting at the same level as top 10 programs. We're at 7 now, 3 more and I'll be content

I agree. 9 in the 2018 class and 11 in the 2019 class.

For comparison:

2015 - 6 four star
2016 - 4 four star
2017 - 7 four star

So more 4 star kids in Frost’s first two classes than in 3 years of Riley. There is correlation between stars and top ten programs, and if that correlation holds true, then we’re doing the right things on the recruiting trail.

And after next year they will replace 3 senior 3plus year starters. Will we be young again after that? The players are here for a short time, youth isn’t the reason we have had 3 consecutive losing seasons.
And we will have Corcoran,and Benhart and Conn and Fritzsche and whomever else steps up.
Look at our ages vs wiscys on the O line.
First year, new system, second year, we ran the ball better. Passpro was night n day different from the start to finish, even with AMs struggles.
No, wiscy didnt start brand new guys.But, last year, they pulled one of their guys from their D line, they didn't look so good last year did they?
So, are you saying brand new is no different than seasoned players? It sure seems you're arguing your way into that corner?
The line improved as the season wore on, they outrushed last years line which had two seniors, yet you're saying there was no improvement.
And further, our two best prospects haven't played much,in Benharts case, and corcoran isnt here yet.
So, yes, they're recruiting quite well, the O line is improving.
So, is Mills better than Ziggy? Or, was our line better? Again, we finished higher in the Big this year than last.
AM had a crap year, we had no wrs. But, we ran the ball fine.

And we will have Corcoran,and Benhart and Conn and Fritzsche and whomever else steps up.
Look at our ages vs wiscys on the O line.
First year, new system, second year, we ran the ball better. Passpro was night n day different from the start to finish, even with AMs struggles.
No, wiscy didnt start brand new guys.But, last year, they pulled one of their guys from their D line, they didn't look so good last year did they?
So, are you saying brand new is no different than seasoned players? It sure seems you're arguing your way into that corner?
The line improved as the season wore on, they outrushed last years line which had two seniors, yet you're saying there was no improvement.
And further, our two best prospects haven't played much,in Benharts case, and corcoran isnt here yet.
So, yes, they're recruiting quite well, the O line is improving.
So, is Mills better than Ziggy? Or, was our line better? Again, we finished higher in the Big this year than last.
AM had a crap year, we had no wrs. But, we ran the ball fine.
You are wasting your breath with him. He doesn’t think Riley was given a fair shake, so he wants Frost run out of town in the name of fairness. He will twist, reframe, piss and moan until it happens or he dies trying.

I believe all of those guys have improved. Jaimes played with an injury all year. Farniok is athletically limited. They played better after they got the snaps figured out. Losing your starting QB to an injury then having your backup injured does affect the O line. You're singling out individuals when the O line is a unit and one or two weak links affects every guy on that line. You're turning in to a cynical grumpy old man Tuco...:Cool:

Reactions: 9and4
You are wasting your breath with him. He doesn’t think Riley was given a fair shake, so he wants Frost run out of town in the name of fairness. He will twist, reframe, piss and moan until it happens or he dies trying.
I think Riley was given a fair shake, he didn’t produce and he was gone. I just want the same standards held to it every coach

Reactions: tonyeg
Special teams really isn't rocket science. Awhile back people thought it was a waste of a scholarship for a kicker. Still think so? In theory it would only cost you 1 every 4-5 years if handled right because you'll get others riding his coattails until you see the void

It IS extremely important as we painfully found out this year. You just only have so many roster spots. I have no doubt that if Frost found a kicker he thought was a difference maker that he would us a scholarship on him.
We have a scholarship kicker but we were unlucky with injuries this season. Other than Adi Kunalic and Alex Henery, have we ever had two scholarship kickers?
Edit: Mauro Bondi and Drew Brown were on scholarship at the same time.

Last edited:
I believe all of those guys have improved. Jaimes played with an injury all year. Farniok is athletically limited. They played better after they got the snaps figured out. Losing your starting QB to an injury then having your backup injured does affect the O line. You're singling out individuals when the O line is a unit and one or two weak links affects every guy on that line. You're turning in to a cynical grumpy old man Tuco...:Cool:

Everybody deals with injuries. But as a Fanbase we sit here and blame players, former coaches, media, fans, everybody except for the people coaching the team. That has never been the case before. When we had bad seasons we blamed the coach.

I certainly afforded similar REASONING with Riley's staff. He took over a spread option team and implemented a WCO. Then the brain trust headed by Eichorst canned Banker and brought in a blithering idiot to run the D and completely changed that scheme. It was a colossal recipe for disaster. Who knows. MAYBE IF Riley had been allowed to keep Banker and run his system we would have been okay with Gebbia at QB these past 2 years.

Reactions: headcard
1. Still need to really build up depth at WR, LB, RB. Sadly need another 1 to 2 recruiting cycles for LB and WR.

2. OLB needs a major infusion of athleticism.

3. Need to completely hit restart on Special Teams philosophy, coaching, scheming, and evaluation.
This was one of the biggest disappointments for me this year. This was a disaster in every single aspect, from field goals, to punting, to punt coverage to return game. I do wonder with Dewitt being sick how much he was able to be around and coach at 100%. We need to see drastic improvement in that area next year.

Everybody deals with injuries. But as a Fanbase we sit here and blame players, former coaches, media, fans, everybody except for the people coaching the team. That has never been the case before. When we had bad seasons we blamed the coach.
SOME people blamed the coaches without taking in to consideration circumstances beyond their control. IMO, that's an unreasonable ignorant approach. Some of the criticism of Riley was ignorant and unjustified vitriol. He only had a few short years to try to implement his systems. Eichorst hiring Diaco was a disaster. Logically however given his college track record, it would appear that he wasn't going to be able to do long term what we wanted. Frost no doubt has made some mistakes, BUT IMO, we're WAY too early to be making harsh summary judgements. Frost's biggest mistakes have almost completely been making public statements that bit him in the butt. He'll figure it out.

Honest question and not trying to be argumentative. Do you think Frost is the right guy?

This was one of the biggest disappointments for me this year. This was a disaster in every single aspect, from field goals, to punting, to punt coverage to return game. I do wonder with Dewitt being sick how much he was able to be around and coach at 100%. We need to see drastic improvement in that area next year.
We did block some punts this year. Going through 6 kickers didn't help the FGs. But I agree ST kick coverage was atrocious and needs fixed asap.

I think Riley was given a fair shake, he didn’t produce and he was gone. I just want the same standards held to it every coach
I don't want the same standards applied. What would that look like? One more season and fire his ass? If it takes more time for Frost to figure out how to get better results, I'm fine with it. I don't want Nebraska on the same psychotic coaching merry-go-round that every other below average (yep that's us) program is on. I'm glad we've got an AD like Moos who has the balls and the spine to not listen to the lunatic fringe.

Excuses? Name a staff that's perennially successful that doesn't have continuity?
Or, put it another way, why are the staffs thats been together so successful?

Is this an excuse from you to not concede this is vitally important?

Oh, and I'd put up this staff against bear bryants 5th year of coaching, see what wrings out
Well Alabama has had a tremendous amount of turnover of coordinators especially. Make no mistake though, Saban is as much of a control freak as TO was. That said, he's dictating systems and coaching to his assistants so maybe the turnover isn't as tough to deal with AND he's hiring guys who can coach what he wants done.

Fair or not, another angle on the move from Riley to Frost was more about fulfilling destiny.

wait a sec.. the roster has already been turned over the last two years.. (that was no small feat) so most of the players here are who Scott recruited.

But the last two seasons have been a dud, and some blame it on the quality of players, but Scott recruited many of those players because the roster is mostly turned over.

Seems a bit like a circular reference.

So while on paper the recruiting looks ok, on the field it isn't producing results you would expect.

I wonder if there is an evaluation problem... except we have offered damn near everyone available.

I think we have 1 good recruiter, that's it.
Yes while 2/3 of the team are Frost recruits most if not all are at best True Soph. There is reason many successful programs have the majority of their starters as upper class men. It takes time to develop these kids. Not every Freshman coming in is going to be a Wandale Robinson and contribute year 1. The majority of starters were still Riley recruits. If in 2 years we are still sucking then we can have a serious conversation on Frost abilities to recruit and develop players.

I've been sitting back here reading the latest postings....the biggest question I have is....why is it okay for Nebraska to pay elite coaching salaries for a "learn as you go coach and staff" that hasn't proven anything yet on the field (nothing good anyway)? Don't say "no one else would come here"....stupid comment.....for $5 mill per year there would have been an experienced coach willing to come here who would not be learning on the job as Frost has been doing. IMO....maybe results would be the same...we will never know....but could be/should be much better then what we have been seeing to date.

Before you rip me...I am not saying fire Frost or that he isn't the right coach....I AM saying that we are not getting our money's worth and apparently it 's okay that we aren't.

I've been sitting back here reading the latest postings....the biggest question I have is....why is it okay for Nebraska to pay elite coaching salaries for a "learn as you go coach and staff" that hasn't proven anything yet on the field (nothing good anyway)? Don't say "no one else would come here"....stupid comment.....for $5 mill per year there would have been an experienced coach willing to come here who would not be learning on the job as Frost has been doing. IMO....maybe results would be the same...we will never know....but could be/should be much better then what we have been seeing to date.

Before you rip me...I am not saying fire Frost or that he isn't the right coach....I AM saying that we are not getting our money's worth and apparently it 's okay that we aren't.
it is WAY too early to determine whether or not we're "getting our money's worth". WAY too early. Ask me that question when this past freshman class is seniors. We'll know then.

Which top 10 programs?

https://nebraska.forums.rivals.com/threads/2019-blue-chip-ratio-national-title-contenders.244715/

This 50% Blue Chip ratio thread from August has a pretty good breakdown. I think 10 is the low level mark. If you’re taking 20-25 per class then between 12-15 need to be four star or better. I think we’re currently below 30% blue chip. If we can push that to 40% in the next 2 recruiting cycles then I would say we’re going to be a consistent favorite in the west and some top 25 finishes. Get a few of those then I think we are fully capable of pushing past that 50% mark to compete nationally.

Do you agree that Bo had effects on MRs tenure? Like no LBs? Poisoned well?
It didnt get better when all that backers left when SF got here.
The qb room, was TA a good enough passer to run MRs offense? Close, but wrong fit, but MR came in with no starter.
Both Gebbia and POB left, with only Gebbia being able to run SFs offense, yet, he recruited his starter, unlike MR.
MR had huge effects on the team, SF is fixing some of the problems that happened from those effects.
Happens under normal circumstances, but name programs who's gone through three staffs in 5 years!
And to remind you, if you find a couple, each one will be effected by this in their own way.

We all want it better

Just so happens, the guy who cares the most, not about his record, but about this team came in at 5 mill.
Now, if you'd prefer him to have been at Florida,well,thats just your opinion.

So, “don’t say no one else would come here” even if it’s the truth? Hell, even Frost was tortured over whether to come here.

Do you agree that Bo had effects on MRs tenure? Like no LBs? Poisoned well?
It didnt get better when all that backers left when SF got here.
The qb room, was TA a good enough passer to run MRs offense? Close, but wrong fit, but MR came in with no starter.
Both Gebbia and POB left, with only Gebbia being able to run SFs offense, yet, he recruited his starter, unlike MR.
MR had huge effects on the team, SF is fixing some of the problems that happened from those effects.
Happens under normal circumstances, but name programs who's gone through three staffs in 5 years!
And to remind you, if you find a couple, each one will be effected by this in their own way.

We all want it better
QB. QB. QB. QB. QB. TA was the only reason Riley had a winning season at NE.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
ADVERTISEMENT