ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone more knowledgeable than me explain why Stoltenberg and Freedom

My knowledge is simply this: I trust coaches who have been coaching the game for 20+ years over what I or you see in a few plays here and there. Maybe they are motivating the younger guys by keeping them as second string. Maybe they see more glaring mistakes that will cost more by a missed assignment, etc. Simply having the most strength doesn't necessarily mean they are the best option. Of course, I don't know any of this to be true or not - only noting that these guys are paid a pretty penny to do what they do and they've been doing it for several years. So I trust their decisions.

Reactions: Row80
aren't our starting DE's? Stoltenberg gets a good push every play and Freedom has some explosiveness!
BYU's O line was MUCH better than S. Bama's. Take their success against S Bama with a grain of salt. That said, I think both of those kids have a great future at NU and provide sorely needed depth this year.

Stoltenburg is a Defensive Tackle. His sack on Saturday came on a Line Stunt where he looked like he was coming off the edge.

And Freedom is basically starting now that Gangwish is hurt.

Glad the two of them look good. Not sure Stoltenberg quite has the mass yet to be an every-down starter in B1G play but he's almost there.

No guess how many of our current DL starters will be back next year, but both Stoltenberg and Akinmoladun could be starting for us in 12 months.

Glad the two of them look good. Not sure Stoltenberg quite has the mass yet to be an every-down starter in B1G play but he's almost there.

No guess how many of our current DL starters will be back next year, but both Stoltenberg and Akinmoladun could be starting for us in 12 months.
There is only ONE guy that MIGHT even consider leaving and he hasn't shown anything yet to make us think he should or would go. Valentine would be undrafted.

Doesn't have the mass yet? Have you seen the guy? I've seen pics where he is the biggest looking dude among the big guys. I've heard other reports that he stands out like a sore thumb because of his size.

Reactions: huskers360
Doesn't have the mass yet? Have you seen the guy? I've seen pics where he is the biggest looking dude among the big guys. I've heard other reports that he stands out like a sore thumb because of his size.

Don't know for sure. Roster says he's 265, I had heard he was closing on 280. Is he bigger than that even? If he's gotten close to 300 and has maintained the quickness he showed out there... he's going to be a beast.

Reactions: WestCoastCornhusker
aren't our starting DE's? Stoltenberg gets a good push every play and Freedom has some explosiveness!
I`m high on freedom. I think he has great talent and high upside. The incompetent prior coaches should have had him at DE from day 1. I don`t care how bad the TE depth was at the time

Last edited:
I don't think people realize just how good Gangwish is. The coaches love him because he plays the run so well. He is disciplined, which is why I am still stunned he chose to attack inside on the Hail Mary instead of keeping containment like he was supposed to. But Gangwish is good. He won't set the world on fire or be all Big Ten. But Banker defensive philosophy is stop the run. And Gangwish plays the run well. Freedom is going to be good. He is still green. But he is so explosive off the line. He gets after theQB and has a high motor. As I said in another post, he stayed home on a key containment play last Saturday. He has a little bit to go as far as stopping the run.

I thought last year mid-season on that Gangwish was as good against the run as Gregory was against the pass. Which made him at least as valuable against most of the teams in the conference.

Freedom brings some explosive pass rushing we desperately need to have available, though. Neither Gangwish nor McMullen are huge threats to just flat outrun the tackle around the end. McMullen, Gangwish, and Dzuris are all solid, tough, physical run-stoppers. Glad we have at least one DE with a different style. Doesn't make him better than Gangwish, but in certain situations and against certain teams he's a better fit.

I don't think people realize just how good Gangwish is. The coaches love him because he plays the run so well. He is disciplined, which is why I am still stunned he chose to attack inside on the Hail Mary instead of keeping containment like he was supposed to. But Gangwish is good. He won't set the world on fire or be all Big Ten. But Banker defensive philosophy is stop the run. And Gangwish plays the run well. Freedom is going to be good. He is still green. But he is so explosive off the line. He gets after theQB and has a high motor. As I said in another post, he stayed home on a key containment play last Saturday. He has a little bit to go as far as stopping the run.

I'm still not sure how good Gangwish is..... He plays the run just ok, and is not a pass rushing threat. I miss having the depth, but so far so good for Freedom. There is zero drop off from what my eyes see,

ADVERTISEMENT