ADVERTISEMENT

can someone more knowledgeable comment on the lack of

WestCoastCornhusker

All-American
Nov 28, 2005
pass rush, in particular, by our DEs. Also, are we to panic re: our run game? I am not panicking yet on the field goals.

Thanks

We do not have very athletic DE's. I don't see anything changing as far as pass rush from our DE's, they are freed up to get after the QB, they just aren't great pass rushers. Pass rush will have to come from the interior or from blitzes, IMO.

I am not as worried about the run game. It seemed BYU was committed to stacking the box and making TA beat them with his arm early, so our coaches spread the field side to side with short passes. We ran it better and more consistently in the second half. However, I would like to see more option, TA has a real knack for running it.

It will be interesting to see how Newby or Rose-Ivey beef up the pass rush game. We definitely need to recruit some playmakers there, and get that positions shored up. After rewatching the game, I don't think the interior did as bad as the reaction was. Was it an all american performance by any of them? No, but there was so push there. Just need to get free and make a few plays.

Lack of talent.

Agreed. Banker needs to use the speed positions to send blitzers from various angles. Our front four are not going to get it done. I realize this will expose us on the back end, but he'll just need to compensate with different coverage schemes.

Besides the OL, the DE position was arguably the most disappointing.

The DL depth is poor, and the DEs are the thinnest group there. We don't have an elite pass rusher in the bunch and we will have to recruit them over the next few years

MR knows way more than me, but I could see some 3-4 formations once Michael Rose is back. Maybe we can get Marcus Newby to rush.

I guess if your DB's are already in man it seems like you might as well bring pressure. Or mix up the back end looks...

Besides the OL, the DE position was arguably the most disappointing.

Coming into the game we really only had two "solid" defensive ends. And 1 is over weight and the other is now out for the remainder of the non-con. Maybe Freedom will surprise but considering the circumstances..I doubt it. For a program that was once considered "defensive end U"....it's sad just how pathetic we are at that position.

Our DEs had 3 sacks Sacks Saturday. Sure they could have played better.

But if they give us 3 sacks a game. I would be happy.

I would like to see Newby at DE on 3rd down.

No doubt DE is not a position of strength. Gangwish is a great Husker story from walk on small town Nebraska, but he is a good compliment DE to have - he should not the primary disrupter. Man, just think how nicely Drew Ott would fit on this team right now.

I think the run game is going to take some time to develop. OLines don't grow on trees and ours is very inexperienced. Its probably the one thing I'm most worried about, Cav will get these guys together eventually, but you just don't come out of camp and dominate with these guys.

Nebraska hasn't had a really stellar pass rush in years, I'm less worried about that. If the defense can limit busts and continue to bring ball carriers down and be pretty good against the run, we'll be ok.

Injuries across the board, and the rate of gel among the OL I think are the two critical factors this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT