ADVERTISEMENT

Can Nebraska football...

Hell, I'd settle for above average at this point. This team is gutless and won't make a bowl.

Hell, I'd settle for above average at this point. This team is gutless and won't make a bowl.

I look down our schedule and see doom and gloom. Then I try to tell myself I’m being a Debbie Downer. But I look at OSU, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Iowa and I see 4 losses. That would be a total of 5 losses on the season and I could make a case for losses to Purdue and Minny. Right now I’m thinking we finish anywhere from 5-7 to 7-5.

I said 8-4 probably now 7-5, at least I’m old enough to have witnessed the great Nebraska teams, I’m beginning to believe we’re destined to be mediocre to little about average until I’m proven wrong, I just don’t see it anytime soon

Reactions: jenbaggins
Probably not with Scott Frost. His coaching today was pathetic. This is what happens when you hire all your friends from UCF. It is one thing to coach at UCF but now you are coaching in the BIG. How in the world do you use up a time out starting the 2nd half??? I knew the game was lost right there.

Reactions: RedMyMind
It just takes a really good HC. They have to be dynamic, excell at several things at once. They have to have talent recuiting, and inspiring their team every day. They have to know who to get coaching under them and the ability to convince them to.

I look down our schedule and see doom and gloom. Then I try to tell myself I’m being a Debbie Downer. But I look at OSU, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Iowa and I see 4 losses. That would be a total of 5 losses on the season and I could make a case for losses to Purdue and Minny. Right now I’m thinking we finish anywhere from 5-7 to 7-5.
Don't forget Maryland....they looked impressive today against Syracuse

Depends on definition of great. 90s was a statistical anomaly that took OU, Texas and a bunch of others being down for us to capitalize. In theory, it was amazing we were that good. Population has shifted south so northern teams will struggle for the foreseeable future. Need the sea level to rise and flood the south..

Yes.

But the recruiting needs to pick up. Especially on defense. Chinander needs all the help he can get. This staff is proving they just can’t out X’s and O’s the opposition.

How in the world do you use up a time out starting the 2nd half??? I knew the game was lost right there.
That is some incredible foresight. You are tuned into to some kind of psychic field the rest of us are unable to perceive. Use your gift well.

I had to bump my thread. This was in week 2, and I think things look even bleaker 8 weeks later.

Reactions: Winston Smith 84
Bring Pelini 9 wins back? RollingLaugh

I really believe Pelini 9 win average would have ended as well. The Big 10 is better now then when the Huskers first became a member. Bo beat Penn State, Wisconsin, Ohio State and Michigan. No way he beats them now. Minnesota and Purdue are better. Hell Indiana and Illinois might be better, too. Only Michigan State and maybe Northwestern are still the same or worse. Sad, but the Huskers are now lumped in with them along with Rutgers and Maryland. The Big 10's old guard have to be enjoying this.

Don't understand the poor recruiting of the OL and DL. I see your skill players as above average but your OL seems slow and not very talented. Hard to sustain drives without good trench players.

Probably not with Scott Frost. His coaching today was pathetic. This is what happens when you hire all your friends from UCF. It is one thing to coach at UCF but now you are coaching in the BIG. How in the world do you use up a time out starting the 2nd half??? I knew the game was lost right there.

UCF would absolutely trash us right now

Don't understand the poor recruiting of the OL and DL. I see your skill players as above average but your OL seems slow and not very talented. Hard to sustain drives without good trench players.

You aren’t wrong, we have a converted freshman TE playing center, we have a RT that should be playing at guard, our guards have been subpar. Honestly we have been okay in pass protection until teams blitz, but Frost insists on pulling linemen and complex plays when we can’t even execute the basics.

I don't think so. Unless we bring in a coach like Bob Devaney to change the culture of Nebraska Football. This finesse Football is pathetic. Coaching Staff and Head Coach are below average. Nebraska Football deserves better.

I really believe Pelini 9 win average would have ended as well. The Big 10 is better now then when the Huskers first became a member. Bo beat Penn State, Wisconsin, Ohio State and Michigan. No way he beats them now. Minnesota and Purdue are better. Hell Indiana and Illinois might be better, too. Only Michigan State and maybe Northwestern are still the same or worse. Sad, but the Huskers are now lumped in with them along with Rutgers and Maryland. The Big 10's old guard have to be enjoying this.

Nebraska was better then. It's not a fluke that Pelini was a 9-3 coach in the big 12 and stayed that in the big 10. He drove them hard, and his teams overachieved. This team underachieves, so far.

I’m don’t think so. I am a fan of another school, but I’m not here to talk crap. I loved watching Nebraska as a teenager in the 90’s. I was an offensive lineman and loved lifting and considered the Husker lineman of that era my idols. Dudes all jacked up, and not fat, I though nobody was cooler. Nobody was more badass to me than Nebraska offensive lineman.

These days I think it will be extremely difficult for you guys to return to perennial nation powers. I think you can still be good to very good, perhaps just like Wisconsin, but that is perhaps your ceiling. Personally I would rather Nebraska be one of the top programs rather than those southern schools, but not sure it will happen again. I feel for you guys.

I don't think so. Unless we bring in a coach like Bob Devaney to change the culture of Nebraska Football. This finesse Football is pathetic. Coaching Staff and Head Coach are below average. Nebraska Football deserves better.

In all due respect, who in College Football resembles Bob Devaney today?

Different time, different era. Scholarship limits were a whole different era back in Bob's day.

Can't stockpile talent like that today.

ever be great again. This has been on my mind for a few years now, and comes to mind again after this loss today.
Need to find athletic players that want to be great, for the sake of being great. Those that want to be "shown love" as recruits, interested solely in getting to the League...not the ticket.

Nebraska was better then. It's not a fluke that Pelini was a 9-3 coach in the big 12 and stayed that in the big 10. He drove them hard, and his teams overachieved. This team underachieves, so far.
HAHAHA HAHAHA. Surely you can't be that dumb. You only say that because he owned you.

You got rid of a coach that was putting together 9-3 seasons and was not of the "Husker" culture and brought back the heralded savior who was coming back to "restore the order". It's only his second season back. Rome wasn't built in a day!

ever be great again. This has been on my mind for a few years now, and comes to mind again after this loss today.

Yes, and if it worked at UCF it will work here. I see two explanations but I'm not football savy enough to know which is the problem. 1) I think we have big guys that aren't fast and fast guys that aren't big, and when you play in the big ten that isn't enough, even if they are lifting a lot of weight. 2) There is an alarming ability of opponents to score at will against us late in the 4th quarter. Now we know they are lifting a lot of weights, and are well conditioned, so this falls into the realm of out-coached. According to coach/analyst Urban Meyer we are playing a very complicated defense. Either Frost lost one or two position coaches on def that were critical to teaching the def or they weren't playing this complicated of a def at UCF, ...or it could be that one of the schemes just demands to be executed faster than these athletes can manage.

Do you remember the years when (Nebraska saint) coach McCartney was figuring out how to coach the 4-3? It seemed like it was 5 years that Osborne put most of the best recruits on the def and they were running around like chickens with their heads cut off, as the other team scored. Osborne used to let McCartney explain the loss in these situations. It was a rough 5 years, but then they finally figured out how to teach the kids to make the reads and those fantastic athletes were converging on the ball carrier fast, real fast.

Well, we haven't got 5 years, because we've sucked for too long, so they need to cut out the part of the 4 or 5 scheme ultra complicated def that has all of the holes in it. It should have been done two weeks ago. Naturally the players all know which scheme(s) from the def fails to work, ...so in the 4th quarter when the opponents start attacking in a manner to force them into that scheme their intensity falls off because they know, it ain't going to work.

It also wouldn't hurt if they played which ever qb is hitting above 60% in passing all the time. Then there's this: If we don't have over 10 yards to go it must not be 3rd down yet. It would seem that if there are 2 or 3 guys converging on our receiver that's out wide laterally, that 15yds down field someone else is probably wide open. Duuuu, nay, let's loose 6 yards to make 3rd down interesting. I don't know if that's the coaches or Martinez's fault, and it doesn't matter it's a team sport. It just can not be 3rd and 12, or more, 3 or 4 times in every series.

Sidney in Chandler AZ

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT