ADVERTISEMENT

Can Frost save his job?

Oct 20, 2004
I’ll preface this by saying I’m an Iowa State fan. I’m just curious where your fan base is at with this.

What would it take for you to be ok with Frost coming back next year? Would a bowl game be enough? Seven or eight wins? Does beating Oklahoma or maybe pulling an upset over Michigan factor in?

I could be wrong, but my guess is that the Oklahoma game is his last real shot to re-energize your fan base and maybe save his job. If he loses that, it’s probably just a waiting game unless he puts together a winning streak.

He can, he hasn't shown the ability to do it though. Only longshot bettors on the Frost train at this point.

I’ll preface this by saying I’m an Iowa State fan. I’m just curious where your fan base is at with this.

What would it take for you to be ok with Frost coming back next year? Would a bowl game be enough? Seven or eight wins? Does beating Oklahoma or maybe pulling an upset over Michigan factor in?

I could be wrong, but my guess is that the Oklahoma game is his last real shot to re-energize your fan base and maybe save his job. If he loses that, it’s probably just a waiting game unless he puts together a winning streak.
Most below average and above football programs - no. With the delusional Nebraska fan base, there is a good chance that they would retain him and lobby for a raise if he snuck out 6 wins citing 100% improvement.

Getting to the B1G CCG and making a game of it, or winning it, and also looking competitive, or winning, a bowl game would make me ok with retaining Frost. I would still live in fear every future game over what mind-numbingly dumb decision he might make, like yesterday's onside kick, but oh well.

Good luck this year, Cyclone.

Reactions: RedMyMind

It's a dilemma. You never root against your team and hope that they tank.

But, he has to go. His ceiling is middle of the pack in our weak-ass division. So let's stop wasting time

If his team somehow finds a way to go 8-3 the rest of the way, he probably retains his job.

It would be difficult to rationalize keeping a coach after he went 3-9, then turn around and fire him when he goes 8-4 the next year.

Reactions: headcard
No question SF has to beat some teams he hasn’t beaten like Wisconsin and Ioway and even beating teams like Oklahoma or Michigan would help his cause but what have we seen from him that he can be capable winning these games..

Our defensive and offensive lines have a long way too go before we can get back to winning football team..

If his team somehow finds a way to go 8-3 the rest of the way, he probably retains his job.

It would be difficult to rationalize keeping a coach after he went 3-9, then turn around and fire him when he goes 8-4 the next year.
That is sound logic. Most cases I'd say absolutely true. Don't forget you guys fired Bo Pelini after going 9-3! Your team was beat up all season. I watched a very injury plagued Husker team come into Kinnick Stadium with a Kenny Bell that would have ran a 5.something 40 that day. Down 10 in the 4th quarter. Only to fight back and win, to get 9 wins on the season. Only to get fired the next day! What was his worst record in a season at Nebraska? One of the worst decisions in all of sports was firing Pelini. The sad fact for you guys is that you are still paying the consequences of that horrific decision. To be fair. Multiple horrible coaching mistakes by Iowa (at home again no less) vs Wisconsin in 2010 hurt us for a decade.

Reactions: Dylman
I’m in the camp where you wish the local kid, former player, and last Nebraska National Championship QB would succeed.

But unfortunately he is in over his head. It is sad because he is emotionally attached to this place. Also probably because he wants it so badly that he makes these boneheaded decisions during the game that put us in really bad spots and end up losing the game most times.

I think his train has come off the tracks to the point where it is too late. I foresee him stepping down regardless of what happens.

Last edited:
Let's me completely honest for a change around here and answer a few questions.

How good is Nrothwestern? We stomped them last year they ran over us this year when we were "supposed" to be better and by all accounts, they were not.

Given that, what are our chances against much better teams? Discount and play the what if game but we haven't been able to beat the Purdue Minnesota, or Wisconsin much less OU and Michigan.

We were just rolled by Northwestern with no apparent answer to anything they did. Let it sink in

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Let's me completely honest for a change around here and answer a few questions.

How good is Nrothwestern? We stomped them last year they ran over us this year when we were "supposed" to be better and by all accounts, they were not.

Given that, what are our chances against much better teams? Discount and play the what if game but we haven't been able to beat the Purdue Minnesota, or Wisconsin much less OU and Michigan.

We were just rolled by Northwestern with no apparent answer to anything they did. Let it sink in
Add in that we have a statue for a QB and rush ends that literally can't get near the QB...should be a fun season!

That is sound logic. Most cases I'd say absolutely true. Don't forget you guys fired Bo Pelini after going 9-3! Your team was beat up all season. I watched a very injury plagued Husker team come into Kinnick Stadium with a Kenny Bell that would have ran a 5.something 40 that day. Down 10 in the 4th quarter. Only to fight back and win, to get 9 wins on the season. Only to get fired the next day! What was his worst record in a season at Nebraska? One of the worst decisions in all of sports was firing Pelini. The sad fact for you guys is that you are still paying the consequences of that horrific decision. To be fair. Multiple horrible coaching mistakes by Iowa (at home again no less) vs Wisconsin in 2010 hurt us for a decade.
If Bo could control his mouth and wasn’t a raging psycho then he may still be coach at Nebraska.

Yes winning 9 games is better than Riley and certainly better than Frost but none of wins were of any significance and the losses were blowouts. The wins and losses were like Bo himself (Bi-polar).

Reactions: RedMyMind
I’m in the camp where you wish the local kid, former player, and last Nebraska National Championship QB would succeed.

But unfortunately he is in over his head. It is sad because he is emotionally attached to this place. Also probably because he wants it so badly that he makes these boneheaded decisions during the game that put us in really bad spots and end up losing the game most times.

I think his train has come off the tracks to the point where it is too late. I foresee him stepping down regardless of what happens.
We have to be realistic. Forget for a minute, the wins, losses and incompetence.

Scott is a 47 year old man. In coaching circles, just like in life, he would be a total idiot to leave any contract money on the table. No way in the world would any of us compromise our financial future just by resigning or stepping down, regardless of how brutal it might get.

Even if he doesn't think he owes it to the University, or boosters, or the fan base, he owes financial stability to his family.

Every time NU manages to lose a winnable game, Frost's fan support has to drop even more. Yes, there will be pockets of "Frost forever", if that's the case, no point in trying to dissuade any of them, each of us have the right to our own opinions.

If you do a simple math exercise, it's apparent Frost has and will cost himself MILLIONS in future earning based on this failure in Lincoln. The guy who was the hot commodity has agreed to take a 1 Million dollar a year cut in pay, just to remain in a position.

Once this gig in Lincoln ends for Frost, what will be his next coaching job? Head Coach at an AAC school for less than half the money? Probably not. Maybe OC at an AAC school at a million year would be more than most make at that G5 level.

No doubt, somewhere in Frost's future will be another HC job. Look at Brady Hoke, Rich Rodriguez, Butch Jones, and a bunch of former failed HC's at big schools. Those type jobs at San Diego State, Arkansas State, etc are paying about 1.7M a year. Don't get me wrong, 1.7M can still pay the bills and then some.

NU would likely never get a Matt Roule if he flames out in the NFL making 8.5M a year.

A guy like Tom Herman was making 5M a year at Texas, and might be available at 2.5-3M a year with incentives for winning.

Dave Aranda is only making 2.5Mil a year at Baylor.

Either NU goes big with proven winners like Meyer, Ruhle, Aranda and a couple others, or NU takes one of those former HC's who previously flamed out. If NU is ever going to return to being a relevant factor in college football, tossing money at the right guy is the only way to go.

Granted, based on winning football, NU has a totally broken football program. But, the minute a guy like Meyer, Aranda or Ruhle would be hired the college football world would know NU IS serious about trying to turn this thing around.

A routine hire of Klieman, and those middle of the road guys won't say shit about this program being serious.

Just my opinion. NU, assuming Frost is let go, cannot afford another miss at Head Coach. NU is dangling by a thread for the last 2 decades and continue to fall deeper and deeper into the likes of being a non Top 50 team.

Last edited:
remember we had the best practice of the year last week and the kid's are dialed in.

Miracles happen all the time. Even when you're not praying for then.

We have to be realistic. Forget for a minute, the wins, losses and incompetence.

Scott is a 47 year old man. In coaching circles, just like in life, he would be a total idiot to leave any contract money on the table. No way in the world would any of us compromise our financial future just by resigning or stepping down, regardless of how brutal it might get.

Even if he doesn't think he owes it to the University, or boosters, or the fan base, he owes financial stability to his family.

Every time NU manages to lose a winnable game, Frost's fan support has to drop even more. Yes, there will be pockets of "Frost forever", if that's the case, no point in trying to dissuade any of them, each of us have the right to our own opinions.

If you do a simple math exercise, it's apparent Frost has and will cost himself MILLIONS in future earning based on this failure in Lincoln. The guy who was the hot commodity has agreed to take a 1 Million dollar a year cut in pay, just to remain in a position.

Once this gig in Lincoln ends for Frost, what will be his next coaching job? Head Coach at an AAC school for less than half the money? Probably not. Maybe OC at an AAC school at a million year would be more than most make at that G5 level.

No doubt, somewhere in Frost's future will be another HC job. Look at Brady Hoke, Rich Rodriguez, Butch Jones, and a bunch of former failed HC's at big schools. Those type jobs at San Diego State, Arkansas State, etc are paying about 1.7M a year. Don't get me wrong, 1.7M can still pay the bills and then some.

NU would likely never get a Matt Roule if he flames out in the NFL making 8.5M a year.

A guy like Tom Herman was making 5M a year at Texas, and might be available at 2.5-3M a year with incentives for winning.

Dave Aranda is only making 2.5Mil a year at Baylor.

Either NU goes big with proven winners like Meyer, Ruhle, Aranda and a couple others, or NU takes one of those former HC's who previously flamed out. If NU is ever going to return to being a relevant factor in college football, tossing money at the right guy is the only way to go.

Granted, based on winning football, NU has a totally broken football program. But, the minute a guy like Meyer, Aranda or Ruhle would be hired the college football world would know NU IS serious about trying to turn this thing around.

A routine hire of Klieman, and those middle of the road guys won't say shit about this program being serious.

Just my opinion. NU, assuming Frost is let go, cannot afford another miss at Head Coach. NU is dangling by a thread for the last 2 decades and continue to fall deeper and deeper into the likes of being a non Top 50 team.
If this experiment fails this year, I think things behind the scene could be worked out for Frost and the university to save face. I know he said he wouldn’t step down, but what is he supposed to say after Week 0? He just looks so beat down from the same broken record.

Of the list, I’d be for Aranda. Yes, the next coach cannot be a miss. Get the checkbook out for the right guy (not necessarily the most flashy guy), but the one that can work with the players that are already here and put them in best position to win.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Sure he can still save his job by meeting whatever metric he needed (7wins, 8 wins, etc), but it’s really hard to see that happening after giving away a game to NW.

This team will go winless in conference play this year. Mabye get lucky against Rutgers or indiana, but I doubt it.

Sure he can still save his job by meeting whatever metric he needed (7wins, 8 wins, etc), but it’s really hard to see that happening after giving away a game to NW.
Unfortunately, it looks like every BIg Ten team on the schedule has the elements to abuse the NU defense. If you can't pressure the QB a team like Purdue will be a problem. Wiscy, Mich, Iowa, will almost run at will.

This is a bad year to have a defense that is tailor made for most of our opponent strengths.

Reactions: headcard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT