ADVERTISEMENT

Can Frost do what Ed O at LSU is doing...

HuskerBorn

Junior
Oct 23, 2009
A top to bottom clean out of nonproductive coaching staff members? Not easy to do but necessary to keep improving. I’m a big Frost supporter and stand behind him 100%. But he has to make some staff changes this office season. I just hope he can do what needs to be done. I’m keeping the faith. GBR!

A top to bottom clean out of nonproductive coaching staff members? Not easy to do but necessary to keep improving. I’m a big Frost supporter and stand behind him 100%. But he has to make some staff changes this office season. I just hope he can do what needs to be done. I’m keeping the faith. GBR!

Ed O is basically a care taker similar to an 80 year old Bobby Bowden. He spares no expense hiring the best assistants and coordinators that have to produce or they're out.

Reactions: jteten
Who would you like to see replaced?

Lets instead ask the question, is will he have the wisdom to know he needs to make changes? I don't doubt he will make changes if he thinks he needs to. its the realization that is a bigger unknown imo.

He's playing the long game because he knows he can. Don't expect major changes. They are all learning on the job. Let's hope it pays off in the long run with a successful, tightly-knit, loyal staff who embrace their roles and don't go shopping if/when the program turns the corner.

Reactions: bradyapple2020
He's playing the long game because he knows he can. Don't expect major changes. They are all learning on the job. Let's hope it pays off in the long run with a successful, tightly-knit, loyal staff who embrace their roles and don't go shopping if/when the program turns the corner.

He’s been a HC for 5 years, 3 in BIG. How long
do we give him and staff to “learn on the job”?
My eyes tell me this is a horribly coached team in every facet- offense, special teams, defense- ALL putrid

You mean, save his own job by throwing assistants under the bus? Yeah, maybe when he feels his seat getting really hot. But not yet.
If he wants to sink or swim with this shit staff, so be it. Another losing season next year, Frost better be the first one out the door.

Reactions: Danimal4NU
If he wants to sink or swim with this shit staff, so be it. Another losing season next year, Frost better be the first one out the door.
Not happening, nor should it. Many forget coaches are human. Meaning they can learn and adjust. He’s young and should be given time to figure it out.

Nobody worth a damn is going to come here if we’ve given three of our last four HCs no more than four years. We’ve gone through the quick firing routine twice already. I was on board with both decisions, but now it’s time to sit back, relax, and be patient, as frustrating as it can be.

Also if you look at next year’s schedule, we’re likely going to have another losing season unless Martinez plays better or Smothers plays better. Won’t do any good to call for his head till after 2023.

Maybe if one of them quits listening to Florida Georgia Line and doesn't volunteer for massage duty. And, starts singing WAP.

• Haha
Reactions: CatColumbia
I have a feeling that Dawson deserves a lot of the credit here...

I think Dawson has done a good job with the OLB's as they made the biggest improvement jump. Next year will be a challenge if Domann leaves. I think Ruud's group improved. I think the DL line group has been solid all year. I was disappointed with the play of our DB's for half the season but they turned it around in the 2nd half. Depth will be an issue there next year plus 2 new safeties. The DC has been fine except I hope in their post year review they take a look at their blitzes. I thought some of their blitzes were ineffective as they came from guys that were way too far off the line. I also thought the DB's played too far off the ball early in the year. That changed though as the season went along.

Offensively I was disappointed but I wouldn't make any changes. I thought the OL would be great but they had a few issues. I think the talent level is improving though so I want to keep Austin. There were some good signs. Wr's were a bit of a mess which surprised me. Again though I like our talent and we have to give Lubick more than a year. I was disappointed in the RB production but OL, lack of passing game, injuries and youth may have impacted that. I was a bit disappointed with QB but young wr, ol inconsistencies had something to do with that. Plus you are who you are no matter the coaching. I do like the talent in the room. I think the TE's were solid. Becton is going to look like the worlds greatest TE coach with Fidone,Carnie and Rollins coming in to supplement the group we already have. He ain't going nowhere.
I think the biggest change I would make is in the play calling selection and game management and I don't think Frost is firing himself.

Special teams is a huge issue yet. They got to fix that. There's no coach to change out there. I just think they need to dedicate more time to it. Stress that it's a 1/3 of the game.

It’s actually 9, with Nelson out there
No Nelson's a decent player, and he looks a lot better when Tannor isn't playing. We've had some bad players at linebacker over the years.. McKeon, Young, Barry. Tannor is 10x worse than any of them.

O has pressure to win. Evidently Frost can do as he wishes for five seasons.

Or perhaps he made a colossal mistake bringing in Pelini to coach a 4-3 matchup zone system for a bunch of players who were recruited into Dave Aranda's aggressive 3-4 system, which is built around the linebackers.

Orgeron was the idiot here.

Or perhaps he made a colossal mistake bringing in Pelini to coach a 4-3 matchup zone system for a bunch of players who were recruited into Dave Aranda's aggressive 3-4 system, which is built around the linebackers.

Orgeron was the idiot here.
He would have been better off bringing in Diaco rather than Bo. And no im not kidding.

Ed O is a recruiting savant and the ultimate face of LSU football. They will continue to stockpile talent, make coaching moves and compete for a title again within the next 2 years. I would worry mare about him having a heart attack than anything else. Dude looks like walking blood pressure. LSU absolutely nailed it with that guy. I’m a fan.

I still think our biggest issue is QB. We don’t have a killer at that position. I mean for God sake Tommy Armstrong could run this offense better than our top 2 guys. Defenses have zero fear of AM. When a team has a gamer at QB it changes how everyone plays. We have to continue to search for a true difference maker at QB. Hopefully smothers is that guy. If Frost is willing to burn another season hoping AM turns a corner then we will be having this same convo in 11 months.

He’s been a HC for 5 years, 3 in BIG. How long
do we give him and staff to “learn on the job”?
My eyes tell me this is a horribly coached team in every facet- offense, special teams, defense- ALL putrid
Defense is rated 7th in the B1G in total defense this year. Not great, not terrible and realistically about as good as Frost/Chin have ever lead and likely as good as it will be.

Reactions: oldjar07
if he gets a qb who can pass
And I hope he and his staff grow in their ability to evaluate QB talent then. AM, LM and Smothers were all very high (if not #1) on the QB board for Neb in the years they were signed.

My point is that if they have the QB talent but have failed to groom and grow them appropriately...that’s on the coaching staff. If, however, they just don’t have the necessary talent at QB....that is ALSO on the coaching staff.

Who's been more unproductive than the guy calling the plays?
Exactly, one of the most glaring issues this program has is play calling by Scott. As well as game management, penalties, etc. All things that fall on the head coach.

As far as coach O goes.. He is scapegoating a bunch of assistants, some that just won the national title with him a year ago to save his face. You had to see this coming last year, Ed O is not a great coach but he fell into maybe the most talented roster the history of college football with a qb that had the greatest season in the history of college football.

That defense wasn't great last year under Aranda but it didn't matter. With covid, opt outs, and the basic fact that the players in that program caved it in after the natty Bo should have definitely gotten another year.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Agree with other posts that have said Mario needs to be held accountable for really poor QB selctio

I think Dawson has done a good job with the OLB's as they made the biggest improvement jump. Next year will be a challenge if Domann leaves. I think Ruud's group improved. I think the DL line group has been solid all year. I was disappointed with the play of our DB's for half the season but they turned it around in the 2nd half. Depth will be an issue there next year plus 2 new safeties. The DC has been fine except I hope in their post year review they take a look at their blitzes. I thought some of their blitzes were ineffective as they came from guys that were way too far off the line. I also thought the DB's played too far off the ball early in the year. That changed though as the season went along.

Offensively I was disappointed but I wouldn't make any changes. I thought the OL would be great but they had a few issues. I think the talent level is improving though so I want to keep Austin. There were some good signs. Wr's were a bit of a mess which surprised me. Again though I like our talent and we have to give Lubick more than a year. I was disappointed in the RB production but OL, lack of passing game, injuries and youth may have impacted that. I was a bit disappointed with QB but young wr, ol inconsistencies had something to do with that. Plus you are who you are no matter the coaching. I do like the talent in the room. I think the TE's were solid. Becton is going to look like the worlds greatest TE coach with Fidone,Carnie and Rollins coming in to supplement the group we already have. He ain't going nowhere.
I think the biggest change I would make is in the play calling selection and game management and I don't think Frost is firing himself.

Special teams is a huge issue yet. They got to fix that. There's no coach to change out there. I just think they need to dedicate more time to it. Stress that it's a 1/3 of the game.
I don'T know why everyone is so tough on Frost. Read his headlines from 2017- but wait! I think we have been scammed. Take out 13-0 at Central Florida and his career record is 18-27. That gets you fired at the worst programs. If he was a native Iowan he would have been fired two years ago. Maybe we should drive out to Wood River to see if they are grooming his replacement. Time for excuses is gone. Iowa, Iowa State, Utah have all put up winning seasons in remote locations. Scott- last year to produce or be a man and move on to your Peter Principle as an assistant coach.

I don'T know why everyone is so tough on Frost. Read his headlines from 2017- but wait! I think we have been scammed. Take out 13-0 at Central Florida and his career record is 18-27. That gets you fired at the worst programs. If he was a native Iowan he would have been fired two years ago. Maybe we should drive out to Wood River to see if they are grooming his replacement. Time for excuses is gone. Iowa, Iowa State, Utah have all put up winning seasons in remote locations. Scott- last year to produce or be a man and move on to your Peter Principle as an assistant coach.
So if you take out his wins he mostly loses? Wow. Profound stuff.

Reactions: headcard
I am still a Frost supporter and believe he can turn things around. But it’s concerning seeing how many Husker fans are starting to doubt him and many that are ready to move onto to another coach. We aren’t getting a new coach.

ADVERTISEMENT