ADVERTISEMENT

Campbell wouldn't be in the picture.........

passrush1

Redshirt Freshman
Sep 18, 2017
omaha
We aren't going to pay Iowa State $10.5 million, his buyout (I've heard $7 million, but I've heard $10.5 numerous times, so I am assuming that number is correct).

Why does his name keep coming up? Are people not aware of the buyout?

Reactions: Redblood23
We aren't going to pay Iowa State $10.5 million, his buyout (I've heard $7 million, but I've heard $10.5 numerous times, so I am assuming that number is correct).

Oh but come on, this is Nebraska and we have $$$ growing on trees.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

People are well aware of it, not sure why you think Nebraska couldn’t pay it. Almost every coach will come with some sort of buyout, Frost is $3M BTW. If Campbell makes $1M less a year than a candidate with a lower buyout like Frost, it is basically breaking even.

Because we are desperate a coach that can demonstrate player and team development - no matter the talent level.

And NU continues to be a dumpster fire if MR remains.
Just threw in MR staying as a possibility of sorts, and it's a longshot right now with a tough NW team Saturday, and PSU on the road, plus Minny and Iowa, nothing more than very difficult games down the stretch. It would be a miracle on ice type of finish for NU if 4-0 happens.

It’s funny people think Nebraska doesn’t have the money and even more funny how people don’t understand the giagantic leaps in revenue schools earn when fielding a winning football program.
Paying Campbell’s buyout, his salary, his staffs salary and Riley’s buyout, would be more than justified if Campbell fielded a good team that actually performed.

People are well aware of it, not sure why you think Nebraska couldn’t pay it. Almost every coach will come with some sort of buyout, Frost is $3M BTW. If Campbell makes $1M less a year than a candidate with a lower buyout like Frost, it is basically breaking even.

I thought Frost was closer to the 5 mil. mark with his buyout?

It’s funny people think Nebraska doesn’t have the money and even more funny how people don’t understand the giagantic leaps in revenue schools earn when fielding a winning football program.
Paying Campbell’s buyout, his salary, his staffs salary and Riley’s buyout, would be more than justified if Campbell fielded a good team that actually performed.
in the 15-16 season we made 112m and had a "profit" of 8.4m at the time we were getting 22m from B1G we stand to get 40-50m from B1G this year. Year over Year our total revenue has gone up about 10% each year. Easily between 140-160m in revenue this year i dont know how much in leftover budget that will be but one has to imagine it will be significant.

I keep seeing all these (ok, only two that I can think of) different figures with buyouts. I think it was in a buyout thread where someone posted a link to coaches and their salary, bonuses, buyouts, etc. and I'm thinking that one had him listed as 4 something. I could've been reading it wrong though.
the 4.125 was what the school woudl owe him if they fired him the 3m is what he would owe the school or remainder of his contract earnings whichever is less if he left on his own to another school or what have ya.

I have a better shot winning a Grammy for Rap than Mike going 4-0.
It's all in the "presentation" that will get you that Grammy! :)

550w_madonna_and_vanilla_ice.jpg

the 4.125 was what the school woudl owe him if they fired him the 3m is what he would owe the school or remainder of his contract earnings whichever is less if he left on his own to another school or what have ya.
That's the same mistake everybody is making on the "buyout". The only official public number available is the money UCF would OWE Frost IF they fired him. There is not a reliable number I can find anywhere for what Frost would owe to get out of his contract. (247 is NOT reliable they're taking that from an erroneous story on a "sports news" site.) Several sports websites have the number at closer to $10M that Frost would have to come up with. The confusion comes from a USA Today article that posts the SCHOOL buyout of coaching contracts. Elsewhere on their website they describe the table and it clearly states that the number is WHAT THE SCHOOL OWES the coach IF they fire him. It's available for most public universities because it is a potential liability (debt) for the university. The amount a COACH would owe is not a liability therefore it doesn't have to be published. IF anybody can find an official document showing the $3M number as what Frost would owe fine, but until then the preponderous of stories I've seen put the number at closer to $10M which makes sense considering UCF is probably a better job than CSU and CSU had a $5M poison pill in McElwain's contract 5-6years ago. IF Campbell's is $9M......

Reactions: shocksker
That's the same mistake everybody is making on the "buyout". The only official public number available is the money UCF would OWE Frost IF they fired him. There is not a reliable number I can find anywhere for what Frost would owe to get out of his contract. (247 is NOT reliable they're taking that from an erroneous story on a "sports news" site.) Several sports websites have the number at closer to $10M that Frost would have to come up with. The confusion comes from a USA Today article that posts the SCHOOL buyout of coaching contracts. Elsewhere on their website they describe the table and it clearly states that the number is WHAT THE SCHOOL OWES the coach IF they fire him. It's available for most public universities because it is a potential liability (debt) for the university. The amount a COACH would owe is not a liability therefore it doesn't have to be published. IF anybody can find an official document showing the $3M number as what Frost would owe fine, but until then the preponderous of stories I've seen put the number at closer to $10M which makes sense considering UCF is probably a better job than CSU and CSU had a $5M poison pill in McElwain's contract 5-6years ago. IF Campbell's is $9M......
We have already been over this, one rumor doesnt excuse another. Several have 3m i know what the difference is. Speculation on your part on the high end, speculation on mine on the low end. We may never find out either

We have already been over this, one rumor doesnt excuse another. Several have 3m i know what the difference is. Speculation on your part on the high end, speculation on mine on the low end. We may never find out either
The diffierence is that I have actually done multiple searches of websites and newspapers. IF the Orlando Sentinel doesn't print it, it probably isn't reliable. The standard IF you were worried about you coach getting poached was >$5M 5-6 years ago. Campbell's is 9. Frost got a new contract this spring with a pay raise for him and his assistants. I find it very hard to believe that UCF would give him a new contract with a buyout less than Campbells. People need to quit putting the $3M number as if it's fact.

The diffierence is that I have actually done multiple searches of websites and newspapers. IF the Orlando Sentinel doesn't print it, it probably isn't reliable. The standard IF you were worried about you coach getting poached was >$5M 5-6 years ago. Campbell's is 9. Frost got a new contract this spring with a pay raise for him and his assistants. I find it very hard to believe that UCF would give him a new contract with a buyout less than Campbells. People need to quit putting the $3M number as if it's fact.
Frost has an out clasue if its NU, with no buy out. It was reported by the paper in Fla.

The thing is that those "poison pill" clauses aren't actually the norm. So your speculation that Frost has to have one on the same level as Campbell or McElwain is off-base.

A few comparable coaches from the last few years:
Tom Herman only had a $2.5 million buyout from his Houston contract.
Willie Taggert only had a $1.7 million buyout from his USF contract. (And only has a $3 million buyout from his Oregon contract.)
Justin Fuente only had a $500 thousand buyout from his Memphis contract.

I would guess that, in the absence of contrary evidence, that Frost's buyout is close to the $3-4 million that others have quoted.

Well, there's the proof.

So the buyout is actually only $850k? Or is it $850k for each season remaining in the contract? The language differs for termination ("one-half of the guaranteed base salary for the remainder of the term of the contract.") and for leaving for another job. ("One-half your guaranteed annual compensation.")

Either way, it's quite affordable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT