ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Jurgens

That is what my grandma calls it so I gotta let it go.
So your avatar, that girl ended up living in Omaha for awhile. I ended up getting the digits of her roomie and I of course was not interested in the roomie (she was not bad but not great either) so I kept trying to get the roomie to hook me up with Melissa. Of course the roomie smelled my plan from a mile away, she basically just ripped on Melissa non-stop, cutting her down and telling me how horrible she was, which of course just made me want her more.

Sadly, nothing happened.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
So your avatar, that girl ended up living in Omaha for awhile. I ended up getting the digits of her roomie and I of course was not interested in the roomie (she was not bad but not great either) so I kept trying to get the roomie to hook me up with Melissa. Of course the roomie smelled my plan from a mile away, she basically just ripped on Melissa non-stop, cutting her down and telling me how horrible she was, which of course just made me want her more.

Sadly, nothing happened.
Shane, you got cucked!

Sadly, nothing happened.
Did you try cash?

was named to the Dave Rimington Award watch list! 😀

In 2019 we started the year with 6 scholarship players (5 healthy) on the o-line getting the number to eight by giving So. Hixson a scholarship and converting Jurgens from TE. Jurgens then starts at 270 dripping wet coming of an offseason where he was injured and playing next to Hixson who also starts despite the fact he is borderline D1 athlete to begin with and was no where near game ready himself as a So. Want to be clear I am not dogging Hixson. I think he is perfectly suited to be a key backup on a power 5 line with two additional years of development.

That 2019 interior line might have been the worst in modern husker football history and possibly the worst in the big ten that year. No surprise that RS Freshman basically moved Hixson and Wilson out of the lineup the following year even without spring ball or a non con.

I guess my point is based on the fact that he played at least one if not two years before he was physically and probably developmentally ready and played next to some dudes that weren't P5 ready either due to talent or development I am a little hesitant to judge him to harshly at this point despite the performance and the snapping issues he has had. Just like I am hesitant to judge guys like Piper, Benhart, Robinson, Betts or Nelson. All guys I think are talented that we have gotten to watch struggle because this program didn't have suitable D1 players in those positions to allow them to develop and play when they were ready.

As for Jurgens, he now has the proper weight and development time to go along with strength and athleticism that were never in question. Even though we have trouble getting past the snapping issues and performance, the upside of this kids is absolutely legit. Expanding on that, I absolutely believe that Piper and Jurgens would have played and eventually started for Milt back in day. Just wouldn't have happened until there JR/Sr years. Corcoran is a whole different animal and would play early for most teams. Although it doesn't fit the narrative that we are doomed and that Frost sucks, tt is reasonable to believe the left side of that line with Jurgens, Piper and Corcoran get get really good really quick.

Personally really excited to see the Oline and WR's in 2021. Find a couple RB's and should have a fun offense to watch. Hopefully Jurgens is on a really short list for that award in 2022.

In 2019 we started the year with 6 scholarship players (5 healthy) on the o-line getting the number to eight by giving So. Hixson a scholarship and converting Jurgens from TE. Jurgens then starts at 270 dripping wet coming of an offseason where he was injured and playing next to Hixson who also starts despite the fact he is borderline D1 athlete to begin with and was no where near game ready himself as a So. Want to be clear I am not dogging Hixson. I think he is perfectly suited to be a key backup on a power 5 line with two additional years of development.

That 2019 interior line might have been the worst in modern husker football history and possibly the worst in the big ten that year. No surprise that RS Freshman basically moved Hixson and Wilson out of the lineup the following year even without spring ball or a non con.

I guess my point is based on the fact that he played at least one if not two years before he was physically and probably developmentally ready and played next to some dudes that weren't P5 ready either due to talent or development I am a little hesitant to judge him to harshly at this point despite the performance and the snapping issues he has had. Just like I am hesitant to judge guys like Piper, Benhart, Robinson, Betts or Nelson. All guys I think are talented that we have gotten to watch struggle because this program didn't have suitable D1 players in those positions to allow them to develop and play when they were ready.

As for Jurgens, he now has the proper weight and development time to go along with strength and athleticism that were never in question. Even though we have trouble getting past the snapping issues and performance, the upside of this kids is absolutely legit. Expanding on that, I absolutely believe that Piper and Jurgens would have played and eventually started for Milt back in day. Just wouldn't have happened until there JR/Sr years. Corcoran is a whole different animal and would play early for most teams. Although it doesn't fit the narrative that we are doomed and that Frost sucks, tt is reasonable to believe the left side of that line with Jurgens, Piper and Corcoran get get really good really quick.

Personally really excited to see the Oline and WR's in 2021. Find a couple RB's and should have a fun offense to watch. Hopefully Jurgens is on a really short list for that award in 2022.
So what you're saying is Frost needs at least 4 more years. I'm fine with that.

Great recap of the garbage Riley left us with and how we've had to try to fix it in less than ideal ways.

So what you're saying is Frost needs at least 4 more years. I'm fine with that.

Great recap of the garbage Riley left us with and how we've had to try to fix it in less than ideal ways.

No, I don't believe we need any more time for this to start looking like a good line. O-line can easily take four years given what Allen took over and how we have recruited (good not great) and it is now year 4. You have a RR 6.0 top 50 guy at left tackle in his second year, a RR 5.9 130 guy in in his third year at RT, a fourth year Center that was a 5.8 athlete that finally has size and without losing athleticism based on testing. On top of that we absolutely hit ball out of park with Piper as an instate DT recruit who is also in his third year. 3-4 legit dudes who have been in program at least three years competing for that last spot.

I wish Piper, Corcoran and Benhart had another year but no reason a competent O-line coach does not produce at least an above average Big Ten line with this group of players. If that doesn't happen this year I don't think there are any legitimate excuses left.

Reactions: BleedRed78
As much as we want to knock the kid, he did get it figured out when one of the former lineman helped with his technique. The kid has made some strides and I am actually one who is excited to watch him. If he continues to play like he did at the end of the year, we are in pretty good shape. Lot's of upside for him
Super disappointing that a former lineman coached him up in a matter of minutes and his own position coach couldn't make a dent in 2 years time. I mean, good on the lineman, not so much on Austin.

Super disappointing that a former lineman coached him up in a matter of minutes and his own position coach couldn't make a dent in 2 years time. I mean, good on the lineman, not so much on Austin.

This doesn't fully make sense to me. The lineman at Oregon and UCF had no trouble snapping nor did Farmer as far as I remember.

It is also funny how the short benching in the Iowa game seemed to correct the issue. I don't remember hardly any bad snaps in that Iowa game after that or at for Minnesota/Rutgers. It seems more like a focus issue and it that I am dissappointed it wasn't addressed with playing time prior to that short stint against Iowa.

Not saying that there weren't tweaks (lot of ways to swing a golf club with success) but acting like the coaches who have been coaching spread offenses simply don't know how to coach a kid properly honestly doesn't seam plausible given the track record outside of Jurgens.

This doesn't fully make sense to me. The lineman at Oregon and UCF had no trouble snapping nor did Farmer as far as I remember.

It is also funny how the short benching in the Iowa game seemed to correct the issue. I don't remember hardly any bad snaps in that Iowa game after that or at for Minnesota/Rutgers. It seems more like a focus issue and it that I am dissappointed it wasn't addressed with playing time prior to that short stint against Iowa.

Not saying that there weren't tweaks (lot of ways to swing a golf club with success) but acting like the coaches who have been coaching spread offenses simply don't know how to coach a kid properly honestly doesn't seam plausible given the track record outside of Jurgens.
They certainly didn't get through to him and the consequences for his multiple screwups were non-existent. I do expect the coaches to solve the problem one way or another. You let him know he's letting down the team.

Yes, the thing that is just routinely blown by when people bitch about the last few years of OL play is that in the days of The Pipeline, it was damn hard to see the field before a linemen's RS Junior year. This is Jurgens fourth year, which would be the year he would be in line to play. Prior Husker fans would have never been exposed to the at times horrific play of our lines, because those kids would have been watching the games from the sidelines and entering blowout games sometime in the second half.

Yes, the thing that is just routinely blown by when people bitch about the last few years of OL play is that in the days of The Pipeline, it was damn hard to see the field before a linemen's RS Junior year. This is Jurgens fourth year, which would be the year he would be in line to play. Prior Husker fans would have never been exposed to the at times horrific play of our lines, because those kids would have been watching the games from the sidelines and entering blowout games sometime in the second half.
It would be unfair to compare current offensive lines against those of 20 years ago, a better comparison would be to look at recruiting rankings and years of experience among other teams within the division or NCAA. I will agree that Juniors and seniors should perform better than freshman and sophomores the majority of the time. Strength training and experience should vary greatly from a freshman to a senior

Eh, sometimes things don't always stick, at least we had the luxury to have someone help him. Either way, I think this kid could be really good and I am excited for him instead of wanting to shit on him the entire time.

Reactions: poundth3rock
I'm optimistic about Jurgens and don't think he's as far away from being a great Center as a lot of people on here. The snapping has been inexcusable but I feel mid-season he hit rock bottom with and really improved that aspect later in the season, at least I don't recall any issues the last couple games which I know is small sample size. Aside from the snaps though I think he can really dominate and become a top Center in the league.

Did you try cash?
Several hundred dollar bills sticking out of your shirt pocket always seems to make girls smile..... I have multiple vehicles. It's amazing the different reactions I get when driving the "filthy farm truck" versus my wife's Jeep Overland. Money is a POWERFUL aphrodisiac.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT