ADVERTISEMENT

Calvin is N

You are all thinking like adults think. Is the kid being irresponsible when he commits and decommits so often? Hell yes. Would I rather he showed some maturity and just waited until he was sure? Hell yes. But he is 17 and thinking emotionally. Probably an impulsive kid who gets excited about a school and then makes a premature decision rooted in emotion.

I doubt he is deliberately trying to screw anyone over. He is also probably being pressured by parents and others.

I am sure our coaches are/were well aware of his potential to flip. Don't think this caught them by surprise.

Finally, not one person on this board (probably) knows the kid personally at all. But the coaches do and they thought he was worth the risk. Up until today everyone on here was yelling "yippee for Calvin!". Now some are trashing him.

Tomorrow can't come soon enough
I for one am not trashing him... I want him to decommit or confirm his commitment now so we can move on or get someone else in before signing day like Bryan Thompson... Since he committed Tony Wallace didn't even come in for a visit.

I for one am not trashing him... I want him to decommit or confirm his commitment now so we can move on or get someone else in before signing day like Bryan Thompson... Since he committed Tony Wallace didn't even come in for a visit.
How do you know he hasn't communicated with our coaches about his status? How do you know our coaches, who are well aware of his history of flipping, don't have a backup plan? I am not saying that the answer to those questions is necessarily in the affirmative, and I too wish he would just state publicly and for the record where he stands, but he is thinking like an emotional and, apparently, somewhat immature 17 year old. In a perfect world 17 year olds would all act responsibly. I am sure that everyone on this board, when they were 17, probably made very adult and responsible decisions all the time..... Not.

Edit: I should not have called out any posters for "trashing" him. That is too strong. Nobody on here is trashing the kid. My apologies. But I do think we are all being a little too judgmental. I include myself in that camp since just a few days ago I posted on here that the kid should probably just stay on the west coast if he was so iffy.

Choosing the college you go to is not the most important decision these kids make in their life. Overused statement. Not even close.

There are about a dozen decisions they have already made prior to coming to college. That are more important.

Choosing the college you go to is not the most important decision these kids make in their life. Overused statement. Not even close.

There are about a dozen decisions they have already made prior to coming to college. That are more important.
True to an extent. Obviously, you are making important decisions about your goals and so on, how you approach school, family, friends, etc...
But I think you are nitpicking to be honest. Obviously, the point of my post is that if you are a blue chip football player, choosing the college that will best prepare you for the future is a big, big decision. And for some kids it is very tough.

This.
Immaturity is no excuse. Plenty of 17 year olds know how to be respectful and act accordingly. Society as a whole needs to stop making excuses for poor behavior. My guess is these excuses have been made for him his whole life, which is no good for him, either. Now he's at risk of flaking out of college because of his emotional immaturity that was not corrected by his parents, teachers, or coaches.

Or maybe I'm being too harsh and we need to take the soft approach.

This.
Immaturity is no excuse. Plenty of 17 year olds know how to be respectful and act accordingly. Society as a whole needs to stop making excuses for poor behavior. My guess is these excuses have been made for him his whole life, which is no good for him, either. Now he's at risk of flaking out of college because of his emotional immaturity that was not corrected by his parents, teachers, or coaches.

Or maybe I'm being too harsh and we need to take the soft approach.

You are right... you are guessing. You have NO idea whatsoever how he was raised or what his general character level is. None. Nor am I using immaturity as an excuse to give him a pass. I am simply stating a fact. If you expect all 17 year olds to act in a totally mature fashion when making a big decision like this you are just being silly. Kids do not fall into two nice and neat categories: 1) Mature and raised properly or 2) immature and raised improperly. Most 17 year olds fall somewhere in the middle of that spectrum.

Yes, the kid should make a decision and stick to it. When it comes to his football recruitment he has been acting like a flake as you say. But to extrapolate from that to make some broad sweeping guess about the kid's overall character or the quality of his parenting I think is a bridge too far.

Anyway... I have made my point. No need to beat a dead horse. Obviously some on here disagree. That is cool.

Reactions: huskerj12
You are right... you are guessing. You have NO idea whatsoever how he was raised or what his general character level is. None. Nor am I using immaturity as an excuse to give him a pass. I am simply stating a fact. If you expect all 17 year olds to act in a totally mature fashion when making a big decision like this you are just being silly. Kids do not fall into two nice and neat categories: 1) Mature and raised properly or 2) immature and raised improperly. Most 17 year olds fall somewhere in the middle of that spectrum.

Yes, the kid should make a decision and stick to it. When it comes to his football recruitment he has been acting like a flake as you say. But to extrapolate from that to make some broad sweeping guess about the kid's overall character or the quality of his parenting I think is a bridge too far.

Anyway... I have made my point. No need to beat a dead horse. Obviously some on here disagree. That is cool.
Yeah, I know that's my guess...that's why I said it's "my guess". So why feel the need to talk to me like I was saying a definite fact?
And yes, I can use what I know about him to shape opinion on his character thus far. You did when you said he's acting like a flake.

Yeah, I know that's my guess...that's why I said it's "my guess". So why feel the need to talk to me like I was saying a definite fact?
And yes, I can use what I know about him to shape opinion on his character thus far. You did when you said he's acting like a flake.
I said he is acting like a flake in THIS situation. And he is. I did not go on from that to make a general judgment about the whole kid's life and the quality of his parenting as you did.

But I apologize if I misunderstood what you were trying to say when you said you were guessing. I like your posts. You are a good poster so I have no desire to get into an extended argument over this. We have both made our points. We will see tomorrow!

Peace

Calvin's commitment, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with Thompson or Wallace. Thompson is a take no matter what.

It looks like two straight classes Dubs has been played at the 12th hour. We'll know for certain within 20 hours...

Calvin's commitment, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with Thompson or Wallace. Thompson is a take no matter what.

It looks like two straight classes Dubs has been played at the 12th hour. We'll know for certain within 20 hours...
While I agree that being Calvin'd is frustrated as long as he keeps getting played by four and five star recruits than I'm fine with it. Nebraska isn't in any position to play the take it or leave it game with blue chips, at least not yet. This isn't the 90's. I hope you are correct on Thompson.

Reactions: Dean Pope
This poor kid seems really torn. We need to cut him some slack. He is trying to make the most important decision of his life so far.

Wherever he ends up I wish him well.

A ND beat writer said Calvin tried to commit to the Domers twice add that on top of OSU, NU twice (I believe) and now WSU.

While I like the young man's talent, I personally am glad he will probably end up elsewhere. This seems to be more than just an issue of being torn.

Reactions: MileHighHusker22
Find it odd that KW hasn't been active on Twitter... My guess is that he is working his ass off and that we will be pleasantly surprised tomorrow. Thoughts?

Reactions: HuskerLLM
While I agree that being Calvin'd is frustrated as long as he keeps getting played by four and five star recruits than I'm fine with it. Nebraska isn't in any position to play the take it or leave it game with blue chips, at least not yet. This isn't the 90's. I hope you are correct on Thompson.

Um, Nebraska was in great position to take that stance with Calvin. We had all kinds of WR recruiting momentum and he kept on pushing back his announcement, amongst other things that went on since the summer. The second he spurned us, on national TV in early January, is the second NU should've cleared their hands of Calvin. I don't care what he decides tomorrow, I stated this the day he picked up that Oregon State hat for the nation to see. @kaz36 can verify my thoughts on JC.

I give Dubs credit for staying after someone like Tyjon, but at the same time he has to read recruits better. Again, this is said regardless of who Calvin signs with tomorrow.

Dubs wanted 5 WR's in this class, with a 6th spot available only if Lewis wanted N. Let that sink in, he wanted 5 and it looks as if he'll get 3, unless someone comes out of nowhere tomorrow. I can tell you, and this board, as of 4:15 this afternoon, our staff is planning on 3 WR's signing tomorrow (KJJ, JMQ, TL) and that's it.

"This isn't the 90's", lulz, geezus.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Find it odd that KW hasn't been active on Twitter... My guess is that he is working his ass off and that we will be pleasantly surprised tomorrow. Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure KW has moved on from this situation. Don't expect JC to be signing with us.

This is the risk you take as a staff if you keep recruiting a kid. There aren't a lot of original suitors who are still involved with Calvin if you believe his offer list to begin with. Our staff had the opportunity to move on and chose not to. Others moved on.

In my opinion, if the staff thinks that Calvin was worth the risk and believes he will grow & mature once he gets to Lincoln, then I'm all for it. An open scholarship isn't the end of the world. There could be someone who pops up later in the process who they decide to take. The thing you don't want to do is reach for someone just to fill a spot.

Um, Nebraska was in great position to take that stance with Calvin. We had all kinds of WR recruiting momentum and he kept on pushing back his announcement, amongst other things that went on since the summer. The second he spurned us, on national TV in early January, is the second NU should've cleared their hands of Calvin. I don't care what he decides tomorrow, I stated this the day he picked up that Oregon State hat for the nation to see. @kaz36 can verify my thoughts on JC.

I give Dubs credit for staying after someone like Tyjon, but at the same time he has to read recruits better. Again, this is said regardless of who Calvin signs with tomorrow.

Dubs wanted 5 WR's in this class, with a 6th spot available only if Lewis wanted N. Let that sink in, he wanted 5 and it looks as if he'll get 3, unless someone comes out of nowhere tomorrow. I can tell you, and this board, as of 4:15 this afternoon, our staff is planning on 3 WR's signing tomorrow (KJJ, JMQ, TL) and that's it.

"This isn't the 90's", lulz, geezus.
valid point

Six freaking pages of this. If dude is this wishy-washy, he won't last wherever he goes.

If the kid was this wishy-washy the coaches should have moved on weeks ago and gotten another kid. The WR number was supposed to be up to 5 or 6 and we may only get 3. For all the talk this staff isn't recruiting at any higher level than Pelini's staff ... Hopefully we get a lot of surprises and we end up in the top 20 ... Otherwise it is very Peliniesque as far as rankings go

most of the fans have zero idea what he is going through. Most of us weren't highly sought after athletes. You base your opinions on what you believe you would do. But the truth is you are fans of Nebraska football and if you were offered by Nebraska as a high schooler you would have given your left nut to play there. These kids don't have that tie to the school or the program so the decision isn't based on a dream to play for Nebraska. His dream was probably to play for USC or UCLA or whoever. and when that didn't happen he now just wants to play at that high level. He obviously is confused about or, at best, uncertain of what he wants to do. He clearly didn't have much of a plan in making this decision. The fact is most families only get to do this once. So they don't have experience to draw from. And this is the biggest decision he is making right now.

I also find it quite odd that fans have no problem with a school having a plan B, and keeping that guy on the hook, until plan A decides but if a player keeps their plan B on the hook, well then, by golly, he needs to shit or get off the pot and quit playing games with the poor coaches. Get a grip.

If the school didn't want to play the game with this player, then pull the plug.

Once scholly limits were enforced does anyone know how the word spread on recruits back in the day? Did we accept commitments from plan B's or C's knowing full well that if plan A came through that the back up plans were told thanks but no thanks without the public really knowing?
I know Lemming had a recruiting magazine but not till signing day correct? Interesting how the media today influences what was once probably a very "behind the scenes" type of deal.

I also find it quite odd that fans have no problem with a school having a plan B, and keeping that guy on the hook, until plan A decides but if a player keeps their plan B on the hook, well then, by golly, he needs to shit or get off the pot and quit playing games with the poor coaches. Get a grip.

If the school didn't want to play the game with this player, then pull the plug.

I have noticed repeatedly that the sentiment is made that had Calvin just never committed, then we would have moved on and landed Thompson or Hawkins. Who said those players ever would have committed here had Calvin not committed? Who said those players have not been turned off by being the bridesmaids? We bemoan 18 year old recruits keeping universities hanging until the last minute when universities as institutions run by adults apparently keep certain recruits hanging until the last minute. It is a two-way street. Play the game. Run through the finish line. Get the best players on February 1st that you can sign.

most of the fans have zero idea what he is going through. Most of us weren't highly sought after athletes. You base your opinions on what you believe you would do. But the truth is you are fans of Nebraska football and if you were offered by Nebraska as a high schooler you would have given your left nut to play there. These kids don't have that tie to the school or the program so the decision isn't based on a dream to play for Nebraska. His dream was probably to play for USC or UCLA or whoever. and when that didn't happen he now just wants to play at that high level. He obviously is confused about or, at best, uncertain of what he wants to do. He clearly didn't have much of a plan in making this decision. The fact is most families only get to do this once. So they don't have experience to draw from. And this is the biggest decision he is making right now.

Yep. This.

How do you know he hasn't? Because he didn't announce it on twitter?

ADVERTISEMENT