ADVERTISEMENT

Bucs fire Lovie Smith after 2 seasons

huskerbux

Recruiting Coordinator
Aug 24, 2006
Omaha
wow. Bucs fan here and I was actually surprised with their season. New QB with all sorts of drama and he corralled it into a decent season. Playoff discussion well into December is more than I could've asked this year.
Two years? And people think Nebraska pulls the trigger too much! Eek

They have to have someone in mind, otherwise I do not get this move. Unless there is some big issue between Smith and his QB, nothing else makes much sense.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
I made that call to the higher ups for Lovie Smith to be fired. Couldn't cover a +20 point teaser spread last week against the Panthers. Had to be done.

wow. Bucs fan here and I was actually surprised with their season. New QB with all sorts of drama and he corralled it into a decent season. Playoff discussion well into December is more than I could've asked this year.
Had to be a rift between the GM and Lovie. This move makes no sense otherwise.

Sounds like coaching staff will be built around QB Winston - Lovie didn't fit that plan.

Sounds like coaching staff will be built around QB Winston - Lovie didn't fit that plan.
So you bring in a different offensive coordinator. Firing Lovie made no sense. Winston will end up meaning another half decade of futility at least for the Bucs which is fine with me. Go Vikes.

Very confusing move unless you have some reason to believe that he flat can't coach and you're saving some time. That's a bad team and to expect a whole lot out of it in 2 years is very foolish.

That move will make all NFL coaches despise high QB draft picks for years to come. Basically the owner will be telling them "You're going to be judged the same as if you have a good veteran behind center so you better figure it out, starting from the first spring practice" I know Winston showed some improvement, but I still think he'll never live up to the #1 pick and my bet is Lovie won't be the last coach he gets fired.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
I am in Tampa this week and even though this was front page news, no one seemed to care.

I am in Tampa this week and even though this was front page news, no one seemed to care.
Well its not like the had won anything yet and if you hadn't noticed, Tampa isn't exactly a rabid Buc football town.

I am not a big Lovie Smith fan, but I am not a Lovie Smith hater either. Statistically if you look at Tampa, they were 5th in the NFL in total yard and 10th in Total defense. Really good numbers, especially with a rookie QB. It kind of sounds like they wanted to make sure that they kept Dirk Koetter and he may get the job.

As a Bears fan, I never liked Lovie. You will be better off without him. He made questionable decisions every game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT